Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bluets: What do you mean by that? I didn't say I wanted to stop bf'ing...I said my husband and a lot of other people are pressuring me to and what could I tell them to make them stop...

I don't think she is getting enough of my milk. I haven't had her weighed in a while, but she is a lot more boney (sp?). I feel her ribs, backbone and shoulder bones way more than I did before. I don't know if this is just what happens as babies get older (they lose their pudge), but she's only 6 months. I would NOT stop bf'ing her, but I am wondering if I need to supplement her.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Well it looks like dairy is still a no-go for DD. Her eczema got a bit worse while we were doing the trial although it didn't appear that she had any digestive problems...except after the last day she had some diarrhea (probably teething-related) and there were a few specks of blood in that. I don't know if that was dairy-related or just because of the diarrhea. I did eat a pint of ice cream the last day, whereas the rest of the trial I'd only eaten about 1/2 c. of goat yogurt, so maybe the quantity of dairy I ate, or the cow milk, affected her at the end.

I am having major digestive issues. I'm not so bloated today after I did a magnesium flush yesterday, but now my stomach is rumbling after every meal. I'm afraid I'm going to develop IBS or something like that. I don't know if I should just eliminate grains entirely and go back to losing a lot of weight and not getting enough to eat, or if I should only eat white rice, or if I need to figure out a balance between the amines in soaked grains and the fact that I don't digest unsoaked ones very well...

Really this sucks. I've been trying to heal both of our guts for just shy of a year, and I think we're both worse off than we were when we started. Some symptoms are gone, but others have taken their place. Maybe I should just have eliminated dairy a year ago and left things to take their natural course.

Aww That's gotta be so frustrating. I know that a lot of my problems started AFTER I eliminated all of the foods that showed up positive on my IgG test, and the foods that dd reacted to.

Sometimes I feel like there are so many healthy, good for me foods, that I can't have and that just negates my whole healing process.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I know that if I had been trying that long to heal my gut and hadn't seen much improvement, I would definitely try something else. Is your dd still nursing and does she still react to foods you eat? If not, I would attempt to add more foods in and see what happens.

I hope you figure something out. This whole thing is so frustrating...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
re - grains... have you tried a slow-cook way of doing grains? NT has a recipe for unsoaked brown rice, only it cooks for 3 hours or so. turns it to mush if you let it go long enough (though in my crockpot, it starts getting crispy and burnt on the edges).

what about doing the initial intro SCD diet to reset things? (or some appropriate modification) and then add things in without regard to SCD.

are you eating crucifers? (Broccoli, cabbage, and cousins) those give us really rumbly tummies - especially brussel sprouts. i eliminated them all for about a week and have been slowly bringing them back (and cooking the heck out of them) and we're much less rumbly now.

when i eat goat cheese, ds wakes up SCREAMING in the middle of the night. i've thought about trying a DPP-IV enzyme but it's a little pricy and i think it's just easier for the moment to not mess with what is generally working. btw, the DPP-IV enzyme is also supposed to work on gluten - maybe that's the enzyme you need to use for the moment?
I'm not eating any gluten-containing grains. I'm not eating crucifers very much, either, but the crucifers are generally high in oxalates, and I am eating a lot of oxalates, so maybe that's part of the problem.

I have sort of tried the long-cook method (IIRC NT recommends 2 hours cooked in bone broth)...cooking for maybe 75-90 minutes. I may have to let stuff cook into mush, though. Right now I'm trying white rice to see if it's something about whole grains, or if it's starch or carbohydrates in general, or who knows what else it could be.

I could try the beginning of the SCD for a few days...I just hate being hungry and I know I'll be hungry if I do that. It'd be worth if it stops these gut problems, though.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
bluets: What do you mean by that? I didn't say I wanted to stop bf'ing...I said my husband and a lot of other people are pressuring me to and what could I tell them to make them stop...

I don't think she is getting enough of my milk. I haven't had her weighed in a while, but she is a lot more boney (sp?). I feel her ribs, backbone and shoulder bones way more than I did before. I don't know if this is just what happens as babies get older (they lose their pudge), but she's only 6 months. I would NOT stop bf'ing her, but I am wondering if I need to supplement her.
I think you're referring to Pookietooth's post, and I think she just misspoke (mis-typed?)...reading the rest of the post you can tell she understood what you were saying.

Babies usually slim down once they start to walk, but a 6 month old should still be chubby, IMO. It might not be a bad idea to supplement for a couple of weeks and see if she fattens up some.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I know that if I had been trying that long to heal my gut and hadn't seen much improvement, I would definitely try something else. Is your dd still nursing and does she still react to foods you eat? If not, I would attempt to add more foods in and see what happens.
She does still react to the foods I already realized she reacted to (like dairy), but I don't think she's reacting to anything I'm eating now. She's still nursing, although sometimes I seriously want to wean just so I can eat some of the things she reacts to.:
caedmyn is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
bluets: What do you mean by that? I didn't say I wanted to stop bf'ing...I said my husband and a lot of other people are pressuring me to and what could I tell them to make them stop...

I don't think she is getting enough of my milk. I haven't had her weighed in a while, but she is a lot more boney (sp?). I feel her ribs, backbone and shoulder bones way more than I did before. I don't know if this is just what happens as babies get older (they lose their pudge), but she's only 6 months. I would NOT stop bf'ing her, but I am wondering if I need to supplement her.
and you tell them that because breastmilk is secreted, and that secretion is the basis of nutrition, why on earth would you stop? because breastmilk is secreted, it is already somewhat digested, so your lil one doesn't have to work hard to convert it into body building components.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post

It seems like there are a variety of diets people use to heal their guts and other issues. Is there one in particular that people have had the greatest results with.
i didn't follow a specific diet. i followed loosely the initial SCD for a few days though without dairy, then i added a few supplements and focused on healing foods (bone broths, low allergenic meats, reduced grains almost completely - except brown rice - for the longest time, wellcooked veggies). i still stay away from gluten mostly because it makes me feel like crap and i start putting on weight, so i imagine a sensitivity of some sort.

Quote:
I've never had any bad bowel problems other than constipation (well, not so much constipation, but I have never been "regular") but not enough to cause me any discomfort. It just seems like I have a really bad leaky gut, no absorption issues (the test results confirmed this) so I'm wondering what diet I should be leaning towards.

Any ideas?
do you drink coffee? i read a paper that coffee can set up a (false?) leaky gut scenario and that, if one abstains from drinking coffee for at least 48 hours prior to taking the leaky gut test, then the test should correctly reflect the leakiness of the gut. otherwise, the gut will be leaky. does that make sense?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
 
Rachel J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: TN/GA line
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gone for a few days and I'm already way behind on the posts. It's hard to keep up with you all! I think I have poor adrenal function, definitely a adrenal/mixed type based on the questionaire that was posted previously. I found an adrenal support supplement that's on sale with Frontier and thought I'd get some through the co op if it's any good. Anyone know anything about this one?
Rachel J. is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:20 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
Gone for a few days and I'm already way behind on the posts. It's hard to keep up with you all! I think I have poor adrenal function, definitely a adrenal/mixed type based on the questionaire that was posted previously. I found an adrenal support supplement that's on sale with Frontier and thought I'd get some through the co op if it's any good. Anyone know anything about this one?
My ND put me on Ashwaganda for adrenal support. It's this brand.

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

do you drink coffee? i read a paper that coffee can set up a (false?) leaky gut scenario and that, if one abstains from drinking coffee for at least 48 hours prior to taking the leaky gut test, then the test should correctly reflect the leakiness of the gut. otherwise, the gut will be leaky. does that make sense?
I used to, but haven't had any since before my pregnancy and even then it was a couple of cups a week of decaf. That's good to know though!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM
 
Janelovesmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: with water bugs.
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really sorry, I'm still relatively new on this thread. What does SCD stand for? What does NAET stand for?
Janelovesmax is offline  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 PM
 
Cello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
I'm really sorry, I'm still relatively new on this thread. What does SCD stand for? What does NAET stand for?
Specific Carbohydrates Diet. Other than that I don't know much about it, as I am trying to read on FailSafe now. One things at a time for my little brain

NAET: http://www.naet.com/

My DH had his first NAET removal this week, and it is an AP, so who knows, it may or may not work. I just am a bit confused how an AP, DC, ND, etc could do it. If you're interested I'll keep you posted on what happens.

How is the body ecology diet coming? I looked at the site, and it seems to incorporate many of the NT ideas, but very stringent the carb aspect, like NO the avocados surprised me, etc. Are you following it, or just reading up on it?
Cello is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 AM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Yeah, that's exactly how it is with me. Sometimes I do actually feel bloated and uncomfortable, but mostly my stomach just sticks out...to the point where people are noticing and wondering if I'm pregnant! Actually I got a pregnancy test today just in case...I'd be shocked if I were pregnant because I'd be about 13-14 weeks along! Now I just have to get up the nerve to actually take the test...

I don't know what diet I should be doing now, either.
Are you taking enzymes? I was not really taking them for a while, and then I started again, but have since run out. As if my stomach protrusion could get any worse, it seems as if it has. That and the awful gas I had tonight (leeks for dinner??), I ordered more just a bit ago.

In fact, I have been off most supplements lately, even SA. It is hard to feel like it isn't all just a big waste of money and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
what about doing the initial intro SCD diet to reset things? (or some appropriate modification) and then add things in without regard to SCD.
I have thought of this. Well, I didn't think about abandoning SCD after the intro, which is why I haven't done anything more about it. I just can't find the energy for another diet that may or may not work.
moonshine is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Well, the pacifier has been a life savor. She screamed the entire first 3.5 months of her life, and after she started taking a pacifier, she seemed more happy. I was against it, but she really needs it and I can NOT become a human pacifier. She nurses almost every 45 minutes during the day anyway...

Dh thinks because of my leaky gut that my breastfeeding her is harming her, or setting her up for life long problems. He also feels like it's hindering my recovery because I can't go anywhere or do anything. She won't take a bottle of BM (prefers having her mommy's boob, but I have a feeling she'd take a bottle of something else) so I can't leave her.

I did an IgG test last summer and it came back with a lot. I just recently took an IgE test and it all came back negative! Woohoo!

But my gut is so "leaky" that the doctor at the lab thought I had really bad Celiac's and had been consuming a lot of wheat and gluten. Well, I haven't had either wheat or gluten for almost a year...So I don't know if I could just go back to a good, whole foods diet with all of the things I feel my body needs. I would it I wasn't nursing, but I have no idea what eating the bigger allergens would do to dd...
As far as supply issues -- well, I'm sure over in bfing challenges they have stuff, but I'm pretty sure some of the archived HTG threads mention low supply as a sign of a reaction to something (or lack of something). I wish the HTG threads were all in one place.
I think that the damage was already done by now in terms of your leaky gut and your dd. At this point, healing you and her both would help her anyway.

As far as what to eliminate, I think it depends on what you're reacting to. There are several approaches to healing the gut, not just one, and I think that's because it's a highly individual thing. SCD helps some but not all. Slippery Elm gruel helps some but not all. Raw foods help some but not all. The Maker's Diet helps some but not all. Sorry I couldn't help more, but it really is an individual thing.

As far as the binky, I think your dd's extreme sucking need could also be a sign of gut problems -- kids with reflux all tend to need them, even if they are exclusively breastfed.

DS would never take BM from a bottle, but he would drink it from a sippy cup. Have you tried that? Remember too that it's about her emotional needs, because she may not want to be separated from you that long.

mama. It's rough, but it will get better as she gets older. I'm sure of that.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:30 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I have thought of this. Well, I didn't think about abandoning SCD after the intro, which is why I haven't done anything more about it. I just can't find the energy for another diet that may or may not work.
I also have the same issue -- I actually have halfway abandoned the SCD (which means fully, since you have to do it 100%), but just don't have the energy to find another one. And none of the other ones seemed any better.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:34 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
She's still nursing, although sometimes I seriously want to wean just so I can eat some of the things she reacts to.:
I think this is very common. I went through it a couple of years ago, although I'm still nursing my 4 year old (which is uncommon even among MDC mams, I'm finding).
For me, it was a combination of wanting to eat the stuff and (I think) frustration with feeling like your bm has to be "perfect" when LLL and others say it doesn't. They lied!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
bluets: What do you mean by that? I didn't say I wanted to stop bf'ing...I said my husband and a lot of other people are pressuring me to and what could I tell them to make them stop...

I don't think she is getting enough of my milk. I haven't had her weighed in a while, but she is a lot more boney (sp?). I feel her ribs, backbone and shoulder bones way more than I did before. I don't know if this is just what happens as babies get older (they lose their pudge), but she's only 6 months. I would NOT stop bf'ing her, but I am wondering if I need to supplement her.
Sorry, my bad, I mistyped and asked why your dh was mad at you for switching to formula when I meant to ask why he was mad at you for *not* switching. Ugh.

As far as her skinniness, I think that that's also a sign of gut damage, and that in general, supplementing won't help because it's the malabsorbtion causing the skinniness, not how much milk she takes in. But of course I don't know your dd. Could you see a good lactation consultant? I know my ds was skinny as a baby, too, and now that he's eating plenty, he's skinny as a four year old. Although he has gained weight in the past few months with all the treatments he's been getting (cranialsacral, homeopathy, CLO, etc.) I know of several skinny kids who don't get any breastmilk anymore. Two of them have a mom with allergies, and I'm positive they have undiagnosed ones that are causing their skinniness and dark circles and fussiness (but I don't know their mom well enough to say anything, and she's pretty mainstream).

to all you mamas. I hope we all heal!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
(leeks for dinner??)
the onions in my onion-artichoke soup last night just about caused my belly to explode. no effect on dh who actually uses those digestive enzymes.

leeks are cousins to onions so are high in sulfur compounds...

if i felt i needed to reset things in my gut, i would go back to GALLONS of bone broth with side dishes of chicken/turkey (hard to get organic lamb here otherwise i'd use it) and apples, carrots, maybe peas/squash too. i think i'd even cut out the kefir for a few days - i don't think that one would need more than a week of that, probably only 3-5 days. then i'd slowly reintroduce things - yogurt/kefir, avocado, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, pears, berries... etc. 1 new thing per *week*. veggies get well-steamed or cooked to death in bone broth. boring as heck but (a) easy shopping list! and (b) i'd know what was giving me issues pretty darn fast and (c) gradual retraining the gut on how to digest stuff.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Are you taking enzymes? I was not really taking them for a while, and then I started again, but have since run out. As if my stomach protrusion could get any worse, it seems as if it has. That and the awful gas I had tonight (leeks for dinner??), I ordered more just a bit ago.

In fact, I have been off most supplements lately, even SA. It is hard to feel like it isn't all just a big waste of money and effort.
I'm still taking enzymes and Betaine HCL. Actually I think a lot of the bloating was due to low stomach acid as now that I've increased my dose of HCL I'm having a lot less problems with bloating...except now my stomach is rumbly and unhappy after meals. I wonder if the casein I ate during DD's dairy trial messed up my gut...although I wasn't aware of being more than very slightly dairy intolerant (possibly lactose intolerant).
caedmyn is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
if i felt i needed to reset things in my gut, i would go back to GALLONS of bone broth with side dishes of chicken/turkey (hard to get organic lamb here otherwise i'd use it) and apples, carrots, maybe peas/squash too. i think i'd even cut out the kefir for a few days - i don't think that one would need more than a week of that, probably only 3-5 days. then i'd slowly reintroduce things - yogurt/kefir, avocado, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, pears, berries... etc. 1 new thing per *week*. veggies get well-steamed or cooked to death in bone broth. boring as heck but (a) easy shopping list! and (b) i'd know what was giving me issues pretty darn fast and (c) gradual retraining the gut on how to digest stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do need someone to give me a plan! Gotta get back on the bone broth making.

I forget where I read it, but isn't non-organic lamb supposed to be ok? I forget why -- something about where they graze?
moonshine is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 PM
 
moonshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: finding my way back to the Dingos
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'm still taking enzymes and Betaine HCL. Actually I think a lot of the bloating was due to low stomach acid as now that I've increased my dose of HCL I'm having a lot less problems with bloating...except now my stomach is rumbly and unhappy after meals. I wonder if the casein I ate during DD's dairy trial messed up my gut...although I wasn't aware of being more than very slightly dairy intolerant (possibly lactose intolerant).
I was taking the HCL too, and I thought it was helping me digest things like salad w/o the nausea that I was having before. But then I had a bout of what I now know is gastritis, did the baking soda test, and burped right away. Not really sure where I stand right now.

I also really bloat after drinking, even water. What is that about?
moonshine is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:02 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'm still taking enzymes and Betaine HCL. Actually I think a lot of the bloating was due to low stomach acid as now that I've increased my dose of HCL I'm having a lot less problems with bloating...except now my stomach is rumbly and unhappy after meals. I wonder if the casein I ate during DD's dairy trial messed up my gut...although I wasn't aware of being more than very slightly dairy intolerant (possibly lactose intolerant).
How do you know you have low stomach acid? My stool sample showed that I have a more alkaline pH, and I'm assuming that means from my stomach, but I don't know. Is the Betaine an enzyme?

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
As far as supply issues -- well, I'm sure over in bfing challenges they have stuff, but I'm pretty sure some of the archived HTG threads mention low supply as a sign of a reaction to something (or lack of something). I wish the HTG threads were all in one place.
I think that the damage was already done by now in terms of your leaky gut and your dd. At this point, healing you and her both would help her anyway.

As far as what to eliminate, I think it depends on what you're reacting to. There are several approaches to healing the gut, not just one, and I think that's because it's a highly individual thing. SCD helps some but not all. Slippery Elm gruel helps some but not all. Raw foods help some but not all. The Maker's Diet helps some but not all. Sorry I couldn't help more, but it really is an individual thing.

As far as the binky, I think your dd's extreme sucking need could also be a sign of gut problems -- kids with reflux all tend to need them, even if they are exclusively breastfed.

DS would never take BM from a bottle, but he would drink it from a sippy cup. Have you tried that? Remember too that it's about her emotional needs, because she may not want to be separated from you that long.

mama. It's rough, but it will get better as she gets older. I'm sure of that.

Well, I'm pretty sure we think my low supply is due to 1) low caloric intake and 2) (this is the major red flag) that my progesterone levels are about what a pre-menpausal woman's would be at...waaaaay too low. And this is the dominant hormone of nursing mothers (I believe anyway...)

You see, the funny thing is, I never had any issues until I got pregnant. I was eating foods fine, only minor bloating and I wasn't "regular." I ate anything and everything I wanted to. It wasn't until my ND did an IgG test because of eczema I developed in pregnancy and I cut out all sorts of foods that came up positive, did all the real issues start. The further my diet has been restricted, the worse my symptoms have become :


And doctors have been telling me that dd doesn't have leaky gut, because one doesn't just "get it." It develops over time. She has never been exposed to any antibiotics or anything. She was naturally born at home, has only ever had BM and the occasional homeopathic remedy. So how could she have leaky gut? I honestly believe that her symptoms are caused by my BM. There are big, undigested proteins getting into my milk, some of which my body probably sees as allergens because I can't break down food properly. Her body isn't designed to break these down and I truly believe that is what is causing the mucus in her stools, the gas, the crankiness, etc.

I could be way off base here, but that's what I think is happening. Whether or not she develops allergies because of this is another story. I'm praying that she won't. I want her to be able to eat normally!!

Does any of that make sense? I'm a little low on sleep here, so forgive me if I ramble...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, this is wishful thinking and I may be asking too much, but it seems like there are so many people who read and respond on this thread. It's hard to keep track of what everyone is doing. Can we all do a recap and tell each other a little bit about our leaky gut journey?

Does that sound okay?

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
How do you know you have low stomach acid? My stool sample showed that I have a more alkaline pH, and I'm assuming that means from my stomach, but I don't know. Is the Betaine an enzyme?
I started having lots of problems with heartburn, and I tried taking some apple cider vinegar in water after meals and it helped, so I knew my stomach acid was low. Betaine HCL makes up for the low stomach acid. If you feel like you have indigestion or heartburn after meals, try taking a tbsp. of ACV in water. If that helps, you have low stomach acid. If it makes things worse, you probably have too much stomach acid. Or if taking baking soda in water when you have heartburn helps, that means you have too much stomach acid.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I started having lots of problems with heartburn, and I tried taking some apple cider vinegar in water after meals and it helped, so I knew my stomach acid was low. Betaine HCL makes up for the low stomach acid. If you feel like you have indigestion or heartburn after meals, try taking a tbsp. of ACV in water. If that helps, you have low stomach acid. If it makes things worse, you probably have too much stomach acid. Or if taking baking soda in water when you have heartburn helps, that means you have too much stomach acid.
Oh okay! Thanks I don't have indigestion or heartburn problems, so I guess I'm all set!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
 
Janelovesmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: with water bugs.
Posts: 2,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Specific Carbohydrates Diet. Other than that I don't know much about it, as I am trying to read on FailSafe now. One things at a time for my little brain

NAET: http://www.naet.com/

My DH had his first NAET removal this week, and it is an AP, so who knows, it may or may not work. I just am a bit confused how an AP, DC, ND, etc could do it. If you're interested I'll keep you posted on what happens.

How is the body ecology diet coming? I looked at the site, and it seems to incorporate many of the NT ideas, but very stringent the carb aspect, like NO the avocados surprised me, etc. Are you following it, or just reading up on it?
Thank you so much for answering.

BED is coming ok. I slip once in the while. It's difficult for me, but in general I do pretty well. I try to combine meats with veggies only and I eat fermented veggies and Kefir.
I was surprised about Avocado as well, but I was asking around and heard that avocados are ok.
Actually at the back of Body Ecology Book, there is side note from Sally Fallon praising the book, yes they are on the same page (on most things)

Do you make your own fermented veggies or you buy them? If you buy them, then where??? I need a good unpasteurized source...
Janelovesmax is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 AM
 
formerluddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
And doctors have been telling me that dd doesn't have leaky gut, because one doesn't just "get it." It develops over time. She has never been exposed to any antibiotics or anything. She was naturally born at home, has only ever had BM and the occasional homeopathic remedy. So how could she have leaky gut?
during birth, baby is supposed to get an "initiation" dose of flora from mama, which then colonize her. it sounds like your flora was already out of balance during pregnancy (eczema sx, etc.), so maybe your dd didn't get the flora she needed to start her off right (=leaky gut). this is not to say that your other suppositions (current effects of your leaky gut) are off base. i understand your concerns, for us it was better to continue and dd1 nursed til nearly 5.

as to recap: lots of food intolerances (prob mostly IgG) in dd1, ?similar to what your dd is experiencing (fussy/agitated, gassy, mucus poop, target sign, frequent/lingering colds, no sleep unless latched...). exacerbated by vaxing until 15mos. did TED for a few weeks at 4.5 mos, then she started to get worse, as she started to react to those foods too, since that was all i was eating. i ate no dairy/soy for 2 yrs. and tried to avoid too much exposure to any one food type (lots of rotation). dx with leaky gut/candida, started working on that, did candida diet/herbs/probiotics/enzymes and NAET for me and dd1. she still has eczema, that came on at 18mos, nearly cleared, flared when i got her hepA vaxed at 2.5 (for a trip to india) and hasn't gone since, waxes and wanes. tried CST, one course of homeopathic remedy (lycopodium). currently try to rotate foods and limit wheat/dairy/soy. not totally eliminating them, because of difficulty with a 5yo in the mainstream world, and seeing that sometimes total elimination leads to increased reaction. supplement with probiotics, CLO/omega3, dd1 seeing acupuncturist since july and taking chinese herbs with slow improvement. going to try another homeopathic remedy soon. held off because too many experiments at once leads to not knowing what's helping.

for myself, react to dairy by increasing other seasonal/pet/dust allergies (total allergic load), and chronic mild sinus stuff. probably have yeast going on again, had probs as a baby like ours do: "allergic" to mama's milk, so weaned at 2 weeks, couldn't tolerate milk based formula or goat's milk, given soy formula, frequent ear infections (with a shot in the butt that i can remember), lots of excruciating gas pain as a kid (drank milk daily after i "grew out of" my allergy to it... who decided THAT???). not too strict with anything for myself, but rotate/supplement (probiotics, omega3, need to try glutamine). hindsight of my mother makes me think she had leaky gut (chronic fatigue in her 50's, ?manic depressive---> suicide, lots of cravings for dairy and sweets), and my aunt has a lot of health probs, treated conventionally with lots of meds.

dd2 has benefitted from dd1's experiences. homebirth, mama better varied diet in pregnancy and probably better gut condition (if not great), probiotics started early (?3wks). limit dairy/wheat/soy for her too, and she's a snot factory who gets mild sandpapery rashes, so there's some allergy. refluxy as a newborn. 2 rounds of antibiotics: for pneumonia at 3mos (very scary, hospitalized overnight. sometimes abx are really great!!!), and one bad ear infection (both ears) when our homeopath recommended it (which i would not do if i had it to do over again).

i know how hard it is to decide whether to wean. we know how valuable all the components of bm are, and how babies with allergies do much better on mama's milk (some don't even get the allergies until a few mos after weaning), but your situation is tough since you're so ill and depleted currently, and you know you are passing on some things that make it worse for your dd (along with all the good things), and it's harder to heal while bfing.

sorry i can't offer more help.

my signature is usually illegible
formerluddite is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:44 AM
 
formerluddite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been wondering something:

sometimes an indiction of an allergy is NOT liking a certain food. other times an indication is loving, craving, getting high on (beta endorphins), eating nothing BUT a certain food.

anyone know why? is one IgE and the other IgG? or something?

the craving thing makes it very hard to know when craving is a sign of a nutrient depletion (=good to eat the food) vs a sign of allergy (= bad to eat it).

thoughts anyone?

my signature is usually illegible
formerluddite is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
during birth, baby is supposed to get an "initiation" dose of flora from mama, which then colonize her. it sounds like your flora was already out of balance during pregnancy (eczema sx, etc.), so maybe your dd didn't get the flora she needed to start her off right (=leaky gut). this is not to say that your other suppositions (current effects of your leaky gut) are off base. i understand your concerns, for us it was better to continue and dd1 nursed til nearly 5.

as to recap: lots of food intolerances (prob mostly IgG) in dd1, ?similar to what your dd is experiencing (fussy/agitated, gassy, mucus poop, target sign, frequent/lingering colds, no sleep unless latched...). exacerbated by vaxing until 15mos. did TED for a few weeks at 4.5 mos, then she started to get worse, as she started to react to those foods too, since that was all i was eating. i ate no dairy/soy for 2 yrs. and tried to avoid too much exposure to any one food type (lots of rotation). dx with leaky gut/candida, started working on that, did candida diet/herbs/probiotics/enzymes and NAET for me and dd1. she still has eczema, that came on at 18mos, nearly cleared, flared when i got her hepA vaxed at 2.5 (for a trip to india) and hasn't gone since, waxes and wanes. tried CST, one course of homeopathic remedy (lycopodium). currently try to rotate foods and limit wheat/dairy/soy. not totally eliminating them, because of difficulty with a 5yo in the mainstream world, and seeing that sometimes total elimination leads to increased reaction. supplement with probiotics, CLO/omega3, dd1 seeing acupuncturist since july and taking chinese herbs with slow improvement. going to try another homeopathic remedy soon. held off because too many experiments at once leads to not knowing what's helping.

for myself, react to dairy by increasing other seasonal/pet/dust allergies (total allergic load), and chronic mild sinus stuff. probably have yeast going on again, had probs as a baby like ours do: "allergic" to mama's milk, so weaned at 2 weeks, couldn't tolerate milk based formula or goat's milk, given soy formula, frequent ear infections (with a shot in the butt that i can remember), lots of excruciating gas pain as a kid (drank milk daily after i "grew out of" my allergy to it... who decided THAT???). not too strict with anything for myself, but rotate/supplement (probiotics, omega3, need to try glutamine). hindsight of my mother makes me think she had leaky gut (chronic fatigue in her 50's, ?manic depressive---> suicide, lots of cravings for dairy and sweets), and my aunt has a lot of health probs, treated conventionally with lots of meds.

dd2 has benefitted from dd1's experiences. homebirth, mama better varied diet in pregnancy and probably better gut condition (if not great), probiotics started early (?3wks). limit dairy/wheat/soy for her too, and she's a snot factory who gets mild sandpapery rashes, so there's some allergy. refluxy as a newborn. 2 rounds of antibiotics: for pneumonia at 3mos (very scary, hospitalized overnight. sometimes abx are really great!!!), and one bad ear infection (both ears) when our homeopath recommended it (which i would not do if i had it to do over again).

i know how hard it is to decide whether to wean. we know how valuable all the components of bm are, and how babies with allergies do much better on mama's milk (some don't even get the allergies until a few mos after weaning), but your situation is tough since you're so ill and depleted currently, and you know you are passing on some things that make it worse for your dd (along with all the good things), and it's harder to heal while bfing.

sorry i can't offer more help.

Thanks for your story. It's nice to know where everyone is coming from

I don't want to wean dd, but there are times I really do wonder if because of my BM I am causing her lifelong problems, even though she is also getting good stuff in it too...It's way past that point now, so I'm not even questioning it. Only when it comes to healing myself, and if I can't because I am breastfeeding, would I have to consider it.

I do really wonder why all of my problems started when pregnant. Why could I eat anythign I wanted to before and was fine?! : So confusing...

I haven't had wheat in almost a year. I really want to give it a go, but I'm afraid of how dd will react. If I have a little bit, am I setting her up for a bigger chance of allergies?

This is what I don't understand...if I totally avoid some foods and then we introduce them slowly after a LONG time, why wouldn't her body say, "Woah...what the heck is this?" and treat it as an allergen? You would think that if you had it more regularly, that the body would see it as an okay substance. Am I making any sense here?

Going to have my breakfast now...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off