Help Head lice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay before I run out and get a chemical to put on dd are there any other methods? I heard olive oil but not sure where to go with that. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Olive oil or petroleum Jelly on the head all over.

let it set for about 12 hours and then wash it out.

Gosh we had a thread here. Let me look for it because I can't remember exactly how long to let it set in the hair.

But that works much better than any of the shampoos or whatever they have in the pharmacy.

I will call dd, she knows exactly. Be right back.
#3 of 5 Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM

ok, she said to first wash the hair with water as hot as you can stand it. Then blow dry the hair over the tub on the hottest setting.

Lice do not like heat and will jump off your head into the tub.

She said you can have a vacuum sweeper ready to get them out of the tub.

She will look up the time frame as to how long to leave the olive oil/petroleum jelly in the hair.
#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 PM

You can try the nuvo method. http://nuvoforheadlice.com/ It uses Cetaphil cleanser. I did it with my kids and it worked. Be sure to do it three times (once a week). I also nit-picked every day for 2 weeks, then every other day for a week. Now I routinely check them once every week or two weeks. Except if a notice comes home from school about lice in the classroom, then I check them every day for a week then for sure once a week for a month.

For olive oil, you should do it 2 times a week for 3 weeks. Saturate the hair with oil, put on a shower cap and tie a bandana around the cap to keep oil from leaking out. Leave on overnight. The next morning, go through with a nit comb with the oil still in the hair. Then wash hair using a clarifying type shampoo (or some people suggest Dawn dish liquid), blow dry, and comb with nit comb again.

Definitely do the blow drying step. A scientist has invented a blow dryer thing that is supposed to kill lice so I think a regular blow dryer would help too. http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=101906-9
#5 of 5 Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM

also make sure you've actually got nits.
we've got KP in the family my dd and I have it so far (keratosis pilaris)
anyways the plugs that form (ever see people with white bumps on their upper arms?) look like eggs except they wont' attach to a hair like an egg would...

my dd I treated her so many times for 'lice' as she had the what looked like white eggs I treated her mostly naturally finally with the last note from school dragged her into the gp (which my GP said I should have done the first time as you want to make sure especially if you are using the harsh chemicals that the child actually does have active infestation as I guess if its just one lonely nit and no mate or sometimes the eggs aren't viable....) she said many times treatment isn't necessary.

I find it interesting that most societies in which the women customarily had long hair 'oiled' their hair. Also braiding it helps I remember...

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page