Thoughts on suppositories for vomiting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 22 month old DD has been vomiting for 4 days. I'm breastfeeding her like crazy, and she's been keeping most of it down for the last 24 hours. But, if we give her anything other than breastmilk, she vomits. I looked at Dr. Sears signs of dehydration, and she's probably moderately dehydrated (which he says is not time to panic, just to be concerned).

We're visiting my family for the holidays, and I'm getting EXTREME pressure from them to take her to a doctor. But, we live in Europe and don't have a doctor in the U.S. And so we'll end up at an emergency room, they'll probably give her an IV and make me stop nursing her--I don't want to do this.

My family thinks they won't put her on an IV but will give her a suppository to stop the vomiting. This did not sound natural to me and therefore not a great idea. Anyone have thoughts on the use of suppositories to stop vomiting? Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 AM

My little one needed those often during her first 2 years. She has GI issues (feeding tube, etc) and she vomited to the point of dehydration and IV's a few times. The ped prescribed the suppositories and I had a supply at home. After I got those, I only had to take her to ER one more time. Those things worked to keep her home and for that I'm grateful.

I'm sorry your baby is vomiting so much. If she's somewhat active still, talking, crying tears, moist lips, and willing to keep nursing, she's probably okay to stay home. Just keep pushing the fluids. You might even use a medicine syringe to give her some water, decaf tea, or broth in between nursing. Make sure to give her a little bit at a time, but do it often. This will help to prevent vomiting.

If you go to the ER they will most likely put in an IV right away unless you are very firm about them not doing it. If you don't consent to the IV they will wonder why you are there. They like to see babies hydrated because they can go downhill so fast when dehydrated. It's amost standard procedure to get an IV of fluids. I really doubt they will tell you to stop nursing. And if they do you can tell them your rights as a parent. They can't make you stop nursing.

If you would rather just have the suppositories and avoid an IV, I would suggest going to a pediatric urgent care center instead. If I had to chose between IV and suppositories on a child who was not severely dehydrated, I would choose the suppositories. Much less traumatic.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 04:36 AM

when I took ds in, they did a suppository to stop vomiting, and IV's never came up, and he was only 6mths old. I think it depends on the hospital and the ped.
#4 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 PM

my guess is they'd want to rehydrate imediately with an IV. the supository is for anti-vomiting medicine, so they could put the first dose in the IV but send you home with supositories for later on.

that's my ER experience from last year and the year before, when SIX fmaily members had to go in. (I got the ambulance)

I can't imagine why nursing or not nursing would be an issue.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 05:16 PM

It all depends on the MD in the ED.. and how dehydrated your child may be. Most ED docs are good at looking at the child.. unlike adults who mask illness, kids who are sick = look sick. If she has moist eyes, tears, and is nursing.. then rehydration via IV can be waived. As for meds via supp. They will prob give Zofran or Phenergan. This is to ease the vomiting and to allow for gastric rest and rehydration. BF is always good and if she is keeping it down, then all the better. Sounds like a virus, if no vomiting for the last 24 hrs, then I would keep on nursing and watch her for signs of a worsening condition. Lethargic, not playing, no interest in BFing, no wet diapers. If you decide to not have rehydration via IVs and are against suppositories for the vomiting.. then there is no need to waste time and money at the ED. Wait and see, you should be at the end of the virus.. You are from Europe? Could there be an issue with drinking water or cooking methods that is upsetting her tummy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page