Antibiotic Use and time to heal gut? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2007, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to mothering.com but I am extremely desparate for advice. My dd (6 mos) has had mucousy and bloody stool since she was 8 weeks old. I went on the elimination diet and she definitely has a dairy allergy. There is no blood when not on dairy. However, she has been on antibiotics 3 times (2 ear infections and 1 sinus infection). I really believe that these have wrecked her gut. I take 6 scoops of babylife probiotic but I don't know how to give it to her. They say not to put it directly in their mouths. I tried mixing in some breast milk but it seems most of it sticks to the side of the bottle. Also, how long does it take the gut to heal from the antibiotics? Please help - any advice would be so helpful and unfortunately I cannot search through all the threads - I don't have high speed and my modem connects at 19000 so it is extremely slow.
Thank you so much,
Jenna - mommy to Avery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM

I don't have all of the answers. But my 8 month old dd takes Babylife too. I just mix some breastmilk in a small bowl with the powder and spoon feed her. She loves it that way (she doesn't take a bottle). You could also try to put some in an eye dropper -- my daughter would never go for that. I hope that helps. Good luck with your sweet baby.
#3 of 5 Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Where did you read not to put the pwder directly into the child's mouth?

<>< Alison

#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM

Regarding the probiotics, you can use the syringe which worked well for my babes, but I also have dusted on my nipple and had no problem. I think, what the bottle instruction is trying to say is not to give a glob of powder in their mouth, since it can cause a choking.

Regarding how long to cure the gut, it would be depending of all the other factors like how bad your condition, how well you are digesting your foods that you eat, etc, etc the comparison wouldn't be a fair or accurate one, I don't think. However, if you are breastfeeding, you should take the probiotics yourself. And, I would try to increase the value of your breast milk. Eating more green veg. Switching to organic, especially the veg and fruits contain more nutrients and are better for your digestion. Drink a lot of clean/filtered water. Avoid sugar and refined food, etc, etc.
#5 of 5 Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also use a medicine syringe from the drugstore for probiotics for the baby--mix with water, squirt. Now that he's older, he'll drink it through a straw if I just mix it up in a cup.

I have found chiropractic care and/or cranial-sacral therapy to be amazing at preventing ear infections--sorta off-topic, but I was so impressed.

No idea how long it'll take to see improvement, sorry. Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page