Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
:

Also, I have asthmatic reactions and the one thing guaranteed to make it worse? COLD AIR. I wouldn't rely on it as a cure.
That is true, with asthma it won't work. If it is croup, he will have a swollen throat constricting the airway. But they can sound similar. I sound like I have croup right now.

Quote:
For the love of all that is holy, if your child really cannot breathe, GO TO THE ER. I'd MUCH rather have albuterol side effects than feel like I am slowly suffocating. And yeah, I've been on the stuff and I don't particularly like it. Still, there are times when it is USEFUL and FAR BETTER than the alternative!
I agree, I would keep a very very close eye on him. If he wakes again just take him in. If he can't even sleep he needs to be seen.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#32 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 04:25 AM

My concern is with the fever. How long has he had a fever? My dd just had what I thought was a cold (running nose, coughing, etc...). Then got a fever. After 5 days, I took her to the ped. to find out she had horrible ear infections. She said her ears don't hurt
I don't even think your ped would bring up the vax issues if your bringing in a sick kid.
#33 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, I have asthmatic reactions and the one thing guaranteed to make it worse? COLD AIR. I wouldn't rely on it as a cure.

For the love of all that is holy, if your child really cannot breathe, GO TO THE ER. I'd MUCH rather have albuterol side effects than feel like I am slowly suffocating. And yeah, I've been on the stuff and I don't particularly like it. Still, there are times when it is USEFUL and FAR BETTER than the alternative!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#34 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

The fever just started last night. He was perfectly fine yesterday, except that he was a bit clingy and wouldn't eat. Then around 9 he began to cough, and by 11 had a fever of 100.9 plus some major coughing spells. He slept ok last night, and we're about to go get in the shower. His breathing sounds a bit wheezy, but his fever is down.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#35 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren23 View Post
..... doc would give him a codiene cought syrup and a steroid but neither of them really helped much, the best thing for it was to alternate cold fresh air with warm steamy air. it breaks up the stridor that causes the barkiness of the cough.
I agree and the SA will help get rid of it fastest and then the child does not have to get rid of the poisons from the medicine on top of it. I am one for letting the child get over it naturally. Except if the mommy instincts tell me otherwise. (Actually now they are grandma instincts.)

I raised three kids and none ever had abx. Not once. And they are super healthy and super athletes now.

Same with my gran-children, none of them ever had abx.

But back to the op -

I hope your child can ride it out without interference. Cod liver oil is good, if the child can handle it, too.

btw, fevers have a tendency to go up and down. That's how the body handles it the best. Fever is a good thing. It is the body's defence mechanism and should not be interfered with. I never even measured the fever in my kids or grandchildren.

So, what I am saying is that just because the fever is down now, does not mean it's not going to come back again. Kids generally get the fever back again in the afternoon and in the evening. That is normal. That shows the body is fighting the infection off. It's amazing how well the body works and how efficient.

I watch the grandchildren when they are sick and of course I had experience from my own kids, so I've seen how the body works. It is a miracle.
#36 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

His breathing got alot better with the shower. (where's the yay smiley?)

If he gets to sick I'll take him to the doctor/urgent care/ER (whatever's open.) I was taken to the ped every 6 weeks in the winter because I was always getting sick. They would give me antibiotics, and I'd be sick 6 weeks later anyways. Now that I'm older, if I an REALLY sick and need some medicine most antibiotics don't help at all, probably because I had sooo much of it as a kid.

My mom is on me right now to take DS to the doctor, but really.. he's been sick for less than 24 hours! I'd rather try natural remedies and rely on mommy instincts.

On the asthma note, I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, but now that I'm an adult I know that it was more panic attacks than asthma attacks. On a VERY rare occassion I'll have an asthma attack, but I know exactly what they feel like, and that's when I'll take the albuterol. DS isn't acting like he's having an asthma issue.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#37 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

I got sodium ascorbate (yay co op!) but how much should I give him and how do I get him to take it? I don't think he'd be willing to eat some powder off a spoon?

#38 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Kerry,

You want to get to bowel tolerance. Knowing your DS's size, I would start w/maybe 1/2 teaspoon in some OJ if he can tolerate it, lemonade is good too (but so much sugar). And give him more every 45 min-1hr as often as you can.

I know w/WC you have to get really good amts of SA into him.

Please go over to the vax forum and search for the thread about antibiotics making WC worse. Something about the antibiotics exploding the WC virus and then causing too much stress on the body as the body now tries to get rid of huge amts of toxins.

Your mom coughing for months and her co-worker having WC and the puking really makes me think WC.

hth
Amy
#39 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
Please go over to the vax forum and search for the thread about antibiotics making WC worse. Something about the antibiotics exploding the WC virus and then causing too much stress on the body as the body now tries to get rid of huge amts of toxins.

Dosage of SA in whooping cough according to MT -

375 mg/per kg body wt of child or to bowel tolerance.

This really, really works from everything I've read.

abx makes wc much worse and last much longer.

wc is the 100 day disease but it gets less severe after a few weeks. Hang in there.

Mix the powder with anything cool. Nothing hot. I mix it with O.J., apple juice, bm or just water and a bit of honey. You can use anything he likes.

Here are some of the stories I told my grandson when he used to get sick:

There is this bacteria that is trying to make a home in his body and AS will get him strong enough to put that bacteria back into it's place.

B. bacteria is a bacteria that is also found in some healthy throats so it's not like it will kill you. It really just needs to be put back into it's place.
#40 of 44 Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 PM

update?
#41 of 44 Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

DS is still coughing, and he's alot worse at night than he is during the day. I've been trying to find ways to trick him into taking the SA, because he doesn't really like it. If I put it in juice he won't drink the juice. I've been sprinkling it on anything I offer him to eat like salt. He has a fever around 100.8 in his armpit at night, and a bit lower than that during the day. We've just been hanging out and watching movies and letting him rest today.

Although his breathing sounds labored he's doing things like dancing to the Shrek song, so he's obviously getting enough air. I'm going to continue to watch him and push the SA.

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice, and if there are any ways you know of to get your DC to take SA please let me know!

#42 of 44 Old 01-13-2007, 09:26 PM

If it is croup, odds are he's going to get it again. My DS (who is 6.5) has gotten croup at least once every winter.

So bookmark this page. http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t084200.asp

I like it because it tells you when to call the doctor, when to go to the ER, when not to, etc.

I hope he's feeling better soon!!
#43 of 44 Old 01-13-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

What exactly is the difference between whooping cough and croup?

#44 of 44 Old 01-13-2007, 10:48 PM

mix it on a spoon with some OJ and just pop it in. and then give him a big sip of plain OJ. he really only needs a little pinch at a time. it just tastes like salt to me- but I don't like drinking a whole glass of salty juice either so I don't blame him. I find OJ, orangina, and cranberry juice hide the flavor the best.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page