Healing the Gut Tribe-February - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 251 Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufugirl View Post
I posted this under "Breastfeeding Challenges", but thought I might find help here as well....maybe someone here has experienced something similiar:

DD (Grace) is 3 weeks old today, and since my milk came in (on day 2) she has had explosive stools, just once, sometimes twice a day. They are huge, and yellow in color. Originally they were VERY watery, but have thickened a little, but are still liquid and foamy, but bright to dark yellow in color. (Urine output is abundant.)

That first week, I thought maybe her stools were the result of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and sto would feed her on the same breast until it felt empty, ilo switching each feeding. It didn't seem to make a difference, except that my supply has diminished so much that she is now on my breast constantly. I don't mind that so much....I know she is trying to bring my supply back up....but her stooling pattern has me concerned.....(At her 10 day check up she had already nearly regained her b/w.

Also, I am taking her for a weight check tomorrow morning at her peds office....while I know this info will be very valuable, I am really nervous they will push me to supplement, and if she isn't gaining appropriately I worry that I would jump the gun and do just that.

Anybody else seen this stool pattern....could it be something in my diet? Or maybe I just don't produce much higher fat milk at all regardless of how I feed her/switch breasts?

~jo
& Grace, 3 weeks today!
I guess I'm confused...what is it about her stools that you think is abnormal? In my experience, hindmilk/foremilk inbalance causes green stools (bright yellow is very normal).

Do you really feel that your supply has diminished or is she going through the normal growth spurt for this age?

They shouldn't be pushing you to supplement at only 3 weeks as it sounds like her weight gain has had a very normal pattern.
#242 of 251 Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufugirl View Post
I posted this under "Breastfeeding Challenges", but thought I might find help here as well....maybe someone here has experienced something similiar:

DD (Grace) is 3 weeks old today, and since my milk came in (on day 2) she has had explosive stools, just once, sometimes twice a day. They are huge, and yellow in color. Originally they were VERY watery, but have thickened a little, but are still liquid and foamy, but bright to dark yellow in color. (Urine output is abundant.)

That first week, I thought maybe her stools were the result of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and sto would feed her on the same breast until it felt empty, ilo switching each feeding. It didn't seem to make a difference, except that my supply has diminished so much that she is now on my breast constantly. I don't mind that so much....I know she is trying to bring my supply back up....but her stooling pattern has me concerned.....(At her 10 day check up she had already nearly regained her b/w.

Also, I am taking her for a weight check tomorrow morning at her peds office....while I know this info will be very valuable, I am really nervous they will push me to supplement, and if she isn't gaining appropriately I worry that I would jump the gun and do just that.

Anybody else seen this stool pattern....could it be something in my diet? Or maybe I just don't produce much higher fat milk at all regardless of how I feed her/switch breasts?

~jo
& Grace, 3 weeks today!
What is it that concerns you about her stools? BF babies' stools are supposed to be watery and mustard-colored. I think the explosiveness is normal as well. Do her stools smell somewhat sweet like yogurt?

Keep in mind that weight gains "norms" are based on formula-fed babies, not BF babies, so even if your DD is growing a bit slower than the growth charts, it's okay. Since she's was nearly back at her birth weight 10 days ago, she's probably fine. Also, how long has she been nursing constantly? Babies go through a growth spurt at about 3 weeks of age, and constant nursing doesn't mean that your supply has gone down unless it's been going on for longer than a few days and your baby seems unsatisfied after her feedings.
#243 of 251 Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm not really hearing anything concerning about your post, mama. Your baby sounds wonderfully perfect...and what you are describing does not seem to be a result of an imbalance. Those issues are usually indicated by green stool that is watery or mucusy. Bright yellow is exactly the color you are looking for!
#244 of 251 Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier and have been reading some post but I am really confused?
can anyone tell me where a beginner can go to start learning about leaky gut and gut issues,
Jumping in the middle of this is leaving me :

Thanks!! :
#245 of 251 Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsmyworld View Post
Hi everyone,

I posted earlier and have been reading some post but I am really confused?
can anyone tell me where a beginner can go to start learning about leaky gut and gut issues,
Jumping in the middle of this is leaving me :

Thanks!! :
Check out the cheat sheet stickied at the top of the forum...and then come join us on the March thread
#246 of 251 Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 PM

Jo,

Is she miserable? Crying all the time?

You sound just like me. I thought I had fore/hind imbalance, not wanting to think about allergies, but after eight months of a miserable baby, I went for it and am now on the Total Elimination Diet and baby is SO much happier.

Check out the TED or just give up a few very allergic foods -- ALL dairy, wheat, corn, soy, etc.

Good luck. It's really hard, but Grace will be so much more comfortable.

- paula
#247 of 251 Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM

crazycat: I am new to this forum and admit have not read all replies, so sorry if I duplicate suggestions already made: difficult delivery, infant in distress, asthma, screaming, objects to many foods.......sounds like he has a visceral strain (duodenum, diaphragm, kidneys, possibly umbilical)or cranial strain ( patterns locked up in baby's body from trauma around birth often on a cellular level: need advanced trained D.O. or other cranial-sacral pediatric expert to treat, but responds readily to treatment). Just a visceral strain of the duodenum can cause irritable bowel, asthma and (in adults) ulcers, due to the lack of synchronization of the emptying of the stomach and the bile from the gall bladder to neutralize stomach acids.
Another possibility is pediatric migraines, something I just learned about from a mother whose daughter had many diagnoses for abdominal pain before properly diagnosed.
My son screamed or was in tears from dairy protein allergies within 15 minutes of eating dairy products and when constipated.
My brother screamed after eating for the first 2 years....found out years later during an appendectomy that he was missing the ascending colon, appendix was up by his liver.
My stepdaughter had abdomenal pain every time after drinking milk, a sign of lactose intollerance (lactose undigested acts as an irritant to the gut). She also had the dairy protein allergy causing ear infections and suppressing the immune system, and is now deaf (with the help of a dumb doctor who forgot to look in her ears and misdiagnosed scarlet fever rash). Because of her, when my son started having ear infections, we stopped all dairy. Had to remove the last trace of dairy in his diet (he now reads all labels) to keep him healthy. The amount of dairy in a vitamin can make him sick. He can eat anything else without a problem. he is not deaf, though he does have a learning disability from not hearing well from 2 to 3 1/2, when children normally learn coding (social language integration, etc).
Try removing every trace of dairy from your son's diet, bringing dairy free frozen deserts for your son to events. If he learns to deal with it now to feel good, he will know to do it for himself later. It is worth the hassle.
Is your son hypoglycemic? Carbohydrates digest within 2 hours, and breast milk does not last much longer, so he could be waking up when he gets hungry.
#248 of 251 Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM

APmomma: Augmentum -a-go-go? Ask your doctors if it goes through breast milk. If so, when you are treated, your baby is getting dosed too, and the symptoms sound like side effects to antibiotics: digestive fauna is distroyed and needs to be re-built, while candida no longer has to compete and overgrows, food does not digest well, often leading to abdominal pain.
#249 of 251 Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'll be joining your group if you don't mind. I have a two year old daughter who has been gluten free casein free for several months. Recently, after extensive testing, we discoverd she has multiple food intolerances, lots of yeast, and bad bacteria. This explains her very picky eating habits and her always congested nose. She barely takes three bites of anything other than maybe shrimp or a banana. It's difficult to feed her and now it's going to be interesting because her food allergy blood test showed she reacted to pineapple and eggs the most (two things she loves!), and she also has antibodies for broccoli, tomato, citrus fruits, dairy, cabbage, and surprising to my doctor is that DD is also reacting to sweet potatoes (the very first food I ever gave DD), red potatoes, and white potatoes. In total she had 24 IgG sensitivity reactions. It feels like a long list but perhaps this isn't so unsual a list for those with a leaky guy..? Strangely enough DD is not reacting to corn, soy, or nuts which are common allergens so I'm allowed to let her have her favorite nuts and her corn on the cob.

Our naturopathic doctor wants to do the three prong approach of healing the gut, colonizing it with good bacteria, and killing the yeast. I'm all for it. I've been given recommendations for several probiotics.

Has anyone used Primal Defense Ultra from Garden of Life? Or Therbiotic Factor 4? Or Gastromune AI hypoallergenic caps from Kirkman's?

We're also going to give enzymes but I have to find one that doesn't have bromelain since DD reacted strongly to pineapple. I think Houston Nutrceuticals has the AFP Peptizyde which doesn't have bromelain. I've been taking their Zyme Prime for a while now and I feel so much better. I'm pretty sure that I must have some undiagnosed issues with food as well. I'll pursue that when I have some more time and money.

Our doctor, a naturopath, is planning to give Nystatin and alternate it with Uva Ursi. The test results showed DD's yeast is sensitive to both. I'm not looking forward to the yeast die-off reaction but at least if there's a die-off reaction it means the treatment is working, right?

I've been lurking here, reading the old Healing the Gut tribe threads that JaneS started, as well as reading MT's nutrition thread. Wow! There's such a wealth of information here. I'm not glad that I need to be here but I am glad there is such a place on MDC.

Ok..now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#250 of 251 Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM

oh my god. i haven't been online in forever, and somehow i am right there with you on the phenols.

i haven't caught up on the thread, but i am just starting on the phenols. dds and i all had a major red cheek reaction at the children's museum after markers. one dd was sniffing the damn things--scentedl the teacher had shown her. could this be phenols? am i in so much denial? (and was it perhaps the one slice of dried mango i offered before? do i need to pay 69 for feingold access?)

i finally made delicious gf scones, but the girls reacted to the tapioca or arrowroot. i hold out hope it was the tapioca and an all arrowroot version is also satisfactory. Or maybe it's the xantham gum. Is this now illegal? Finally something delicious, and my stomach got all bubbly.

I'm so glad I got online.

Does anyone use the probiotic drink from body ecology? Or have a bad reaction? Not sure about our probiotic. I'm still nursing them (had my amalgams removed and all--gasp!) and taking the one that made them stimmy last time. Waited til a Friday night to soften the blow.

Pour your wisdom upon me. Glad you're still here (in a way)--. Now to catch up.

mehera
mom to nico and lena 3.3 years old and nursing, and hoping 11 week sadie jo is born free
#251 of 251 Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM

Ok... bumping this up to see if a May, June, or July thread was ever started. And if not, if there is any interest! I could use the support as I seek to get my little one back to an allergen-free baseline and work on healing his tummy.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page