What would cause eczema in a 4-year-old? HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the first time in three years, my four-year-old daughter has an outbreak of eczema. On her legs, of all places! I'm thoroughly confused by this, and all of my attempts to naturally treat this have failed. It's getting worse. I'd appreciate any help!

Here's what I've tried: shea butter topically, various oils (mostly olive and canola, organic) topically, flaxseed oil orally (daily), sodium ascorbate daily. She has no known allergies. She hasn't been vaccinated since she was 12 months old.

A little history: she first developed eczema, on her chest/trunk area, when she was nine months old. I tried everything natural I could get my hands on then, to no avail; tried Elidel (they didn't know better then, and I was desperate); eventually, months later, it just went away. She had an allergy test (the back scratch kind) and came up negative for everything. She has been eczema-free for more than three years now!

Nothing has changed in our diet recently. Could she, at four, develop an allergy/sensitivity to something that she didn't have during her test at the allergist's as a baby? I'm baffled by this, and would appreciate any help!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM

Eczema is not always diet related. My ds's eczema is environment related. His comes out in the winter, when our heat is on and the air gets very dry in our house. I cannot use bubble bath and things like that with him and I have to use a really good, thick mousterizer (we use Eucerin). I have also heard of kids having dust mite allergies (that is what I suspect my ds has since there are more dust mites around in the winter with the heat on), soap and detergent allergies and allergies to certain fabrics (namely wool).

Eczema can also come and go. Many kids completely outgrow it, but it can often disappear for a time, only to come back years later. My dh's cousin had awful eczema when he was a baby and toddler - he was actually hospitalized it was so bad. It had mostly cleared up through the elementary school years, but last year, at age 13, it came back pretty badly. Now he has it under control again.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
Could she, at four, develop an allergy/sensitivity to something that she didn't have during her test at the allergist's as a baby? I'm baffled by this, and would appreciate any help!
Yes, she could. You can develop an allergy at any point and the more you're exposed to something the more likely you are to become allergic.

I agree that eczema isn't always food-allergy related but most of the time it is. The cold/dry weather definitely makes it worse.

I suggest not only applying moisture topically but supplementing with a good fat/oil like Udo's Oil.

Christi

Wife to one Amazing man, Mom to 3 Wonderful children with #4 due in Feb

Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping for more help. I've got an Rx for steroid cream now, and I don't want to have to fill it. But if you could see her legs, you would weep. It's that awful.

We've been trying lanolin most recently, and it's the only thing that helps at all. But basically, it's stopped it from spreading so fast. No reduction in redness.

~Serina~

Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Have you tried probiotics or cod liver oil at all? That might help. What about oatmeal, epson salt, or baking soda baths? I think I like baking soda baths best for my 3 1/2 year old ds whose eczema started up at 2 years old.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 PM

I have been told by several docs now that most kids who are prone to allergies develop environmental allergies around age 4. Food allergies come earlier. I would suspect dust and/or pets this time of year. Also, make sure your laundry detergent is free of dyes and perfumes and skip the fabric softener.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It could be allergy to what you're using for laundry or fibers in her clothing.

Lanolin would take my skin right off, not treat my ezcema, but if it's working for you all...

Could be the very dry air. Make her drink more, limit bathing, use only lukewarm water for bathing/showering, pat dry gently, apply oil to damp skin.

And yes, new allergies can develop at any age. A dermatologist I saw at one point said that ezcema shifts with age: body when we're very young, arms and legs as we get older, to hands when we're adults. Part of the shift has to do with what areas get more exposure. When we're adults, it's our hands in everything.

If you ever get to Great Salt Lake, I found that to be a wonderful place to soak my open weepy elbows and backs of knees. Hurt like a ....., but that was such an improvement over the constant itch, I loved it. The sores even went away for awhile I think.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 03-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Banned

Back up
First time she had eczema at 9 months old. This child was vaccinated i take it starting at 3 months of age? THE ECZEMA IS FROM THE VACCINES!
YOU have suppressed the first bout of eczema with conventional meds this causes a reocurrance with a vengance. It will come back again and again if not properly taken care of. Homeopaths know all about the toxic reactions of vaccines,one of the symptoms is eczema. Make an appt with a trained classical homeopath this is NOT A DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT.
see link for directory of homeopaths.
www.homeopathic.org

TYLER
Old 03-04-2007, 02:26 AM

For 2 of my boys, eczema started around age 3-4. It started on the backs of their knees. It gets irritated in the winter and goes away in the summer.

What works best for us is aquaphor (even though its not popular here lol) and then we only use steriod cream if a spot gets really bad (havent had to use that in ages). We can't use a lot of things due to allergies
Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
I have been told by several docs now that most kids who are prone to allergies develop environmental allergies around age 4. Food allergies come earlier. I would suspect dust and/or pets this time of year. Also, make sure your laundry detergent is free of dyes and perfumes and skip the fabric softener.
I didn't know this, Wendy. Thanks for the information. I suspected dust (I'm newly pregnant and not the best housekeeper right now), but wrote it off after a while, since she never had problems before. I will keep on dusting and mopping (all hardwood floors around here). And washing her bed linens more frequently.

We already use All Free & Clear on clothing, and don't use fabric softener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
Lanolin would take my skin right off, not treat my ezcema, but if it's working for you all...
It really is the only thing that's helped. It's not doing anything drastic, but of all of the oils/lotions/ointments we've tried, lanolin is keeping things nice and moist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertyler
First time she had eczema at 9 months old. This child was vaccinated i take it starting at 3 months of age? THE ECZEMA IS FROM THE VACCINES!
She was carefully and selectively vaccinated from five months of age to 12 months, and monitored for reactions. Is this still a possibility, seeing as how she has been given no more vaccinations since then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina
What works best for us is aquaphor
I've heard this from sooo many folks who struggle with eczema. Even my most "natural" friends have admitted to me that this is the only thing that works sometimes. Thanks for sharing what works for you--I may yet try it! We'll see how the lanolin goes.

~Serina~

Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned

Yes
Certainly think about looking into the vaccine connection. Dont bother asking your ped. they will flat out deny it.
you cannot get eczema from dust on the floor.
ECZEMA is a systemic disease caused by a breakdown in the immune system.
Vaccines cause a quantum jump of mutations to manifest,the chemical toxins want to erradicate themself via a ellimination organ,this would be the skin. Toxins expell via the skin,liver,kidneys,lungs,bowels,urine. Vaccines are Toxins.
Look up miasmatic conditions in google search.
application of lotions/potions/cortizone/steriods will only cause a 'suppression' of the eczema not a cure. in fact it ends up going deeper within the body after these applications.
please read stories on eczema how to heal via alternative meds.
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
searchbox;eczema and vaccines

tyler
Old 03-05-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post

I've heard this from sooo many folks who struggle with eczema. Even my most "natural" friends have admitted to me that this is the only thing that works sometimes. Thanks for sharing what works for you--I may yet try it! We'll see how the lanolin goes.
One thing that was terrible for us was un-petroleum jelly. I tried that and DS broke out in a rash everywhere...so then he had eczema and a rash (poor kid!). Ive also read of people using Crisco but we never tried that
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 AM

I have had eczema all my life except for the last 7 years although I still get it now and again. I'm nearly 37. I used to get it all over the lower half of my legs including shins and back of knees, arms, lower half and behind elbows. My sister also got it on her hands. I had a rest during my early 20's and then it came back so bad, I looked like I had sunburn all over my body. In fact the only places I didn't have it was my hands feet and face. My legs also swelled. My eczemea had changed, very scary.

I can tell you now that the best cure for eczema is sea water. Me and my sister would suffer until we went on holiday, whether it be Cornwall in the UK or Spain. My dad used to have to force us in the water (cause it would sting like hell and we knew what was coming), but after 2 - 3 days it was almost cleared up, more than worth it. We tried using sea salt in our baths but it didn't work. I suspect it is a combination of sea salt, seaweed and other things. If you live near the coast then start having a few trips.

I too was tested for many things, tests showed I had allergies to cats, dogs, grass, pollen, dust mite (very big reaction), my mum kept to the same washing powder, never changed which I continued although didn't always work. We tried goats milk, horrible and changed nothing. Food for me was not the cause.

I would be wary about putting oil on eczema, even now it cause me to itch, but there again everyone is different and everything is worth a try. I remember my doctor telling me that it is trial and error, I may have allergies show up for cats but it may cause my asthma rather than eczema, if you see my meaning. Keep a diary of everything your daughter eats, if you change soap, if she stays at someones house, is she in contact with something there that may irritate.

I remember my mum telling me that steroid cream can thin the skin if used regularly and for long periods of time. I use now Elecon, I only use it when I really need it as your body can get used to medication and can stop working, almost like an immunity. Elecon is an ointment, I found that ointments worked better than creams. Again, you may have to try different products before you find one that works. If you find something that works, try to use sparingly. Get your daughter to drink plenty of water as this can help put moisture back into the body. Also Primrose oil is very good, but may take a while for it to take effect.

My mum tried me on Suducrem, but this didn't really work but did take the itch away for a while. You can get medicated oils especially for eczema sufferers for in the bath, but baths and oils can irritate the skin and showers are better. My mum tried to do both with us.

I am only 8 weeks pregnant but my fear for any child I would have is I wouldn't want them to suffer like I did, but I survived and seem to have outgrown it almost. I read somewhere that for anyone with allergies, eczema, hayfever, etc, should avoid eating nuts when pregnant as this can cause the new born to develop allergies. Eczema can also be developed through genes (my father had it, my mothers sister had it, me and my sister had it bad), so I could avoid peanut butter and nuts throughout pregnancy and my baby could still develop the rash. I will try anything.

I may not have been of any help, but I understand totally what position you are in and I know you will find something that works for your daughter.

Charlie
Old 03-05-2007, 12:28 AM

My husband has bad eczema and lanolin works really well for him.

:Mama to 2 :
Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Lanolin works ok for us as well. We also use California Baby unscented lotion. It's thin, so only good when skin is dry, not great for eczema. Liam had a HORRIBLE eczema outbreak from eating a bite of pancake w/ egg (he's allergic) a few weeks ago and I resorted to using Vanicream on him. It was like a miracle. Not very natural, but not as bad as some other products out there. No steroids. He's almost clear now, but his cheeks are still bad (and probably will be until the weather gets warm and stays warm. )
Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina
One thing that was terrible for us was un-petroleum jelly.
Isn't that interesting? Because it really worked for us, when she was a baby. Haven't tried it this time around.

Thanks to all who have posted. I always learn from moms who've been there, and I'm very grateful. I've never had eczema, and neither has my husband, so this is all new for us!

I'd love to hear more from those who have child-onset eczema (like past toddlerhood), or like my daughter, had a few normal years and then BAM--a reoccurance.

I think I'll take her to an allergist to see about the whole dust thing. If nothing else, it will be another thing to eliminate.

~Serina~

User Tag List