Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 12:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Oh, wanted to mention that I got dd's Natren dairy free bifidus in the mail and wouldn't you know, on the label it says "may contain traces of dairy and soy" What the heck???!! I didn't see that on their website, but I wasn't looking too closely because I assumed that dairy-free meant dairy-free. Ugh...

SO I called and they said she shouldn't react to it, but if she did I could get my money back. Great...

I've been giving it to her for two days and no reaction yet...
That is maddening... I suspect it's because of the standard industry practices thing. That since it is maybe produced in the same facility as dairy? Honestly I'd only be concerned if you have an anaphylactic allergy. I remember from the "How Not to Have An Allergic Child" thread that our resident scientist Insider said that food proteins can hang around a mamas body for a long time and be enough to cause allergies (if immune system is broached) even if she doesn't eat the food while pg/bf. So it's really all about the defense!

I am reading an excellent book Digestive Wellness for Children and she (Dr. Lipski) says that supplementing with dairy probiotics will help digest dairy. If they are tolerated.

http://www.digestivewellnessforchildren.com/

I think you just have to do a trial and error unfortunately, with everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
This is what I don't understand...if I totally avoid some foods and then we introduce them slowly after a LONG time, why wouldn't her body say, "Woah...what the heck is this?" and treat it as an allergen? You would think that if you had it more regularly, that the body would see it as an okay substance. Am I making any sense here?
There is debate about this. I remember reading specifically that wheat introduced earlier rather than later set up the body to recognize it as okay.

I think there is just so much that is unknown about the babe's immune system. That reminds me, I need to find that link to the discussion MT had with top immunologists on BMJ Rapid Response where they admit they know nothing about how an infant's immune system works...
#363 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 AM

1. Has anybody listen to a CD "The Benefits of a Probiotic Diet" from Body Ecology? One of the chapter is "Babies born with a Leaky gut" and I was wondering if it was worth a purchase.

2. I would like your opinion of SCD recipe books. It seems my choices are:
"Adventure in the Family Kitchen"
"Recipes for the SCD: The grain free, dairy free, sugar free
solution to IBD, Celiac Disease, Autism, cystic Fabrosis and
other... conditions"
"Eat Well, Feel Well"
"Grain Free Gourmet"
"Lucy's SCD Cookbook"
"Nourishing Tradition"

If the recipe contains honey, dates, coconut, apples or other sweet fruits, I have to omit or substitute with pears. My kids will break out from too much ripe banana or carrots as well. So, I am looking for recipes that uses a lot of green veggies and herbs/spices.

3. Has anybody treid detox such as colon cleanse, parasite flush, liver flush, etc. while you are on the SCD?

4. Where do I start, if I want to make Kifer or Combucha? Which one is a fool proof method? Or should I read "Bacteria for Breackfast"?

Thanks!

Greencat
#364 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 03:13 AM

I put my 2 year old son on the 1st stage of Breaking the Vicious Cycle diet in order to heal his leaky gut. After two days of being on it, his poop went from runny w/ undigested food to harder extremely dark (almost black) poop. This has been going on for about 1 1/2 weeks. Before the diet, he was pooping 3-5 times a day and it was always a nasty blowout with food particles still present. He now poops this dark, black poop about once a day.

Any thoughts on why his poop has changed so drastically? Should I be concerned? Have others experienced this same change when trying to heal the gut? Another bit of info., he is on a muti vitamin that has iron in it, which I hear can also turn your stools black. He started taking the vitamins the same time he started the diet. Also, he's been eating quite a bit of homemade gelatin w/ grape juice, which is quite dark. Not sure if this would affect the stool color though.

Please share your insights with me! Thanks!
#365 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 PM

: : : : : :

I am so depressed. We failed the raw goat's milk trial I had 3 oz. and she was up ALL night long. I didn't sleep because she didn't sleep...she's super crabby today because of not sleeping, but won't take a nap...

I was so optimistic about the raw goat's milk. I really was. I bought a yogurt maker too. Would raw goat's milk yogurt have a better reaction? I don't know if I can take another night like last night.

I was really, really hoping this would be something I could add to my diet.

I AM SO SICK OF THIS. I feel like I'm at the point where I want to give up because I don't see any sign of this getting better. I can't take another year of it. I feel like I have no right to complain because plenty of you have been doing this a heck of a lot longer, but you must be stronger than us. I just want her to eat normally.

I did another thing that was "bad." She was having more and more tantrums over not being able to get our food. I steamed some organic carrots really, really well. Cut them into tiny little pieces (people on MDC seem to be against pureed foods, so I went this route) and let her go at it. She didn't really seem all that impressed and after about 3-4 tiny pieces that she got in her mouth, she decided it would be much more fun to just mush it around the tray.
Well, the next day the tiny pieces of carrot came out in her poo. They were just as they were when they went in.

So, is that normal, or a sign of major gut issues in her?

I know you all told me not to feed her, but dh was up my back about this, which just added to the other things and I couldn't take it anymore. He's already pissed at me for bf'ing her, so I just went ahead and let her have the carrots. Hopefully I haven't screwed her up anymore...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#366 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
from there, i did a bit of a candida-type diet with some elements from SCD as well. when the results from the leaky gut test came back positive for leaky gut, negative for malabsorption, i started Intestinew then switched to Glutagenics + UltraFlora DF Plus + EPO. dairy-free cleared up the postnasal drip.
Mine came back positive for leaky gut, negative for malabsorption as well. Do you know why this is? What would cause malabsorption?

Thanks for your story. It's nice to hear what everyone has tried and it seems like you have made some great progress

#367 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 PM

mum2be--Have you tried almond/nut milk yogurt? My dd5 can eat goat's but my ds3 can not, unless whey is drained out. The yogurt will get tart if you drain whey out which ds won't eat. Another thing is using yogurt maker for goat or nut milk: I think it is set too high, but for cow's. I use oven with lower temp for incubating goat yogurt (110F) and nut milk yogurt (105F)

And, as far as malabsorption, when the colon is so damaged from condition like Leaky gut, your body can't absorb nutrient. So, staying on SCD with good compliance, eating SCD yogurt every day in the empty stomach, and using digestive enzyme with meals is one way of healing. Try not to get discouraged. This can be a slow, long road of recovery.
#368 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
mum2be--Have you tried almond/nut milk yogurt? My dd5 can eat goat's but my ds3 can not, unless whey is drained out. The yogurt will get tart if you drain whey out which ds won't eat. Another thing is using yogurt maker for goat or nut milk: I think it is set too high, but for cow's. I use oven with lower temp for incubating goat yogurt (110F) and nut milk yogurt (105F
So you're saying the yogurt maker won't work for nut yogurt? Should I just return it before I open it then?

I'm so bummed...

#369 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 PM

May be other people had better luck using the yogurt maker for goat or nut milk yogurt, but I did not. I was getting pink spots after incubating for 8hr., no matter how much I starlized the equipments and container. I figured the temp was set too high, killing the good bacteria that you want to grow and culturing the bad which resulted in pink spots and bad oder. The yogurts also tasts better in the oven with a lower incubation temp, and comes out more creamy with organic milk. Other key is to cool the milk lower than 70F to add starter. You can lower it even lower (anywhere from 64F-70F.)
Good luck
#370 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM

this is a direction I wrote for my husband, if in case I have to leave or gone to stay at hospital, etc. The basic instruction is best read from pecanbread.com. Good luck.

It is best to use utensils that were in the dishwasher, or boil everthing for 10mim in a large pot, emersing everything.

1.5L Pyrex cooking pot and a lid
A large, cotton dish cloth
Stainless cooking spoon with holes
Cooking thermometer with holder
1/8t. measuring spoon
Timer
Blender
Ice

2/3 C Sliced, Blanched Almond
2/3 C Cashew nuts, or you can also add few pine nuts
4C filtered water
1/8sp Pro-Gurt

Have a dish cloth over a Pyrex cooking pot, ready to cook the nut milk.

Put nuts and water in a blender for 8min. to make nut milk.
Pour the nut milk in the pot, over the dish cloth.
Gently squeeze all the milk as you twist the top--Throw the nuts out

Put the cooking thermometer in the pot, and heat the milk with medium-high heat.
Slowly boil the nut milk to the boiling point as you stair often with the spoon.

Take the pot off the heat as soon as it reaches the boiling point. Do not let it burn. Keep the cooking thermometer and the spoon in the pot (until you are ready to put the pot in the oven.)

Let it cool to reach 64-77F. Keep the lid on while you cool it and the fan on high. You may do this with ice water in the sink to shorten the time of cooling. Stir before you read the temperature.

Set the oven temperature at 105F (Slightly lower than the goat milk.)

When cooked milk is in the appropriate temperature, take the Pro-Gurt out of the refrigerator, and sprinkle 1/8spoon of it. Then, gently stir. Do not mix too much where live culture does not like to be disturbed, and the yogurt will not sit well.

Cover the pot with Saran Wrap. Write the time you put the cooked milk in the oven on the Saran Wrap. Incubate without disturbing the milk for 8hours.

After the incubation, cool it in the refrigerator over night (without disturbing.)

Care and Cooking Tip

The cleaning is easier if you put water in the blender as soon as nut milk is poured into a pan. Wash the dish cloth in the hot, power wash cycle with Borax.

The reason you keep the cooking spoon and the thermometer in the pot until you are ready to put the cooled milk into the ready oven is to avoid introducing bacteria after the milk has reached the high temperature, making the milk a comfortable place for the good bacteria to thrive.

Keep the stove fan on high while you cook and cool the milk. Don't talk to it, but just look; keep your mouth closed, and keep the lids on while cooling.

Different kind of milk may take different temperature setting for incubation. The good bacteria will not grow if the temp is set too low, and the bad bacteria will out grow the good if it is too high. You will know when the bad bacteria have taken over the milk with bad, pungent smell or mold on the surface.
#371 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 05:04 PM

greencat-Thank you so much for that recipe! I'm so thankful for all the support here on MDC

#372 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=mum2be;7644054 much more fun to just mush it around the tray.
Well, the next day the tiny pieces of carrot came out in her poo. They were just as they were when they went in.

I know you all told me not to feed her, but dh was up my back about this, which just added to the other things and I couldn't take it anymore. He's already pissed at me for bf'ing her, so I just went ahead and let her have the carrots. Hopefully I haven't screwed her up anymore...[/QUOTE]

First of all: hugs.

I think the reason why carrots came out as they went is is because she didn't chew them and just swallowed them and therefore they didn't digest and came right out as they came in.
It happens to my son as well. He ate quinoa the other day without chewing, just swallowed it and I saw it all in his poop later that afternoon.
#373 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I steamed some organic carrots really, really well. Cut them into tiny little pieces (people on MDC seem to be against pureed foods, so I went this route) and let her go at it. She didn't really seem all that impressed and after about 3-4 tiny pieces that she got in her mouth, she decided it would be much more fun to just mush it around the tray.

I know you all told me not to feed her, but dh was up my back about this, which just added to the other things and I couldn't take it anymore. He's already pissed at me for bf'ing her, so I just went ahead and let her have the carrots. Hopefully I haven't screwed her up anymore...
i've BTDT, and know how much pressure family can give you. my dh wouldn't read anything, barely listened, and just pretended that if he didn't acknowledge the problem it would go away (his approach to pretty much everything). when i would go to work on the weekend, he would go to my IL's, where he'd hand dd1 over to his mother, and the 2 of them would sabotage any trial/eliminations. after a while (MONTHS) they got better, but before then i'd hear "well there was only a LITTLE milk/whatever in it." and the frustrating thing was that often dd1 would sleep BETTER that night, maybe because she was getting different foods that she didn't usually get (dh is Indian, so she'd get iddly sambar, appams, etc...), and the defrosted milk she drank was from a few weeks previously and so also had different proteins in it than i was putting out currently, since i wouldn't be eating exactly the same thing as the day i pumped it.

i also now think that if the allergies are IgG (not the anaphalctic type), a little exposure now and then might be better than total elimination. i'm fuzzy on what i've read/the science behind this (bluets?). this stuff is so complicated, and like with most things the body of knowledge conflicts with itself regularly, and is just the tip of the iceberg. i mean, if one's body is hanging onto proteins (in storage, so to speak) for years, just to keep a template upon which to make antibodies in the future, what hope is there for a total elimination of something (=not eating it for months/years) to allow "growing out of" an allergy to occur? there must be something else going on, like the T1 T2 stuff, some sort of shift in how the body is approaching things.

and the stress of trying to "fix" the problem: constant trial, error, controling every bite you/dd takes, fighting with saboteurs... that weakens your immune system too, and the kids pick up on your stress. i've never eliminated rice, because dh refuses to support that, he eats it daily, so do the kids. i sometimes wonder if dd1's eczema would go away if i did, but how long would i have to eliminate it? and what would we eat to replace it? if she reacts to that too, then there'd be no change. and/or the IL's would sabotage (and dh too, probably), so then the elimination would fail to change things, so would that mean rice is ok for her, or just that we didn't eliminate it well enough. lots of stress for small chance of a "cure."

i started dd1 on solids (?rice cereal, which has soy lecithin) at 6 mos due to pressure, and she tolerated them badly (fussy, latched all night, gassy, target sign, mucus poop...). held off again until about 9 mos, when she tolerated them better. mostly squash, potato, yam/sweet potato, rice, barley, chard, peas, green beans, canned/cooked dried beans, beets, parsnips (not carrots for a long time since i thought she reacted to them), chicken (dh would make chicken soup with these, and i'd freeze portions in baby food jars), applesauce, softened/mashed fruits (no berries), avocado... i'm hazy at this point as to others. this variety was worked up to slowly over ?4-6mos.

i wouldn't worry too much about the lack of digestion going on. i think that's the way it is for most babies. i take it as a sign that babies really shouldn't be eating much before 9-12mos, because they don't have the teeth to chew it up into something digestible, and that probably reflects on their gut's ability to digest it either. but remember, babies put EVERYTHING in their mouths, and it's a sensory exploration most of the time. nobody says "she's hungry" when your baby puts pebbles in her mouth (very common when teething, molars especially). but at the dinner table, the only "toys" available are the food. you might want to start her on something that isn't a "staple" for you (=you eat it infrequently, say <once a week), so it's less likely to be something she reacts to. you can use this to your advantage in placating those who want to feed her: if it goes through intact, then she isn't being exposed to much of it (since it's only the surface of each chunk available to her).

at 6mos dd1 ate the bottom of a cardboard price tag (the part that comes off at a perforation so you can hide the price tidily at xmas). it came out intact; slightly damp, but still quite legible. both my kids (granted, not examples of steller digestion) sent out identifiable, properly colored chunks until >a year, after their molars came. you should have seen the pomegranite seeds: whole, shiny and ready to be served!

my signature is usually illegible
#374 of 479 Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 PM

Janelovesmax and formerluddite- Thanks sooo much. Your posts really helped me. It's nerve wracking making decisions that could determine whether she's going to be allergic to foods for her entire life! I don't want to! I turn to MDC a lot for those kinds of questions because I literally can't make them myself. Then I have all these people in my life who are pressuring me to do certain things, SO many people who think all of this is in my head (I can't even tell you how much that hurts), etc. that I just want to throw up my arms and say, "okay...you win! Happy now? I give up!"

Another question about poo...

Dd has pretty much always had bad mucus in her poo, but sometimes there are little dark green specks. Is that normal in BF babies? I thought it was weird because it's not like she's eating anything, so what could cause it to sometimes happen? Are there dark green specks coming out in my BM?

I'm hoping it's not blood. I even mushed one around a bit to see if it would turn red or something, but it stayed dark green.

Any ideas?

#375 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
It's nerve wracking making decisions that could determine whether she's going to be allergic to foods for her entire life! I don't want to! I turn to MDC a lot for those kinds of questions because I literally can't make them myself. Then I have all these people in my life who are pressuring me to do certain things, SO many people who think all of this is in my head (I can't even tell you how much that hurts), etc. that I just want to throw up my arms and say, "okay...you win! Happy now? I give up!"
I can totally relate. Sometimes I'm so confused and overwhelmed that I just want the knowledgeable MDCers to tell me what to do. They know so much more than the doc and other professional "experts" out there. I think my dh thinks that I overreact and over analyze. It's hard when you aren't fully understood or supported by those closest to you. Ds1 has bad eczema on his bottom and thighs. I want to try eliminating dairy and/or wheat but because ds1 is 3yo (last Tues ) and that's the majority of what he eats (another red flag to me) dh thinks we need to wait until he's older and should see the dermatologist for answers and meds I really struggle with trying to do what I feel is in the best interest of my children and ot alienating and excluding my husband.
#376 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
i've been wondering something:

sometimes an indiction of an allergy is NOT liking a certain food. other times an indication is loving, craving, getting high on (beta endorphins), eating nothing BUT a certain food.

anyone know why? is one IgE and the other IgG? or something?

the craving thing makes it very hard to know when craving is a sign of a nutrient depletion (=good to eat the food) vs a sign of allergy (= bad to eat it).
I'd like to know, too! I think that in most cases, if you are healthy and without allergies, a food craving, for a whole food (not candy etc.) is a sign of a need for a nutrient in it, but if you are less than healthy and have intolerances/allergies, a food craving is nearly always a sign it's bad for you.
I wish that I could trust my body to know what it needs and tell me. Maybe it does and I'm just not listening?

You can also do an energy test -- have someone pull on your arm as you resist (hold it either down by your side or out at a 45 degree angle from your body perpendicular to the floor) without the food in your hand, then
with the food and compare whether your arm is weaker or stronger. This can be thrown off by your own perceptions though, so ideally you put a bunch of different foods in identical containers and then only reveal what's in them after you do the test. Does that make sense? It's described in detail in the book "Energy Medicine" by Donna Eden. It's basically applied kinesiology (sp?) but done at home. You can do it in the store, too, if you want, actually.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#377 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 AM

I think the carrots not being digested is fairly common, even in an older child. For a long time, that how ds's poos would be. I think it's only been in the past year or so, after he turned three, that he's really been digesting his food more thoughly (but he's still clearly got problems, because he had a mucous poo this morning).

I think JaneS found that her ds could only digest carrots if they were braised for a long time in chicken broth, then the broth evaporated into a sauce.

The dark green in the poo -- not sure about that, but I think it's a sign of a food intolerance.

#378 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethmelner View Post
I put my 2 year old son on the 1st stage of Breaking the Vicious Cycle diet in order to heal his leaky gut. After two days of being on it, his poop went from runny w/ undigested food to harder extremely dark (almost black) poop. This has been going on for about 1 1/2 weeks. Before the diet, he was pooping 3-5 times a day and it was always a nasty blowout with food particles still present. He now poops this dark, black poop about once a day.

Any thoughts on why his poop has changed so drastically? Should I be concerned? Have others experienced this same change when trying to heal the gut? Another bit of info., he is on a muti vitamin that has iron in it, which I hear can also turn your stools black. He started taking the vitamins the same time he started the diet. Also, he's been eating quite a bit of homemade gelatin w/ grape juice, which is quite dark. Not sure if this would affect the stool color though.

Please share your insights with me! Thanks!
I would vote for the vitamin, because the diet shouldn't cause it to turn black. The vitamin probably also is causing his poop to dry up, as many can do that. The iron in most multivitamins is not in a very absorbable form, and in fact iron supplements are not SCD legal -- have you see the (very short) list of SCD legal supplements on pecanbread? I went with Freda for awhile, now I just take some minerals, sodium ascorbate, and cod liver oil. For iron, you can give him liver, if he will eat it. There is a recipe in BTVC for liver pate that isn't too bad.

#379 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
From my searches on past posts, I decided to get this one. I heard good things about it and I loved the fact that the jars are glass. Haven't tried it yet though, as it's still being shipping but I'm hoping it will be as good as everyone says!
I am curious to hear how it works out for you. I gave up after two failed attempted, but I really like the glass idea too. I've gone back to making it the old fashioned way in the huge pots that I saw them being made in as a child.
#380 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 AM

So I have been reading everyone's stories and from what I read lately and also before it sounds like many of you have done the TED, it worked, only to have dc become sensitive to the foods in the TED. Then you switched to something like SCD, candida or TF, rotation diets or whatever you felt would be best?
I am on the TED right now, because eliminating the top eight and a few more for about two months didn't seem to help that much. Now dd's skin is looking better, but she still has some eczema (it used to be ALL OVER her body, so this is better) and rashes/hive type things (teeny bumps here and there. Yeast?). But I am nervous that she might get sensitive to something like sweet potato, which I eat everyday now. I wanted to do this to find out what she reacts to, because aside from a few things I don't know what the heck she is still getting that is messing her up. That makes me nervous about nuts and eggs in scd.
Now I just read that a little bit of exposure is better than total elimination. And what is this of your body "holding on" to proteins?

Also, I don't seem to really have digestive issues. Occasional bloating and gas, but I can't seem to figure out what foods cause it. It is so random. So I don't even know what would be best for me. I obviously have a leaky gut, because dd reacts to what I eat.

Oh, and mum2be, we just found out that dd reacts to cooked carrots. :
Also, I don't know if you can have coconut, but coconut milk makes great yogurt.
#381 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
So I have been reading everyone's stories and from what I read lately and also before it sounds like many of you have done the TED, it worked, only to have dc become sensitive to the foods in the TED. Then you switched to something like SCD, candida or TF, rotation diets or whatever you felt would be best?
I am on the TED right now, because eliminating the top eight and a few more for about two months didn't seem to help that much. Now dd's skin is looking better, but she still has some eczema (it used to be ALL OVER her body, so this is better) and rashes/hive type things (teeny bumps here and there. Yeast?). But I am nervous that she might get sensitive to something like sweet potato, which I eat everyday now. I wanted to do this to find out what she reacts to, because aside from a few things I don't know what the heck she is still getting that is messing her up. That makes me nervous about nuts and eggs in scd.
Now I just read that a little bit of exposure is better than total elimination. And what is this of your body "holding on" to proteins?

Also, I don't seem to really have digestive issues. Occasional bloating and gas, but I can't seem to figure out what foods cause it. It is so random. So I don't even know what would be best for me. I obviously have a leaky gut, because dd reacts to what I eat.

Oh, and mum2be, we just found out that dd reacts to cooked carrots. :
Also, I don't know if you can have coconut, but coconut milk makes great yogurt.

I went on the TED too and dd (or I...who knows how this one works...) started reacting to my only source of protein (this happened three times). I didn't know that could happen until I started reading more and more on MDC. I wish I had known about rotating foods back then...Now I am eating more things (although I eat some sort of rice product everyday) and trying to rotate them as much as possible, especially the meat.

I don't know what diet to turn to next, because like you, I don't have any digestive symptoms other than the occasional gas and constipation. No signs of yeast, but I am waiting to hear the results on my organic acids test.

The only problems I have are eczema and acne. I believe both are caused by my hormonal imbalances, because they came on in the pregnancy and went away completely for two weeks after the birth, when progesterone is high. (My progesterone is VERY low now.)

I think my limited diet has probably done me more harm. Sometimes I wish I could turn back the clock and have never done the IgG testing during my pregnancy, never eliminated all those foods during month 6, and just see what would have happened. If it weren't for dd's mucus poo, chunky spit up and excess gas at night, I would have never suspected a food allergy/intolerance.

I also feel that avoiding these foods is going to make her body go into "freak out mode" when she finally consumes a bit of wheat, etc. Like if I just kept having raw goat's milk (the last thing she has reacted to and pretty much the only dairy I've had while pregnant or nursing, other than sheep's cheese) would her reactions eventually get less and less or more and more?

Aah...I just wish there was some concrete info on all of this and it wasn't up to us to figure it all out...:

#382 of 479 Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Now I just read that a little bit of exposure is better than total elimination.
i speculated this, based on reading a whole bunch, lots of it links posted by JaneS and bluets, lots of people's experiences, and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part, since total elimination is so hard to do of the common allergens, precisely because they end up in everything with more than a few ingredients, all food prep places are "contaminated" with them (restaurants, etc.), and so on.

Quote:
And what is this of your body "holding on" to proteins?
i can't remember what i read that left this sticking in my mind. i'm not sure if researchers actually found food proteins in a person's blood who hadn't eaten that food in years, or if they were postulating a theory as to why someone would continue to react. but the immune system already does this with virus particles, etc.; keeps a bit around to use as a template to make new antibodies with.

sorry it's all so mushy. makes one wish for a nice uncomplicated broken leg or something (but i guess even that's complicated when it's your leg).

my signature is usually illegible
#383 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Now dd's skin is looking better, but she still has some eczema (it used to be ALL OVER her body, so this is better) and rashes/hive type things (teeny bumps here and there. Yeast?).

are you taking evening primrose oil? any other EFAs?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#384 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 05:40 AM

My ds is 4 months old and for the past 3-4 weeks he has been having green poops. I wasn't too worried about this at first because he wasn't having any other problems or symptoms. The past week he has been having painful poops where he cries and pushes so hard for 15-30 mins. It comes and it is green, seedy and has some mucous. After that he seems fine. He is also waking up alot at night and will not totally wake, but thrash around alot and I bf him back to sleep.

He is EBF and fed on demand. I have also already thought about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I hate to see him in pain. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Can gut yeast cause pain? I am going to start eliminating dairy as of today.
#385 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongoddess176 View Post
My ds is 4 months old and for the past 3-4 weeks he has been having green poops. I wasn't too worried about this at first because he wasn't having any other problems or symptoms. The past week he has been having painful poops where he cries and pushes so hard for 15-30 mins. It comes and it is green, seedy and has some mucous. After that he seems fine. He is also waking up alot at night and will not totally wake, but thrash around alot and I bf him back to sleep.

He is EBF and fed on demand. I have also already thought about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I hate to see him in pain. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Can gut yeast cause pain? I am going to start eliminating dairy as of today.
flip through this thread and look for the dairy free infant probiotics for your ds and adult probiotics for you. (though they don't actually say "adult" probiotics - that's the default! the infant ones DO say "infant")

#386 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 03:40 PM

I've just started reading this thread and have a couple of questions. I've been doing TED with my five month old for about five weeks. I have not been able to successfully introduce anything back in yet, mostly because I started with oatmeal and he began reacting to it after 6 or 7 days and I didn't pick up on it so it threw everything else off.

He's greatly improved since I've been on this, but still has some issues, like having trouble passing gas/pooping, sometimes thrashing around in pain and only walking him around draped over my shoulder or in the kangaroo hold calms him down.

I guess my question is, should I try a different approach? I'm considering getting some Solaray Babylife for him, and I want to start drinking kefir. Would those things help or hurt? I've had IBS off and on for years, so I imagine that I've contributed to this problem, not to mention that I got iv antibiotics after he was born for ruptured membranes.

Any ideas? TIA.

<>< Alison
#387 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
I've just started reading this thread and have a couple of questions. I've been doing TED with my five month old for about five weeks. I have not been able to successfully introduce anything back in yet, mostly because I started with oatmeal and he began reacting to it after 6 or 7 days and I didn't pick up on it so it threw everything else off.

He's greatly improved since I've been on this, but still has some issues, like having trouble passing gas/pooping, sometimes thrashing around in pain and only walking him around draped over my shoulder or in the kangaroo hold calms him down.

I guess my question is, should I try a different approach? I'm considering getting some Solaray Babylife for him, and I want to start drinking kefir. Would those things help or hurt? I've had IBS off and on for years, so I imagine that I've contributed to this problem, not to mention that I got iv antibiotics after he was born for ruptured membranes.

Any ideas? TIA.
I'm sure you'll get a response from someone more knowledgeable than me but I'll get you started. Definitely get the probiotics for him as soon as possible and some for you, too. Kefir (water until you successfully reintroduce dairy) would be great for you, as well as fermented foods. I'll bow out now and let the experts step in.
#388 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM

I wanted to add a link to the thread I had started in the allergy forum so you could read the original story if anyone was interested:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...68&postcount=1

<>< Alison
#389 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Last week was an interesting week for me. Ds1's birthday was on Tuesday and of couse I had to make a cake (and birthday brownies). I tried not to eat too much of the batter as it had wheat, eggs, butter and buttermilk in it but I've always been a batter/bowl licker so it was really hard. I thought ds2 might react (gas, fussy, refluxy) but he didn't. Thursday I made cream cheese frosting (raw butter and reg. store bought cream cheese and iced ds1's cupcake cake, very messy, again much more sampling then I should have done. Still no reaction. Friday I had a cupcake, quite a bit of icing, some chocolate chip cheesecake and I've had an icing-free cupcake every day since. He doesn't seem to be having any problems (although I may have to reconsider my sugar intake because I'm getting bad cravings for it). He's a little over 5 months, adjusted for his prematurity. Could it be that his gut is sealing and now he's just not as reactive? Or am I jumping the gun and setting him up for future trouble?

I've also realized that, other than oats, wheat and peanuts, the foods that seemed to bother him were high in sulfur (broccoli- didn't even try related foods like cauliflower and cabbage, coconut, eggs, lots of garlic). I'm not sure what to make of that connection, if anything.
#390 of 479 Old 03-26-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrid View Post

Any ideas? TIA.
you need to focus on healing yourself first - baby will follow.

read the cheat sheet/sticky and then start considering your options, which are many... testing for leaky gut, allergies etc.; variety of diet choices (SCD, rotational, candida, failsafe, etc) and a variety of supplements to boost your healing.

i'd RUN -not walk- to get your hands on some good organic chickens, beef, ham bones, etc. and start making bone broths. they will contain many many nourishing nutrients that will facilitate healing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page