Dry Persistent Cough only at night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies I could really use your help! My son had a cold with a pretty bad cough back in Dec. Now, 2 months later he continues to have the cough, but only at night. We normally don't use OTC meds. but in this case we were so desperate that we tried cough meds and they have done nothing!
This cough only comes at night and is very persistent. We want our son to be healthy but also we would all like to get some sleep.
I would really appreciate any and all answers you could give!
Charlsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 PM

My son developed something similar after a bad cold and it was asthma....

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 02-27-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting. Was the asthma caused by the cold? What have you done to treat it? Thanks so much.
Charlsie
Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Most conventional cough meds suppress the cough and thus will reoccur. Month after month with no let up. The imbalance deep within the lungs need to be expelled not suppressed.
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
www.healthy.net

Look up cough in searchbox
You can use plant meds,herbal teas,homeopathics,info via link posted

Tyler
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM

You can buy Ivy leave syrup in the hfs and it works really well.

Pulsatilla is the homeopathic remedy if you'd rather use that.

Or Sambucol. Or a teaspoon of whiskey if you have nothing else.

Here is what we do when needed.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Not that I'm telling you not to try natural alternatives--but if it continues, see your child's ped and ask about asthma. NIghttime cough is pretty common symptom in kids with RAD or asthma and no, cough medicine won't touch it. We delayed too long and DD is now having to endure her second course of oral steroids (not a pretty picture). The problems came on slowly with dry cough at night during and after colds, and progressed to an ER visit and complete inability to sleep due to the coughing.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Please go to link
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
searchbox: steriods
These are the sleaziest of all the drugs,please do your homework!PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!
TYLER
Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
... asthma.... We delayed too long and DD is now having to endure her second course of oral steroids ...
I don't understand what you delayed too long????

My own son had asthma and although we did use some conventional medicines several times in his life, we delayed every time as long as we could and most times managed just fine with herbal meds and alternative healing methods which eventually help him deal with it to the point of living without having any asthma attacks. (I know, once an asthmatic - always an asthmatic. True.)

Both he and I learned how to anticipate, avoid, and deal with it in a natural way which he still uses.

He had asthma from the time he was 9 mo. old and the only time he ever used steroids was when he was a foreign exchange student and I could not be there to help him. He was 14 yo at the time.

So, to delay - what exactly are you delaying? Just really curious.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Asthma used to be seen as a completely reversible disease: with proper treatment, the bronchoconstriction reverses and the lungs go back to "normal". Recent research, however, has changed this view, and places more emphasis on controlling airway inflammation with steroids. It has been shown that long-term airway remodeling can occur with even mild untreated asthma. In these studies, the lung tissue of asthmatics show things such as increased mucuos gland production, fibrosis, and an overgrowth of cells as a result of inflammation. These changes can create additional breathing problems and excerbate existing problems. It is also not known how long it takes to reverse airway remodeling or whether such reversal is even possible. This makes prompt treatment of even mild asthma in children more important ever.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM

Medical 'views' are always changing and I am sure in time this 'view' will be overturned as well.

I am glad we used natural remedies and methods. My son is now 37 yo and has not had an asthma attack since he was 17 yo.

For him learning about prevention was key.

But like I said, once and asthmatic - always an asthmatic.
He is keenly aware of that.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Not So.
I posted before regards my husband being a asthmatic as a child,Now on homeopathic remedies (chronic constitutional prescribing),No more asthma.....its 100% cured!
This cannot be done via acute "combination" remedy intake,this chronic disorder needs to be done by a trained CLASSICAL homeopath.

http://homeopathic.com/articles/research/asthma_t.php

TYLER
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 PM

I think we really need to be careful here when we talk about steroid treatments for breathing issues. There seem to be a lot of threads about them lately, and I am really concerned that we give careful and clear advice. Homeopathy is necessary to prevent the breathing issues to begin with...diet, remedies, herbs, and such. However, as the parent of two children who have been in near-respiratory distress (stridor, gasping, etc), I believe that medical treatments have their place. With ongoing natural treatment, I feel a lot can be prevented, but I would never advise a parent to treat *only* holistically once breathing troubles have crossed a line.

I know that western medicine is very "break/fix" oriented (and often over-prescribed), and it should be more preventative. But when you watch your gasping child finally take a clear breath after a steroid treatment, you find it within the darker confines of your being to thank the higher power for modern medicine.

On a side note, Gitti, I am learning so much from your posts, and I am grateful for the knowledge that you share and your experience.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 PM

Yikes! The asthma stuff is controversial here it seems. I was told that if a person or child is prone to asthma they are more prone to attacks both during and for up to 6 weeks following a cold or similar infection. And people (children and adults) can develop asthma after a resp. virus. That happened to me..I had no signs of asthma or even allergies until less than a year ago. I got a bad bacterial cold (non-typeable hib) and started having asthma attacks. My son did the same (with his asthma onset after a virus) but he had allergies prior to this. Mine is worse at night and worse after I've been sick. After a couple of months following illness, when my lungs calm down, I don't have attacks. My son seems to follow the same pattern where he is more prone to attacks for a bit after being sick. Anyway, having experienced asthma (and mine is cough like) where I cannot get a breath--it is terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. And I'm an adult and know what is happening.
I hate the approach of conventional medicine but sometimes it is needed. Not being able to breath is one of those times. So what we have done is eliminated allergens (especially dust) in his bedroom environment. I'm doing a hepa filter too in there when my husband fixes the outlet to plug it in. I'm limited in herbal stuff because my son does react to a lot of herbal remedies due to seasonal allergies. He does get cod liver oil, probiotics, and magnesium. When my son has been sick we are doing singulair for about 6 weeks afterward to try to curb attacks. It does help. When my son has an attack and what I do to try to help him fails I do use the nebulizer. We don't do breathing treatments routinely because it isn't needed in our case. He's never needed steroids. I don't know anything about untreated vs. treated. I do know, though, that asthma has killed people, including young children. And it killed people before steriods and treatments were used...way back when. I like having a nebulizer here for those attacks that need it.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyones posts! I have been dealing with this for months and so it is really nice to get some fresh perspectives. I am going to mull over the options and see what we end up doing. At this point I will stick with natural things as I have had really bad experience with antibiotics(I will never give them to my child again if I can avoid it)
I have not been on this particular board very much but I am really liking the answers I have been seeing! I will be back!
Charlsie
Oh by the way any other comments are welcome.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 PM

I breifly scanned the thread but I wanted to recommend a humidifier. My little one was getting a dry cough at night because I had forgotten to turn it on. With the heater running and the weather being dry(especially since our rainfall is low), our air is really dry. I only bothers her(and me) at night, so I have to make sure it's on. Just be sure to point it away since it's cool, unless you get a warm one, which I believe isn't recommended for long term use and isn't as safe.

BTW Costco carries them, well usually.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you delayed too long????

My own son had asthma and although we did use some conventional medicines several times in his life, we delayed every time as long as we could and most times managed just fine with herbal meds and alternative healing methods
I feel that we delayed the use of inhaled steroids (FAR fewer side effects than oral steroids) for too long. Let me emphasize that DD has been in acute crisis, unable to sleep and sometimes unable to eat or talk, due to extremely severe asthmatic coughing. After three nights of no sleep and a very ill, exhausted child verging on complete delirium, we need the oral steroids, which have horrendous side effects, for the sake of the family and our sanity. An earlier course of preventative inhaled steroids could quite possibly have prevented this.

I absolutely am on board to reduce triggers and exposure (which is why DD was tested for allergies yesterday) but I am unwilling to rely on or even try alternative methods which have not been statistically proven when my child is in this much trouble.

Quote:
I know that western medicine is very "break/fix" oriented (and often over-prescribed), and it should be more preventative. But when you watch your gasping child finally take a clear breath after a steroid treatment, you find it within the darker confines of your being to thank the higher power for modern medicine.
Absolutely, 100% agree.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertyler View Post
I posted before regards my husband being a asthmatic as a child,Now on homeopathic remedies (chronic constitutional prescribing),No more asthma.....its 100% cured!
This cannot be done via acute "combination" remedy intake,this chronic disorder needs to be done by a trained CLASSICAL homeopath.
With the exception that my asthma was 100% cured by conventional means, I would agree with you.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Jalapeno View Post
With the exception that my asthma was 100% cured by conventional means, I would agree with you.
I am not sure that asthma can be cured. Are you sure you had asthma?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

here is the link once again

: : : : :
Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I am not sure that asthma can be cured. Are you sure you had asthma?
Asthma, croup, bronchitis. I spent my 5th birthday in an oxygen tent. I'm reasonably sure, yeah.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Asthma,bronchitis,croup,whooping cough.....................and all other respt. problems can be "CURED".
But NOT WITH CONVENTIONAL allopathic medications.
Not by "Do it yourself"
Not by an on line forum discussion panel
By seeing a trained certified Homeopath,OR TCM,OR Naturopath
These are considered CHRONIC diseases,not acute. Acute you as a mother can do it yourself. (acute=anything lasting one day to one month no longer)
If you have a illness that is REocurrant= indication of suppressed immune by the use of allopathics.
Reocurrant = its only been 'palliated',not cured (symptoms diminish for a short while not erradicated)
TYLER
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
here is the link once again

I read this. It's interesting. However, note this:

Quote:
The researchers utilized conventional allergy testing to determine what substances the asthmic patients were most allergic, and then gave a 30th potency of this substance to half of the subjects
Some asthma is triggered by viruses, not allergens. Many triggers, I would assume, cannot be made into homeopathic treatments--dust mites, pet hair, smoke, smog, humidity, cold air.... Thoughts on this?

Also, here's a different review of homeopathic treatment for asthma:

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab000353.html

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM

We had a similar experience with my daughter, though her cough started in Oct. We had her tested for asthma, which was negative (though as I understand now, the test we had was not very extensive, and if we wanted to go further there are better tests).

Anyway, 2 doctors told us it was sinus infection triggered by allergy. We started out with nasal washing, then added nasonex, and even tried some antihistamine that ent recommended. Nothing worked. Eventually it was recommended to try antibiotic and it was the amoxil knocked that thing out right away (after 4 months). ENT wanted us to continue with nasonex and antihistamines, but I had never felt comfortable using them so I discontinued those. (I guess they were supposed to be preventative, rather than curative).

Now that the cough is gone, we are continuing to do nasal washing as a preventive measure. Since this is something that I have also always been prone to, I have also been doing nasal washing and I strongly recommend it.
I didn't think my daughter, who was 5 when it all started, could handle it, but she learned really well.

I did read that you are planning to avoid antibiotics, and I generally do too. In this case they did help my daughter. I wanted to post this story anyway, in case someone else reading from this could benefit from it.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

more on homeopathy and asthma
Lets put it this way; 100 kids will asthma symptoms and all 100kids would need a totally "DIFFERENT" homeopathic remedy for it the be cured.
Homeopathy looks at all aspects of the imbalance (disease) not only the pathology,bacteria,virus,but at the mental and emotional symptoms.
The onset will be different for each child with asthma,this needs to be considered. How it has been suppressed is different in each child.
History of predispositions is different in each child.
Allopaths do not consider any of these factors that is why the 'standard' test can be reproduced with allopathic meds. Not with homeopathic meds,you are talking two different tongues its like someone speaking english and the other chirping like a bird,yes they are both communicating but they cannot understand each other. That is how allopaths look at homeopathic healing,they just do not understand how the Laws of cure work (look up "Herings Law of CURE".......Google)
Allopathic meds suppress the symptoms (it disapears for a SHORT WHILE.....but ALWAYS comes back with a VENGANCE!) Homeopathy does NOT suppress,but pulls the imbalance out of the body"in this case the lungs".
http://www.homeoint.org/books3/kentlect/lect04.htm
"CURE CAN BE UNDERSTOOD BY THE ORDER AND DIRECTION"
http://homeoint.org/books/bogphilo/index.htm
philosophy of healing,prescribing,homeopathic science,WHAT IS HOMEOPATHY?

TYLER
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Not by "Do it yourself"
Not by an on line forum discussion panel
By seeing a trained certified Homeopath,OR TCM,OR Naturopath
Or a doctor.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

The statistics for the 4th leading cause of DEATH in the USA is conventional medicine. Only 10% of adverse effects are reported by patients,never by MD's. So what the FDA reports as adverse effects is ONLY 10% of the ACTUAL number!!!!!!!!!!

www.Robertfkennedyjr.com
read article" the biggest scandal cover ups by the FDA,CDC,AMA"
DEADLY IMMUNITY june 16 2005...............please read

http://www.truthinwellness.com/news.php
FDA information you might want to read!

http://www.pnc.com.av/~cafmr/reviews1.html#murder
MEDICAL FRAUD
toxic prescriptions
faulty research
more on big pharma cover ups

TYLER
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
The statistics for the 4th leading cause of DEATH in the USA is conventional medicine. Only 10% of adverse effects are reported by patients,never by MD's. So what the FDA reports as adverse effects is ONLY 10% of the ACTUAL number!!!!!!!!!!
Wow... we should be trying to cure medicine.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Studies on homeopathy, are difficult to do because the practitioner does not treat the SYMPTOM, he/she treats the PERSON...and every person is different, so they need different remedies...even if they have the same disease. (so when they test one remedy for a disease, it probably won't have a good result).

Natural medicine is wonderful because it treats the whole person.

For example: my dd has mild excercise induced asthma with a few other triggers that cause worse attacks. The natural doctor treated her gut first, and immediately: the excercise didn't cause any more attacks! Then we added Cod liver oil and magnesium, and the other attacks lessened, and now I proactively treat with Lobelia and Vit c when the triggers arise. If she starts wheezing, the lobelia/vit. c COMPLETELY stop the attack within 1 hour (usually 30 minutes). Now we are looking at allergies as an underlying cause to get rid of any attacks at all.

But that won't work for every child...some kids have different issues, so they need different treatments.

Allopathic meds work quickly and save lives by stopping symptoms, but there is a good chance of FIXING the problem with natural medicine!

Mighty Jalepeno could you have had whooping cough? It sounds like you had 'asthma' one time, and it is not a 'one time' diagnosis...

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzanne View Post
Mighty Jalepeno could you have had whooping cough? It sounds like you had 'asthma' one time, and it is not a 'one time' diagnosis...
Reasonably sure that if I had whooping cough, they would have said something along the lines of "Sir, your son has whooping cough". It was not a "one time" diagnosis, it was every day of life until my early teens.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 AM

All right, MightyJalepeno, excuse me for the confusion, but your posts led me to believe that you had asthma once at the age of 5 and it was completely cured (by conventional medicine).
So do you have asthma now? and do you use inhalers? or did you have childhood asthma, and now it's gone?

just curious.

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11

User Tag List