I've never had to deal with this problem before, I'm pretty ignorant about mold and I need help! We live in teacher housing, and last week discovered that our house is full of mold....not just mold like you get in a bathroom or on windows that you can spray and wipe off...there is mold in
the drywall....in almost every room.
Here's the background:
We moved in to this house in the summer of 2005. A few months after moving in, I started having awful allergies (never had them before), this coincided with getting our dog, Bailey, so I thought it could be him (though I'd never been allergic to dogs before, either). Anyway, time goes on, my alleriges frustrate me, they come and go, etc. I assume it's the dog or the area, or something. Then, a few months ago, we notice that there is black mold growing on all of our windows....it was bad, and grew in a short time because I look at the windows every day and it was pretty sudden, kwim? We got rid of it, and I've been checking the windows since then....a few days ago they were all covered with mold, so we cleaned them again.
Then, I noticed by our back door, the door frame and bottom part of the door were covered with mold. DH went to clean it, and he took off a part of the wood trim at the bottom (alontg the floor), and the whole thing- the trim piece- was moldy! The mold was also inside and on/in the drywall!
The place where this happened had been water damaged before we moved in, so we are assuming that is why there is mold....well, there are lots of spots in the house that are water damaged, so we are assuming there is mold in that drywall as well. We also found a water stain in ds1's room that is starting to grow mold....so there must also be a ton in the drywall as well. Gross!
IMO, I think the mold is definitley the cause or contribuiting factor to my allergies, and I can't see how it is healthy to live with. Of course, we called the district housing, and they really don't care
: They will certainly not do any proper mold remediation. They did tell us that we can move into the brand new townhomes that are being built- they will be ready next month. In the meantime, we have to live with the mold. They *might* come out and paint over the exposed mold, but that's about the extent of it. Would that help?
We are planning on moving in June (we are leaving the area)- so if painting over the mold will fix it enough to get us through until then, we could stay here....otherwise, we will have to move into the new townhouse, and then move again in a few months.
I'm just at a loss. I am soooo frustrated with the housing department and their lack of empathy and concern (for anything, really- we also need our hot water heater repaired and we've been waiting a month), and I don't have faith that they will even come out and deal with the mold problem.