Need a pain killer that is not habit forming and safe for BFing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-22-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

I'm in a lot of pain as my tumor is shrinking. Tons of excrutiating pain which entails me screaming all day long.

I have decided to go on prescription pain killers. I do not want to become addicted and I need one that is safe for BFing.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Amy
#2 of 7 Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 PM

oh amy...i hope you can find something that eases your pain! i'll talk to my dad...

kris

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#3 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 AM

I think pretty much anything other than an NSAID is going to cause physical dependancy. When I took a pain managment seminar, they made the point that there are many drugs that become 'dependent' on, but we don't call them addictive. Are people 'addicted' to insulin? How about prozac? Let's say worse case scenario, you become physically dependent on them (which happens after a few days off consistant use, btw), you CAN be weaned off of them. Personally, I say go with what works.
#4 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 AM

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t028900.asp

Morphine looks to be the safest but I think anything can becoming addicting with long term use. Think coffee...

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#5 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas

I ended up with Darvocet and I combine it w/Advil. I'm feeling a good 95% better, except when I am feeling so good that I forget to take it on time I spoke w/my Dr (who totally rocks btw) and he said in terms of addictiveness, Darvocet is low on the scale of addictions.

And the tumor is doing very well. The Protocel I started taking has been really doing a # on it. So, I'm psyched and looking forward to being tumor and pain free
#6 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM

don't forget about alternative treatments for pain!!
I highly recommend accupuncture, have used it in the past for other things, but heard it works well for many pain symptoms.. Totally safe for bf'ing, and not addictive!! (well, unless you get hooked on laying still for a few minutes in a totally calming, healing environment )
#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2007, 07:21 PM

look into homeopathic remedies. http://www.abchomeopathy.com/

you try to match your particular symptom picture to the remedy. i don't know much about cancer pain, so i can't suggest one.

also, you can look on thomas hale's site. http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

the page on analgesics (and forum for med practitioners' questions) gives info on a lot of different types of pain medications. http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...tml?1170104085

it doesn't list darvocet (which is a combo of propoxyphene and acetaminophen (tylenol) according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextropropoxyphene)

i'll try to find my copy of hale's book "medications and mother's milk" later and edit. you can also call a LLLleader, most of them have the book.

hth

my signature is usually illegible

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page