Help for chronically sick family - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mak

HELP! We have been chronically sick since September. We are family of four, Dh, myself, DD (3yo) and DS (7mo). Our symptoms include: Runny nose, cough, congestion, body aches and sore throat. We eat a fairly healthy diet. DD was diagnosed with an ear infection and a urinary tract infection back in December and she was put on a round of antibiotics. I have started the three of us on probiotics in an attempt to keep us healthy this has seemed to work for DH and I, but the kids are still sick. It's horrible and I feel so badly for them. Will the probiotics pass through to DS through breast milk? I put the probiotics in a smoothie, but DD doesn't always drink all of it, should I give it to her in a small glass of juice? I don't want to call the ped b/c I know there will just be more antibiotics. Please help our family!!!

-Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 PM

IMO abx are not indicated for what you described. More than likely they have some virus otherwise you and your dh wouldn't have gotten over it.

Maybe you are using too much over-the-counter medicine?

I would really concentrate on healthy eating (which you actually say you do), no cows milk, no soy, no sodas, no fast foods, and when the kids have the sniffles, colds, etc. I would treat it with SA, CLO etc.

Also, ear infections should never be treated with abx.
#3 of 5 Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Allergies?

My youngest has been sick more than well in his short 2yo life and as it turns out he has massive food allergies. So do my other 2 kids and myself. We have the symptoms you describe. I took the foods out that were the allergy foods and he was better within 24 hours. He has been well for 2 weeks and that is the longets he has been healthy in the last 6 months. Also, my dd had her first ear infection and it was caused by allergies and she was on antibiotics. Prescribed by a hollistic physician. Who never gives anyone antibiotics. Sometimes they are ok. Just not en mass the way they are often doled out.
#4 of 5 Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 AM

I could have written your post. We've been sick since November - DDs (3 yrs, and 13 mos), Dh and myself. Earaches, HIGH fevers, congestion, etc. etc.

The doctors don't bat an eye and tell us it's 'normal' for families with kids these ages to get this sick. I sorta agree as DD just started preschool - the most exposure to lots of kids on a regular basis. My doc said it's a sign of building healthy immunity.

Given that, we dealt with numerous rounds of abx which resulted in a horrible weeping diaper thrush for DD2. Enough was enough, so I called me a naturopath and I'm working on strengthening family immunity to at least mitigate the effects of the viruses/infections, if not stop them altogether.

We've started: a dietary overhaul (MORE veggies, esp. green, more water, less refined, although we're pretty good to begin with..), multivite (Salus KinderVital), fish oil (Nutrasea) and Udo's Infant Blend probiotic every night. We all take it. We're airing out the house more, using a hepa filter, becoming more obsessed about hand and towel washing.

We can't live in a bubble and I accept some childhood illness will happen. Everywhere I go, my friends' kids or family members are sick and touching my kids...it's life. DH and I are sick of it but feel a little better that we're doing SOMETHING to support our immunity.

ETA Udo's Infant's probiotics taste 'sweet' in the powder form so I give the kids a bit on a teaspoon and they love it...initially in DD2's sippy but she never drank it all. Problem solved, though - try it...or in a teaspoon of water/BM/juice.

Good luck...you're not alone. :
#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post

ETA Udo's Infant's probiotics taste 'sweet' in the powder form so I give the kids a bit on a teaspoon and they love it...initially in DD2's sippy but she never drank it all. Problem solved, though - try it...or in a teaspoon of water/BM/juice.

Good luck...you're not alone. :
what age can i begin to give priobotics? ds is 7 months.

dd has started school recently and i know this is a nornmal part of life with kids.

we are pretty healthy: no fast food, no soda (only water and occassionally juice), we eat mostly organic (95%) and we eat a ton of veggies.

thanks mamas

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page