Constant runny nose in toddler, ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that I would see if anyone here may have any ideas for which direction I should go in next for my 18 month old dd.

The big problem is a constant runny nose for well over a year. It is thick colored, runny nose along with occasional rattling in her chest. This goes on for several weeks and we may have a day to a week break and then it begins all over again. She also has mild excema.

She started off colicky and has always been a terrible sleeper. I have tried going off of dairy, and to my surprise, it didn't help. I thought for sure that it would, but I guess that I think dairy is the biggest offender in so many issues. My doctor agreed to do a RAST test and he tested for things like milk, soy, dog, cat, mold, seasonal allergies like grasses, etc and nothing showed up. He did say that her IgE was slightly elevated. He wasn't concerned, but to me, that means that she must be reacting to something. We actually were desperate enough to try claritin and singulair for 2 weeks to see if it was allergies and they did NOTHING. The doc wanted to check her for reflux as well thinking that she may be refluxing into her nose and ears. We declined the test after reading about it. We did try some reflux medicine as much as I hated to do it, I just wanted to see if it helped, but it turned out to be such a pain to mix it up and try to give it to her that after 2 weeks I gave up because I really didn't want that stuff in her anyway. But, this leaves us with no answers. The doc says that allergies runny noses should be clear and runny not thick and colored, but something has to be going on!

She's never had antibiotics for any of this and never been vaxed, but I had to have IV antibiotics at delivery which I believe set us up for nasty thrush that hung around for 6 months (I was the one with the symptoms). We also have passed it back and forth at times since, but it hasn't been as huge a problem since. So, I do wonder if that is part of the problem.

I have considered IgG testing through a naturopath. It is going to take a lot of $ which we do not have at this time. Being a SAHM means no extra money for stuff insurance doesn't cover (makes me mad that they will cover stuff that doesn't really help!!). So, I am trying to really weight my options because I am tired of trying things, spending money that doesn't help or bring us any closer to the answer. DH is really leery of an elimination diet because of several situations we have going on right now. He is fine with avoiding foods that we KNOW are offenders, I think he is just tired of "shots in the dark", too.

We were encouraged that she recently had 3 weeks with no symptoms, but she caught the cold going around and it isn't clearing up (we never know if it is a cold or what, usually). We were hoping during that "clear" time that maybe it meant that she was growing out of this stuff. I am still hopeful, but trying to figure out what, and how much I should be doing.

My oldest has constant runny noses and ear infections, but that was before I knew better and he had monthly antibiotics. He is allergic to mold and has athsma.

Any thoughts?
TIA
#2 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

could it be enlarged adenoids?

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#4 of 4 Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Something to look into, I suppose, but wouldn't the doc see those in her throat when he examined her?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page