Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 479 Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mum2be- If you noticed problems from post-partum onward that is a sign of nutritional defiency. I had a lot of them and I am feeling so much better. No amount of food elimination could have gotten me to this point because I was depleated. Gale Foce (Amanda) has a website about rebuilding after pregnancy. Look up her name and the link is in her siggie. I eat a tradtional foods diet and then targeted my defiencies with supplements, especially Total Minerals with Iron by County Life.
Gotta go!
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#452 of 479 Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Interesting notion and I'm sure it plays a part, but what about for us who never showed any reaction to foods before and then all of a sudden did? I grew up without any problems until I hit my teenage years and dealt with headaches and migraines. Then I got pregnant and everything else started. I just wish we knew more and had answers...
from what i understand, puberty knocks around your hormones and changes minerals/vitamin requirements (esp. zinc, magnesium, etc). that you had heachaches/migraines indicates a magnesium deficiency. if you were (minimally) magnesium deficient going into pregnancy, pregnancy could have sent you into magnesium depletion. i just read something about this earlier today but the paper is sitting at work.

have you tried taking a magnesium supplement? if not, having btdt, i'd start with small doses for a few days, starting around lunch time and taking a dose every couple of hours. if, by the time you go to bed, you haven't reached your bowel tolerance, you could increase the dose size the next day. it could take WEEKS to rebuild your supply. after that, you should be able to back off the frequency of doses (every other day) and perhaps taper down to once a week. trust me that you WILL be able to tell the signs of magnesium deficiency (for your body) once you've resaturated your tissues. oh, epsom salt baths are also a good way of both detoxing and boosting magnesium stores. take your dc into the tub with you as you both will benefit.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#453 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

If you have arthritis symptoms, maybe lectins are a problems for you. Here's a link...http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html#Become
Thanks a ton for this link! I react to a lot of these although I don't think nightshade is a problem for me. It even mentions PCOS, which I have, and how a low carb diet helps (it does!). Now it makes sense! Wow!

One thing, though, is that there are a lot of experiments with people taking antibiotics to improve rheumatic illnesses (although not curing them), so there is an environmental factor at work too.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#454 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 02:13 AM

To answer yogurt question, you don't need to use DF starter but other yogurt starter, if you want. Many SCD'ers are casein sensitive. Therefore, they use DF starter. The pourpose of eating SCD yogurt is not for "dairy" intake, but for the probiotics that you culture in it, and enzyme. Matter of fact, if you make yogurt in SCD recipe, you are incubating it for 24hr. which makes it lactose free.

You need to cook it till 180F, but do not pass 185F for goat milk, but I don't know the exact temp for raw goat milk. Some people heat it very low (110-115), some don't even bother to heat it. The higher temp is needed for cow's. You also need to cool the goat milk below 77F. I usually cool it to 64ish. This is to avoid the theramal shock for the starters. You want them to be as cozy in the new milk-bed for them to grow.

If you are using a yogurt maker, you may want to keep the cooking theramometer in the milk as you keep incubating. Or, test your yogurt maker's temp to be sure it is not too hot. Yogurt makers are made to incubate cow's milk which takes higher temperture.

By the way, if your bebe can't tolerate goat yogurt, drain the whey in the ref for few hrs.

good luck
#455 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 02:26 AM

Pookietooth: There are many disease that respond well with anti-candida treatments; rhumatoid arthritus is one of them. Getting on the anti-biotics seems very wrong thing to do... at least, to me.
#456 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
To answer yogurt question, you don't need to use DF starter but other yogurt starter, if you want. Many SCD'ers are casein sensitive. Therefore, they use DF starter. The pourpose of eating SCD yogurt is not for "dairy" intake, but for the probiotics that you culture in it, and enzyme. Matter of fact, if you make yogurt in SCD recipe, you are incubating it for 24hr. which makes it lactose free.

You need to cook it till 180F, but do not pass 185F for goat milk, but I don't know the exact temp for raw goat milk. Some people heat it very low (110-115), some don't even bother to heat it. The higher temp is needed for cow's. You also need to cool the goat milk below 77F. I usually cool it to 64ish. This is to avoid the theramal shock for the starters. You want them to be as cozy in the new milk-bed for them to grow.

If you are using a yogurt maker, you may want to keep the cooking theramometer in the milk as you keep incubating. Or, test your yogurt maker's temp to be sure it is not too hot. Yogurt makers are made to incubate cow's milk which takes higher temperture.

By the way, if your bebe can't tolerate goat yogurt, drain the whey in the ref for few hrs.

good luck
So are you saying that incubating for 24 hours removes the casein from the reg. starter anyway? I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant and I know dd reacts to dairy. I'm not consuming this for "dairy" intake, I'm doing it for the probiotics.

So heating goat's milk only to 115 degrees is okay? I don't want to risk bad bacteria growing, but I don't want to destroy the good ones either.

I'm using the Euro Cuisine yogurt maker with the little glass jars, so I don't know how I'd stick a thermometer in there while it was on. Any ideas? I was wondering about this as I don't know how high the temperature gets in there.

How do you drain the whey?

I'm totally new to this, and while I've read some of the Probiotics thread from goodpapa, I seriously can't filter the right information from like 20+ pages!

If I wanted to add some of my DF probiotic powder to make it even more "potent", when and how much do I add?

Thanks so much for the info!!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#457 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
Pookietooth: There are many disease that respond well with anti-candida treatments; rhumatoid arthritus is one of them. Getting on the anti-biotics seems very wrong thing to do... at least, to me.
I'm beginning to think that the reason that candida diets work for many people is not because so many people have candida, but because candida diets tend to be low in lectins and salicylates. That's also probably at least part of why the SCD is helpful for some (because it's low in lectins).
#458 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Healing The Gut mamas.

This place was my home for a solid year. I didn't go to any other threads during that time.

This is the place where I found out about all the ways to heal myself and my dd.

(See "The Gut Brain Connection" page on my site - - link in siggy.)

I've read some about you wondering if anyone was healed. I am. DD is getting there.

I stopped posting over here because I sort of ran out of things to say and wanted to start focusing on the *positive* in our lives, rather than continually focus on what was wrong. (I did that for about 18 months. )

Anyway, just wanted to say to Jane, Bluets, Caedmyn and whoever else is still over here posting.

to you all.
#459 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
So are you saying that incubating for 24 hours removes the casein from the reg. starter anyway? I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant and I know dd reacts to dairy. I'm not consuming this for "dairy" intake, I'm doing it for the probiotics.

So heating goat's milk only to 115 degrees is okay? I don't want to risk bad bacteria growing, but I don't want to destroy the good ones either.

I'm using the Euro Cuisine yogurt maker with the little glass jars, so I don't know how I'd stick a thermometer in there while it was on. Any ideas? I was wondering about this as I don't know how high the temperature gets in there.

How do you drain the whey?

I'm totally new to this, and while I've read some of the Probiotics thread from goodpapa, I seriously can't filter the right information from like 20+ pages!

If I wanted to add some of my DF probiotic powder to make it even more "potent", when and how much do I add?

Thanks so much for the info!!
Culturing the yogurt for 24 hours removes the lactose--breaks it down into galactose. It does not affect the casein. If your DD reacts to dairy it's pretty unlikely that she's reacting to the lactose component, so she probably won't tolerate 24 hour yogurt, either (unless she does okay with goat milk and you make goat milk yogurt). Dripping the yogurt/removing the whey will probably remove some of the milk proteins, but I doubt it would be enough to cause no reaction in your DD.

You add the probiotic powder when you add the yogurt starter (or you can culture yogurt with just probiotic powder. If you're using the custom probiotics powder you probably only need about 1/8 tsp, but probably more like 1/2 tsp for other probiotics that have fillers. That's just a guess, though.

It's okay to only heat raw milk to 115 degrees (enzyme destruction begins at around 118 degrees) but pasturized milk needs to be heated to 180 degrees. You can't add the starter until the milk's cooled to about 110 degrees either way.

You can do a trial run with your yogurt maker and water...just heat the water to around 110 degrees and then stick the cups in the yogurt maker and check the temperature every hour or so to make sure it's staying at the right temperature.
#460 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Has anyone healed their food senstivities? Is there a good book/link/diet for this?
I don't have much time to write right now, but wanted to chime in to say that I'm very optimistic that we are on our way to healing. I can now eat some previous trigger foods sparingly without DD reacting, and overall, she is getting better. We are still having issues with height gain, but my ped is about to conclude that maybe she is just going to be short (none of the family is tall, so this wouldn't be a shocker).

I wrote a really long post about our story a few weeks ago, but wanted to chime in here to say that I do think SCD really helped us, though it took me a while to figure out that the high food chemical content of coconut, nuts and honey were negatively affecting our progress (since I was all about those on SCD). I was doing SCD without dairy or eggs so I was focused a lot on coconut and nut butters.

I also wanted to add that I think the stress of dealing with all of this is really damaging for your gut, too. I had to really focus on keeping things positive and not getting down while sitting in front of the computer in all my spare time reading everything that might be wrong with us.

the time stress was the hardest for me. i work outside the home fulltime, and finding time to make everything was crazy. When I finally progressed to being able to eat salads, i was overjoyed and life became so much easier.

So, we're still healing and learning, but wanted to add our story since it is sometimes helpful to see that there mioght be a light at the end of the tunnel . . .
#461 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM

mum2be: caedmy maybe right, but try the SCD yogurt anyway. At least, you’ll know what may and may not work.

My kids were sensitive to both lactose and whey(milk protein) at first, and that is why I started with the nut milk yogurt.

To drain the whey, put a cheese cloth (I use a large cotton, dish cloth) over a strainer, tie the top, and keep a bowl under the strainer to catch the whey. Keep it in the ref for 30min to few hrs. The trick is, longer you drain the yogurt, and firmer it will become (a bit more like a pudding consistency to soft, cream cheese like consistency.) Also, the yogurt will taste tart if you drain longer. If your bebe can eat fruits, and dislike the tartness, you may want to make a smoothie with a bit of fruit. You can also freeze it to make it a popsicle.

Are you using raw goat milk or store bought? If you are using the store bought, cook it until it reaches 180F. I usually do 182F. And try different goat milk. One brand may come out creamier than the other.

The REAL KEY TO SUCCESS with goat milk yogurt here is you need to cool it to a ROOM TEMPERTURE (77 or below) before you add any starter.

The Starter: Another easy mistake you can make is not knowing how much starter to use: More the better don't apply here. We are trying to grow the beneficial bacteria, and you can kill them easy if you don't create the cozy place for them to grow. Measure carefully according to the portion of milk you are using. You don't want to over crowd them.

The Temperatures: You can grow bad bacteria easily, too, and this yogurt is for the kids with bad guts: You want to be careful about growing only the good bacteria. If you incubate in high temp, the good guys will die and you will grow the bad ones. If you don’t cool the milk low enough, you will kill the starter in thermo shock.

I have the Euro Cuisine, too. Love the little jars, but it was too hot for goat (fine for the cow’s.) I tried to put towel under the jars, keep the lids cracked open a bit, but I can’t make it as fine as I can in my oven. I got tired of wasting the time and milk, so I use my oven. Mine has the temperature control starting from 100F. I set mine at 110F for goat (lower if you are making nut milk yo.) It works since I can incubate 2qts at a time. I just have to schedule my baking and use of oven better (I wish I had two ovens.)

Regarding your question of adding more probiotics on your yogurt, the 'more' doesn't work well here again; at least at the beginning. If you give too much probiotics at first, you can create bigger "die off" and/or diarrhea. You would be better off paying attention to eat the yogurt every day, and alone in the morning: Letting the stomach digest it better. You can add extra probiotics on the yogurt later.

I hope I answered all your questions. Let me just add, making yogurt was very intimidating to me at first, where people were telling me “Oh, it’s very easy.” Well… I don’t think it is “Easy” at all. The concept of making yogurt is simple: Heat it , cool it and wait till it is half rotten. Yet, you are culturing bacteria for your kid’s consumptions (‘with a bad gut’ to add a little pressure here.) You may make a mistake here or there at first, but that’s o.k. I burned the milk on the first try. I didn’t know how quickly the milk burnt on the bottom. Finding your ways in your kitchen is another key to success. You may want to make a cheat sheet on your own words, or have all the utensils laid out before you start cooking the milk, etc.

Good luck
#462 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM

Annikate and LovinLiviLou-It is great that you both have had progress!!!

ITA about staying positive--I sometimes get overwhelmed with my health issues so I have to think about how far I have come and that I am on my way to wellness. I will always have Lyme disease, but I think that I can a least get the pain to stop because it has decreased so much already.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#463 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
I also wanted to add that I think the stress of dealing with all of this is really damaging for your gut, too. I had to really focus on keeping things positive and not getting down while sitting in front of the computer in all my spare time reading everything that might be wrong with us.
This is exactly what has kept me away from here. I don't mean to offend anyone but it was time for *me* to get away from what was wrong and focus on what was *right* yk?

It helps healing immensely to change your frame of mind and how you think about things.
#464 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Thanks greencat! Perhaps I will use the oven. Bummer...because I just bought the yogurt maker thinking that would be easier Maybe I can still return it.

Annikate-Thanks for your success story! Your website is great. I know you don't want to be endorsing the brands of supplements you were using, but I'd love to know the enzymes/probiotics, etc. you were using.

I think being positive is key, but one of the hardest things to do when everything seems to be against you! Have you all watched "The Secret" or something?! I try and try, but everything keeps snowballing and it's really hard on little to no sleep. But I'm trying and the fact that we make it through everyday is a good thing, right? But I'm going to keep trying to stay positive.

I do have a question: is nutritional yeast gluten free? I had some "Tings" yesterday because dd seems to be okay with corn flakes. So these were a last resort at the HFS when we were in a rush and I hadn't eaten in 4 hours. So she was up all last night Lots of gas that is continuing into today. Is the fact that she's probably reacting to the yeast signal a yeast issue, or just another typical new food reaction? Just wondering what I should be concerned with treating I guess...

That's all for now!

#465 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks greencat! Perhaps I will use the oven. Bummer...because I just bought the yogurt maker thinking that would be easier Maybe I can still return it.

Annikate-Thanks for your success story! Your website is great. I know you don't want to be endorsing the brands of supplements you were using, but I'd love to know the enzymes/probiotics, etc. you were using.

I think being positive is key, but one of the hardest things to do when everything seems to be against you! Have you all watched "The Secret" or something?! I try and try, but everything keeps snowballing and it's really hard on little to no sleep. But I'm trying and the fact that we make it through everyday is a good thing, right? But I'm going to keep trying to stay positive.

I do have a question: is nutritional yeast gluten free? I had some "Tings" yesterday because dd seems to be okay with corn flakes. So these were a last resort at the HFS when we were in a rush and I hadn't eaten in 4 hours. So she was up all last night Lots of gas that is continuing into today. Is the fact that she's probably reacting to the yeast signal a yeast issue, or just another typical new food reaction? Just wondering what I should be concerned with treating I guess...

That's all for now!
yikes... i JUST read a post on another mailing list that NY can cause some MSG-like effects. but THAT might be a clue in and of itself.

#466 of 479 Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM

I kept my Euro Cuisine, since it came with the glass jars, and qt size glass bowl fits fine as well in there. I plan to use it when we find the raw cow's milk.
#467 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 01:16 AM

So ladies, I have a question for you...

NAET has been going slowly, and without any progress 4 session into it., but we are willing to be patient. My question as I read up more and more about SCD is how can NAET work when every food in the list each weeks seems to be starch laden? How can we heal the gut with the NAET's stringent diet requirements for 3 days out of the week? I don't know what came first here, the chicken or the egg: do we heal the gut with diet, or do the NAET. I am probably missing something, but how are they compatible with e/o? Sorry if these are novice questions, but any input would be welcome
#468 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
This is exactly what has kept me away from here. I don't mean to offend anyone but it was time for *me* to get away from what was wrong and focus on what was *right* yk?

It helps healing immensely to change your frame of mind and how you think about things.
This is very true: I tend to be realistic often bordering on pessimistic -- so I try to remind myself to be patient everytime something requires more time to work....I read a study once that individuals who donate their organs to another family member are overwhelmed by the symptoms of their surgery post organ removal b/c they are generally healthy people, and have little tolerance/experience with discomfort/pain. The recipient however(who by the way go through a much larger operation) usually say they come out feeling like they are on cloud 9 -- again b/c they are used to knowing what illness is. Attitude is a huge part of the battle. I can't agree with you move. I has changed my expectations from 'cure' to simple 'improvement.'
#469 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 AM

I think that for us, we should have tried SCD nut, egg, and dairy free, at least for awhile. It just seemed like it would be too expensive and difficult, especially with a picky ds. Now it's just that he's too willful to get him to stick to anything, LOL.

#470 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM

Don't Tings also have a bunch of other weird ingredients, many of them to give it texture? And aren't they deep fried?

#471 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

My intention on MDC is to share my experience with SCD for people with bad gut and weak immune system. I believe SCD had made a significant difference for my children and me. I made many mistakes as a learning process, but I was desperately searching for an answer on web sites (including MDC) when my kids were suffering. Believe me; I’d been there. I don't read a lot research paper (like Jane: ) but I'd like to contribute my opinion based on my experience with SCD for people who are still searching.

I can not claim my opinion with a study group of 50+ people to compare with, yet it is my belief that your success rate is higher if you do SCD before you include other treatment, like NAET, Reiki, Healing Touch, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine, or whatever. The picture here is like adding treatments after treatments of stuff like Draino into a sink that is full of clogs or a pipe that needs to be patched up. I think many of you would agree, if you read the book, Breaking the Viscous Cycle that if your gut is so badly damaged from foods that s/he can't digest, toxins (medical and environmental), yeast, bad bacteria, intestinal parasites, or what ever is not going to help much unless you ease the load on your GI and immune system. I am not saying those treatments will not work, but the progress is more visible if you are on SCD, perhaps.

I went to Karen DeFelice’s conference with few moms of kids on Autism spectrum. We all tried the digestive enzymes (of same brands,) and the results were interesting. Moms who were on SCD (two of us/ four children total) did very well with the enzyme, where kids who were just on very strict GFCF, but full of SCD illegal food did not. May be this is just a fluke.... This is not to say the enzyme they chose was ill fit. My son did horrible on one kind, and we all did better with one brand vs. the other. I will never know, but to wonder.

I will keep writing more about SCD and including other ideas.
#472 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Don't Tings also have a bunch of other weird ingredients, many of them to give it texture? And aren't they deep fried?

It said cornmeal, safflower oil, nutritional yeast and salt. I don't know if they're deep fried...perhaps.

If I remember correctly, don't lactobacillus species make up your small intestine, while bifidobacterium inhabit the larger one? I have plenty of bifido, but lacto. according to my lab tests. So I'm trying to pinpoint which intestine is "leaky." I wonder if it will make a difference if I do. Anyone know?

#473 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Cello: To respond to your post, I knew one mom who went to NAET. Her progress were so slow, she quit. I think NAET may be more money's worth, if you are on you know what. My approach to healing the gut was very holistic/wholistic. I not only followed the SCD, but added other ideas to better your health, like using sea salt, drinking Mountain Valley Spring water, using filtered water for cooking, etc, etc, etc. We also went completely organic, removed all chemical stuff, and build a house with VOC free material, etc to ease the load on our immune system. Yes, I can be a bit crazy..
#474 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Can you give a brief overview of SCD and how could one get a very picky eater to do it? (presently we're gfcf mostly sf and corn free and chemical free, but a lot of sweets, rice and potatoes in those categories. It's all he'll eat.)

thanks.

- paula
#475 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It said cornmeal, safflower oil, nutritional yeast and salt. I don't know if they're deep fried...perhaps.
Nutritional yeast can contain free glutamates (think natural MSG), and I've heard of babies reacting to the nutritional or brewer's yeast added to the WAPF homemade baby formula. Corn is a really common allergen as well...you could try tortilla chips and if she doesn't react to those, then you could rule out the corn as a cause.
#476 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie'sMama View Post
Can you give a brief overview of SCD and how could one get a very picky eater to do it? (presently we're gfcf mostly sf and corn free and chemical free, but a lot of sweets, rice and potatoes in those categories. It's all he'll eat.)

thanks.

- paula
www.pecanbread.com is a good website--most of the recipes come from moms of kids with ASD so I imagine they are good for picky eaters.
#477 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Nutritional yeast can contain free glutamates (think natural MSG), and I've heard of babies reacting to the nutritional or brewer's yeast added to the WAPF homemade baby formula. Corn is a really common allergen as well...you could try tortilla chips and if she doesn't react to those, then you could rule out the corn as a cause.
I don't know. She was fine with corn flakes that I have for breakfast, so I thought these would be okay. I think it's the yeast, but I don't think it has anything to do with MSG. Yeast came up positive on my IgG tests, i haven't had any until now.

It's all a big mystery :

#478 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

PM it to Teresa!
you've got me visualizing a fed ex box...

i've been off line for a few days, and my name turns to... ?poopqueen?

my internet connection is out of whack, so i'm just checking in when i can.

my signature is usually illegible
#479 of 479 Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...88#post7763988

psst... it's april now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page