sick baby...help from doctor avoiding mothers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Perhaps I should have posted in another forum, but I am not looking for reasons I should take my babe to the doctor. Many of the problems he is having now are due to doctor's ignorance/negligence.

My unvaxed, 9 mo old ds is sick. he is extremely mucousy and wheezing. I was not able to continue breastfeding past 8 mo due to needing to care for my hospitalized 8 yr. old. The extended seperations proved to be too much for this breastfeding challenged, low supply mama. Can I just say that I HATE type 1 diabetes?: MMR: thanks

Anyway, I am new to this natural medicine thing and still raw from psychological trauma resulting from my last two hospital stays (birth of ds, and stay with my 8 yr old.) I NEED to treat him at home. I don't want to give him the albuteral unless i have too.

Here is what I have:
humidifier
hot shower
eucalyptus rub
eucalyptus oil
rescue remedy
colloidal silver
horehound drops (can't find but looking "around here somewhere")
calcium ascorbate

The first four items on the list I am familiar with, but the other stuff I am not sure how to use or how much.

My hubby gets home soon and I can make a run to the healthstore if anyone can think of anything else I need.

TIA! Please be specific and talk down to me as if I know nothing, I won't get offended I am REALLY new to this.

I will try not to sit on top of the computer, but I really need help.

Wendy
#2 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Do I read correctly that you've only had him weaned for a month? If so- I would seriously try to relactate. Even a little milk goes a long way.

That said, I would add sodium ascorbate to your list. Vitamin C. That type comes as a powder and is easy to mix in water or whatever else he's drinking.

good luck!

-Angela
#3 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM

Hi Wendy... my babies improved tremendously this past winter when they had colds and I took them off of all dairy! Just long enough for them to recover from their colds...

Sorry I'm not more help.
#4 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you alegna ...Relactate? Are you serious?: Could you elaborate please?

I actually went to buy the sodium ascorbate. I went to three places all they had was the calcium ascorbate, so I finally got that. Will it work?
#5 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post
Hi Wendy... my babies improved tremendously this past winter when they had colds and I took them off of all dairy! Just long enough for them to recover from their colds...

Sorry I'm not more help.
Thank you i was actually considering trying that but the only "dairy" he is on is his organic formula (oxymoron, I know).
#6 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow View Post
Relactate? Are you serious?: Could you elaborate please?
Absolutely serious How long ago did he stop nursing? How was your supply then? How often did he nurse?

If you stimulate your supply, it will come back. If you put the babe to the breast and get him to nurse and/or if you pump your milk will come back to some degree. Possibly completely.

-Angela
#7 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I actually went to buy the sodium ascorbate. I went to three places all they had was the calcium ascorbate, so I finally got that. Will it work?
It will work if it's all you've got. Get online and find some sodium ascorbate for next time.

-Angela
#8 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes sodium ascorbate.

We also use something with Yin Chao called "Liquid Herbal Welness" alcohol-free version.

DS has very good luck with real homeopathy, but not the otc dosages.

For relactating, try More Milk Plus tincture from www.motherlove.com You will get your milk back fairly quick. For extra zip, take fenugreek as well.

Get EmergenC for now. It's everywhere. And order http://store.allhealthtrends.com/pgi...te,2,157,=,SAP

Aside from breastmilk, Sodium Ascorbate is the single biggest thing to help a body through this.
#9 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you alegna ...Relactate? Are you serious?: Could you elaborate please?

You can try searching here (if you find a store call first)
http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?cat_id=190

Or order online.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM

I second the SA. You can get it here: www.bronsonlaboratories.com

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#11 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Lobelia can help with wheezing due to inflammation of the upper respiratory tract. I've used it many times with my son with great success. Please do your own research for dosage, etc. I'm not that knowledgeable in this area, I just know what I've used for my son based on recommendations from my chiropractor.

As far as mucous goes, fenugreek & thyme can help thin that out. Again, you'll have to do your own research for dosages.
#12 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
More on relactation at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
It is absolutely possible and well worth trying.
#13 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post

Sorry I'm not more help.
We've had success with this too.

Eliminating dairy when congested and giving Slippery Elm (herb rec'd by my midwife) 3 times per day is what I have done this winter for my 20 mo old. Its worked well. I also do warm to hot showers each day (or several times per day) with babe as the mucous just pours out of his nose.

I dont know if Slippery Elm is safe for a babe of nine months, although the MW did recomend it for me, I'm 24 weeks pregnant.

Good luck.
#14 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I have always done well with alcohol-free echinacea.. Herbs for Kids brand liquid is a common product but any will do (even the tinctures w/alcohol are OK, really) follow the dosing on the bottle

You might try a nursing aid like the Lact-Aid , or SNS (?? I think) which attatches a flexible tube to nipple so baby nurses on nipple to stimulate your milk production while formula is coming in thru the tube.. it keeps them at the breast longer and helps reestablish milk.. then you phase out the formula in the pouch as your supply builds.. I know a mom who was able to at least partially BF her twins born by a gestational carrier (ie the mom was never actually PG), as well as a mom who produced about 40% BM for her adopted baby.. these products can really work, if used correctly

this *might* be OT and maybe some might flag me for this being a "drug" but to move really stubborn congestion that has not moved with the above measures I have used guaifenesen (sp?) brand name mucinex with good success .(it is actually in a few healthfood store brand herbal cough products) use your own judgement though.. just passing on my experience (it is the only OTC drug I will use)

also, never underestimate the power of a good chiropractic adjustment or osteopathic manipulation.. really

good luck
#15 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM

#16 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM

#17 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM

for the record, I noticed you are in MD, I know a fantastic alternative/ complimentary ped in MD : Debbie McCabe, MD , if you are interested or ever "need" one.. she is amazing and "in line" with what it sounds like your beliefs are.. PM me for # or google her if oyu want, she ahs two offices, one in Ocean City MD and one on the eastern shore somewhere
#18 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I was excited to get such quick replies and then my power went out.

So now it's back on and I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to reply, and for all of the links concerning relactation. I am definately going to look into that. I am not happy that we are not still nursing. I still cry sometimes.

Thanks again everyone.
#19 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
It will work if it's all you've got. Get online and find some sodium ascorbate for next time.

-Angela

Okay ... what do I do with it?
#20 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM

It's a powder you can dissolve into whatever baby drinks. I use whatever DS will not reject due to taste (usually 1/4 tsp or less), and as often as what gives him slightly runny stools. Then back off a little and that's the dose...

Others just use a dropper and dose that way so baby can't reject.

When we travel, we all drink EmergenC and I've used that in a pinch for DS too since he was drinking from a cup. I think he was somewhere between 9-12 mo...
#21 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Okay ... what do I do with it?
Mix some in a little water or juice. Dose is on the bottle, but tweak it. You'll know you've got enough when it starts coming out the other end

-Angela
#22 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM

You see it as EmergenC in the stores. Even Target sells it now! They sell one for kids that is 500 mg of Vit C, otherwise you can get the adult formulas that are 1000 mg per dose. They come in little packs of powder that you mix with water. With my youngest, She is 2.5yrs, I give her a sippy(6 oz water) with 1/2 an adult pack and she sips it for the day. I find that if I give her any more she gets a nasty red bottom. You can play with the doses but start with small amounts for a little one that young.

EmergenC comes in all different flavors and remember if you are nursing then you can help yourself to a couple a day and help your babe out that way too. Its also nice to have around for a little non-caffiene boost during the day!
#23 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Absolutely serious How long ago did he stop nursing? How was your supply then? How often did he nurse?

If you stimulate your supply, it will come back. If you put the babe to the breast and get him to nurse and/or if you pump your milk will come back to some degree. Possibly completely.

-Angela
I had a ddifficult time nursing him. One of the reasons the seperation was like a nail in the coffin for our nursing relationship.

I plan on looking through some of these links and possibly starting a new thread. I guess I should probably post it in breastfeeding.
#24 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I have some emergenC stuff from last time my daughter was sick. I'll use that so maybe I can return my unopened bottle of calcium ascorbate and buy some SA online.

Any ideas what i can do to loosen up the chest congestion?

How do I make saline solution. Is there a specific salt to water ratio?

The hat idea ... I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Fenugreek and thyme ... this is where i get confused. What dio I do with them. I have some fenugrek capsules, and thyme in my pantry that I use for cooking.

Someone said echinacea ... as in tea?

Talk down people.
#25 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Does the same standard for Calcium Ascorbate (coming out the other end) apply for the EmergenC as well?
#26 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
A classic old remedy for chest congestion is an onion poultice. Might be hard to use on a baby. Anyway, you chop up the onions, steam them until they are fairly soft, lay them on the skin and cover with a soft cloth. For a baby I'd be inclined to wrap the onion in a cloth and put the warm wrap against the baby under a little shirt or something like that to hold it in place.

You can also use a car seat so baby can sleep propped up, which can make it easier to breath. Lots and lots of steam helps, perhaps with eucalyptus wafting about.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well.
#27 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorteep View Post
for the record, I noticed you are in MD, I know a fantastic alternative/ complimentary ped in MD : Debbie McCabe, MD , if you are interested or ever "need" one.. she is amazing and "in line" with what it sounds like your beliefs are.. PM me for # or google her if oyu want, she ahs two offices, one in Ocean City MD and one on the eastern shore somewhere
I *wish* I could, but I live in Westminster a good 3 hours from Ocean City. But I will PM you for her info anyway because we vacation there every summer and you never know what could happen.
#28 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Any ideas what i can do to loosen up the chest congestion?

Fenugreek and thyme ... this is where i get confused. What dio I do with them. I have some fenugrek capsules, and thyme in my pantry that I use for cooking.
Chest congestion- steam. Humidifier. hot shower steamed up bathroom.

Fenugreek for you to increase milk supply... not sure who suggested thyme (maybe for the baby)... you don't eat it- it will reduce supply.

good luck!

-Angela
#29 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM

I used a mustard wrap for my daughter when she had a cough that would not leave (2 months of deep thick cough that my doc kept telling me to "just neb her when you need to..."). Between that and some specific homeopathic's it was gone in 2 days!!!!

The mustard wrap was dried mustard mixed with flour and water to make a paste. I put a small amount of barrier on her chest like vaseline, aquaphor or something natural that does the same. then you take a old tshirt and make a sandwich of cloth, paste, cloth. place that on the childs chest and leave it there for 5-15 minutes. The most I left it on was 5 minutes.

I dont remember the ratio of flour and mustard. I know it was very little mustard to mostly flour. If you want it, let me know and I can dig it out. I got the recipe from my naturopath. DD was only 12 months shen I used it.

Anyone else have any luck with this?
#30 of 47 Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Davidsmama, please post the recipe if you have it... I have very frequent issues with chest congestion myself, and I'd love to know how that works!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page