Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
I feel so discouraged right now with trying to HTG.

Right now I'm on no wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, shellfish, tomatoes and beans, dd is getting probiotics x2 a day, has had craniosacral/reiki sessions, and I'm taking vits, omegas, CLO, drinking kefir and kombucha and yet her poop is still greenish ALWAYS.

She is also teething really badly so has been getting some Hyland's (dairy, I know - ugh!) and getting usually Tylenol x1 a day so that she can get some sleep at night (otherwise she wakes up every 15 minutes). Of course, I had to have some minor surgery on my feet and have ended up with an infection as well so am probably headed towards antibiotics and have been taking ibuprofen. #$@(%(#U!!!

I think that I'm probably going to start TED next weekend and am crossing my fingers hoping that it will help to calm things down.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Sometimes I just feel like I'm not making any headway whatsoever and that this will never get better. Shouldn't we be seeing some sort of improvement by now?

I was also curious about another question as well. Dd is only 5 months old and so starting solids are still a loooong way off (I want to wait as long as possible anyway because I have so many food allergies) but am nervous about how starting solids might impact the work that we've done on her gut. I'm really hoping that things will be better by then though. Thoughts?

I hear ya. I feel the same way. I wonder if I should go back on the TED too, but I'm not sure my body could take it again. I feel like we are getting nowhere. Isn't this frustrating?? Don't you wish there was some doctor out there who could do all the research and give us answers we desperately need?!

Ugh...that's all I have to say. Sorry things are so tough for you

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but can some one explain what is TED ?
Total Elimination Diet (basically you eat about four foods, like turkey, rice, and a couple more...I haven't done it so I'm not real familiar with it).
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:22 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
I feel so discouraged right now with trying to HTG.

Right now I'm on no wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, shellfish, tomatoes and beans, dd is getting probiotics x2 a day, has had craniosacral/reiki sessions, and I'm taking vits, omegas, CLO, drinking kefir and kombucha and yet her poop is still greenish ALWAYS.

She is also teething really badly so has been getting some Hyland's (dairy, I know - ugh!) and getting usually Tylenol x1 a day so that she can get some sleep at night (otherwise she wakes up every 15 minutes). Of course, I had to have some minor surgery on my feet and have ended up with an infection as well so am probably headed towards antibiotics and have been taking ibuprofen. #$@(%(#U!!!

I think that I'm probably going to start TED next weekend and am crossing my fingers hoping that it will help to calm things down.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Sometimes I just feel like I'm not making any headway whatsoever and that this will never get better. Shouldn't we be seeing some sort of improvement by now?

I was also curious about another question as well. Dd is only 5 months old and so starting solids are still a loooong way off (I want to wait as long as possible anyway because I have so many food allergies) but am nervous about how starting solids might impact the work that we've done on her gut. I'm really hoping that things will be better by then though. Thoughts?
Have you looked into food chemical sensitivities? I think most people who react to tomatoes probably aren't allergic/intolerant to the tomatoes per se, but to the food chemicals in them...tomatoes are high in amines, salicylates, and some other food chemical, too.

I can't say my DD's done a whole lot of healing (for every symptom that goes away it seems another one pops up), but it didn't seem like starting solids really affected her other than making her eczema flare up (probably because I was feeding her coconut oil which she reacted to but it took me months to figure that out). I started her on solids at around 8 1/2 months, took her off them for a month a few weeks later, started them back up, and then took her off again from 10.5 to 12.5 months. She was eating a ton when I finally started them again and had some very stinky stools for a while, but I gave her digestive enzymes with meals and that seemed to fix the problem--now her stools smell okay even when I don't give her enzymes.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Thanks JaneS for your insight. I guess now it's knowing where to go from here...

Dd's poops are getting much worse. I haven't really changed my diet, but her poops are SO incredibly mucusy. It's disgusting!! She is getting a teaspoon of probtiotics a day (bifidus-Natren) but I'm wondering if because they claim they are dairy-free, but then say they could contain traces of dairy or soy : So I don't know what to do now.

She did have about a month and a half of really good poops (no mucus!) after I had been on the TED for 2.5 months. Then the mucus got much worse the more I added in. I honestly don't know if I can take the TED again. I'm already a size 0 and I know I will lose weight on it. I was only eating around 1,000 calories a day for 4 months...

She has been consistently gaining weight all along. Usually she's gained 1-2 pounds a month. She was 16.4 lbs about a month and a half ago. She's 16.15 lbs now. So her weight gain has slowed. Not a whole lot, but when I'm worried about my milk supply, anything that points to her not getting enough worries me! Does weight gain slow around month 6?

What should I do about the mucus? If something is irritating her, the longer it does, the worse she will be in the long run, right?

Also, what the heck is the mucus? Is it the lining of her intestine?
You could try stopping the probiotics for a bit to see if her stools improve. Did they change at all when you started feeding her solids?

Really the TED is only designed to be done briefly...like do it for a couple of weeks and then add foods in. If you don't have excess weight to lose, you definitely don't want to be on it for long periods of time.

Maybe it would be worth it for you to try the Failsafe elimination diet for a couple of weeks. I've been lurking there quite a bit and there's been some talk lately of how salicylate intolerance can possibly lead to the development of food allergies (even to foods that don't contain salicylates). Or maybe you could consider a rotational diet again--she might react a lot less if you're eating each food only once or twice a week.

You could also try giving her slippery elm bark powder, which is supposed to be good for the gut and very nourishing. I gave it to my DD for a while. Just mix a Tbsp or so of it with enough water or BM to make a baby-cereal consistency mush. You could add a bit of juice for flavoring if you wanted/it was tolerated, too.

I'm sorry things just aren't improving for you--I know how frustrating that is. Wish I had something else to suggest!
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning on starting the Failsafe elimination diet on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm going to try to do it without grains for at least a week or two, or with only white rice, as I've been having IBS-type symptoms from unsoaked grains (I've tried brown rice, millet, wild rice, and buckwheat and had major gas, bloating, diarrhea, and an upset stomach). Part of me really hopes it works since I'm pretty much done with attempts to heal the gut if it doesn't--I don't know of anything else to try, and frankly I'm tired of trying. But part of me hopes it doesn't work so I don't have to constantly worry about what foods to eat and not being able to eat tomatoes, salads, aged meat, and spices!

We've been visiting relatives for the last 10 days or so and I've been feeding DD a lot of fruit and some rice flour baked goods...figured nothing else was working so it wasn't going to do any harm to let her eat things I don't normally let her have. Her eczema has flared up a bit but in a weird way--her cheeks are kind of red but her skin feels fairly soft. She is sleeping horribly, though, so I think the fruit is negatively affecting her. It sure has been nice to be able to eat a lot of fruit, though!
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
You could try stopping the probiotics for a bit to see if her stools improve. Did they change at all when you started feeding her solids?

Really the TED is only designed to be done briefly...like do it for a couple of weeks and then add foods in. If you don't have excess weight to lose, you definitely don't want to be on it for long periods of time.

Maybe it would be worth it for you to try the Failsafe elimination diet for a couple of weeks. I've been lurking there quite a bit and there's been some talk lately of how salicylate intolerance can possibly lead to the development of food allergies (even to foods that don't contain salicylates). Or maybe you could consider a rotational diet again--she might react a lot less if you're eating each food only once or twice a week.

You could also try giving her slippery elm bark powder, which is supposed to be good for the gut and very nourishing. I gave it to my DD for a while. Just mix a Tbsp or so of it with enough water or BM to make a baby-cereal consistency mush. You could add a bit of juice for flavoring if you wanted/it was tolerated, too.

I'm sorry things just aren't improving for you--I know how frustrating that is. Wish I had something else to suggest!

Her stools have always been a mess and it's hard to tell if they got worse when I started the probiotics because the mucus worsens every now and then and I can never pinpoint it.

She is not eating solids. She had about 5 pieces of carrot (really mashed, but not pureed) and they came out whole in her poops. She hasn't had anything else and doesn't show interested in food anymore since the carrot trial, so delaying will be easier now.

We checked the slippery elm with the kinesiologist and she said it was harmful, but wasn't beneficial either. She said the L-glutamine was 100% beneficial, so I am now giving her 1/2 teaspoon a day with her probiotics in the morning.
So it's okay to mix a little juice in there too? I can't imagine glutamine, probiotics and water are too tastey! What kind of juice would be good? I'm talking like 1/4 of a teaspoon only mixed, just to add some flavor. I react to grape juice (gives me headaches...).

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Her stools have always been a mess and it's hard to tell if they got worse when I started the probiotics because the mucus worsens every now and then and I can never pinpoint it.

She is not eating solids. She had about 5 pieces of carrot (really mashed, but not pureed) and they came out whole in her poops. She hasn't had anything else and doesn't show interested in food anymore since the carrot trial, so delaying will be easier now.

We checked the slippery elm with the kinesiologist and she said it was harmful, but wasn't beneficial either. She said the L-glutamine was 100% beneficial, so I am now giving her 1/2 teaspoon a day with her probiotics in the morning.
So it's okay to mix a little juice in there too? I can't imagine glutamine, probiotics and water are too tastey! What kind of juice would be good? I'm talking like 1/4 of a teaspoon only mixed, just to add some flavor. I react to grape juice (gives me headaches...).
if i recall, glutamine has little taste. the probiotics ought to be a little sweet. i'd try first with just water - heck, *I* would taste it before i gave it to ds. you'd be surprised what kids will scarf down...

(my ds is a major sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, sauerkraut and olive addict right now, with goji berry chasers. but he won't eat almonds. cashews - yes, but almonds no. oh and he loooooves the cinnamon CLO. he prefers his probiotics DRY off the spoon.)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope all of you ladies get this figured out. I am about ready to give up myself. DS's poops are a lot better, unless he eats a ton of fruit. We did SCD for a year, and have slowly added back in grains, but are still mostly gluten free. He does get a bit of sugar now and then now...

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 AM
 
greencat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Caedmyn: Thanks for the explanation of what TED is. And, let me add a short story of my experience with SCD for you and Pookietooth. I hope my story will consider you to stay on SCD.

I started SCD when my dd was 3.5 years old. (she is now 5.5) It took me a good 8mo. to comply 100%, with occasional illegal ingredient. In time we were getting very good results, along with a use of digestive enzyme: No constipation, no tummy ache, no eczema and good sleep at night.

Then, we got off SCD last year because we got too busy with building a new house, cleaning the old house, selling the old house, packing, moving, etc. Well, it took us two months of bad diet to loose all I have done before the move. The kids were starting to loose weight, looking pale and began to have eczema again with foods they over came, like fruits, red foods (salicytes) and eggs. That was when I realized to start makeing SCD yogurt and SCD bread again. So, I did, like a mad scientist (but, in my new kitchen ) I was very fearful that they were going to get sick, and won't be able to get over it with their weakened immune system.

Well, it has been about 6mo. since we got back on SCD. My new house is sill full of boxes, but the kids just cleared on all eczema, and starting to sleep better at nights. We still avoid fruits, but pare, berries or kiwi in the morning if they eat any. And, we still have a lot of foods that we can't eat within the SCD legal foods (ripe banana, grapes, raisins, dates, coconut flakes, honey, too much carrots, etc.) However, the kids are now sleeping better at nights, no constipation, no stuttering, but a daily BM and beautiful skin.

SCD is hard. A matter of fact, one of the hardest diets I know (I used to be a diet counselor) because of the cooking involved. The very few moms I met from Autism support group in my area had all quit (just GFCF). I feel there is few support even on line, since people are new to SCD or won't stay long enough to see the benefit. I strongly hope that you will consider staying on the SCD as much as possible, and get back on it when you can. (So we can share the glory together later.) Remember, the gut heals very slowly and progress are not very easily visible (that is until you get off the diet.)

Here is another reason you may want to stay on SCD. We live in Iowa where weather is rather humid in a spring with lots of rain and through out the summer (the very reason why moldy corns grows well here.) My DS had seizure from a spike of a high temperature when he was one years old. Then, again last year for the second time, both around this time of the year. He is having a cold, and running a temperature again, this year (with days of rain.) I was very fearful of him having another seizure. He did not have much of an appetite either, but ate SCD yogurt twice a day. He still has the cough and runny nose today, but no temp and no seizure.

I also wondered why we still have some symptoms of yeast over growth; like a bad breath and redness under the penis when my DS eats too much carrots, etc? We are on the hard core SCD now with no honey, banana, carrots, etc, and I feel we are still at the tip of the scale on "Over growth,” as if the yeast had grown the resistance. A matter of fact, I found some article on yeast growing resistance. I don't really understand how, and which kind, but I feel getting off the SCD was part of a reason why we are having a harder time to control yeast. I don’t think this damp weather helps our situation either...

If anyone has some insights, please write.
greencat is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Um...this is kinda weird, but I took a picture of dd's poop and I'm just wondering if I should post it and see if it's the typical "allergic reaction" type poop or something else.

FYI: they smell disgusting...like make me gag disgusting...don't know how to describe it though.
It could be any kind of bad bacteria. My DS had Klebsiella and Proteus and Citrobacter (detected on stool tests) at different times.
JaneS is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greencat,

Are you doing any other probiotics than yogurt? what kind of starter?

What about digestive enzymes with and between meals?

The biggest beef I have with SCD for small kids is the food allergy issue. A leaky gut + immature immune system = automatic food allergies in our experience.

PapayaVagina,

Please stop the Tylenol, that is SO bad for the digestive lining. I know you want to beat me over the head for saying that... b/c I've so been there with the sleeping issues ... but I think that is one of the early mistakes we made too. What about some homeopathics in water instead of lactose base? Boiron makes Camillia and Colic ones.
JaneS is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Um...this is kinda weird, but I took a picture of dd's poop and I'm just wondering if I should post it and see if it's the typical "allergic reaction" type poop or something else.

FYI: they smell disgusting...like make me gag disgusting...don't know how to describe it though.


PM it to Teresa!
JaneS is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
 
greencat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Jane; good to hear from you.

We do the SCD 24hr. yogurt from organic (store bought) goat milk for my DD5, and nut yogurt for my DS3. I use starter called "ProGurt." I also sprinkle one cap of ProBio or Metagenic's Dairy Free probiotics on the yogurt.

I am waiting for my veg. pickle maker (a container with special lids) and the starter in the mail, so I can add more rotten foods to our regime. I am still intimidated about Kefier... but looking into coconut Kefier.

The hardest thing in the state of IOWA is to find raw milk. The dairy industry/corporation had made sure the farmers of Iowa were not to speak of raw milk years ago. My kids are now getting more tolerable to dairy, I have been searching, but with not much of luck.

We are just starting with the enzymes b/w the meals in small doses, since they tend to constipate if I give them too much.

I chose SCD because we ate a lot of rice and soy products which were constipating factor for us. And, my son had seizures (due to a sudden rise of temp) and I wanted a diet that was aware of issues of immune system, seizure and Autism (I have been dx with LD and ADD, and my kids stuttered.) At most, I like the SCD yogurt. I also like some of the idea from Nourishing Tradition and Eating of Garden, but not very familiar with their ingredients and eating raw meat, etc. I do cook soup bones accordingly, though.

Anyway, I am also venturing out with Natto, sea vegg and dried fish broth that are SCD illegal. I just wanted to start with a solid concept to follow with.
greencat is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
greencat--we did the SCD for almost 3 months and saw very little improvement, so I don't think it was going to work for us. Plus DD is intolerant to so many of the foods on it that it would be pretty difficult now (no nuts, eggs, coconut oil, or dairy).

Have you looked at the Failsafe diet at all? It is possible to do that and the SCD...if you know your kids react to high salicylate or high phenol foods that might be something to consider to help get on top of the yeast.


mum2be--it'd be better not to give your DD juice if she's not getting solids, unless that's the only way you can get her to take the probiotics/etc...you could always try mixing them with BM if she doesn't like them mixed with water.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
 
acupuncturemomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the right place to ask:
I need help choosing probiotics for my 7-month-old.

I'm sure she needs them; she's just getting over a little bout of diarrhea/mucusy poop, and is now pooping more often than usual.
Also, she was put in the NICU at 5 hours old and placed on IV antibiotics for one day (that's another story--one that still breaks my heart)...

Anyway, we did give her Jarrodophilus after the NICU, but now I'm worried that may have been a really bad call, as it does say on the bottle that it contains dairy and soy (that brand didn't used to say that, if I remember correctly). Did we mess up her gut? I'm so sad about it, and now unsure which brand of probiotics to use. Even the infant Jarrodophilus contains dairy!

Is there anything I can do to counteract the dairy/soy that she ingested so early on? I'm worried about it since it's recommended for babies to avoid soy & dairy until they're 12+ months old.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09
 

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
acupuncturemomma is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
 
greencat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
caedmyn: I will look into the Falsesafe diet. Thank you.

And, regarding SCD, we also started with a long list of foods that resulted in cry outs, tummy ache, eczema, stuttering, diaper rash, chronic constipation, interrupted sleep at nights, etc. I won’t deny SCD is hard, and you don’t see the results right a way. Often, you see the benefit after you get off the SCD (because your condition will worsen.)

When I read the book, “Breaking the Vicious Cycle,” the concept hit me like a lightening bolt: I believed in her concept. Yet, I think one of the biggest reasons I was able to do it so long is due to the fact that I am a stay-at-home mom, and we did the SCD as a family, with very supportive husband. It worked for us since I was still nursing my son, and my first born was not yet exposed to the attractive “processed” foods. (Not that she was ever going to.) Yeast was an issue from the moment my baby was born, so it was my focus point. The fact I worked as a diet counselor and managed the health food store (including menu plans and cooking) may have been an added bonus, too.

The biggest key to my success was to write down everything we/they ingested. When I made the connect-the-dot with wheat = eczema, finding culprits and strengthening the immune system was my mission (and still is.) So, it became our life style. I excluded synthetic materials out of our life as much as possible, installed air cleaner, went completely organic foods, organic cotton clothes/futon, natural cleaners and personal care products (which I was very familiar with, since I am a former cosmetologist who worked at Aveda Concept Salons) to avoid possible cause of their immune system to be over loaded. Which this was the reason we moved out of our old house, and custom build the current home with no or low VOC material. Since, it took me good 8mo. or so to comply with SCD, and felt comfortable with recipes, figured everything SCD lega/illegall foods, I was yet totally focused with SCD and did not think about including anything new into our diet. I stayed busy finding a way to eat what we can from SCD recipes, do the enzymes religiously and eat SCD yogurt everyday. I was also busy looking at floor plans, choosing the building materials, etc to build the new house. So, staying with the SCD were easier than intorducing something they may end up in cry outs and eczema: I stayed where I knew it was safe for the kids. Which may have elongated the healing period. That is until the closing date came closer.

It has been about six months since we had re-started the SCD. And we are now just starting to see the good results: We can now eat eggs, etc again. Many people give up on GFCF or SCD before the gut had a chance to heal. I think, I've read it can take up to six months for gluten to be completely be out of your sys.

Supplementing with digestive enzyme does help. You just have to be patient about fining the enzyme that helps you the best, the timing to take it and the doses or frequencies that helps you the most. I can’t speak as a fact, but I feel you will better respond to enzymes if your body is free from trigger foods. We were on SCD for a while before we tried enzymes. I attended Karen DeFelci's conference since she lives in Iowa. We made our share of mistakes, but others (Moms of Autistic children) who were not on SCD, but on GFCF seemed to have more bad reactions, especially with wrong enzyme.

The SCD yogurt worked wonder on my kids. I started with SCD nut milk yogurt when my kids couldn't eat cow's or goat's milk. Now my DS3 can eat goat's in moderation.

Another reason why I stuck with the SCD may be due to the fact I had no other place to go to, with a long list of foods that we couldn't eat. SCD gave me ideas, structure and plans in my diet. You may call it a blind faith.

I speak of pro-SCD, but I don't know if SCD will work for all because everyone's gut/immune situation is different, as well as our living condition, weather, medical/dental history; economical situation for buying all these foods and time to prepare the recipes, accessibility to certain foods, like raw milk in my case. Everyone heals differently, too. Matter of fact, now my kids are eczema free, I am focusing on the healing foods that helps probiotics to stick to the gut better. I feel SCD is a bit short on that topic. I am also doing various detox remedies for myself.

SCD is also difficult because you invite questions like "So, what do your kids really eat?","Is it going to cure your condition?","What does your peds say about that?" These lines of questioning often comes from people who are close to your heart. I don't discuss my health care or diet practice with anyone except on line and with my husband anymore: I’m too busy cooking.

If you read the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, and decide to give a go, I highly recommend studying the web site pecanbread.com (both old and the new) throughly.

Greencat
greencat is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 AM
 
newcastlemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone healed their food senstivities? Is there a good book/link/diet for this? I do WAPF diet (minus eggs, dairy, tomatoes, gluten, all grains excpet rice(which will probably have to go) and many more random foods) Right now my diet is mainly meats, broths, veggies, water kefir, kombucha, coconut/olive oil and fruit/honey sparingly.

Caedmyn-I checked out failsafe and the chemicals don't seem to be the issue for me.

Here is the issue. I have Lyme and when I start eating my IgG reactive foods (according to an Immunolabs bloodtest) I don't notice any difference right away but I will get worse arthritis/aches over the course of a few weeks. Tomatoes- I do get a headache right away. And grains do make me feel fat. What I do not understand is how I eat dairy/eggs/ect. foods my whole life without feeling bad, but now I am sensitive to them?

I would love to be able to have either dairy or eggs back in my diet someday. Is it possible? I am so frusterated tat I can't seem to find an answer to this. Even the practioners who ordered my allergy blood test don't seem to get what I am asking.

Thank you,
Jen

I just found this, but there is not that much detail on healing-http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Cure_F...sitivities.htm

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

newcastlemama is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Has anyone healed their food senstivities? Is there a good book/link/diet for this? I do WAPF diet (minus eggs, dairy, tomatoes, gluten, all grains excpet rice(which will probably have to go) and many more random foods) Right now my diet is mainly meats, broths, veggies, water kefir, kombucha, coconut/olive oil and fruit/honey sparingly.

Caedmyn-I checked out failsafe and the chemicals don't seem to be the issue for me.

Here is the issue. I have Lyme and when I start eating my IgG reactive foods (according to an Immunolabs bloodtest) I don't notice any difference right away but I will get worse arthritis/aches over the course of a few weeks. Tomatoes- I do get a headache right away. And grains do make me feel fat. What I do not understand is how I eat dairy/eggs/ect. foods my whole life without feeling bad, but now I am sensitive to them?

I would love to be able to have either dairy or eggs back in my diet someday. Is it possible? I am so frusterated tat I can't seem to find an answer to this. Even the practioners who ordered my allergy blood test don't seem to get what I am asking.

Thank you,
Jen

I just found this, but there is not that much detail on healing-http://www.rwood.com/Articles/Cure_F...sitivities.htm
I think if your gut heals there's a chance you'll be able to do dairy or eggs again...it works that way for some people.

If you have arthritis symptoms, maybe lectins are a problems for you. Here's a link...http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html#Become

When you eat foods that you're sensitive to every day, your body basically has to cope the best it can, so you might have a bunch of tiny symptoms that you don't even realize aren't normal...whereas when you eliminate the food your body stops reacting, so when you suddenly add it back in you see a dramatic reaction. That's what I've read, anyway.

You might try posting your symptoms on either the NN or FailsafeNT yahoo groups--someone named Chris is on those and he is really knowledgeable about different things that can cause different types of reactions. He's the one who helped me figure out that I was reacting to amines.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I think if your gut heals there's a chance you'll be able to do dairy or eggs again...it works that way for some people.

i disagree. i am pretty certain that i react to casein, not because i can't digest it but because when it gets digested, the beta-casomorphin latches onto the opioid receptors elsewhere in my body and makes things go loopy. turns out that gluten has similar proteins (opioid-like peptides) and my current 95% GF diet seems to help me focus a bit more clearly. codeine (an opiate) did really weird things to me the one or two times i took it after major surgery years ago. so, in my own case, i'm pretty sure my reactions are because of my body chemistry to opiates and related compounds. i doubt that any more gut healing will help that out.

i think one really needs to understand one's underlying reason for reactions before one would know if gut healing would wipe away all food reactions. for some (like myself) this is probably pretty straightforward; for others, it is probably not so clear.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i disagree. i am pretty certain that i react to casein, not because i can't digest it but because when it gets digested, the beta-casomorphin latches onto the opioid receptors elsewhere in my body and makes things go loopy. turns out that gluten has similar proteins (opioid-like peptides) and my current 95% GF diet seems to help me focus a bit more clearly. codeine (an opiate) did really weird things to me the one or two times i took it after major surgery years ago. so, in my own case, i'm pretty sure my reactions are because of my body chemistry to opiates and related compounds. i doubt that any more gut healing will help that out.

i think one really needs to understand one's underlying reason for reactions before one would know if gut healing would wipe away all food reactions. for some (like myself) this is probably pretty straightforward; for others, it is probably not so clear.
I think you misunderstood me to be saying that once your gut heals you'll be able to tolerate all foods again, when I was actually saying that for some people gut healing will allow tolerance of some or all foods they previously reacted to. There are a lot of different reasons why someone would react to dairy besides a straight immunological response to casein. In some cases improved nutritional status or liver support might eliminate reactions.
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
In some cases improved nutritional status or liver support might eliminate reactions.
and in other cases, those reactions may still occur. if one has a mutation in a metabolic pathway ( or two or three...) that prevents one's body from breaking down a specific compound (which, when not broken down, causes a variety of allergic style reactions), gut healing will not necessarily help the body cope with those reactions.

at some point, genetics does play a role. if you don't have the metabolic machinery, immune support is only going to have so much mileage.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
What I do not understand is how I eat dairy/eggs/ect. foods my whole life without feeling bad, but now I am sensitive to them?
as caedmyn said, you just may not have noticed that you were sensitive to them before. headaches? skin issues? post nasal drip? recurrent "colds" (sinusitis or otitis media)? digestive issues? all of those are symptoms of food intolerances (they're also symptoms of other conditions, but lots of conditions have overlapping symptoms).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
and in other cases, those reactions may still occur. if one has a mutation in a metabolic pathway ( or two or three...) that prevents one's body from breaking down a specific compound (which, when not broken down, causes a variety of allergic style reactions), gut healing will not necessarily help the body cope with those reactions.

at some point, genetics does play a role. if you don't have the metabolic machinery, immune support is only going to have so much mileage.
I'm not saying that any one thing is a cure-all, or even that all things can be cured! I'm just saying that these are things that might help some people and thus are worth exploring. I'm not trying to imply that that's the case in your situation!
caedmyn is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
 
newcastlemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for responding ladies. I will look into the things mentioned.

I do have a sensitivty to most of the letchin foods! Thank you for the lead Caedmyn! I came back allergic to all the lechin foods listed except peanuts, eggplant and soy. But, I stopped soy when I was a veg because I gave me horrible stomach cramps.

That would make sense that I may not have been noticing reactions when I was eating the stuff all the time. I used to have really bad cat/dog/pollen allergies until I cut out cereal, milk, and sugar. I thought it was the sugar, but it was probably the wheat+dairy. Now I have a St. Bernard, 4 cats, and live in the forest without any of the allergy symptoms (puffy, itchy red eyes, congestion) that I took perscription meds for! I don't struggle with my weight anymore, even though I eat a lot. The more I think about it, I did have low-grade symptoms of food allergies.

Okay. I just need to stop whining and find some more cavewoman meat, nut, and produce recipies

Thank you again,
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

newcastlemama is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Okay. I just need to stop whining and find some more cavewoman meat, nut, and produce recipies

Thank you again,
Jen

if you're ever looking for interesting stuff, firefaery often posts recipes that are raw - very yummy stuff. look in the raw food threads for some ideas, though they're a bunch of vegans so don't expect to find raw meat ideas there! it would definitely cover your veggie, fruit and nut requirements. i'm sure you already know about the Garden of Eating book - isn't that suppsoed to address your cavewoman needs?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks greencat for your experience with the SCD. I am contemplating going on it, but it's so hard with the time it requires for cooking and dd is still so fussy and needs to be entertained constantly. If I even try to clean the dishes, she has a fit and cries the whole time. So I don't know how it would be possible unless I got some pretty heavy duty ear plugs
Also, the expense...since January alone we have over $2,000 worth of medical bills for dd and I that insurance isn't covering. Our grocery bill is high enough with all of the organic, free range, grass fed meats I have to eat. I just don't know how we could swing it in hopes of it making a difference.

So, I beg to differ on the reactions only seeming worse now when we eat a "bad" food because we didn't notice how bad we were feeling before. I was feeling great, then I got pregnant and didn't feel so hot. When I removed the foods confirmed positive on the IgG test, I only felt worse and worse. I know I may be a special case here or something. It seems like the more restricted my diet gets, the worse off I am. Yet dd is still clearly reacting to somethign I am eating, hence the mucus poos and spit ups. But I honestly can't cut out anything else. The hard part is knowing if she's reacting on her own, or if she's reacting to something my body is reacting to, but I don't know I do.

Does that make any sense?

I have to go now as dd is requiring my attention! I have more to write later. I am seeing an internist this afternoon and will let you know what he thinks of all this...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'm not saying that any one thing is a cure-all, or even that all things can be cured! I'm just saying that these are things that might help some people and thus are worth exploring. I'm not trying to imply that that's the case in your situation!
heh - i know what you're saying.

there have been a few queries about "has anyone been healed?" that i'm just tossing this notion of genetics as a real possibility - one that seems to have been overlooked in many of our threads.

there are some who won't be able to be "healed" in this sense, because their genetics and accompanying body chemistry doesn't function that way. healing the gut may boost the immune system and reduce some reactions (like newcastlemama's dog/cat allergies). however, if a myriad of elimination-style diets has yielded only some results and one still reacts to specific foods (most likely a narrow? group with shared features), one should consider genetics as a possible cause - and that those foods are likely going to be mostly verboten. unless, of course, one is prepared to live with (and not complain about) the resulting reaction.

not only do we not know how digestion and the immune system really work, we know just as little about cell metabolism. one of the hottest fields right now for us is "metabolomics" - the intersection of cell metabolism and genomics. if we don't know that much in the fruit fly (a model organism with a distinguished history and about which we know plenty), we probably know even less in humans.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:40 PM
 
newcastlemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
if you're ever looking for interesting stuff, firefaery often posts recipes that are raw - very yummy stuff. look in the raw food threads for some ideas, though they're a bunch of vegans so don't expect to find raw meat ideas there! it would definitely cover your veggie, fruit and nut requirements. i'm sure you already know about the Garden of Eating book - isn't that suppsoed to address your cavewoman needs?
I got the Garden of Eating for Christamas and like it except I disagree with them on fat. I realy like is www.paleofood.com. I like raw too, I just need a lot of meat at this time because I am recovering from anemia.

About the genetics-The nutritonist I am working with says that I may not do well on grains because of my strong Scandinavian ancestry. She also said that they eat a lot of game/fish and maybe that is why a diet higher in meats is working so well for me.

Mum2be-That must be frustrating. I understand what you mean seem to be getting more senstive even though your diet is stricter. I don't know why it happens though.
I was re-reading some of Nutrion and Physical Degeneration and some people lived on very limited diets, especially far north native americans. I have been thinking--why did they not develop sensitvities to they repeated meats, nuts, fruits? Or the Isolated Swiss to the stapes of dairy and rye? All I can tink is 1)They were not dealing with modern toxins 2) They were born with very good guts-passed on from their mother, then nurse, then given the highest quality of foods 3) They were eating the foods that their genetics thrived on. (I hope that all makes sense. I am pondering while writing)

It is hard to afford the food, dr bills and all that. s I try and remember that if I focus on the quality foods then my dr bills will hopefully decrease over time. I am even having my brother get us a deer this year (all I have to pay for is the tag and processing) and I am going trout fishing to supplement. Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

newcastlemama is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

there have been a few queries about "has anyone been healed?" that i'm just tossing this notion of genetics as a real possibility - one that seems to have been overlooked in many of our threads.

there are some who won't be able to be "healed" in this sense, because their genetics and accompanying body chemistry doesn't function that way. healing the gut may boost the immune system and reduce some reactions (like newcastlemama's dog/cat allergies). however, if a myriad of elimination-style diets has yielded only some results and one still reacts to specific foods (most likely a narrow? group with shared features), one should consider genetics as a possible cause - and that those foods are likely going to be mostly verboten. unless, of course, one is prepared to live with (and not complain about) the resulting reaction.
Interesting notion and I'm sure it plays a part, but what about for us who never showed any reaction to foods before and then all of a sudden did? I grew up without any problems until I hit my teenage years and dealt with headaches and migraines. Then I got pregnant and everything else started. I just wish we knew more and had answers...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM
 
mum2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Midcoast Maine
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I don't even want to mention how the appt. with the internist my ND recommended went. He basically looked at me like I had three heads, was completely stupid, and was complaining about problems that didn't exist and that I didn't have...

He told me that he doesn't believe in "leaky gut" and told me to start eating more foods. At least he told me to stay away from wheat/gluten. He did remark on how high our grocery bills must be He also said, "have you ever taken a survey for PPD?" I was like, dude...DO NOT tell me that I am sick because I'm depressed. Don't tell me that my eczema, my acne, my stomach problems, dd's reactions to foods I consume are all due to PPD!!!!

Then he ordered another IgG/IgA (what's the IgA??) for gluten and wants me back in three weeks for more thyroid tests. I told him that I had thyroid tests done less than a month ago and I doubt they would have changed. He also told me that I felt better while on the T3 therapy for Wilson's Temperature Syndrome because it's like taking speed. He then said that it's not a real treatment for anything, blah blah blah!!

Okay, enough of that. I could rant and rant about this guy because I am so fed up with our medical system. My ND has been a godsend because she's the only one that believes that anything is going on in my body, even if she doesn't know what the heck to do about it, at least she listens to me!!




Totally off topic, but I am going to start making goat's yogurt with my new maker and I have a couple of questions:

1) If I am using goat's milk, why would I need a dairy free starter? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?!

2) I heard that you shouldn't heat raw milk up to the 180 degrees because it destroys the enzymes, but on the pecanbread.com website, it says to. Should I?


Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
mum2be is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off