Healing the Gut Tribe--January 2007 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to let you know...my ds's tongue was clipped the first time by my FCP because the mod on vegsource contacted an authority on tongue ties and had her talk my FCP through the procedure. She told her what to look for, and what and how far to cut. Clearly my doc had done frenulectomies before, but this was her first anterior/posterior tie. She was very comortable doing it in the end after reading Dr. Betty's stuff and being talked through it. So it's possible to do it with a doc who knows next to nothing.

You could also have an over the phone consult with her privately. She's huge into gut healing too. She's wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Would you assume that there were environmental contributers to my face/allergy stuff if it gets aggrevated when I clean? I have been doing some serious cleaning with a serious vacuum cleaner and I can tell that I am being affected. I have always been sensitive to dust, etc, so I don't know if this is just an aspect of that or not. It seems really crazy to me to think that I am reacting to my dirty house. Although, who knows, but I guess I am more inclined to think that I am already sensitive, so am reacting because my immune system is not functioning optimally. Thoughts?
if you're already histamined up to the hilt, a little more dust mite allergen thrown in would certainly worsen things. i didn't vacuum for years, i used a dust mop that i'd shake out the window in a room i wasn't in, then pull the window shut immediately after. for furniture i'd use a cotton rag wrung out in hot water so the dust would stick, then rinse it. dh would vacuum the rugs when i was out.

does your vacuum have a hepa filter? since i got one i can vacuum again, because it really doesn't put the dust into the room. and i can dust with the hand attachments, which is much faster than the wet rag routine, so i do it more often. you can get hepa type vacs from target, etc. these days, 150+.

my signature is usually illegible
#303 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
does your vacuum have a hepa filter? since i got one i can vacuum again, because it really doesn't put the dust into the room. and i can dust with the hand attachments, which is much faster than the wet rag routine, so i do it more often. you can get hepa type vacs from target, etc. these days, 150+.
Yes, it does. I think the one I am currently using has two filters (borrowing my parents'). Our house is very old, so it has a lot of old dirt. And living in the city, it gets quite dirty that way too.

After all my excitment about the rash being better, or at least not as severe, it is back today -- puffy eyes, red & itchy skin....blech.
#304 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

moonshine--you really might want to think about taking a look at failsafe or something like that. It sounds to me like reducing your total chemical load might help you.
#305 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Nolansmum or anybody else who may know –

I’ve been reading up no the FAILSafe diet and also looking into sulfur as potential issues. The list of high amine foods doesn’t immediately seem to match our issues, but as I read through the list of high sulfur foods, many of dd’s triggers are there. But I’m stumped on some of what I think are the basics of the whole sulfur issue. I’ve joined the yahoo sulfur group, but a lot of what I’m reading is way above my head right now, and many of those folks seem to need more sulfur (not less). And then I read “it takes sulfur to manage sulfur.” Ok, not sure what that means, but it leads me to believe maybe just eliminating high sulfur isn’t the right thing to do.

So, that was a long way to ask – Does anybody have a link to a good “sulfur 101” kind of overview, specifically focused on people who seem to react to high sulfur foods?
#306 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Nolansmum or anybody else who may know –

I’ve been reading up no the FAILSafe diet and also looking into sulfur as potential issues. The list of high amine foods doesn’t immediately seem to match our issues, but as I read through the list of high sulfur foods, many of dd’s triggers are there. But I’m stumped on some of what I think are the basics of the whole sulfur issue. I’ve joined the yahoo sulfur group, but a lot of what I’m reading is way above my head right now, and many of those folks seem to need more sulfur (not less). And then I read “it takes sulfur to manage sulfur.” Ok, not sure what that means, but it leads me to believe maybe just eliminating high sulfur isn’t the right thing to do.

So, that was a long way to ask – Does anybody have a link to a good “sulfur 101” kind of overview, specifically focused on people who seem to react to high sulfur foods?
check out this site, if you haven't already: http://www.canarys-eye-view.org/chal...lfurfoods.html

and this is the corrected link for the Sulfur paper at Thorne Research: http://www.thorne.com/media/sulfur.pdf

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#307 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Nolansmum--if your DS ate cooked carrots and avocado (uncooked), did he digest those? DD doesn't digest either and I'm not sure if that's normal at this age or not. Also, how does he do with digesting meats and what meats do you give him?
#308 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 04:41 PM

No gall stones. Ugh! I'm frustrated. I wanted a quick easy answer so I could move on.

I think I need to call the other Dr that my Dr recomended. This one didn't exactly listen to me although he seemed very nice. I also got a lecture about parenting from him and all he knew is that my dd doesn't sleep well. Obviously that is my fault.

Gotta go today she doesn't nap well either.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#309 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM

So my ND ordered the leaky gut test. I'm waiting for it to arrive. Meanwhile, I'm out of my probiotics. I've been taking the Pharmax HLC probiotics. I get these from my ND. I've looked at the custom probiotics page too. Are those better? Should I switch?

Also, what's the deal with FOS??? It seems like there's mixed reviews about it.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#310 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM

Hi all,
Just wanted to update everyone on our progress using EFT for our yeast issues... It's going SO GREAT!! I'm so excited!!! After months of half-hearted improvements, no matter how strictly I adhered to the diet and took my meds, we're finally getting somewhere! DD's tongue is looking great, it's almost cleared up!! Yay! My breasts are getting much better, the white is receeding and the areolas look darker than they've looked in months... Yay! Yay! I SO LOVE EFT! I'm feeling so much more optimistic about getting rid of this. My eczema is also 75% better, it just looks like really dry skin now. No more waking up to bloody sheets from middle of the night scratching episodes!!

If you don't know about EFT, check it out here. And if anyone wants the tapping statements I used, PM me and I'll send them to you.

My game plan is to first tap/treat/work on the yeast issues, get rid of those, then tap/treat/work on the leaky gut issues, get rid of those, and then tap/treat/work on the food intolerances/allergies, and get rid of those. EFT is so GREAT!!
#311 of 390 Old 01-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Nolansmum--if your DS ate cooked carrots and avocado (uncooked), did he digest those? DD doesn't digest either and I'm not sure if that's normal at this age or not. Also, how does he do with digesting meats and what meats do you give him?
This would be a good question to ask on failsafe baby.

I don't know what normal is, but it seems like whatever DS eats, his poop is that color. Sometimes the food comes out undigested (green beans, some grains.)It also smells like whatever food he has eaten, I think this is better than the vinegar it used to smell like. His poop is also solid now, it used to always be too soft. I don't know what his body would do with carrots or avocado. DS is eating turkey, chicken, veal, and lamb. When I put a few foods in front of him at a time, he always picks the meat first.

We had a bad day yesterday, DS's cheeks were so red and itchy. It took me until last night when he couldn't sleep to figure out that the veal we had eaten must have been high in amines. We are both very sensitive to amines. I got so angry after dinner (because of the amines)last night I picked an argument with DH, I was an emotional mess. Now that we are getting reactions for fewer things it is easier to pinpoint what is causing them.

We create our own reality.
#312 of 390 Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Just got back from the GI doc. He told me that I have a hiatal hernia. Anyone have any experience with this?
#313 of 390 Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Just got back from the GI doc. He told me that I have a hiatal hernia. Anyone have any experience with this?
not personally, but it's pretty common, i see it in people's medical history fairly often (at work as an inpatient PT). did the GI outline treatment options?

my signature is usually illegible
#314 of 390 Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
not personally, but it's pretty common, i see it in people's medical history fairly often (at work as an inpatient PT). did the GI outline treatment options?
Aciphex (acid reducer) for 6 weeks or so and a high-protein, low fat diet.
#315 of 390 Old 01-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Moonshine - many people have HH's.... Ive heard of Chiro being used to adjust it.... Are you still trying the GRJ?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#316 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Ooooooh, it's exactly the diet you have been longing for
#317 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Hm, why this diet?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#318 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Hm, why this diet?
Apparently it is fatty foods (and acidic, etc) that cause the spincter to weaken further and allow more stuff to flow up. I believe the thought process is that after taking the meds, to lower stomach acid, allowing the stomach to heal, you then follow this diet for life and live with it. Nice, huh?

I am still not convinced I actually have too much stomach acid. Other than my home tests (baking soda), I am not sure how to check that.
#319 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Apparently it is fatty foods (and acidic, etc) that cause the spincter to weaken further and allow more stuff to flow up. I believe the thought process is that after taking the meds, to lower stomach acid, allowing the stomach to heal, you then follow this diet for life and live with it. Nice, huh?

I am still not convinced I actually have too much stomach acid. Other than my home tests (baking soda), I am not sure how to check that.
Do you get reflux, indigestion, or that sort of thing after meals? If you do you can try taking about 1 T. of apple cider vinegar with some water. If symptoms go away or improve, you have too little stomach acid. If it makes it worse or shows no improvement, try 1 tsp. of baking soda in 8 oz of water. If it shows improvement then, it's too much stomach acid. I would try the vinegar first because most people have too little stomach acid, not too much.
#320 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Do you get reflux, indigestion, or that sort of thing after meals? If you do you can try taking about 1 T. of apple cider vinegar with some water. If symptoms go away or improve, you have too little stomach acid. If it makes it worse or shows no improvement, try 1 tsp. of baking soda in 8 oz of water. If it shows improvement then, it's too much stomach acid. I would try the vinegar first because most people have too little stomach acid, not too much.
Some time ago, I had a bought of severe nausea. I started taking prilosec and then nexeum which relieved the pain. I have since stopped those medications and don't feel any nausea. The only thing I really feel is that I need to spit after brushing my teeth and when in the shower or bath. After meals, I get a distended stomach, but I don't feel bloated. It is something I have to look at to know I have.

All the I have read on hiatal hernia doesn't ring true to me. I can buy that I might have reflux. Even when the doc was explaining this stuff to me, he talked about the sphincter not working properly, not that my stomach was in a place it shouldn't be.
#321 of 390 Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Read this
Researchers blame bacteria for intestinal disorder

Weinstock is the GI I'm seeing next month.

our family is <>< and :
#322 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

bump...where is everybody?
#323 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 AM

I was just looking for this thread to bump it, but caedymn bet me to it.

Speaking of missing folks, any word from Annikate?
#324 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMommy View Post
Hi all,
Just wanted to update everyone on our progress using EFT for our yeast issues... It's going SO GREAT!! I'm so excited!!! After months of half-hearted improvements, no matter how strictly I adhered to the diet and took my meds, we're finally getting somewhere! DD's tongue is looking great, it's almost cleared up!! Yay! My breasts are getting much better, the white is receeding and the areolas look darker than they've looked in months... Yay! Yay! I SO LOVE EFT! I'm feeling so much more optimistic about getting rid of this. My eczema is also 75% better, it just looks like really dry skin now. No more waking up to bloody sheets from middle of the night scratching episodes!!

If you don't know about EFT, check it out here. And if anyone wants the tapping statements I used, PM me and I'll send them to you.

My game plan is to first tap/treat/work on the yeast issues, get rid of those, then tap/treat/work on the leaky gut issues, get rid of those, and then tap/treat/work on the food intolerances/allergies, and get rid of those. EFT is so GREAT!!
I've been trying out eft and haven't managed to do anything yet with it. I've talked to dd about doing it to her and for some reason she is kinda freaked out by it. Thinks I'll poke her in the eye.

Are you tapping your dc or tapping yourself?

our family is <>< and :
#325 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I've been trying out eft and haven't managed to do anything yet with it. I've talked to dd about doing it to her and for some reason she is kinda freaked out by it. Thinks I'll poke her in the eye.

Are you tapping your dc or tapping yourself?
I have also been using EFT for the past few days. I think I am seeing some things happening. I've been doing on DS too (while he is nursing) I don't really know how to do the surrogate tapping, but I am making the best go of it that I can. He has been very tired that past couple of days and has been sleeping a lot, so I hope it is his body trying to heal. I mostly tap myself. I have 3 sheets of paper filled with ideas for the basic set up. Seems like the art of it is all in the phrases you use to set everything up. Right now I don't really know what to think of it other than I am going to keep trying because it can only help us to have some positive thinking going on.

We create our own reality.
#326 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 AM

Yea where is everyone?

Tomorrow I see my normal Dr (who is also a homeopath but not classical) and my chiro that I trust for all things strange and internal to try to figure out what is going on with me and what can be done (before I meet the new GI and he wants to cut me open to extract my gall bladder.) I've done more reading and I think it is very likely that it is my gall bladder. I've started taking some tumeric. Anyone have any other good ideas? I want to feel good again!

Oh and we took dd to her 3 year well visit on Friday. (same family Dr who is a homeopath). He gave her a homeopathic to take to try to ward off colds (7 since I started counting in the begining of Sept). And ordered some pancreas something for her to take because he said that food allergies is a result of an underfunctioning pancreas. We'll see.

AND, at her chiro appointment on thurs we had an interesting discovery. The chiro was adjusting her and said something like "enjoy bountiful abundant sleep" and her back went out. So she adjusted her again and again said the same phrase and it happened again! Somehow she has some sort of deep seated sleep anxiety. Now how to correct it. EFT seems perfect but I can't get her to do it...

I ran out of no fenol a couple of days ago and realized just how much that is helping her digestion of veggies. They are coming out undigested again. Thankfully that helps! But it doesn't erase the dark circles under her eyes.

I'm very interested in this discussion of reflux. I'm having that as well as the gall bladder stuff (and probably symptoms that will get me an ibs dx as well.) Not sure if that can all be gall bladder related or not but I'm tired of food making me feel sicker than fasting does.

our family is <>< and :
#327 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 AM

You all have me thinking about EFT. I downloaded the manual some time ago, but haven't done anything with it. I also recently got to thinking that I could use some positive affirmations.

I am seeing an allergist/immunologist on Wed. : that it is worth my time. I am now thinking getting tested for heavy metals would be good. DD1 had high levels when she was tested at a year, which we think was due to the renovations we were doing at the time. We got her levels down, but the rest of us never got tested. I tend to get a skin rash if I stay in our bathtub too long, which is an old clawfoot. And has someone reminded me this weekend, what is in those old tubs is lead. I do have one amalgam, but never really thought about it. DH has a mouthful, but he is of course totally fine. Or so it seems.

I am also seeing a homeopath on Friday. Not even sure if he is a classical one or not, but he came recommended to me and isn't horribly expensive. Did I mention I am getting a colonoscopy on Monday? : Not that I really relish the thought of someone prodding up my you know what, but at this point, since this doc is more than happy to do it (and it is paid for) I would like to know if there is anything to know.

I am still confused on what to do with my diagnosis from the endoscopy. I am told that my stomach lining is red and inflamed (and my esophagus). So he tells me to take meds to reduce stomach acid. But I am not convinced that I have too much acid. My tests at home tell me I don't. But then why red and inflamed, or more to the point, what to do about it?

I have read about the failsafe diet, and while I think it would be worth trying out, I have only been able to halfheartedly stick to it. I think I might be tapped out for the moment on diets. Seems like whatever I do doesn't help (not entirely true, but YKWIM), so I think that I am having trouble finding it in me to start something new again.
#328 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Speaking of missing folks, any word from Annikate?
She's taking a break from HTG right now.
#329 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

pattyla & moonshine--

moonshine--I'm pretty sure there is an actual test they can order to tell if you really do have low stomach acid. As far as the irritated stomach lining, can you take/eat some things that are soothing? How are you with dairy? Yogurt is supposed to be soothing. Slippery elm bark powder is also supposed to be good for stomach irritation IIRC. Oh, and bone broths would be good, too.

pattyla--have you looked at the failsafe diet at all? I read that people who had persistant yeast symptoms that wouldn't go away no matter what they did finally healed on that diet.
#330 of 390 Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
moonshine--I'm pretty sure there is an actual test they can order to tell if you really do have low stomach acid. As far as the irritated stomach lining, can you take/eat some things that are soothing? How are you with dairy? Yogurt is supposed to be soothing. Slippery elm bark powder is also supposed to be good for stomach irritation IIRC. Oh, and bone broths would be good, too.
I don't feel like I have an irritated stomach -- it is just what I was told. I still have constipation, or rather, again and bloating after eating. This is why I am interested in the colonoscopy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page