night relief for persistent dry cough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any suggestions for helping my 3-yo sleep at night? She's had a persistent dry cough for a couple of weeks. Not sure if it is environmental/allergies or viral. She's just quite unhappy at night and has some fits during the day. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm keeping an eye out on this thread, ds has been going thru the same thing. Seems to be mainly late at night and early morning..almost a choking cough..not loose at all. We went to the pedi and he gave us some decongestant/cough meds..doesn't help! He ran a high fever (103)the week before this started. Hoping someone else will have a reply!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM

boild a choped onion in 1/4 cup water, let it set for about 1 hours. strain it, mix it with honey and give it to your child any time for cough.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:03 PM

OMG, Kenziesmom, my dd had that exact same thing. I thought she had whooping cough! Turns out the coughing slowly decreased in intensity and frequency. But it was mainly at night...which totally freaked me out. She was a mess during the day from lack of sleep. She's been much better now for a few days. Last night she had a coughing jag again for about 2 hours but then settled down. i was back to freaking out then but she is fine and happy now. don't know what it was or is? very strange as I don't remember anything like this growing up.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Regards coughs
What ever you do,please do NOT suppress a Cough,best thing is to expell it.
Some essential oils can help,eucal,rosemary a few drops in a pot of boiling hot steam,close the door. Let the child inhale all night............helps rid the viral/bacterial properties.
See a trained homeopath for more specifics on coughs,many many remedies avail. not one remedy for ALL types of coughs.(if the cough becomes chronic its too difficult to diagnose it yourself)
see link; www.homeopathic.com
articles; coughs
It really helps to have on hand a emergency homeopathic kit and a good easy to understand book on beginners homeopathics. (you can find at link)
Tyler
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 AM

If it is environmental allergy related (which is what persistant dry cough is in our case) you might look into dust mites. I got a dust mite protector for his bed, wash and dry all his bedding in hot weekly (including stuffed lovies), got rid of dust in the room, and I'm putting a hepa filter in my son's room. If it persists I'd think about treating it as asthma or checking into that.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 AM

Well....I'm not the smartest person in the world, but DS had a dry cough a couple of weeks ago and I ran a cool mist humidfier day and night and it caused the junk in his lungs to come up and he was able to get it out. He was totally better within 4 days total and it helped him sleep. Just a thought. Hope your little one feels better soon.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
boild a choped onion in 1/4 cup water, let it set for about 1 hours. strain it, mix it with honey and give it to your child any time for cough.
thank you, this worked wonderfully! i knew that onion was a decongestent, but i kept trying to give it to her raw (with honey) and gave up over a year ago it didn't occur to me to boil it first.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, mamas! My Indian friends all swear by homeopathy. I just need to get out and source the remedies here.

On the onion, how much do you give at a time?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 AM

Doesn't matter how often or how much. You can do little sips or by the teaspoon.

I would give 1 teaspoon every time dc coughs.

Actually that's how we do the SA, too. Every time my 3 yr. old grandson coughed, he took a sip of his sippy cup which contained juice diluted, 1 teaspoon of SA, 2 drops of GSE, and 4 drops of echinacea liquid. (He helped me prepare it.)

He took it during the night for 2 nights because he was coughing quite a bit.

But my grandchildren get over everything very quickly. Maybe because I always bring out the "big guns" when one get just a little sick. (We call our healing potions "the big guns". LOL)
Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Homeopathy is the medicine of the future as medicine was meant to be practiced "FIRST DO NO HARM" (conventional -allopathic medicine has NEVER followed this mantra)
In India and Europe Homeopathy is well known by 90% of the population. Here in the USA sadly its being suppressed as it actually does cure illness.Big pharma is not happy with these wonderfull homeopathic cured cases.
www.homeopathic.org(directory of homeopaths,schools,articles on flu+homeopathy)
www.homeopathic.com (easy to understand,great articles,supplies,books for self help)
www.homeoint.org (a bit complicated for expierenced homeopaths)

TYLER

User Tag List