can a yeast infection cause a miscarriage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been battling a yeast infection for several months - I have had two miscarriages during that time - I also had two miscarriages in the past while not battling yeast. But i am concerned because I have had breakthrough bleeding after my period and I am wondering if it is realted to yeast. ANyone have any insight? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

just a bump...
#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure if yeast infections will cause a miscarriage, but I've read that bacterial vaginosis can. BV can cause itching, discharge and discomfort similar to a yeast infection.
#4 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopesmommy View Post
I'm not sure if yeast infections will cause a miscarriage, but I've read that bacterial vaginosis can. BV can cause itching, discharge and discomfort similar to a yeast infection.

Do you know how to tell the diffrence? I am worried about the bleeding - I am figuring it is fromt he yeast - when io had it really bad externally it caused open sores on my vulva - the doc had diagnosed it as yeast that time. I have tried pretty much everything mainstream - and am working on implementing some homeopathic cures and cutting sugars completely out. but i am wondering if the yeast is so bad internally that it has caused open sores on my cervix or uterus like the external yeast did. i am tired of seeing doctors. also, do you happent oknow what the best treatment for bv is?

thanks again.
#5 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM

You usually treat BV with a gel called Metrogel...you use it the same way you do a yeast med. It takes about a week but you will feel much better.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#6 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. after looking googling bv - it seems unlikely thats what i have. I am pretty sure it is yeast. does anyone know anything about yeast and infertility? Also, can a really bad yeast infection get into my cervix or uterus and cause sores like an external yeast infection? and then cause bleeding? I am on cd 11 with really light spotting (not usual for me).
#7 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM

I would suggest hormone testing, particularly progesterone levels. Hormonal imbalances can make you more prone to yeast and can also increase your risk of miscarriage. Break through bleeding is also a symptom of low progesterone. Hope you find answers soon!
#8 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
arg! this internet connection is sooooo sloooooow! Anyway, just thought I'd share - I asked a nurse friend of my parents' this afternoon, and she is quite certain that yeast doesn't grow into the uterus. I'm sure she doesn't know *everything*, but she does work primarily in well-woman care, so she knows quite a bit. I am somewhat reassured. Also, unless the yeast is irritating your cervix quite a bit, it shouldn't affect a pregnancy. How many weeks were you when you miscarried? I don't have the patience for this connection, nor access to my books here, but you should look up when the cervix becomes "competent", or closes (this would be about when they put the stitch into an "incompetent" cevix during pregnancy), because I would think that cervical irritation before that point wouldn't have too great of an effect. Just a hypothesis.
Also, do you know how to find your cervix? Because if you do, you should be able to feel carefully along it and you would feel any lumps, bumps, sore spots, roughness, etc, etc. If it is nice and smooth, you could feel pretty secure in the knowledge that it doesn't have any sores on it.
Miscarriages and fertility can certainly do a number on a person's confidence in their bodies, as well as cause a woman to question every. single. thing.
Best.
Katia

For greater things are yet to come...

#9 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyshoe View Post
I would suggest hormone testing, particularly progesterone levels. Hormonal imbalances can make you more prone to yeast and can also increase your risk of miscarriage. Break through bleeding is also a symptom of low progesterone. Hope you find answers soon!

I did need to take progesterone for my successful 2nd pregancy. but I was on the progesterone for these last two miscarriages as well and it didn;t matter. they were at 10 and 6 weeks. the 10 week miscarriage was probably from a genetic abnormailty and who knows about the 6 weeks one. but i was on progesterone and my levels were fine when checked (after starting the suppositories). Is it possible i may need progesterone just to GET pregnant? I thought that taking progesterone can cause one noet ovulate. so i have always waited (on the advice of my doctor) to take it after i have had a postitive pregnancy test.
#10 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
Miscarriages and fertility can certainly do a number on a person's confidence in their bodies, as well as cause a woman to question every. single. thing.
Best.
Katia
f

Katia -

I have more to say, but I had to respond first to this. Thank you. I don't know you, but your words have meant so much to me. So thank you.
#11 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
arg! this internet connection is sooooo sloooooow! Anyway, just thought I'd share - I asked a nurse friend of my parents' this afternoon, and she is quite certain that yeast doesn't grow into the uterus. I'm sure she doesn't know *everything*, but she does work primarily in well-woman care, so she knows quite a bit. I am somewhat reassured. Also, unless the yeast is irritating your cervix quite a bit, it shouldn't affect a pregnancy. How many weeks were you when you miscarried? I don't have the patience for this connection, nor access to my books here, but you should look up when the cervix becomes "competent", or closes (this would be about when they put the stitch into an "incompetent" cevix during pregnancy), because I would think that cervical irritation before that point wouldn't have too great of an effect. Just a hypothesis.
Also, do you know how to find your cervix? Because if you do, you should be able to feel carefully along it and you would feel any lumps, bumps, sore spots, roughness, etc, etc. If it is nice and smooth, you could feel pretty secure in the knowledge that it doesn't have any sores on it.
Best.
Katia

I don't think my miscarriages are a result of incompetnt cervix. I am glad you asked your moms friend about the yeast in the uterus. That is reassuring. I hav tried to find my cervix in the past, but I am not sure what I am feeling. I am just wondering where the bleeding is coming from. I really do not want to go to the doctor. The biggest reason being, i have gone som any times in the past regarding fertility and pregnancys and basically, whatever is going to happen, happens But maybe I need to have my non pregancy hormones tested.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I appreciate all this information.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page