What else should I be doing for them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds(5 mo) and dd(2) have high fever, congestion, and coughing... I'm giving them Vitamin C but is there anything else I can do for the cough? DD can hardly breathe well she's so congested. I had them in the steamy bathroom, running a vaporizer, lots of liquids, etc. but it's not really helping.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#2 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM

or just doesn't feel right.
I do the same for myself and both my dd use this method also:

I make a mixture of sugar free diluted juice (or water) with SA, liquid echinacea, and Sambucol. Or Echinacea/Goldenseal Complex capsules. That is our first line of defense. We take a pretty big dose right away and then continue to sip the next dose all day long. It also has to be taken at night. At least 3 times during the night.

If all you have at home is SA, that is alright also. SA is the most important healing aid you can have on hand. And for those who have nothing at home, use any Vita C you have. But it has to be a pretty big dose. Like what would be recommended in three days. Somewhere around that.

Here are links to everything and also where I order my SA since it is not readily found in hfs ~

Echinacea/Goldenseal (link)

Baby echinacea (link)
Warning: may not be safe for people with ragweed allergies or asthma.

Sambucol (link)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin C is very important for healting just about anything.

I believe it is the most important healing aid that I have for any infection. Even for a cut or big bruise, eye or ear infection. I would even give it for any trauma incidence like a broken bone.

imo the best form is:

sodium ascorbate (SA) = ascorbic acid + sodium bicarbonate (baking powder)

This is not a complete vitamin and should only be used when there is a need. It is not supposed to be used as a nutritional supplement since it is incomplete.

You can just use ascorbic acid and add the baking powder yourself (aluminum free of course, like Rumford).

I had this linked to Bronsons' Vitamins, but they just raised the price and I think they are too expensive now. Anyway...

Dose: 250 mg/per kg of body weight * or to diarrhea stage. After one loose stool cut the dose back to avoid diarrhea.
The dose is for a 24 hour period. Taken in sips all day long.
* for whooping cough the dose should be increased to 375 mg/per kg.
It varies from person to person. Every person has to find his own dose.
The sicker the person/child is, the more SA is indicated.
Vita C will not work nearly as well.
If you only have regular Vita C at home I would use it for now and get the sodium ascorbate as soon as possible.

Dose and other SA information (link)

------------------------------------------------------------------

CLO - Cod Liver Oil (link)
This does not come flavored. I buy it for the grownups in the family including my oldest grandson. And we will give it to the younger grandchildren from now on.

Carlson Lemon Flavored Cod Liver Oil (link)
My two younger grandson (3,5) have take this one without a problem but it's time to switch them to the better brand. (above)

The dose should be on the bottle. Since it is a whole food vitamin there is little chance of overdosing. So, 3/4 to 1 teaspoon a day (as indicated on most bottles) is a good daily dose for most children.
We increase the dose to 2 teaspoons when sick.

Avoid all sugar (link)

Avoid all dairy (link)

Keep hydrated with little sips of the water/juice. When necessary we get up at night every couple of hours to encourage drinking or set a bottle/sippy cup by the bed for the older child.

I don't ever medicate a fever ever. It is the best defense and assistance the body has. FEVER! (link)

I only give food when the sick person ask for it.
If the child is vomiting I only give dry toast (if they ask for food).

A few sips of liquid (water, breast milk, diluted juice, etc.) an hour will keep a child hydrated.

For a lactating child, the mom should eat lots of raw garlic.
A sick person should eat at least 2 cloves of garlic a day if the stomach permits. The more the better. I like mine on toast with butter and salt.

Tea for general immune boosting but not for young kids, is
Astragalus (link)
I get the loose tea and make it very weak to sip on all day long. You can add a little honey if you like it sweetened.

Lapacho or Taheebo Tea (link) is also very good against a common cold, congestions or infection.

Here are some things I make for my family -

Natural cough syrup:

Slowly simmer 2-3 Tablespoon of Fenugreek seeds
1 Tablespoon of Mullein leaves
1 Tablespoon of Hibiscus Rose (Rose of Sharon)
in 2 cup of fluoride free water for 15 minutes.

Cool to lukewarm and strain through a sieve.
Add 2/3 cup of raw honey.
Gently mix the honey into the syrup. Do that until the liquid and the honey no longer separate. (It does take some time.)
Pour into a glass bottle.

Refrigerate.
Keeps all winter.
We take a sip after every cough.

Natural antibiotic (or pro-biotic) for grown ups:

"LOBSTER GUT" (named by my grandson)
1 hot, hot, super hot pepper
1 medium size horse radish root
1 medium size ginger root
1 large hot onion
3 cloves of garlic

...everything chopped up and put into a fairly large glass jar. Cover completely (and then some) with apple cider vinegar. The best vinegar is the one that is without preservatives etc. and contains 'the mother'.
We use either 'Bragg' or 'Eden' brands.

Set this mixture by a sunny window. Gently shake every day several times. Best after about 2 weeks on the shelf. Then keep it in the refrigerator.

Start taking the vinegar juice by the tablespoon full (more or less) whenever you need it. This works really well for sinus problems if you keep it in your mouth and/or gargle with it. Then you can swallow it - no problem.

If you don't have two weeks for it to work and you must take it sooner, eat some of the cut up vegetables with every spoon full.

Link to a few more - home made recipes (link)

The Bottom Line!

1. Keep the house cool. We keep ours at 65 during the day, 67 in the evening, and 60 during the night.

2. Wear slippers. We actually use a pair of tennis shoes that are considered "house shoes". Kids are less reluctant to take off their socks and run around barefoot if they are wearing shoes.
We would rather take off one of the shirts or anything else if they get too warm, before taking off the shoes. Of course there are exceptions.

3. Wear a shirt that is long enough to be tucked in to protect the kidneys.

4. No sitting on the floor unless there is a basement below it or you live on the second floor AND there is carpeting. Otherwise the kids should sit on pillows.

5. Wear a hat outside in Fall, Winter, and Spring no matter how mild the weather. There are days when we wear no coat because it is so mild, but we still wear a thin hat.

6. Move the bed away from all outside walls. That is very important.

7. Never eat or drink cold things when it is cold outside. Everything should be at least room temperature or warmer.
#3 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Gitti. I have been on here all day b/c my 16 month old is sick w/ congestion/coughing/fever, so I've been sitting here nursing all day (while my 3 yo drives me crazy.) I have children's Sambucol down in teh cupboard, I forgot all about it! I have to get him some right now. I really think it helps.
#4 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM

Wendy, since you are so home sick for Pa, have you ever seen this or heard of this tree - ?

http://www.orthomed.com/klenner.htm

In Pennsylvania, U.S.A., it was, and for many still is, Boneset, scientifically called Eupatorium perfoliatu
#5 of 8 Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 PM

I have heard of boneset, and I definitely recognize the plant (it's not a tree, the acerola mentioned right before it was the tree, the Eupatorium perfoliatum is a small weedy plant. They're everywhere in the woods in W. PA.), but I never knew they were the same thing. Unfortunately, my family has no knowledge of herbs, etc. It's really sad b/c I am from Appalachia and my family has been in N. America for almost 300years now. My grandmother tells me her grandfather was an herbalist (who also did tarot readings), but she's an RN (had her kids in the 50's didn't bf, etc) and knows nothing about herbs. The knowledge was lost.

I'm trying to learn more about herbs, but it's not on the top of my list, so I take what my FIL tells me to. (He's also a chemist, btw, but he knows alot more about vitamin supplements and herbs than I do.)

I will definitely look for that plant when I visit my family again this summer. I know it's everywhere along the edges of roads and paths in the woods. Semi-shady places. They're always covered in spittle bugs.
#6 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 AM

I see that now, I just read it too quickly.

Herbs are of great interest to me and I love to read about what food there is in the wild that is safe for human consumption, too. Just in case...
#7 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 AM

#8 of 8 Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 AM

I am sick and 32.5 weeks prego. I suspect strep throat, I have a very sore throat- that seems swollen a bit and just feeling wore down. I really would like to avoid antibiotics, but I don't know what is the safest route here. I know i can take the SA and clo while prego, but don't know about the other stuff- any info would be appreciated.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page