Thyroid Symptoms Come and Go??!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my thyroid ultrasound this coming wendseday but I am still trying to "cure myself" I was wondering if any one has ever had thyroid symptoms that come and go meaning the full feeling in the neck. My doc said she felt a fluid like lump (of which I in no way can find) For the last two weeks I have felt fine symptoms come and go but tonight I noticed I big change! I did a bunch of exercise today and now it feels like my lumph nodes are swallen my whole neck just feels harder. I've noticed it before to when I put my two year old in our truck that lifting her makes my neck feel funny...could this all come down to muscles being pulled or am I compleatley strange? Its just like the whole frount of my neck gets hard??? I am soooo freaked out about having my scan done that I dont even want to go. I think the fact that things keep coming and going is freaking me out more! Hope someone can help me! Please
#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2007, 01:33 PM

as diagnosed as hyperthyroid about 6 years ago. I have times when I am symptomatic and need to take medication and times when I have no symptoms and my tests all come out normal. A naturopath told me that my progesterone levels were somewhat low. I used a progesterone cream. I haven't had any problems with my thyroid for about 3 years now.
#3 of 5 Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the symptoms can come and go. I've been doing reading on thyroid problems recently, and I'm treating myself. We'll see if I succeed or fail and have to fill the prescription for Synthroid that I got. I've found ithyroid.com a good resource. Take a look and see if any of the stuff makes sense to you. FWIW, I've been taking lots of pills, including lots of zinc, selenium, and iodine, and am feeling a lot better--it took less than 2 weeks to notice a big change.

A few months ago when all I was doing was taking extra iodine, I noticed that when I was more relaxed, and thus eating better (more veggies, less sugar, no wheat/dairy) I felt a lot better, and then when life got more stressful and my eating habits went downhill, I felt tons worse.
#4 of 5 Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 PM

My blood work came back showing hyperthyroid. I'm bf'ing my 9 month old and am so afraid that they are going to tell me I have to stop in order to take medication.

I'm jumping the gun a bit as further tests are going to be done, but I'm so worried about it. If you don't treat it, is there a risk to long-term health? If not, I definitely will try every natural option first.

Any suggestions? I will check out that website that the pp mentioned. I'm freaking out a bit and I think I just need some reassurance that this isn't going to mark the end of bf'ing my babe. I bf my older son until he was 2 1/2 and I'd like to do the same or longer with this one.
#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 AM

They will probably give you PTU. They'll tell you it's conrtaindicated in breastfeeding, but if you look it up in Medications in Mother's Milk, by Thomas Hale, it'll tell you otherwise. I breastfed while taking it with absolutely no problems.
I was told that if hyperthyroid is left untreated, it can affect your heart and also deplete the calcium from your bones.
Her'es a a link to his website
http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/

I hope you're feeling better. Thyroid issues can make you feel pretty lousy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page