sick baby...help from doctor avoiding mothers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright I've hot steamed him in the bathroom and I've got a humidifier running with eucalyptus.

I've got water boiling for an echinechia tea bag. How shuld I give it to him I was ust going to make a cup of tea and give it to him dispersed through a 24 hr period. Does that sound right?

I was going to do the same with an adult 1/2 packet of EmergenC.

I'm going to chop some onions now. I heard something about garlic too Anyone know?

Davids mom, please post that recipe. It's funny, while I was out I picked up a jar of dry mustard and talked myself out of buying it because I didn't know what to use it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

He does sound better. After the steamy shower he took a nap. He was breathing comfortably and not noisy like earlier today. When he woke up he was still breathing clear but still has that mucusy unproductive cough. I hope some of these ideas help clear his chest. Por little guy, hope he feels better soon. Thanks again ladies. You ALL are great.
#33 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:31 PM

I think you'll need more than 1/2 pack of EmergenC... but it is individual. I can only go by what works for DS. I just think that you'll need more. Well, your guy is still a baby, too.

For example, I take 2 pks at a time a few times a day when I'm fighting something off. One a day doesn't cut it. DS gets about 3 single pks a day of those, or about 2-3 tsp of straight SA. Just to give you a frame of reference... This is when we're feeling sick.

Go by the stools. That's the way to know his dose.

So glad he's feeling a little better.
#34 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

aira, when yoy say 3 pks a day are you talking about the adult one? My ds is about 20 lbs, so maybe start with 1 and a half or 2?
#35 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Well, I'd just make one and let him sip. I'm guessing he's using a sippy - I don't really know... But when I said my guy gets 3 pks, I meant in a whole day - not at a time.

The EmergenC fizzes (straight SA does not), so I don't think it's a good idea to force that stuff in any amount. Unless it's just totally fizzed out, I guess. I find it very filling though, so I like to let DS regulate how fast he takes it in.

If your guy is not using a sippy, can you give him some in a bottle? All fizzed out, I mean?

If he takes that, make another later on? Get up to what gives him runny stools, then back down a bit. That's the only way to know what amount he needs.
#36 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

He doesn't use a sippy. I was just going to make some and use a dropper and give him sips.

I was also going to do that with the echinacha tea. Sound right?
#37 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 PM

I think that'll work. Just let him set the pace of taking it in. IMO it's really filling! Regular SA isn't really.

I had to EP for DS, so I "had it easy" when it came to giving suppliments. He was already using a bottle. : I just added in whatever.
#38 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

My boy is using a bottle too. I gues I could use that, but by itself not mixed with the formula right? I sound really dumb, I just don't want to make a mistake.
#39 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks aira, you've been really helpful.
#40 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow View Post
My boy is using a bottle too. I gues I could use that, but by itself not mixed with the formula right? I sound really dumb, I just don't want to make a mistake.
Yeah, I think it would be super-yucky in milk!

Just in plain water should be tasty, depending on the flavor... I don't like the strawberry one at all, but my best friend is in love with it. I go for the lemon-lime, myself.

It's my pleasure to help. (That is, if all my yapping is actually helpful... )
#41 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!! What a differance ... baby's breathing is completely clear and I only heard one little tiny cough this morning. This is amazing!

MOre than that, I don't know if it was the echinachea or the EmergenC, but he looks so vibrant, there's a sparkle in his eye and he looks so healthy! I am so happy to see him looking so good, every time I look at him I have to kiss him.

Thank you mamas! Last time he had these same symptoms, I took him top the doctor and they prescribed albutoral in a neb. It took him almost a week to start getting better. This time he was almost 100% better within 48 hours!

For anyone reading with the same situation, here's what I did.

hot steamy shower
eucalyptus rub
eucalyptus EO in a humidifier
echinachea tea with EmergenC dispersed throughout the day.

I had planned to do the onion poultice for his chest congestion, but he got better before I did it.

Should I continue with the echinachea and emergenC or let it go now that he's better?
#42 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM

just saw this thread and I'm glad your little guy is doing better Vitamin C is amazing - when the body is fighting off an infection, it needs way more than the RDA amount. I encourage you to wade through the thread on sodium ascorbate that used to be here but now got moved to health and healing - it's HUGE but a great resource and will help you understand what's going on.

re: still using emergenC, etc. If it were me, I'd still give your guy a bit more vit C than usual for a few days to make sure he completely recovers. Others may have other opinons.
#43 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatz View Post
re: still using emergenC, etc. If it were me, I'd still give your guy a bit more vit C than usual for a few days to make sure he completely recovers. Others may have other opinons.
I agree.
#44 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

Hello
just saw your post
I'm a big believer in using herbs/homeopathy and all holistic therapies on the entire family.
When there is flu/colds/coughing= echin/goldenseal mix-every hour till it subsides
loosen up mucous= you already know this- eucal essential oils a few drops in a pot of boiling water,let the steam surround the room inhale deeply. Can make a mix to rub on sinus,chest area (few drops mixed in a carrier oil base like hempoil 2 oz)
reflexology can be used for instant results,pressing down on the indicator triggers with various aromatheraphy oils. Example; the toes are related to the head,sinus,ears,eyes,mouth. the ball of the foot is the lung area...........etc.
Vit. C hourly when you have colds/flu/coughs
Garlic oil=ear inf (drop in the ear)
Lavender essential oil to help calm and sleep (place a few drops on the pillow) Works even with adults.
more info like this; www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
www.healthy.net
Stay away from allopathic prescription meds .

TYLER
#45 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Super! I just saw this thread. Sorry I did not post sooner but seems everything is going great now.

MMR = diabestes type I - that is so sad.

I am so sorry for your dc. There are ways to help him also with his diabetes. Some moms here have experience with that.

Here is what I would have posted if I would have seen your thread sooner.

Hope you find some help in dealing with the diabetes.
#46 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
MMR = diabestes type I - that is so sad.

There are ways to help him also with his diabetes. Some moms here have experience with that.
Please ... who and where?
#47 of 47 Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow View Post
Please ... who and where?
You may want to start a new thread to see if someone has information for you.

Here is one site I've kept in my favorite for some reason. I did not read it before posting it just now.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/diabetes.html

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/diabetes.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page