Healing the Gut Tribe-February - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
Hey everyone. Am subscribing to this as I'm going to start working more aggressively to try and figure out what's going on with dd's gut issues.

Our story is we unfortunately had a homebirth transport that ended up in a horrible c-sec with loads and loads of antibiotics due to a uterine infection and probable meconium aspiration. Once dd was about 4 weeks old (she is almost 4 months old now) she started having several hour long episodes of hysterical crying so I cut out dairy and wheat. After about a month she was much improved but has never had "normal" BF poop. Her poops are like an orange-ish peanut butter consistency and smell horribly. I've restarted her on some acidophilus but it says that it's in a "base similar to that of breastmilk." Does anyone know what that might be? I might just go ahead and get a different brand if I can find something here locally that has no dairy in it. I'm going to start TED ASAP as well to try and figure out what else might be going on.

If anyone has any tips for a beginner trying to help heal a 4-month old's gut please LMK
I would recommend Solaray BabyLife--it's a dairy-free bifidus infantis only probiotic (an EBF baby should only get bifidus infantis). Get it from www.iherb.com if you can't find it locally, or get a bifidus infantis only probiotic from www.customprobiotics.com. They are very pricey initially but long-term are much cheaper than other probiotics as you can give high doses (50+ billion CFU's) for the same price as 6-12 billion CFU's a day of the HFS ones. If you call and tell them it is for an infant they'll sell you 25 grams instead of 50. If I had to do all this gut healing over again I would have started my DD on those as soon as I realized she had gut issues (at 3 months old) and maybe she wouldn't be allergic to so many foods now. (I didn't find a dairy-free probiotic until she was 8 months old, and although it helped her, I think super strong probiotics at a younger age would have done a lot more for her.)

Other than that, an elimination diet is a good bet IMO...you could just eliminate the top 8 allergens before doing a TED if you want as it'd probably be a bit easier on you. Anything you can do to help heal your gut will help as well--do you have any symptoms of yeast overgrowth or gut problems yourself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Nolansmum--have you looked into the Houston enzymes at all? I was just reading the other day that their No-Fenol is specifically designed to help phenols and salicylate reactions--maybe that's something that would help increase your tolerances? I still suspect my DD has mild salicylate reactions, and if that still seems likely in a month or two, I think I'll try those enzymes for her before I try Failsafe or a low salicylate diet. I think she only has problems when she eats high salicylate foods or when her total salicylate load gets too high. We'll see, though, I've been wrong before (most of the time I am I think!).
Yes I have thought about taking these. I am still trying to do a proper elimination diet, we still have not reached baseline yet but I am trying my first supp now, it is liquid molybdenum, too soon to say what effect it is having. I want to trial everything one at a time and those HOuston enzymes may be next. DS's skin is so much better, it is soft and smooth everywhere without the use of any lotions(it has been cold and dry here so this is fantastic), he just has some patchy redness left on his cheeks that flairs and recedes but never goes completely. I am wondering if he is sensitive to sulfur...

We create our own reality.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Yes I have thought about taking these. I am still trying to do a proper elimination diet, we still have not reached baseline yet but I am trying my first supp now, it is liquid molybdenum, too soon to say what effect it is having. I want to trial everything one at a time and those HOuston enzymes may be next. DS's skin is so much better, it is soft and smooth everywhere without the use of any lotions(it has been cold and dry here so this is fantastic), he just has some patchy redness left on his cheeks that flairs and recedes but never goes completely. I am wondering if he is sensitive to sulfur...
Please post/let me know if you try them. DD's skin was almost clear but then she reacted to something she ate, I think either avocados or cauliflower. I really can't see her actually being allergic/intolerant to either of those, and she's fine when I eat them, so I think it's probably food chemicals. I've also noticed that she has trouble going to sleep at night when she eats squash or zucchini, although I need to track it longer to make sure there's actually a pattern there and not coincidence. I'm pretty certain it's salicylates and not amines with her as she seems fine with aged meats. Either way I don't want to do Failsafe as I'm sure it will be very bad for me and my yeast issues so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place there. I'll probably be weaning her in the next 6-9 months so if she's still having issues I may put her on Failsafe for a trial then.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Hi All,
Everywhere I post people keep sending me here, so finally, here I am!
I have an 8 month old ds. Since about 4 months he has had mucous in the stool, and bright red eczema on his cheeks.
Before 4 months, he was extremely gassy, bloated stomach, white tounge, which 2 peds said was not yeast.
At about 4 months I had mastatis and than a UTI back to back and took antibiotics for each.
At 2 months he had a Hib shot and at 4 months DTap. He also had DTap at 6 months (please no lecture here).
I have been on an elimination diet since the beg of Dec-no soy, dairy, gluten, nuts, eggs (we have an egg allergy in the family-dh and dd).
He had IgE testing and showed severe peanut allergy and mild potato allergy. I stopped eating potatoes and not much changed.
His sleep is awful-nurses all night and likes to be propped up or held.
His eczema is much better but now comes and goes-sometimes within hours.

I eat a lot of rice products, most veggies, I am limiting fruits incase it is yeast related, I eat turkey and lamb as my main meats. It seems that beans bother him, but I am not sure as it seems everything bothers him, or rather that nothing seems to help!

I am new to all of this. I used to eat anything I wanted and never thought I had a problem, but since giving up gluten, my own gas issues have gotten much better, but I am now a bit constipated.

I ordered Neonate by pharmax to give him for probiotics but haven't gotten it yet.

sorry this is so long!
I really want to heal him/us. I am at a loss for what to eat now. I know I need more oils and less rice products.
I have no clue if he actually reacts to anything I am avioding or not.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I would recommend Solaray BabyLife--it's a dairy-free bifidus infantis only probiotic (an EBF baby should only get bifidus infantis).
I've never heard that before. What's the reasoning?

Also, are the custom probiotics human derived?

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
I've never heard that before. What's the reasoning?

Also, are the custom probiotics human derived?
Because studies have shown that something like 90% of the beneficial bacteria in an EBF baby's gut is bifidus infantis. I have no idea if they're human derived...I believe most probiotics are, so probably, but you'd have to ask them
Old 02-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Because studies have shown that something like 90% of the beneficial bacteria in an EBF baby's gut is bifidus infantis. I have no idea if they're human derived...I believe most probiotics are, so probably, but you'd have to ask them
A lot are plant derived and our bodies don't utilize them the same way as the human derived ones. I'll call and see.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A lot are plant derived and our bodies don't utilize them the same way as the human derived ones. I'll call and see.
I didn't know that! Let us know what you find out, please
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
PapayaVagina, I would make sure your dd is getting a dairy free, bifidus-only probiotic. Also, take a multi strain yourself. Read the healing the gut sticky at the top of this forum, too. to you. It will get better.
Great thanks!! I missed the stickey at the top yesterday. I've been looking through it this morning. Too bad most of the links don't work anymore

I'm so surprised about the Tylenol! I'm definitely not a fan of using Tylenol whatsoever but dd has been teething and Hyland's don't work for her whatsoever and she has been crying and crying and crying and sleeping like crap so I've been giving it to her x1 a day.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM

Okay....question...

For those using kefir or homemade yogurt for the probiotics, are you using this in addition to taking probiotics?

Also, if I scored high (8+) on an IgG test for milk, does that mean that eating homemade yogurt would be bad for me? I haven't had any dairy in over a year.

I'm interested in doing this to get some extra probiotics, but if it will hinder my gut healing, I won't. Any insight?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 AM

My eight month old has been miserable for eight months. He cries all the time and needs to be held constantly. He's a light sleeper and still wakes 3-4 times a night. he has pale skin, bags under his eyes, and screams like a rooster. He also doesn't roll very often (but has rolled over a few times).

I think he's allergic to everything that I'm eating. I did the very strict Sears TED for ten days and that helped -- ds even slept through the night, but I botched it with chocolate and can't seem to get back to eating well. My weakness is chocolate and I'm eating the Enjoy Life just about every allergen free chocolate, but, alas, it still bothers him, I think.

Baby gets pro-biotics. Eats just pears and squash (cause they're non-allergic).

I take probiotics and I have an enzyme for myself, but I don't bother with it. Will it help him, too?

I've been dairy free for months.

My oldest son has sensory issues and is GFCF (and corn and soy, as much as possible).

I don't think I can keep to a non-allergic diet. Do I throw in the BF towel and give him some allergen free formula? ( I BFed my other two sons till they were three + and my oldest child still has leaky gut!)

Any words of encouragement are welcome and necessary.

thanks.

- p
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay....question...

For those using kefir or homemade yogurt for the probiotics, are you using this in addition to taking probiotics?

Also, if I scored high (8+) on an IgG test for milk, does that mean that eating homemade yogurt would be bad for me? I haven't had any dairy in over a year.

I'm interested in doing this to get some extra probiotics, but if it will hinder my gut healing, I won't. Any insight?
I just read somewhere that the IgG allergy tests only show what you eat frequently, they don't really reflect what you are sensitive to...I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Anyhow, there are plenty of dairy-free probiotic options that might be a bit safer for you to try, such as kombucha, beet kvass, or water kefirs. I use all three...I have also taken probiotics but I think the drinks are much stronger and more effective...I've read that 16 oz of kefir can contain 5 TRILLION good bacteria, which is far stronger than any probiotic on the market. Speaking from personal experience, probiotic drinks can be pretty strong!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 AM

hi.

Does a chocolate craving signal a deficiency in something? If so, what? Or, where could I research this.

Also, anyone try hypnosis to help avoid foods? Just a thought.

thanks.

- paula
Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
My eight month old has been miserable for eight months. He cries all the time and needs to be held constantly. He's a light sleeper and still wakes 3-4 times a night. he has pale skin, bags under his eyes, and screams like a rooster. He also doesn't roll very often (but has rolled over a few times).

I think he's allergic to everything that I'm eating. I did the very strict Sears TED for ten days and that helped -- ds even slept through the night, but I botched it with chocolate and can't seem to get back to eating well. My weakness is chocolate and I'm eating the Enjoy Life just about every allergen free chocolate, but, alas, it still bothers him, I think.

I take probiotics and I have an enzyme for myself, but I don't bother with it. Will it help him, too?

My oldest son has sensory issues and is GFCF (and corn and soy, as much as possible).

I don't think I can keep to a non-allergic diet. Do I throw in the BF towel and give him some allergen free formula? ( I BFed my other two sons till they were three + and my oldest child still has leaky gut!)

thanks.

- p
You may want to look into food chemical sensitivities...I believe chocolate is high in amines (Nolansmum, is that right?) and if your DS reacts to that it might be something to consider. There's a diet (Failsafe) for those...it's also possible that the TED is low in food chemicals but I don't know enough about it to say. Can you do the TED again for a bit longer and add foods back in one at a time, or at least eliminate the top 8 allergens (and maybe corn as well) to see if that helps?

Formula might be something to consider if you are unable/unwilling to change your diet. Unfortunately exclusive or extended BF'ing does not guarantee a healthy gut, as all of us here have learned. And you will have to make some dietary changes to help him...it's sort of a trial and error process, unfortunately. Probably the first step is figuring out what is he reacting to, whether it be particular foods or food chemicals. When you added things back on after the TED, were you able to figure out any foods that he reacted to?

There is no such thing as "non-allergenic" food or formula--they may be very low on the allergen scales, but there are people who are allergic to pears and squash, and hypoallergenic formula doesn't always help.

What probiotics and what dose is your DS getting? Enzymes may help some and they can help heal your gut but it will take some time.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 AM

Let's see -- ds was doing great when I ate only
pears
squash
lamb
turkey
potatoes
sweet potatoes

I didn't add things back in slowly -- went hog wild and ate everything in sight -- and he has been irritable and not sleeping well since (duh!)

He's taking Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder (approx. 615 mg. 2 x per day).

Any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
hi.

Does a chocolate craving signal a deficiency in something? If so, what? Or, where could I research this.

Also, anyone try hypnosis to help avoid foods? Just a thought.

thanks.

- paula
Chocolate is very high in amines. We are often addicted to the foods that are the worst for us. I know it is difficult to alter diet but it may be worth it for your DS, only you can decide.

The Failsafe diet has been pretty easy for me to stick to, in 7 weeks I have not cheated. This coming from someone who could barely make 3-4 days on SCD without cheating. Check out the Failsafe intro diet
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...tion-diet.aspx

We create our own reality.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 AM

I have not been keeping up with this thread, probably because I am trying to sort out my next move, so to speak. I have had a number of doctor's visits and lots of testing, and still not a much clearer understanding of what is going on. :

But going backwards, here is my updated situation:

Tonight met with the GI doc to hear about the results of my colonscopy. Everything, including the biopsies, looks completely normal. So I am back with the diagnosis of IBS. He said I could come back (in two months??) to do a test for lactose intolerance. A breath test. He also wrote down a list of blood tests for my PCP to get done. Also an ultrasound since I was complaining of tenderness in my abdominal area. He did feel around and said that I am filled with gas. My bloating has been HORRIBLE lately, really really awful.

My endoscopy, which I had done a number of weeks ago, showed a hiatal hernia and acute gastritis. I was prescribed an anti-acid, which I did not take, thinking I have too little stomach acid. All the nausea and discomfort I was having prior to this are pretty much gone. Except for after eating a salad I feel a bit nauseous. Would this jive with too little stomach acid?

My face rash, which was coming on every week with increasing and alarming severity, got hugely better after I took out my nose ring, at the prompting of the homeopath I saw. The rashes started before I got the nose ring, but in retrospect, I guess they got much worse after. My skin is still not normal and I get repeated "outbreaks", but it is no where as bad as it was when people were afraid that I was going to go into anaphylatic shock. I did see an allergist/immunologist, who thought I needed to see a derm to get skin patch testing. So I am jumping through the necessary hoops so that my insurance will pay for it and will see the derm who does patch testing in about a month.

My PCP did some blood work on me in the midst of all of this and it came back completely normal, except for my basophil levels are high. According to him, this is in keeping with an allergic reaction, but it is not specific as to point out what my triggers are. Also I might be a bit hypoglycemic.

The homeopath also had lots of things to say. He says I have weak spleen, liver and adrenal function. Lymph nodes were enlarged, possible thyroid involvement, sinuses don't look good (which didn't surprise me -- I have been blowing my nose all the time all my life). Hmmm, what else? Thinks that I should start by eliminating dairy. And sugar since I might have hypoglycemia. Then wheat. Sigh. I am probably low in zinc, so am supplementing with that now.

Oh, and lungs are a bit weak. Blood pressure is on the low side. Goodness, I think that is it. Well, I guess the overall conclusion is that my immune system is down.

So I have more blood work to get done, based on the GI's recommendations, possibly a stool analysis, and an ultrasound. Also the patch testing.

I have more or less stopped all supplements except for what the homeopath has given me. Upon hearing that I am filled with gas, I took some protease enzymes tonight, which have helped with gas before.

I must figure my diet out better. I have also pretty much thrown any rational thought out the window because it seemed like nothing was helping enough. But how I am eating now (way too many grains and dairy) is also very much not ok for me.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I have not been keeping up with this thread, probably because I am trying to sort out my next move, so to speak. I have had a number of doctor's visits and lots of testing, and still not a much clearer understanding of what is going on. :

But going backwards, here is my updated situation:

Tonight met with the GI doc to hear about the results of my colonscopy. Everything, including the biopsies, looks completely normal. So I am back with the diagnosis of IBS. He said I could come back (in two months??) to do a test for lactose intolerance. A breath test. He also wrote down a list of blood tests for my PCP to get done. Also an ultrasound since I was complaining of tenderness in my abdominal area. He did feel around and said that I am filled with gas. My bloating has been HORRIBLE lately, really really awful.

My endoscopy, which I had done a number of weeks ago, showed a hiatal hernia and acute gastritis. I was prescribed an anti-acid, which I did not take, thinking I have too little stomach acid. All the nausea and discomfort I was having prior to this are pretty much gone. Except for after eating a salad I feel a bit nauseous. Would this jive with too little stomach acid?

My face rash, which was coming on every week with increasing and alarming severity, got hugely better after I took out my nose ring, at the prompting of the homeopath I saw. The rashes started before I got the nose ring, but in retrospect, I guess they got much worse after. My skin is still not normal and I get repeated "outbreaks", but it is no where as bad as it was when people were afraid that I was going to go into anaphylatic shock. I did see an allergist/immunologist, who thought I needed to see a derm to get skin patch testing. So I am jumping through the necessary hoops so that my insurance will pay for it and will see the derm who does patch testing in about a month.

My PCP did some blood work on me in the midst of all of this and it came back completely normal, except for my basophil levels are high. According to him, this is in keeping with an allergic reaction, but it is not specific as to point out what my triggers are. Also I might be a bit hypoglycemic.

The homeopath also had lots of things to say. He says I have weak spleen, liver and adrenal function. Lymph nodes were enlarged, possible thyroid involvement, sinuses don't look good (which didn't surprise me -- I have been blowing my nose all the time all my life). Hmmm, what else? Thinks that I should start by eliminating dairy. And sugar since I might have hypoglycemia. Then wheat. Sigh. I am probably low in zinc, so am supplementing with that now.

Oh, and lungs are a bit weak. Blood pressure is on the low side. Goodness, I think that is it. Well, I guess the overall conclusion is that my immune system is down.

So I have more blood work to get done, based on the GI's recommendations, possibly a stool analysis, and an ultrasound. Also the patch testing.

I have more or less stopped all supplements except for what the homeopath has given me. Upon hearing that I am filled with gas, I took some protease enzymes tonight, which have helped with gas before.

I must figure my diet out better. I have also pretty much thrown any rational thought out the window because it seemed like nothing was helping enough. But how I am eating now (way too many grains and dairy) is also very much not ok for me.
: Wow, you do have a lot going on! Have you tried PM'ing JaneS? She might have some ideas for you.

Is it possible that you could have yeast issues? I know hypoglycemia and digestive issues are really common with candida overgrowth. In any case, it seems like a meat and veggies diet might be helpful as they tend to be easier to digest than dairy, grains, legumes, and nuts.

I've read that adrenal fatigue can cause hypoglycemia, and also that 90% of the vitamin C in your body is used by your adrenal glands. I mega-dosed with vitamin C for a while and I think it helped my adrenals as I have nowhere near the hypoglycemia issues I used to have, even when I don't eat well. My bowel tolerance for vitamin C was 40+ grams/day when I started, I took 20 grams a day for a while, then dropped it to 10, and just a couple of weeks ago dropped it to 5 grams a day as 10 was bowel tolerance. So I'm guessing my adrenal function has improved.

I would agree that the constant-nose-blowing sounds indicative of a dairy issue. Have you thought about trying an elimination diet to see if there are particular foods you're reacting to?

Okay, this probably isn't much help--I'm just throwing out whatever I can think of on the off chance something will ring a bell for you.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Let's see -- ds was doing great when I ate only
pears
squash
lamb
turkey
potatoes
sweet potatoes

I didn't add things back in slowly -- went hog wild and ate everything in sight -- and he has been irritable and not sleeping well since (duh!)

He's taking Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder (approx. 615 mg. 2 x per day).

Any thoughts?

thanks.
You could try upping his probiotics. www.customprobiotics.com has bifidus infantis...it's pricey up front but you can give 50-100 billion CFU's a day for the same price as 12 billion CFU's of the BabyLife. If you tell them it's for an infant they'll sell you 25 grams instead of 50.

IIRC chocolate is high in magnesium, so maybe you're magnesium deficient if you're craving chocolate.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Does a chocolate craving signal a deficiency in something?
i can't answer the "what" part, but my experience is that my chocolate cravings are hard to resist when they come. even knowing how badly dd2 was suffering as a newborn (arching when nursing:?reflux, crying, terrible nights...), i still fell off the wagon at times.

4 years ago when i went on an anti-yeast diet (?5 weeks of flavorlessly prepared veggies, meat and rice), my cravings went away (as well as most of my interest in food as anything other than fuel). the first week was hell, then it was just taste boredom and the frustration of not being able to eat anywhere but home, unless i brought my/dd1's own food.

lately i've been using a mineral supplement in our water (desalinated utah great salt lake salt), based on the info in the nutrition/immunology 101 sticky in the vax forum:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=406983

and other info sources, including a berkeley professor who believes america's obesity issue is due to the mineral depletion of our foods, and the body's hunger for nutrients going unmet.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=009&sc=599
Quote:
Like Ames, epidemiologists are increasingly studying the phenomenon of "hidden hunger," which occurs when people eat a low-cost diet that's filling, but provides few micronutrients. In less developed countries, this type of malnutrition often stems from only eating a single type of grain. Here, it can evolve from a diet of unhealthy processed foods, which are often the cheapest calories available. People who eat little fresh produce, Ames says, are "starving for vitamins and minerals. They're not starving for calories, but you need more than calories."
since starting to supplement my drinking water (5-6wks) i've had more energy, and less hunger, next to no cravings, and have dropped the 5# that didn't come off after dd2. i only gained ~20#, since i was food averse throughout pregnancy, but my weight was stable for a year at that 5# heavier. i've been using concentrace trace mineral drops.

http://www.traceminerals.com/products/drops.html

it comes in 2, 4, 8oz. you put ~20 drops in a half gallon of water, or add to soups, cooked cereal, etc. it's pretty cheap, considering how little you use at a time. my 8oz bottle is still half full.

use a shopping searcher to get the best price:
http://www1.bottomdollar.com/p___Tra...ral+drop/skd=1

i swear i'm not a rep!

so you might try the minerals at first and see if it helps with the cravings, which would help you then go on to make further dietary changes. good luck!

ETA: one thing to be aware of is that it can be hard at first to give up the experience of craving itself: that emotional roller coaster of longing followed by blissful satisfaction. the satisfaction is related to the beta-endorphin release (mother nature's drug that heroin is an imposter of), which is your body's way of coping with your eating something that is actually bad for you. i was a donut junkie for a while after giving up dairy 5 years ago. i would think about them all day, then when dh brought them home i would inhale them without tasting them, but feel the relief wash over me with the first bite.

my signature is usually illegible
Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post

since starting to supplement my drinking water (5-6wks) i've had more energy, and less hunger, next to no cravings, and have dropped the 5# that didn't come off after dd2. i only gained ~20#, since i was food averse throughout pregnancy, but my weight was stable for a year at that 5# heavier. i've been using concentrace trace mineral drops.

http://www.traceminerals.com/products/drops.html

it comes in 2, 4, 8oz. you put ~20 drops in a half gallon of water, or add to soups, cooked cereal, etc. it's pretty cheap, considering how little you use at a time. my 8oz bottle is still half full.
How do these taste? I've thought about getting them in the past but I'm afraid they'd taste horrible and I'd never use them.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:10 PM

http://www.i-sis.org.uk/BanGMprobiotics.php

Yikes! This is the one place that I thought this might be appreciated...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Chocolate is very high in amines. We are often addicted to the foods that are the worst for us. I know it is difficult to alter diet but it may be worth it for your DS, only you can decide.

The Failsafe diet has been pretty easy for me to stick to, in 7 weeks I have not cheated. This coming from someone who could barely make 3-4 days on SCD without cheating. Check out the Failsafe intro diet
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuf...tion-diet.aspx
It's also high in magnesium which most are deficient in. Try taking supplemental mag and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acugirl View Post
Hi All,
Everywhere I post people keep sending me here, so finally, here I am!
I have an 8 month old ds. Since about 4 months he has had mucous in the stool, and bright red eczema on his cheeks.
Before 4 months, he was extremely gassy, bloated stomach, white tounge, which 2 peds said was not yeast.
At about 4 months I had mastatis and than a UTI back to back and took antibiotics for each.
At 2 months he had a Hib shot and at 4 months DTap. He also had DTap at 6 months (please no lecture here).
I have been on an elimination diet since the beg of Dec-no soy, dairy, gluten, nuts, eggs (we have an egg allergy in the family-dh and dd).
He had IgE testing and showed severe peanut allergy and mild potato allergy. I stopped eating potatoes and not much changed.
His sleep is awful-nurses all night and likes to be propped up or held.
His eczema is much better but now comes and goes-sometimes within hours.

I eat a lot of rice products, most veggies, I am limiting fruits incase it is yeast related, I eat turkey and lamb as my main meats. It seems that beans bother him, but I am not sure as it seems everything bothers him, or rather that nothing seems to help!

I am new to all of this. I used to eat anything I wanted and never thought I had a problem, but since giving up gluten, my own gas issues have gotten much better, but I am now a bit constipated.

I ordered Neonate by pharmax to give him for probiotics but haven't gotten it yet.

sorry this is so long!
I really want to heal him/us. I am at a loss for what to eat now. I know I need more oils and less rice products.
I have no clue if he actually reacts to anything I am avioding or not.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
Thanks.

nak-welcome! I'll write more when I have two hands....neonate has a lactose base. If you're avoiding dairy you may want another probiotic...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:

thanks.

- p
Sorry if this has been covered...again, nak. There are no foods that are non-allergenic, just foods that are least likely to be allergens. Your little one *could* be reacting to both pears and squash. NOt saying it's happening, just don't discount it.

Breastfeeding for many reasons is the best way to go. You need to heal yourself along with your baby. Sounds like all your kiddos need some probiotics!

I am on a gluten, casein, egg, soy, peanut, chocolate, grain, sesame free diet. It is hard, no doubt about it. But it's not forever and its my baby's best chance of developing normally. The most important thing to recognize is that there is no such thing as allergen-free. Anything is a gamble, but at least with bf you are passing immunoglobulins, enzymes, probiotics and all kinds of other good stuff!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
How do these taste? I've thought about getting them in the past but I'm afraid they'd taste horrible and I'd never use them.
considering the taste deprivation most of us deal with by being on restricted diets, they taste fine. not so refreshing as california sierra nevada snowmelt, but better than san jose water during the drought. just a little "mineraly." my french/ivorian SIL says it tasted like french mineral water. and you just add however many drops you want, so it's easy to dilute to the point of being drinkable. these days i don't even count out 20 drops, i just squirt a bit, then dilute further if i need to.

my signature is usually illegible
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
chocolate craving is definitely a sign of magnesium deficiency (though chocolate does have other benefits as well). have you tried raw cacao nibs instead? it's a little more pure without additives so you'd be able to determine if it is the chocolate (cacao) or the other things in your usual chocolate bar to which you/dc is reacting.

i'd also like to point out that one's magnesium levels PLUNGE at the onset of intestinal infection. i found a reference some time ago (August? September?) but can't find it now. but it happened again for me...

Sunday night I had serious signs of mag deficiency - so bad I thought AF was coming on (2 weeks too early) -- restless legs and mild abdominal cramping. Took 2 tsps of mag citrate in tea after dinner. No sign of hitting mag limit.

Monday, I felt RAGE like I've never ever felt before (I am pretty mellow and don't get disturbed too easily, so when i was thinking that i would like to shatter something with glass... well, that kinda freaked me out... thought it was a chemical reaction) -- again thought AF was approaching too early. Ate chocolate (which I haven't actually eaten in quite some time). Had more mag citrate in tea with dinner.

Tuesday, a few bouts of diarrhea and megacramping, signs that AF was NOT approaching but that I was battling a bug. DOH - should have been supplementing with sodium ascorbate!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Apparently sugar ingestion (even natural sweeteners) also messes with magnesium levels, at least in some people. About a month ago I made some chocolate cookie dough with 6 T. of Rapadura and at it before bed...then I woke up at 1:30 am with leg cramps and a racing heart. (This was after a month of being completely sweetener-free except for stevia.) I got up and took a tsp. of magnesium citrate and the racing heart subsided almost immediately. The day before yesterday after another sweetener-free month I ate a bunch of Oreos (well, organic wheat and dairy free Newman-o's)...this time I was smarter (I guess that's debatable since I did eat the Oreos in the first place!) and took a tsp of mag citrate instead of my usual 1/2 tsp before bed. I woke up at 2:30 am and couldn't go back to sleep, but no leg cramps or racing heart this time. I normally get diarrhea from 1 tsp. of mag citrate so I know my body was using the extra due to the sugar intake...now if I could just figure out how to avoid the insomnia caused by the sugar! (Or maybe I should take it as a sign that sugar is evil and avoid it altogether)

I must not be terribly magnesium deficient since I can only handle about 200 supplemental mg a day. I've never craved chocolate, either, and that might be why.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 PM

I found those trace minerals at vitacost.com for a little over $14 for all of you who were looking for the best deal

Old 02-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Found this chocolate. It's good for you!! I don't know how it tastes though, but it looks yummy!

User Tag List