Skin Boils??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...my husband has a small boil in his underarm...second time in past year. The last one the doc made an incision and drained the goo out and it was so painful. He does not want to go back to the doc this time. Any suggestions or website that we could check out to heal this naturally?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 16 Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
EBG

It could be staph infection... I get it sometimes on my arm or buttocks due to systemic candida overgrowth. If it's just one or two, you could apply someting like oregano oil, tea tree oil or garlic that will kill the germs. If they keep coming back, you need to treat it internally with OO or lots of garlic. Doctors will give you abx which didn't kill my infection and made everything worse once the course was over.
#3 of 16 Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

What is OO?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Hot compresses. Hot hot hot, as hot as he can stand. Twenty minutes a pop, at least two times a day. Just a washcloth dipped in very hot water and wrung out will work fine. (You'll have to refresh the hotness periodically.)

It's probably staph aureus -- that's what most skin infections are. Some people are boil-prone. Whatever the bacteria, the hot compresses will draw a lot of white blood cells to the area, which will wall off the infection, generate a lot of pus, and bring the boil to a head. When you see the tiny white head at the surface, keep hot-soaking it, and it will open and drain. Keep on with the compresses until it's finished draining. Resist the temptation to squeeze or poke it -- you don't want to send all that infected matter into the surrounding tissue.

Topical things (like EBG posted) are useful too -- you can put a little oregano oil or neem oil in the hot compress water. Especially once it's opened, those things are good.
#6 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Salt poultices worked wonders on these for my dds. Just a handful of sea salt in a warm damp rag for 15-20 minutes. One application was all it took for my little girl. Larger boils might need it every couple of hours throughout the day until it comes ot a head. Once it does, zinc cream will help it to heal without a scar.
#7 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Angelo has a huge one on his leg

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I second the hot compress treatment, though a thorough soaking in any temperature water (like an hour long swim in a pool) can do wonders too.

Antibacterial of your choice after it's drained should work.

"What will you do once you know?"
#9 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM

I would try the other suggestions first, but my Grandma used to say that putting a piece of raw bacon on it would draw it to a head.

raw meat vs hot washcloth?

I'm going with the washcloth.
#10 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
What is OO?
oregano oil
#11 of 16 Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup View Post
I would try the other suggestions first, but my Grandma used to say that putting a piece of raw bacon on it would draw it to a head.

raw meat vs hot washcloth?

I'm going with the washcloth.
Well, it's only *really* gross if you then go on to cook and eat the bacon...:
#12 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerypolyp View Post
Well, it's only *really* gross if you then go on to cook and eat the bacon...:
:Puke

#13 of 16 Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 PM

Just jumping to add that we do the hot compresses as well with a little tea tree oil too. Works great.
#14 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM

Bumping this thread in hopes someone will see my questions.

I've got something going on on my bum that I thought were spider bites, but now I'm thinking maybe it is staph. It's so painful I can't even really sit down.
I'm going to try and treat it as staph and see what happens.

My main question is this. So I have a hot tub... which I would think would be great for the applying heat part, but I'm scared that the Bromine chemical in it could irritate the wounds. That's why I was thinking they were some kind of bug bites in the first place... because I was outside at night wearing, uhh, very little... and spent some time sitting on the edge of the tub. But I don't know. I just can't stand this pain anymore. Any idea about the Bromine, though? It's just a sanitary chemical like Chlorine, only supposedly "better".

Thanks

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#15 of 16 Old 04-16-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't know about the bromine, but I know that when we were dealing with MRSA, we were told to take chlorine bleach baths. (I know. So not natural.) It may not be a big concern.

BUT: you may be dealing with MRSA -- a resistant form of staph that's especially nasty and gets passed around. People usually seek medical care for a "spider bite" and find out it's a MRSA infection. In your situation I really might consider getting a wound culture done. You just pick up a little swab-in-vial thing from the doctor and collect a sample when it comes to a head, and then they can culture it.

If you are, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily need antibiotics (although if you do, they'll be different from the usual ones that get prescribed). You'll still do hot compresses and stuff. But you will want to do some things to bolster your immune system, and some special household stuff to decrease the chance of being reinfected.

Good luck. I've had the whole hurts-to-sit thing. It's, well, a pain in the...
#16 of 16 Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks.
After spending a good portion of my day researching all this, I think I figured out that the problem is actually with the hot tub itself. I gotta get me some test strips, because I think something's off with it. That just gives me the heebeejeebees thinking that I picked up bacteria from the hot tub. Eeeewww. But as far as I can tell, that's just a hair follicle infection and not very transmittable. Regardless, I'm being very careful, and am keeping my eye on dd and dp.

That was still very helpful, though, thanks a bunch. Unfortunately I have no medical insurance, so I just kinda have to hold out unless it gets terribly bad. I did soak them today which opened them up, and I've been actually able to SIT since then w/o excruciating pain. Oh, how I missed sitting!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page