Reacurring Strep Throat - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Reacurring Strep Throat
wemoon's Avatar wemoon 01:42 AM 01-20-2007
This is possibley the third time my DD has had strep throat in the past 2 months, fourth time in the past 6-ish months. She is allergic to penicillin so she has had to have numerous other antibiotics which do not seem to be working. She just finished up the last round of antibiotics last weekend and now tonight was complaining of a sore throat again and was real droopy. I'll know by the morning if it is strep by the way she sounds (the warbly voice). I have this bad feeling about it.

What the heck can be done? I'm sick of trying all these antibiotics. It isn't healthy for her and isn't doing the job it should. Anyone know anything about this at all? Thanks in advance.

wendy1221's Avatar wendy1221 02:05 AM 01-20-2007
I had recurrent strep throat. Every winter, I would get strep 3-6 times per winter until a few years ago. I got rid of my cat and gave up ALL dairy at the same time. I knew I was allergic to both. I'm not sure which did it (it could be the cat was a carrier, but I really think it was the dairy.) Do you suspect any food allergies/sensitivities? SOMETHING is bothering her and letting those bugs overgrow. Do you have her on probiotics? Does she eat a healthy diet low in sugar? Vitamin C? I'm no longer allergic to dairy, btw. A recent allergy test came back negative and I started eating yogurt and cheese again w/ no problems. No strep so far, either.
Midwesternmomma's Avatar Midwesternmomma 02:13 AM 01-20-2007
If you figure it out, let me know, my son is in the same boat!
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 02:26 AM 01-20-2007
Has your family been tested to see if anybody is a carrier?

I had strep so many times as a child I am now allergic to penicillin.

Turns out my grandmother was the carrier.

Do you have Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins by Thomas Levy MD, JD?

In the book its says streptococcal infections can be cured and prevented with C.
KatelynsMomma's Avatar KatelynsMomma 02:03 PM 01-21-2007
In addition to the Vitamin C....I also have heard that Collodial Silver is a great way to treat strep throat if you are looking for an alternative to abx.
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 02:40 PM 01-21-2007
From my personal experience and from reading here and elsewhere:

Kids who are treated with abx will have continuous strep throat problems.

Kids who are treated with natural healing aids will build immunity.
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 02:43 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
SOMETHING is bothering her and letting those bugs overgrow.
Yep!

In most kids it's interference from vaccines.
They kill of one to make room for others.

Mother Nature does not like what we are doing to her.
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 03:26 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
From my personal experience and from reading here and elsewhere:

Kids who are treated with abx will have continuous strep throat problems.

Kids who are treated with natural healing aids will build immunity.
I so totally agree because of my experience and a friends.
mammom's Avatar mammom 03:38 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Do you have Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases and Toxins by Thomas Levy MD, JD?

In the book its says streptococcal infections can be cured and prevented with C.

My dad had recurring strep back in the 70s and started megadosing on vitamin C after he had had many doses of antibiotics. He has not had strep since!!

I am trying to find Levy's book - have had it on order at amazon for months now - and it doesn't seem to be available. Last note from them (amazon) said it would be available in February, but I am doubtful.

Anyone have luck finding it elsewhere? (Don't mean to hijack the thread!)
momto l&a's Avatar momto l&a 03:50 PM 01-21-2007
Mammom,

I bought mine over 4 years ago I think ( from amazon), so I am afraid I cant be of much help to you.

Oh I just checked Levy's web site and you can order it there. It doesn't have the same cover mine has. http://www.tomlevymd.com/
mammom's Avatar mammom 05:35 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Mammom,

I bought mine over 4 years ago I think ( from amazon), so I am afraid I cant be of much help to you.

Oh I just checked Levy's web site and you can order it there. It doesn't have the same cover mine has. http://www.tomlevymd.com/
Thank you! I just ordered it and will head over to amazon to cancel that order before it ships! Thanks again...
wemoon's Avatar wemoon 09:02 PM 01-22-2007
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I appreciate it! She did test positive for strep again. I did get antibiotics... I had not come back to read this thread yet. I will take some of this advice, perhaps using the vitamin C and collidial silver, and I'll do some research on my own.
Gitti's Avatar Gitti 09:36 PM 01-22-2007
I would not use colloidal silver AND abx. That is overdosing.

Colloidal silver is a substitute for abx not to be taken in addition.

If you give her abx OR colloidal silver she should have probiotics and SA.
wemoon's Avatar wemoon 10:07 AM 01-23-2007
Thanks for the info I would not give anything without researching it first and any side effects.
Up