any advice about constipation/anal fissures? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what to do with my 12 month old. H really doesn't eat THAT much solids so I don't know why he's having such problems. He'll only eat a few bites every meal. Sometimes a little more. He self feeds. I admit, he lOVES bananas and cheese, but it's not all he eats by any means.

He hasn't had very regular poos for about 2 months now. He has these very small (tiny) poos many many times a day. It seems he's always pushing unless we are outside or busy.

Lately he has started stamping his foot when he's pooping and getting upset. Today he is bleeeing the smallest amount right at his anus. I guess it might be a fissure. His poops don't seem really dry or hard....pretty normal I guess.

So, should I just cut all solids out for a bit and give him all breastmilk to soften it up. Or just cut out any and all bananas and cheese until this subsides? It's hard to not give solids now b/c he sees us eating, kwim?

What should I do? Any advice?

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Definately keep him hyrdated as much as you can and try to get some softening foods into him.

As far as treatment of the fissure, I had these chronically after I gave birth. There are all sorts of things that are theoretically supposed to help, but what worked best for me as far as getting it to heal and not get worse every time I had to poop was to clean the area well with hydrogen peroxide after every BM, and then slather my arse with neosporin -- it kept the skin moisturized, and prevented infection and sped up the healing. It also made it hurt less.

Hope that helps a little!

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 06:16 PM

our ped, when asked about the constipation and anal fissures, said to increase pears.

our naturopath muscle tested dd for her constipation and anal fissures. said she had h. pylori and gave us some tinctures - 2 herbal (maily cat's claw) and one probiotic. we're about half way through the bottles and it hasn't seemed to change so much.

even the slightest bit of cheese or bananas really affect her poor little bum, so she really doesn't get them so much any more and that is about all that really helps.

she downs the breastmilk, so dehydration isn't a problem.

from an ayurvedic standpoint, it's excess vata (dryness), which means that you should increase warm, moist foods - more good oils, cooked fibrous veggies, soups, etc. easier said than done with kids that aren't too into solids, but something to think about as your little one starts to eat more.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 PM

For us, it was/is all about the dairy. I couldn't eat any until he was about 8 months or so and now he's almost 2 and I can eat it and it doesn't seem to affect him but if he eats cheese or yogurt=painful poo problems. Try cutting out dairy and see what happens. Also, prune juice is what I use if he's gotten dairy--I make a purple cow of almond milk and prune juice and that always softens everything up. Sweet potatoes also seem to do the trick.
#5 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 AM

Our daughter (2 1/2) was the same way. She would poop probably once every other day or once every other other day. (Does that make sense? )

Not only would she get the fissures, but her rectum/anus would prolapse and we'd have to push it back in. And it hurt her so badly. :

Cheese, yogurt, bananas and milk were the culprits. Even a tiny bit of these things binds her up again. We've had to completely transition her to goat's milk and cut out all other dairy and bananas. So far (it's been two months) the constipation has ceased!
#6 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 AM

one more thing:

I read somewhere (where was it?) that 75% of toddler chronic constipation problems are remedied by removing dairy.
#7 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post

He hasn't had very regular poos for about 2 months now. He has these very small (tiny) poos many many times a day. It seems he's always pushing unless we are outside or busy.
This was the case with my daughter after we started solids. I was so used to the very infrequent poops while exclusively breastfeeding that I didn't really worry when she would go for days without pooping. And then she started the tiny poos multiple times a day. I just knew that the poop would "change" once they started solids, and figured she was okay and it was just a change to more formed poop. Small little dribs and drabs of more solid poop. I wish I had been more on top of the issue.

It was sort of "normal" poop (not hard or dry) when it did come. I just didn't get that I needed to be more proactive. I did figure out that something was wrong (and that she was distressed) and I took her to our doctor when she was ten months old. At the exam, the doctor saw the anal fissure and showed us. I felt so bad! By that time, there was the issue of retaining for fear of pain, and the cycle was pretty bad. We did use pediatric suppositories for awhile to try to make sure she could have pain-free movements for long enough for her body to "forget" to be afraid.

We've had recurring problems off and on. (She'll be three in a few weeks.) She never seems actual constipated, but she will go a day or two without a movement, even though she does consume quite a bit of fiber and is eating a lot, in general. I try to encourage more fluids (she also still nurses, but not so much during the day anymore) and it seems like avocado helps.

She can eat prunes and I don't notice much difference. Pears might help; I'd have to really take notes to remember for sure. During the summer, lots of blueberries and peaches had her very soft and quick. And it seems to me that avocado (she tends to eat a fairly big portion) helps some, too.

She tends to have very large movements, not too firm or hard, but large (in amount, but really I mean in "girth.") It makes me wonder if her bowels are enlarged even now, as a result of her early problems. Maybe that's why they don't move so often? I don't know...but I wonder.

Just wanted to encourage you not to ignore it (which you're not, I know.)
#8 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM

ds had constant constipation for a long time. Please get to the bottom of it now. I let it go for too long with ds.
His ended up being a yeast allergy. Look up candida.
#9 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM

I'd stop solids for a few days and let his body heal a bit, then go back to solids with some of the least allergic foods... rice, millet, pears, chicken and turkey, etc.

Bananas and dairy are both high allergens, and more difficult for the digestive system to handle.

Try using this list http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html and start at the top of each column and move down it slowly... and def. postpone any more dairy for a while.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#10 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM

moved to health and healing
#11 of 11 Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa2976 View Post

Bananas and dairy are both high allergens, and more difficult for the digestive system to handle.
OT: But is that why dairy and bananas are binding, because ones body is allergic to them? Is it possible for them to bind you up while NOT being allergic to them? I am really curious about this because I would be horrified to think that when I have given my children bananas to slow down diareah I ahve basically been making their bodies fight an allergy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page