Healing the Gut Tribe--January 2007 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I just vent for a minute? So, I broke down and did allergy testing for dd (7 mos) because I'm so tired of guessing. I was pretty happy with what the doc suggested as far as the tests, and then super happy when she was willing to do a few more things I wanted that most traditional allergists dismiss. Ok, so now comes the part where I'm not happy. They have had the results in their office since last Thursday. I called Thursday, Friday, and today, only to keep hearing "the dr. hasn't read the results yet, and we don't know when she will get to it." I get that to them it's only been 3 business days, but to a momma tired of watching her child in pain, it's been 5 looooooonnnnnnnngggggg days of waiting. And it is driving me crazy because I know they are sitting there if only I could get my hands on them! They won't release the results to me until the dr. has read them "because it is their policy." And the lab won't release the results directly to me. I am so frustrated.

I'm not quite to this point yet, but just in case ---anyone know what my rights are in this situation? Can I legally demand the info? The dr. officially "ordered" the tests from the lab, so I can see that they have an out not to release it, but I don't know about the dr. office. Since they aren't saying "no" but instead "not yet" I don't know how that plays out. This is driving me crazy (can you tell I'm not a patient person).

Ok, deep breathing. This stress is surely not helping my leaky gut . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Can I just vent for a minute? So, I broke down and did allergy testing for dd (7 mos) because I'm so tired of guessing. I was pretty happy with what the doc suggested as far as the tests, and then super happy when she was willing to do a few more things I wanted that most traditional allergists dismiss. Ok, so now comes the part where I'm not happy. They have had the results in their office since last Thursday. I called Thursday, Friday, and today, only to keep hearing "the dr. hasn't read the results yet, and we don't know when she will get to it." I get that to them it's only been 3 business days, but to a momma tired of watching her child in pain, it's been 5 looooooonnnnnnnngggggg days of waiting. And it is driving me crazy because I know they are sitting there if only I could get my hands on them! They won't release the results to me until the dr. has read them "because it is their policy." And the lab won't release the results directly to me. I am so frustrated.

I'm not quite to this point yet, but just in case ---anyone know what my rights are in this situation? Can I legally demand the info? The dr. officially "ordered" the tests from the lab, so I can see that they have an out not to release it, but I don't know about the dr. office. Since they aren't saying "no" but instead "not yet" I don't know how that plays out. This is driving me crazy (can you tell I'm not a patient person).

Ok, deep breathing. This stress is surely not helping my leaky gut . . .
The results would be part of her medical records, right? They have to release your medical records to you if you ask (you may have to pay a copying fee), as far as I know.
#243 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:07 PM

IME noone in the office can deliver the news until the doc has read them, because they are not insured to interpret the results. However in the future you could ask that a copy be sent directly to you, and if you called the office you should be able to pick up a copy. I really hate those power struggles. I'm so sorry. Hopefully you will know soon!
#244 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM

nolansmum, how do you do that failsafe plan? Where do you get your meat? It looks so hard to do -- no leftovers, cook meat immediately, etc. I just don't know how I would do it, but I have to try something. SCD didn't do it for me, but I don't know what else to do.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#245 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
What do you do about meats?
Meats and any food that has protein forms amines as it ages. Cooking for a long time, charring, browning also creates amines. Freezing slows down the process but doesn't stop it. I buy my meat fresh (my local whole foods meat has been good, they package their meat daily) then I freeze it in serving size portions. I quickly defrost in warm water and cook only what we eat, ie. no meat leftovers. I only buy enough meat for 1-2 weeks. The meat shouldn't be frozen for longer than a month.

Pork, liver, anything aged (like a good steak) is high in amines. I have yet to search out a good fish source, the best is to go from live to table in a day, or flash frozen.

Does that answer your question?

We create our own reality.
#246 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post

Does that answer your question?
More or less...when are you planning to start the challenge?
#247 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
nolansmum, how do you do that failsafe plan? Where do you get your meat? It looks so hard to do -- no leftovers, cook meat immediately, etc. I just don't know how I would do it, but I have to try something. SCD didn't do it for me, but I don't know what else to do.
I don't eat meat at every meal, like I had been on SCD.I find I am spending far less time in the kitchen than I was on SCD because our meals are simple, grains, veggies, sometimes meat and sometimes beans/lentils. I feel ok about leaving a steamed veggie in the fridge for the day, or to take for lunch, but I don't leave them overnight. I also have some cooked veggies, beans, lentils, rice in the freezer so I can quickly thaw them to eat. This seems to be fine for us so far. Although I would like to do a rotation it is just too much for me right now, maybe after a couple months on the diet I will be able to work it out. I plan out what we are going to have for each meal the night before so I can soak what I need plus a little extra for the freezer.

#248 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
More or less...when are you planning to start the challenge?
We have to get to a baseline without any symptoms first. It could take another month or more. I won't start with wheat as my first challenge either. I'm thinking maybe egg or raw milk if I can get my hands on some to try without buying a cowshare. Eggs can be high in amines too so I will have to buy them as fresh as possible(1-2 days from being laid.) The other problem with eggs is that some people react if the yolk is cooked to much( hard boiled or scrambled).

#249 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

firefaery (or anyone else who knows)--do you know if eczema can be caused solely by yeast, or does it tend to have a food reaction component?
#250 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We have to get to a baseline without any symptoms first. It could take another month or more.
This is one of my big hang-ups about any of the diets that I think might help DD (failsafe, rotation, low-sulfite or low-acidic food diets)--I don't think they will be good for me because I would end up eating a lot of grains and probably fruit and I don't think I'm ready for that. Also I don't think I would be able to do water kefirs, kombucha, or fermented foods on any of them, and I really think I need those. Obviously I don't want to make my health more important than DD's, but I don't want to lose the progress I've made for myself, either. Plus anything that has a negative impact on me is going to have a negative impact on her at some point.
#251 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
firefaery (or anyone else who knows)--do you know if eczema can be caused solely by yeast, or does it tend to have a food reaction component?
Yeast is not the sole cause by any means. I mostly see people have eczema as a response to foods.
#252 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Yeast is not the sole cause by any means. I mostly see people have eczema as a response to foods.
I didn't mean that yeast is the only thing that can cause eczema, I was trying to ask if an individual person's eczema could be caused by yeast without any contributing food factors. That answers the question I tried to ask, though!
#253 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Nolansmum--how long after you or your DS eat a high-salicylate food would you see an eczema flare-up? I stopped eating tomatoes for 10 days and then on the third day after I re-introduced them DD had an eczema flare-up. Of course, tomatoes are high in salicylates AND sulfites. But I did just start giving DD solids again so it could have been one of those, or the bath she got that same morning, maybe a reaction to something in the soap although I've been using it all along (she only gets a bath every 7-10 days).
#254 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Dd has had very mucousy spit ups for about a month now...I mean thick, globby, mucous mixed w/milk. Is this normal, or another reaction to something I'm eating? It's kind of like what you would cough up when you have a cold...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#255 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Is that relatively new in the last month or has it gotten progressively worse? Does she sound rattly when she breathes? Is the mucus only in the spit up, or do you ever see it in the poop as well? How often does she spit up, and does she ever seem to choke on it?
#256 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Is that relatively new in the last month or has it gotten progressively worse? Does she sound rattly when she breathes? Is the mucus only in the spit up, or do you ever see it in the poop as well? How often does she spit up, and does she ever seem to choke on it?
I guess it has gotten progressively worse. She does sound rattly when breathing, but not all the time...it drives me crazy though because I just want to clear her throat! It must be so annoying to her. I only see mucous in poop when she reacts to somethign I eat. Her reactions are all different depending on the food, but I haven't really switched anything in my diet since this first started. She spits it up about 3-4 times a day now, but never seems to choke on it. She usually cries when it happens though, or at least when the big ones happen

Poor girl...she's been through so much already...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#257 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
This is one of my big hang-ups about any of the diets that I think might help DD (failsafe, rotation, low-sulfite or low-acidic food diets)--I don't think they will be good for me because I would end up eating a lot of grains and probably fruit and I don't think I'm ready for that. Also I don't think I would be able to do water kefirs, kombucha, or fermented foods on any of them, and I really think I need those. Obviously I don't want to make my health more important than DD's, but I don't want to lose the progress I've made for myself, either. Plus anything that has a negative impact on me is going to have a negative impact on her at some point.
Yes, all these thoughts occurred to me also. But, I feel so much better on Failsafe than on SCD. Right now I don't feel like yeast is our problem. I have been eating carbs, grains, a tiny amount of sugar (maple syrup), and pears and the symptoms that I thought were yeast related (vaginal itching, some of DS's stimming, my eczema-itchy skin) have gone away. I am not taking any supplements, I thought for sure with no B complex I would loose all my steam and I haven't felt this good in I don't know how long. I can only remember always being exhausted, lethargic, and not being able to keep up with the housework (even before the baby.) I also thought I was just a lazy person because I would look at what everyone else could do energy wise and I could not keep up. I feel like a fog has lifted (although it comes back if I eat the wrong things). Now, when I am feeling good I have so much energy. It's hard to believe that in 2 weeks I have come so far, and we aren't even at baseline yet.

So giving up all those things I thought I needed turned out to be the best thing for me, and in turn for DS.

Quote:
Nolansmum--how long after you or your DS eat a high-salicylate food would you see an eczema flare-up? I stopped eating tomatoes for 10 days and then on the third day after I re-introduced them DD had an eczema flare-up. Of course, tomatoes are high in salicylates AND sulfites. But I did just start giving DD solids again so it could have been one of those, or the bath she got that same morning, maybe a reaction to something in the soap although I've been using it all along (she only gets a bath every 7-10 days).
half hour to 2 days for sals/amine reaction, either with eczema, itching, or behavior. I think as we heal the reactions will be more obvious to us.

#258 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, all these thoughts occurred to me also. But, I feel so much better on Failsafe than on SCD. Right now I don't feel like yeast is our problem. I have been eating carbs, grains, a tiny amount of sugar (maple syrup), and pears and the symptoms that I thought were yeast related (vaginal itching, some of DS's stimming, my eczema-itchy skin) have gone away. I am not taking any supplements, I thought for sure with no B complex I would loose all my steam and I haven't felt this good in I don't know how long. I can only remember always being exhausted, lethargic, and not being able to keep up with the housework (even before the baby.) I also thought I was just a lazy person because I would look at what everyone else could do energy wise and I could not keep up. I feel like a fog has lifted (although it comes back if I eat the wrong things). Now, when I am feeling good I have so much energy. It's hard to believe that in 2 weeks I have come so far, and we aren't even at baseline yet.

So giving up all those things I thought I needed turned out to be the best thing for me, and in turn for DS.

half hour to 2 days for sals/amine reaction, either with eczema, itching, or behavior. I think as we heal the reactions will be more obvious to us.
The thing is, I feel really good now and am pretty much symptom free (other than a couple of minor detox symptoms that I know are from kombucha), so I don't want to mess with that. And I know from past experience that grains and beans cause digestive problems for me even if they're soaked/sproated. I may have to make some changes, though.

Do you know if water kefirs would be allowed on failsafe or would they be considered high in amines like fermented foods? And you can't use any herbs/spices on failsafe, can you?
#259 of 390 Old 01-15-2007, 10:44 PM

was she ever evaluated for a tongue tie? Do you have discomfort nursing at all? Has an IBCLC ever one a suck assessment on her?
#260 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 AM

i read your tongue tie posts in the december thread, including about peristalsis through the GI tract being affected. from the info you gave (signs) i have suspicions that my 2 and 5 yo's have some tongue tie. in fact the 2yo was Rx'd shortly after birth by a CST, but she implied she'd done enough after ~5 visits. so i'm wondering if there's reason to have something done at these ages, and if so, what?

my signature is usually illegible
#261 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 AM

The reasons to do something would be to help allergies, optimize digestive function, head off and/or correct any dental problems, deal with speech problems, prevent sleep apnea, help with sinus pressure and pain, and clear up chronic congestion.

That said, dd (almost 3) is tied in the labial and lingual frenulum and I haven't addressed it yet. I know I have to and don't really know what I am waiting on. You can still have them clipped (there were several cases presented of adults who were clipped and saw major results) but it would require some anaesthesia. It could be topical, but if the kiddo won't sit **** it would have to be general. My dd would require general.

A CST may have helped to stretch the frenulum a bit, and perhaps widen the palate. Based on what I have learned it may not be enough.

Mum2be, the reason I asked is that a classic presentation is that mucus that just doesn't go away but seems to stay in the throat. It's what you are describing-it just drives you nuts because all day long you are just waiting for them to clear their throats. I spent months clearing my throat because listening to it bothered me so much!
#262 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
The thing is, I feel really good now and am pretty much symptom free (other than a couple of minor detox symptoms that I know are from kombucha), so I don't want to mess with that. And I know from past experience that grains and beans cause digestive problems for me even if they're soaked/sproated. I may have to make some changes, though.

Do you know if water kefirs would be allowed on failsafe or would they be considered high in amines like fermented foods? And you can't use any herbs/spices on failsafe, can you?
Good to hear you are symptom free

Kefir would be allowed after the elimination diet, it would be its own challenge. And from what people say, the kefir shouldn't be fermented longer than 12 hrs. The other thing about kefir/probiotics is that people often do better on a yogurt with only a few strains (like SCD legal strains.) Kombucha is allowed too after the elimination, it has salicylates.

Yup, no herbs or spices except parsley, garlic, chives, leeks, green onions, garlic.

#263 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:

I'm glad you guys are doing so well!

We're sticking to mostly failsafe "safe" foods and we've been doing well. I gave dd raisins today and she immediately got a rash around her mouth. We do eat some higher amine/sal foods like onions, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice--mostly ingredients used for flavorings.

Do you mind sharing the names of the failsafe yahoo groups again? Also, do failsafers feel that this sensitivity is something that can be overcome or is it just a matter of finding out your tolerance and sticking to it?

Thanks.
#264 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I'm glad you guys are doing so well!

We're sticking to mostly failsafe "safe" foods and we've been doing well. I gave dd raisins today and she immediately got a rash around her mouth. We do eat some higher amine/sal foods like onions, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice--mostly ingredients used for flavorings.

Do you mind sharing the names of the failsafe yahoo groups again? Also, do failsafers feel that this sensitivity is something that can be overcome or is it just a matter of finding out your tolerance and sticking to it?

Thanks.
Yahoo groups: Failsafebaby, FailsafeUSA, and FailsafeNT. Sensitivities are different for everyone, many children grow out of their sensitivities, some people through doing challenges figure out exactly which foods bother them, (some find it is only amines or only sals,) others slowly build up a tolerance, some can tolerate 'normal' foods once in a while. It all depends.

#265 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yahoo groups: Failsafebaby, FailsafeUSA, and FailsafeNT. Sensitivities are different for everyone, many children grow out of their sensitivities, some people through doing challenges figure out exactly which foods bother them, (some find it is only amines or only sals,) others slowly build up a tolerance, some can tolerate 'normal' foods once in a while. It all depends.
Thanks!
#266 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
bluets, how much glutamine to do you take daily?
sorry ... dealing with a sick toddler so i haven't had much time to keep up here.

initially, i followed the instructions on the bottle of the Intestinew (one dose per meal?), then when i moved to the Metagenics product, i moved to only 2 doses per day (i couldn't remember the lunch time dose).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#267 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The reasons to do something would be to help allergies, optimize digestive function, head off and/or correct any dental problems, deal with speech problems, prevent sleep apnea, help with sinus pressure and pain, and clear up chronic congestion.

That said, dd (almost 3) is tied in the labial and lingual frenulum and I haven't addressed it yet. I know I have to and don't really know what I am waiting on. You can still have them clipped (there were several cases presented of adults who were clipped and saw major results) but it would require some anaesthesia. It could be topical, but if the kiddo won't sit **** it would have to be general. My dd would require general.

A CST may have helped to stretch the frenulum a bit, and perhaps widen the palate. Based on what I have learned it may not be enough.

Mum2be, the reason I asked is that a classic presentation is that mucus that just doesn't go away but seems to stay in the throat. It's what you are describing-it just drives you nuts because all day long you are just waiting for them to clear their throats. I spent months clearing my throat because listening to it bothered me so much!
thanks for the response, firefaery. dd2 is a "rattler" (phlegm in her upper bronhci/pharynx) when she gets a cold, too. sounds like a big procedure, though. i have no idea how i would ever get dh to go for it. he's very hands off/let well enough alone, thinks it's all in my head and i'm getting worked up about nothing. he and his mother used to sabotage our elimination diet when i was at work, "it was just a little ____, why can't she just have a little?" as if his following the diet was admitting there was something wrong with dd1. he'd never go along with surgery.

my signature is usually illegible
#268 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM

It's actually ridiculously quick and simple. there's just no way to tell my three year old to sit still long enough to let a stranger in her mouth to clip. IT's all about the temperment. A close friend is having her dd done (almonst 2) with no sedation because she's just that kind of kid. She will sit no problem. It's not painful really, they just give a snip with scissors and it's over.
#269 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Oh- and just to clarify, rattling when you have a cold is not a problem. It's rattling every day and never having it end that's an issue. Like a chronic congestion in the throat with no other cause.
#270 of 390 Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know if contact redness from a food (squash made DD's hands and face red) is a problem/sign of allergy or food chemical reaction? The butternut squash I gave her last night did this, but I gave her more this morning (less, though) and it didn't seem to. It was definitely the squash because that's all she had and I smeared some on her arm and it made her arm red, too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page