DS can't breathe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 4, and is partially vaxed. He was fully vaxed except for Chicken Pox until he was 2, but I havn't vaxed him at all since then.

He has a VERY croupy sounding cough, and when he coughs once he coughs for 5-10 minutes, and can't breathe between coughs at all. He sounds like he's hyperventilating or something. He also has a fever, and hasn't beem hungry at all today, although he wasn't coughing/feverish until tonight. I've been giving him lots of vitamin C (although not sodium ascorbate because I don't have any of that.) He also has Euculyptis Oil on his chest, which helped a bit. His humidifier is on full blast.

I'm concerned about taking him to a ped. because of his recent no vax status, but he really *can't* breathe. Should I take him to the ER because he can't breathe? Call the ped. in the morning? Just wait? Is there any other natural things I can be doing for him? I feel like a horrible mommy. He starts coughing and can't stop and tried to eek out "mommy" in between and then ends up crying. He's gone to sleep 3 times now, only to be woken up by coughing fits.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#2 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 AM

When he coughs and can't catch his breath, turn on the shower and let him breath in the hot steam

or

take him outside into the cool air.

I would start giving him sodium ascorbate or any vita c you have at home.

But look for sa. that is the best.
#3 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 AM

Take him outside to breath in cool air. If it gets worse, go to the ER they'll probably give im an albuterol breathing treatement.

Does he have allergies?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 AM

You have to hold him up and support his chest when he starts coughing. You have to stay calm and tell him that he is alright. He may spit up a little afterwards because the fluid may build up in his chest.

Do you think he has whooping cough?? Let me see how old he is?

4 ok. He is out of the danger zone for wc. It is miserable but he will do ok. I am sure.

Look for the thread in the vax forum about wc. Let me bring it up and you should read it so you know how to handle it.

You are not a bad mom. Just hang in there. He'll be alright.
#5 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:37 AM

my girlfriend's children get recurrent croup. she recommends putting your child in layered jammies and multiple blankets and then either turning the heat waaay down (just above off to keep the pipes from freezing) or you could close the door and open the bedroom windows if your climate is warmer. This should help your son sleep. hth. hugs

also, taking your ds outside is the quickest way to get his breathing back to normal. the shower takes a long time to really heat up the room and give enough steam.
#6 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

The only thing he's allergic to is blueberries, and he hasn't had any in years.

I've been giving him vitamin C ever since his daycare sent something home saying one of the kids had Strep. I know I get strep easily, so I wanted to boost his immune system a bit.

Ugh, do you think maybe one of the kids in his class just got a pertussis vaccine and that's why DS is sick? Evil vaccines... :

I have an albuteral inhaler here, for if I have an asthma attack. Would it help if I gave him some if steam and cold air aren't working?

He's sleeping now, we'll see how long his sleep lasts. Thanks so much for the quick replies.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#7 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:41 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=577493

I agree, if it's cool outside, take him outside whenever he starts to cough.

Most importantly, stay calm. It is best if he gets the spit up after coughing, so expect it. Hold him forward so it doesn't go back down his throat and tell him that he may bring some fluid up so he is not afraid.
#8 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM

Albuterol may cause side effects.

tremor
nervousness
shakiness
dizziness
excitement
headache
difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
nosebleed
increased appetite
upset stomach
vomiting
stomach pain
muscle cramps
cough
dry mouth (inhalation only)
throat irritation (inhalation only)

I would absolutely NOT use it for my child.
#9 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I HATE Albuterol for myself, as it causes many of those things, plus panic attacks. I only have it here in case of an emergency. If it was give him some or go to the ER and have them freak out on my bad parenting.. I'd be closer to giving him some. :

#10 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammakerry View Post
I've been giving him vitamin C ever since his daycare sent something home saying one of the kids had Strep. I know I get strep easily, so I wanted to boost his immune system a bit.
Good.

Quote:
Ugh, do you think maybe one of the kids in his class just got a pertussis vaccine and that's why DS is sick? Evil vaccines... :
Not a live vax. But if the kid got pertussis and passed it on....???? maybe??
Quote:

I have an albuteral inhaler here, for if I have an asthma attack. Would it help if I gave him some if steam and cold air aren't working?
No. I am glad you are asking about cold air because evidently you are in a cooler area. Cold air will work.

Quote:
He's sleeping now, we'll see how long his sleep lasts.
He may do that all night. Get prepared. You have to stay calm. He will get enough air, I am sure. He is old enough where his wind pipe can handle it.

Do you think he's got wc? Did he vomit after coughing?

IMO - I would not go to the ER. They can go crazy there.

They might give him abx which will only make it last longer. If you do go, I would say he is all up to date on vax. And take whatever prescription they give you, you can always decide whether to get it filled or not.
#11 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM

How long has he had the cough for? Does he usually get a cough that lingers during the winter? If you have asthma, is it possible that he does as well?

Have you tried steam? Having him sleep propped-up? Good old fashioned tea with lemon & honey or loquat syrup is very soothing. I sometime add a tiny bit of whiskey (with LOTS of honey) to help them sleep. :

I would have no problems giving my children albuterol if they couldn't breathe.
#12 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post

Do you think he has whooping cough?? Let me see how old he is?

4 ok. He is out of the danger zone for wc. It is miserable but he will do ok. I am sure.
Gitti, I'm just curious as to why you say he is out of danger of having whooping cough? pertussis is a bacteria and anyone can become ill from it, no matter what age. It isn't as serious if you are over 1 years old, but you can still become ill from it... it sounds like whooping cough to me--and there is a resurgence of whooping cough in the US...

mamakerry--if you feel like your son needs something don't be afraid of what others think--you are a good mama because of your concern for your son and making the best choices for him you are able to make... Cool air does wonders for a cough, but if you think it is something serious, don't worry about the judgement of the ER folks...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#13 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 AM

IMO - the tiny bit of whiskey (maybe 1/2 teaspoon) is the better suggestion.
#14 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM

I really disagree with the cold air. Cold air *constricts* the airways and that is the last thing he needs right now. Also, it can be damaging to already irritated cilia. Warm steam is your best bet.
#15 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if he has WC, because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I've been staying calm while he's awake, it's not that he's asleep that I'm letting myself freak out a bit.

He does vomit after coughing, but he sort of does that normally? Sometimes he'll start coughing, then throw up. Then he stops. It's often enough that he'll just tell me "Mommy, I just threw up in my mouth, should I swallow it?" It usually happens if he has to much cows milk, or if he chugs down a cup of water to fast, or if he starts running around right after eating. This cough is alot different from that though. So, I guess moral of that story is that I don't know if the throwing up after coughing is due to this sickness he has, or just because he does that sometimes.

#16 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 AM

since you are busy taking care of him, try to get someone else out to go find a sodium ascorbate version of vit c. the others won't cut it. it really is a big difference unfortunately. however, it may be difficult to find pure SA, it may be mixed with other forms, just take what you can get and meanwhile order some online.

if it sounds like a bark instead of a whoop, it's probably croup (I rhymed lol). cold air does help croup.

here is a sound of a bad WC (I want to give this poor baby tons of SA!!)

http://www.whoopingcough.net/sound%2...20whooping.htm

is that what it sounds like?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#17 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son(vaxed btw) had this last feb and he had a few breathing treaments in the er(about 5 in a day and a half) thank GOD he had them because he could not breathe and was very very sick. He had a bad chest infection. Cleared up in a few days after lots of meds. He never expierenced it again, and he had no side effects either.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#18 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Right now he's sleeping next to me on the couch, very propped up, and this is the best he's slept tonight. He's not in the room with the humidifier anymore, but if he's sleeping better I'd rather keep him here.

I live in NYS, so it is cold outside, although when I brought him in earlier it seemed that the wind/cold was making him cough more?

#19 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
Gitti, I'm just curious as to why you say he is out of danger of having whooping cough? pertussis is a bacteria and anyone can become ill from it, no matter what age. It isn't as serious if you are over 1 years old, but you can still become ill from it... it sounds like whooping cough to me--and there is a resurgence of whooping cough in the US...
I think she was saying that, although it's whooping cough and it'll be miserable it wn't be dangerous.

nak
#20 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Gitti, I'm just curious as to why you say he is out of danger of having whooping cough? pertussis is a bacteria and anyone can become ill from it, no matter what age.
Maybe I didn't make it clear. Of course he can have wc. That's what I been asking here, whether she thinks he has it?? What I meant is that he is beyond the age where it is dangerous which is really under the age of 6 months.

Quote:
it sounds like whooping cough to me--
Same here!

Quote:
Cool air does wonders for a cough, but if you think it is something serious, don't worry about the judgement of the ER folks...
I agree, if you are really concerned, do go to the ER. You can still make all the decisions for your child. It is always good to get some one's advice especially when you are inexperienced or frightened. And there is nothing wrong with either one of those. Most importantly is that your dc is taken care of.
#21 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
since you are busy taking care of him, try to get someone else out to go find a sodium ascorbate version of vit c. the others won't cut it. it really is a big difference unfortunately. however, it may be difficult to find pure SA, it may be mixed with other forms, just take what you can get and meanwhile order some online.

if it sounds like a bark instead of a whoop, it's probably croup (I rhymed lol). cold air does help croup.

here is a sound of a bad WC (I want to give this poor baby tons of SA!!)

http://www.whoopingcough.net/sound%2...20whooping.htm

is that what it sounds like?
His cough sounds similar, in that he's gasping like that between coughs, but the actual coughs are definately dry and barky. (Does this help any?)

#22 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:08 AM

From reading the rest of your post, it does sound like wc to me and a pp said sodium ascorbate is much better than vita c and I agree 100%.

Seems like you've calmed down a bit, too. You can take some sa also.

It won't harm you either.

Don't give him milk. And if he is not hungry tomorrow, don't make him eat. Just make sure he drinks a bit every so often.
#23 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammakerry View Post
His cough sounds similar, in that he's gasping like that between coughs, but the actual coughs are definately dry and barky. (Does this help any?)
any pediatrician worth his weight in salt can diagnose croup immediately by hearing the child cough over the phone- it sounds like a barking seal. although, if it was croup, the cold air should have made it better not worse.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#24 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 AM

IMO, it is croup. Sleep in his room and take him to the ER if it gets worse.

If his fever gets high, take him to the ER.

Don't let him use your inhaler, the way they do breathing treatements is different than how the inhaler works.

I have an albuterol inhaler and have still been subjected to breathing treatements when it got too bad (allergy induced asthma)

#25 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverlove View Post
I really disagree with the cold air. Cold air *constricts* the airways and that is the last thing he needs right now. Also, it can be damaging to already irritated cilia. Warm steam is your best bet.
Cool air can shrink the swollen tissue lining the airway.

It is often recommended for croup.

#26 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

It may have been the wind outside that made him worse, I was having trouble catching my breath as I ran inside with him in my arms.

I'm going to sleep with him tonight, and see how he is in the morning.

Thank you all so much for your quick responses. Yet one more reason why I adore MDC.

Also, my mom has had a bad cough for months now. She's been on antibiotics, and the doctors just keep telling her to take more antibiotics along with cough syrup with codine and that she has bronchitis. She's been throwing up after coughing fits too. She just told me a guy at her work had whooping cough. : She thinks I'm crazy for not taking him to the ER, or at least to the ped. tommorrow morning, and won't even consider thinking that she HAS whooping cough and gave it to DS.

#27 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 AM

Whether it's croup or whooping cough, you can still give him the sodium ascorbate.

I'll post a link to where I buy mine just in case -

http://www.bronsonvitamins.com/app/s...tm?&item_id=50

You may be able to get it at your health food store, too. And you could suggest it to you mom as well.

Have a good night.
#28 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Cool air can shrink the swollen tissue lining the airway.

It is often recommended for croup.
:

croupy coughs sound like a barking seal, dry and harsh. kids can struggle for breaths with croup as well as w c, my son would stop breathing during severe attacks, it was awful! his little eyes would bug out and his face would turn purple and he would try to talk to me but couldnt squeak out a thing. doc would give him a codiene cought syrup and a steroid but neither of them really helped much, the best thing for it was to alternate cold fresh air with warm steamy air. it breaks up the stridor that causes the barkiness of the cough.

mama... hope your little one feels better soon!
#29 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 AM

it's always scary when they're sick and you're not sure what it is. maybe next time just stand near an open window for the cold air. but per your mom's story- sounds like wc. I'd order the SA, it's good to have around anyways. reminds me, I'm running low!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#30 of 44 Old 01-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
mamakerry--if you feel like your son needs something don't be afraid of what others think--you are a good mama because of your concern for your son and making the best choices for him you are able to make... Cool air does wonders for a cough, but if you think it is something serious, don't worry about the judgement of the ER folks...
:

Also, I have asthmatic reactions and the one thing guaranteed to make it worse? COLD AIR. I wouldn't rely on it as a cure.

For the love of all that is holy, if your child really cannot breathe, GO TO THE ER. I'd MUCH rather have albuterol side effects than feel like I am slowly suffocating. And yeah, I've been on the stuff and I don't particularly like it. Still, there are times when it is USEFUL and FAR BETTER than the alternative!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page