"Z-Pack" antibiotic ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well as I have been not feeling well for almost two months now my mom finally persuaded me to see a doctor.

So I spent 3 hours waiting to see her. Tell her I have had cold/flu symptoms for almost two months and that right now I have so much drainage running down my throat constantly that I feel like I am choking on it. My chest hurts too.

She checked me for mono, and I do not have that.

Then prescribed allegra and a z-pack. Said if the antibiotics don't make me feel better in five days then to get a full checkup and bloodwork to then see what could be ailing me.

Why not check it now? Why is antibiotics always the cure-all?

So should I take them or not? I don't really want to but I don't really want to feel like crap forever either.

I've been doing sodium ascorbate, CLO, and Kefir for the last two weeks, ftr. Should I give that regiment longer? Is this horrid drainage and chest pain signs of me getting better or is it me getting worse?

UGHH.

I wish doctors were actually wise.

So what do you know about this antibiotic? Could it actually be helpful in my case?
#2 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 03:17 AM

I was given Z-pack for, um. . .: an STD. I didn't have any negative side effects, and most other antibiotics make me throw up. I think it is pretty heavy duty stuff, though, to be a "first responder", if you are not contraindicated for something milder? Ok, I'll let someone that knows what they are talking about have a turn now.
#3 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 04:22 AM

I've taken the Z-pack a lot of times in my life (10ish). Always for sinus crap. It works GREAT for me. I know there are a lot of anti-med people on here too, so maybe they can offer some other things if you're not comfortable with it. But for me, it works, and if I'm sick, it's one of the things I ask for. Clears me up every time.
#4 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I took zpacks twice and I LOVED them. Both times I had a lingering illness, and that zpack got me better right away. The first time I was sicker than I had ever been in my life, having caught a horrible infection in the hospital. 48 hours on the zpack and I was almost completely healed.

I would not use them for just any old thing,but for a lingering illness that does not respond to other treatments, they rock. I hope you feel better soon!
#5 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 AM

I thought there was a warning on the z-pack, but don't quote me as I am not sure. But maybe worth looking into.
#6 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to health and healing

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#7 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 PM

I do everything I can to avoid antibiotics, but I think there can be a time when they are helpful. A few years ago I put them off until I was to the point of coughing up blood. So I got the Z-Pack, and it cleared right up with no ill effects.
If this has been going on for so long and no other remedies seem to help, the antibiotics might be a good idea for you. I don't think antibiotics are really a bad thing. I think it's the overuse and misuse of them that is bad.
Just make sure you are taking probiotics while you are on the antibiotics.
Hope you feel better no matter what you decide. But if you are deadset against them, go back to the doctor and insist on the bloodwork first. Do what you think is in your best interest.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#8 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are warnings on ALL meds, whether truly warranted or not.

If you're having pain in your chest with all that congestion, the doc is probably thinking you've got some form of pneumonia, and/or sinus infection. Did she listen to your lungs?

I've had good experience with Zithromax (aka Z-pack) and with the other antibiotic a doc prescribed last time I had crossed over into pneumonialand. But I've also learned what scent/taste is associated with that crossover into infection rather than just congestion and can inform my docs of that. I give myself a couple of days when I start smelling/tasting that to see if I fight it off or not, then seek help.

"What will you do once you know?"
#9 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 03:52 PM

I just recently finished a Z-pack, no side effects. If you've been sick for that long and tried all the vitamins and healthy stuff with no luck, I would go ahead and take it. I had symptoms similar to yours for about 2 months as well. I took Wellness Defense, Vit C, Astragulas, Zinc, CLO, Probiotics, nothing helped. I was absolutely miserable but I really hate taking Rx so I kept saying to myself it was viral and that I would get better soon. I didn't. 24 hours after Allegra and Z -pack I felt like a normal person again. I would suggest just taking 1/2 Allegra, just one time though to see how it makes you feel. It made me really jittery and unable to sleep.
Also, I would take a probiotic or eat lots of yogurt while on any antibiotics to help guard against getting a yeast infection.
#10 of 14 Old 02-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
Just make sure you are taking probiotics while you are on the antibiotics.
I just wanted to second this. The one time I took zithromax was the last abx I took before coming down with clostridium difficile (nasty, abx-resistant gut-infection). It didn't follow right on the heels of the zithromax, but I think the z. wiped out my gut flora pretty thoroughly and left me vulnerable.
#11 of 14 Old 02-25-2007, 01:49 PM

I was prescribed a z-pack 3 years ago when I was preggo with ds2. Ds1 was in daycare and had been getting everything under the sun and passed it along to me. At the time, I was living in a part of the country known for it's high allergy and sinus infection incidence. Anyways, after 2 weeks of suffering and nothing helping, I finally broke down and asked my ob for something. In two days I could breathe through my nose and was able to finally sleep at night. Like pp's said, if nothing has been working then I think now is the time to take the abx! Get yourself healthy!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#12 of 14 Old 02-25-2007, 01:54 PM

It was worth some diarrhea to me personally to finally lose that pneumonia- I couldn't do anything for weeks. Kefir. Lots of kefir.
#13 of 14 Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM

Are you taking C to bowel tolerance?

If not you need to. The sicker you are the more C you need.
#14 of 14 Old 02-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
There are warnings on ALL meds, whether truly warranted or not.
There are warnings on ALL meds because ALL meds are dangerous. Even over the counter medicine kills people every year.

Pharma fights against those warnings. They only put on what they absolutely have to. Just look at drugs that have killed hundreds if not thousands of people and no warning was ever put on the labels.

If you think they put the warnings on just to be on the safe side, you are wrong. They put on warnings because people have had severe side effects. They were made to put those warnings on.

I would take all warnings very seriously.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page