Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Have you actually been helped by any of the stuff she's recommended? She sounds like she does the same type of kinesiology as the person DD saw yesterday.
Well, it's hard to tell. She recommended some homeopathic remedies and one that I took I saw improvement with my eczema, but it didn't last long. The others didn't help at all, or at least I couldn't tell that they helped. She does other things with supplements, but those are harder to tell if they are helping (like CLO, EFAs and such).

The foods she tested that we pulled out of my diet helped dd tremendously. That's how I got down to my 7 food diet that I was on for 4 months.

I haven't seen her in a while though. She used to come to our house for consults and would go through our fridge and cupboards and tell me what dd would react to. She is super nice...

I

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#122 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Okay, I've got a problem....I ran out of my EFA pills about a month ago and keep forgetting to tell the secretary at my ND's office to order more for me. So while I have been off of them, my acne has been improving. I didn't make the connection until I looked up the pills to see if I could order them online from somewhere. The ND that gave me these pills is not my usual one, but she stepped in because my ND was on vacation. She knew the history of food allergies and such, so I assumed these pills were okay...

Well, THEY CONTAIN SOY AND WHEAT OILS! Aaahhhh!! So I've been taking those for about 2.5 months and didn't know. Grrr...but they definitely helped my eczema, just made my acne worse. Since I have been off of them, my eczema is getting out of control...all over my eyes (my eyelids are splitting open and cracking ), my hands, my boobs...nasty stuff!

So, here is what she recommended. Is there anything that anyone takes that is similar and allergen free?

#123 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
In my dd's case it is due to faulty genetics-- but we are trying to heal her by taking away the foods she is reacting too, healing her, and then doing very slow and careful food trials. I guess dd's GI is on board with not just giving pills but actually finding out what the cause is.

As a lifetime allergy sufferer it's been very frustrating to go into a doctor's office in the past, tell them I'm having bad allergy symptoms,and then have them give me a pill instead of trying to figure out exactly what allergy it might be or how best to change my lifestyle to make things more comfortable. I was the one who did the research on removing carpets, covering the mattresses, etc. I did sublingual immonotherapy with an NP and maybe it's just coincidence, maybe not, but I'm off all asthma meds now except if I get a bad UPI.

Coming from a genetic standpoint-- not sure about celiac's and chrones, but there have been some genes located that have to do with sinintis, asthma, and my dd's condition eosinophilic esophagitis (and also eosinophils in the lower gut known as EG and EC, basically white blood cells that cause inflammation, diarrhea, etc). They are all closely related. You can do a search on the genes: eotaxin-1, eotaxin-2, and eotaxin-3. There are some repeated gene sequences that make the genes overreactive. The more repeats, the more reactive they are and the worse the person is affected. It's very facinating stuff. They hope to oneday make a protein blocker for eo-3 that will help with my dd's condition. With eo-2 I think Singulair is that blocker. If they do come up with a med that doesn't mean I'll just let her eat anything, KWIM?
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was rejecting genetics as a cause of allergies. I definitely believe that, in many cases, there is a strong genetic component to health problems. I just reject it as a cause in *my* family's case of FAs. Sorry I worded that so poorly! And I totally understand what you mean about not just popping a pill, but getting to the bottom of the problem. I think allopathic medicine has a place and I wouldn't reject a treatment that could seriously improve my quality of life or that of my children. But, like you, I'd be doing the work on my end, too (nutrition, vitamins, exercise, etc.).
#124 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was rejecting genetics as a cause of allergies. I definitely believe that, in many cases, there is a strong genetic component to health problems. I just reject it as a cause in *my* family's case of FAs. Sorry I worded that so poorly! And I totally understand what you mean about not just popping a pill, but getting to the bottom of the problem. I think allopathic medicine has a place and I wouldn't reject a treatment that could seriously improve my quality of life or that of my children. But, like you, I'd be doing the work on my end, too (nutrition, vitamins, exercise, etc.).
((HUGS)) I didn't take it that way at all, I knew what you were saying. I was just researching this last night as part of a bio paper and was so excited to see the actual gene mutations. I had to share. You have been so helpful in past posts that I have made. I hope that soon we can get Nitara to a state where we can try some of these alternative treatments.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#125 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I just saw this link on another list I'm on. I know it's mainstream medicine but wanted to pass it on anyway. I would still try to take care of gut problems at their source to cure it in the long-run.

In brief, the drug blocks the increase in the spaces between cells in the
small intestine ~ i.e., the drug tightens up a "leaky" gut. If I
understand the webpage correctly, this drug decreases inflammation (from
Food Allergies, Crohn's Disease, Celiac Disease, etc.) by blocking the
mast cells in the small intestine from recruiting white blood cells into
the gut. This drug looks really promising as a new treatment for EGE and
other small bowel inflammatory diseases.

http://www.freshpatents.com/Agonist-...pe=description
My biggest concern would be the same issue that the new non steriodal eczema drugs have: blocking the immune system cannot be done. The irritation will just come out in other ways... hence that using things like Elidel has more incidences of developing asthma (progressing further down the "Allergy March").

Too bad they are not studying natural sources of decreasing inflammation: vitamin C, pycegenol, quercitin, cod liver oil, and glutamine and gelatin.
#126 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
My biggest concern would be the same issue that the new non steriodal eczema drugs have: blocking the immune system cannot be done. The irritation will just come out in other ways... hence that using things like Elidel has more incidences of developing asthma (progressing further down the "Allergy March").

Too bad they are not studying natural sources of decreasing inflammation: vitamin C, pycegenol, quercitin, cod liver oil, and glutamine and gelatin.
Yeah, we stayed away from elidel after the cancer reports. If they could make a protein-less version of those things you listed so she wouldn't be allergic (or is it the proteins that make them work?), I would love to give them to Nitara. It would be so good for her.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#127 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Okay, I've got a problem....I ran out of my EFA pills about a month ago and keep forgetting to tell the secretary at my ND's office to order more for me. So while I have been off of them, my acne has been improving. I didn't make the connection until I looked up the pills to see if I could order them online from somewhere. The ND that gave me these pills is not my usual one, but she stepped in because my ND was on vacation. She knew the history of food allergies and such, so I assumed these pills were okay...

Well, THEY CONTAIN SOY AND WHEAT OILS! Aaahhhh!! So I've been taking those for about 2.5 months and didn't know. Grrr...but they definitely helped my eczema, just made my acne worse. Since I have been off of them, my eczema is getting out of control...all over my eyes (my eyelids are splitting open and cracking ), my hands, my boobs...nasty stuff!

So, here is what she recommended. Is there anything that anyone takes that is similar and allergen free?
I think you could get the same benefits from cod liver oil and evening primrose oil (if tolerated), and possibly a vitamin E supplement--the dry or clear base ones are usually soy free although I don't know what else they contain.
#128 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
they will likely never do serious studies of these because there isn't profit or patents for big pharma OR for big nutraceuticals, the likely funders of such studies. (just wait until the US patent office stops approving patents on genes ... )

NIH is putting out calls for proposals for studies with probiotics but i'd be willing to bet that these will not be as thorough as we all would like.

btw, NIH has moved more away from basic research into "translational" research (i.e., things that make money) because of pressure from the (Bush) administration and the various political appointees. many many basic research grant budgets have been slashed this year, even those that are only being renewed on a noncompeting cycle. basic biomedical research (funded by the government, not subject to politics and economics) is moving into the realm of dire straits these days because of "direction" from non-scientist administrators.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#129 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
If you really want to be annoyed check out quackwatch.com. This MD pretty much bashes everything that isn't straight forward allopathy. He ridiculed NAET b/c the creator said she was allergic to sugar and you "can't" be allergic to sugar, your body needs it : If you can't be allergic then why eczema (symptoms) go away when it was avoided like it did in my sister's friend? He doesn't even consider that a person could react to the chemical alteration of processed sugar or the actual chemicals used in processing or something else entirely. He's sooo simplistic and arrogant and it ticks me off that lots of people searching for information about alternative medicine options will find his misleading information.
what i find harder to believe is that the U of Louisville faculty member actually used quackwatch as a citation and reliable source.

#130 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i liked http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/..._index=6593008
along with evening primrose oil (i just bought a brand formulated for our HFS), but our ND swears by Nutraceutical and its sub-brands because they do pretty rigorous quality control and testing. They're big enough that they'll be around for a while and they take responsibility for their products. Plus, he isn't feeding the pockets of Dr. Weil when he recommends the Nutraceutical line (ND doesn't have a favorable opinion of Weil). You'd probably have to call to see if they contain wheat/soy.

#131 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I think you could get the same benefits from cod liver oil and evening primrose oil (if tolerated), and possibly a vitamin E supplement--the dry or clear base ones are usually soy free although I don't know what else they contain.
Thanks I have been taking Nordic Naturals CLO (2 tbls. a day!) for 3 months now. I just purchased the high vitamin Blue Ice one yesterday. Any brand recs for Vit. E and primrose oil? Both are safe for bf'ing, right?

My ND has gotten all of my other blood tests back as well as the follow up stool sample results after my leaky gut test. I am so anxious, but she said she won't tell me any of them over the phone (as she has done before...) and she wants to see me in person. I hope I'm not dying She said earlier that she wonders if I have an autoimmune disease. I hope I'm okay...

#132 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks I have been taking Nordic Naturals CLO (2 tbls. a day!) for 3 months now. I just purchased the high vitamin Blue Ice one yesterday. Any brand recs for Vit. E and primrose oil? Both are safe for bf'ing, right?

My ND has gotten all of my other blood tests back as well as the follow up stool sample results after my leaky gut test. I am so anxious, but she said she won't tell me any of them over the phone (as she has done before...) and she wants to see me in person. I hope I'm not dying She said earlier that she wonders if I have an autoimmune disease. I hope I'm okay...
As far as I know they're both fine for BF'ing. www.iherb.com has a bunch of clear base and dry vitamin E...they show the labels so you can check to find a hypoallergenic one. I bought liquid EPO from www.mountainroseherbs.com for DD. I've been taking Natural Factors EPO capsules myself...the label says it contains no dairy, wheat, yeast, or corn, but says nothing about soy, so it probably does contain some soy. You probably don't want to take 2 Tbsp. a day of high vitamin CLO for more than a month or so, so you may want to take a combinatin of high and low vitamin CLO if you want a lot of EFA's from CLO.
#133 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 PM

The CLO I am taking now isn't high vitamin, so I think it's okay to take as much as I do, but with the Blue Ice, I only plan on taking what they recommend.

I'm going to wait for my appt. with my ND on Tuesday before I buy anything else. I'm afraid that my lab results will give us some answers that will require a lot of supplements, etc. so I want to be sure to get the right stuff

Can I just say how much I LOVE all the resources that MDC has??!! Seriously...I would have NEVER figured out what my problems were if it weren't for everyone on MDC. I would have been suffering for a long time. It amazes me how much the mamas on here know

#134 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we stayed away from elidel after the cancer reports. If they could make a protein-less version of those things you listed so she wouldn't be allergic (or is it the proteins that make them work?), I would love to give them to Nitara. It would be so good for her.

What is she allergic to and how was she tested?

Glutamine is an amino acid... it's not a whole protein, you can get it in supplement form (in addition to making bone broths which are doubly beneficial b/c of the gelatin, but of course that is a protein... she can't be allergic to all meats can she??)

I don't know about proteins and cod liver oil. I would test natural vitamin A and D pills from Carlson's made from CLO and then do flax for omega-3 as next best thing.

Vitamin C, quercitin and pycegenol are not proteins, with the last 2 being bioflavonoids.
#135 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I hope you are okay too!
Carlson's natural vitamin E is supposed to be very good but I forget contents of for allergy purposes. Best natural source is cold pressed olive oil and wheat germ oil (don't heat them) .
#136 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
they will likely never do serious studies of these because there isn't profit or patents for big pharma OR for big nutraceuticals, the likely funders of such studies. (just wait until the US patent office stops approving patents on genes ... )

NIH is putting out calls for proposals for studies with probiotics but i'd be willing to bet that these will not be as thorough as we all would like.

btw, NIH has moved more away from basic research into "translational" research (i.e., things that make money) because of pressure from the (Bush) administration and the various political appointees. many many basic research grant budgets have been slashed this year, even those that are only being renewed on a noncompeting cycle. basic biomedical research (funded by the government, not subject to politics and economics) is moving into the realm of dire straits these days because of "direction" from non-scientist administrators.
Yeah, the whole study focus thing is such a scam.

Ooooo... can you link to call for study proposals with probiotics?? I'm trying to talk a WAPF Ped that I just met into a bifidobacteria study!

Stupid *&^%$# Shrub!
#137 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Okay, this question is for my mother who just had minor surgery, but they just pumped her full of antibiotics. They gave her a whole bag through IV, then gave her 2 pills while there as well. She has a Rx that she starts tomorrow for more.

I told her to run out and get probiotics, and the only ones she could find were PB8 (these ones). There's a warning on the back and she is wondering if she can take them with what meds she is using currently (something for thryoid and vit. D). Also, when should she take these in congunction with the antibiotics, and how much? I've always seen them measured in CFU's, not MGs, so I am confused

#138 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:22 PM

Jen (Pookietooth)

Did you see my posts re: Wilson's Temp Syndrome, I think you should check this out.

My temps are running low and erratic, I'm pretty positive I have it. Correlated with a bunch of symptoms that started all together in my 20's... it's very very interesting. I want all my family members to test their temps too!
#139 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkamama View Post
jane,
i am so curious about your ds's rotation diet. after learning what my ds's triggers are, we decided to completely eliminate them in hopes of him outgrowing them. i would love to hear more about your thinking regarding the allergens in the rotation....really some days, i would just love to pick your brain about all of the healing the gut stuff! thank you!! you have helped me a great deal on our journey toward gut healing. many of your readings and advice has lead to healing...and sanity. i don't always get the chance to post much...my boys keep me very busy...but i read a lot.

peace
Trust me, all my brain is pretty much in these over 5,000 posts! often I forget what I know. :

In our situation, a Rotation was the only way to go. He tested allergic to over 25 different foods.

There's no way he could have existed on the ones that came up okay: dairy, soy (which I'll never give him unless fermented condiments), beef, chicken, broccoli, pears, strawberries, tomatoes, arrowroot. That's it!!!
:

Doris Rapp wrote about Rotation Diets with respect to kids in "Is This Your Child?" and other books. The idea behind them is that exposure is limited and the gut can rest in days in between when the food is not given, as each allergic food produces a specific immune response. Something like that.

There are still some things that DS cannot have at all: pineapple, orange, MANGO....omg those are horrible. Rice is suspect but he is seeming to do okay on it now I've got it in an 8 day rotation as opposed to 4. Not sure about corn, watching that for now. Sometimes he has a little reaction and it's hard to pinpoint. Overall he's doing really really well, best ever so something is working! He's on enzymes too, the Houston trio. They absolutely make a HUGE difference. Which makes sense b/c if the food proteins are being broken down they are less likely to cause a reaction in the first place.
#140 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, this question is for my mother who just had minor surgery, but they just pumped her full of antibiotics. They gave her a whole bag through IV, then gave her 2 pills while there as well. She has a Rx that she starts tomorrow for more.

I told her to run out and get probiotics, and the only ones she could find were PB8 (these ones). There's a warning on the back and she is wondering if she can take them with what meds she is using currently (something for thryoid and vit. D). Also, when should she take these in congunction with the antibiotics, and how much? I've always seen them measured in CFU's, not MGs, so I am confused

I didn't like PB8 b/c of the FOS in them made my gut go haywire (lots of gas, FOS is an indigestible sugar).

You should take antibx 2 hours apart from probiotics.... so antibx at 8AM, probiotics at 10AM, antibx at 12PM.

Personally I'd do tons of kefir. But I'm currently on a Natren kick too, see this thread for more:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=631727

I don't know any issues with probiotics and thyroid meds, wonder what it is?
#141 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
2nd issue (I'm just full of questions today ), I just got my first 2 gallons of raw milk (where's the dancing cow?) and I want to make some yogurt for ds1 (the constipated guy). For now I'll probably just use Dannon since that's readily available and throw in some of the L. Reuteri probiotics I have. Is the yogurt starter from customprobiotics worth getting?

Okay, that's enough questions for now. Maybe one day soon I'll have enough experience/knowledge to give input here instead of just take, take, take.
I'm not too thrilled with Custom Probiotics yogurt starter. It's what, $45 with shipping? And the directions are wrong, you need more than 1/4 tsp. It's only if you need dairy free IMO. Otherwise, use a yogurt you like or for starters: Yogourmet or Natren, I like them both. Natren is supposed to have some super strain of Lactobacillus Bulgaricus. Sometimes I add the Acidophilus powder to it too.

Kefir and Natural Calm also for constipation.
#142 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:46 PM

And how old is he? Constipation has been correlated with low bifidus.
#143 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellasmum View Post
Hi- I am getting an education here! My sister has a 2 mo old that has had every problem in the book - problems sleeping, diaper rash, yeast, gastro-intestinal cramps, diarrhea, supposed acid reflux, spitting up, continuous crying, all starting with some post-birth breathing difficulty leading to a stay in the NICU - which turned out to be "nothing"!

So what do you knowledgeable moms think about acid reflux in infants? This baby's pediatricians seem to say it's Zantac, Prevacid, Maalox (yes! for an infant!!!) tummy drops until 3-6 months?!?! No one is mentioning probiotics...I insisted to my sister it could be her intestinal flora, since mom had abx for mastitis, then a few days of abx for a phantom UTI, which she had to abandon for allergic reaction!!

this poor family!

Any advice anyone?? Mom is trying an elimination diet - but there is so much going into baby and so many things being tried it is hard to know WHAT is helping or hurting!!!
See post #20 in Healing the Gut Tribe Cheat Sheet. It's definitely the antibiotics and gut flora. Start now before the babe becomes allergic to foods. She might be now. It might be worth it to do Elimination Diet of the Top 8 allergens first if she is BF'ing. But I'd start the bifidobacteria first and see if it makes a difference in a few weeks.
#144 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
We had Noah's 6 (actually 7)month check up today. He was 10 weeks early so actually 4 1/2 months adjusted and today weighed 10lbs, 6oz. He's not even close to being on the charts but as long has he charts with the curve there's no concern. At this point he's not quite keeping up with the curve and his ped wants me to add some calories to make sure he's growing appropriately (brain growth concerns). I'm okay with that given Noah's less than ideal or normal situation. However his ped suggested rice cereal or oatmeal and given his reaction to wheat and oats in my diet I'm not very comfortable with giving a 4 1/2 mo grains. I'd rather wait on any solids for a very long time given his apparent gut issues with food sensitivity but realistically I may need to consider boosting his calorie intake in addition to breastmilk. I'd thought about fish/cod liver oil and/or EVOO. Any thoughts, suggestions or warnings? I may call the ped back and ask to come in for a weight check in a few weeks before starting real food. This was our first visit with this ped (he was my childhood ped) and I really want to stick with him. He's totally okay with my not vaxing which is a huge relief.
I would not at all supplement with oils, just EBF for now. Just make sure your diet is full of good fats (at least a tablespoon or more of CLO, and preferably high vitamin).

LOTS of butter, preferably raw to be easiest to digest.

*NO* trans fats, they go thru to your milk. *ALL* fats you eat directly pass thru to your milk.

Cut down on vegetable oils, only olive. No canola, soy, that horrible cottonseed, or safflower. They are omega 6's and block brain building omega 3's.

The more omega 3's in your diet the more in your milk. Get omega 3 eggs and eat 3 a day. Add extra yolks to smoothies. Try to find grass fed beef. Eat lots of wild salmon, wild shellfish. Not farm raised fish, farm raised does not have omega 3s b/c their diets are unnatural (grains). Get grass fed dairy, this again has the omega 3's because the cows are eating their natural diet.... grass fed butter and high fat beef is as healthy for you as fish!

*OMEGA 3s* and Cholesterol are the brain foods. NOT oatmeal and rice. Honestly the madness of modern medicine! : The brain is mostly fat and that is a key reason BM contains a lot of omega 3 and cholesterol (but only if in your diet).

First foods for him should not be grains. Look into Weston Price feeding recs:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

Traditional Japanese breastfeeding mama diet is 12 eggs a day for excellent omega 3 content of milk and lots of vitamin A for healthy immune system and eyesight.
#145 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM

I just have to say it again, to correlate brain growth with needing to introduce rice and oatmeal is seriously screwed up. I'm going to be ranting for days on that one!

How little doctors know about the actual makeup of the human body: real nutrition, like actual vitamins and minerals and proteins and fats build body cells, b/c HELLO, THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE MADE UP OF!!!

You can't get blood from a stone, and you can't get a healthy human from simple carbs with little nutritional value. That a young babe doesn't produce adequate enzymes to digest and fully assimilate yet either.

Grrrrr...

Yes I'm still PO'd I gave grains to DS as his first foods too. Full body eczema. Yeast diaper rash from hell. Don't do it!
#146 of 479 Old 03-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
but i did find a really good website the other day:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/index.cfm

not at all glamorous but filled with useful information.

this doc, according to her writings, would never advocate a highly restrictive diet for long periods of time because one then starts reacting to everything.
She says making a healthy baby is 1% genes and 99% environmental. I think I agree.
#147 of 479 Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM

RE: sugar, sugar is related to wheat, so many who have problems with wheat have problems with sugar and molasses.

The homeopathics seem to be helping the candida to the extent that I'm not really sticking that close to any anti-candida diet anymore and it's not a problem unless I eat a lot of sugar.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#148 of 479 Old 03-10-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
What is she allergic to and how was she tested?

Glutamine is an amino acid... it's not a whole protein, you can get it in supplement form (in addition to making bone broths which are doubly beneficial b/c of the gelatin, but of course that is a protein... she can't be allergic to all meats can she??)

I don't know about proteins and cod liver oil. I would test natural vitamin A and D pills from Carlson's made from CLO and then do flax for omega-3 as next best thing.

Vitamin C, quercitin and pycegenol are not proteins, with the last 2 being bioflavonoids.

That's good to know about glutamine. I should have guessed by the name.

She is actually allergic to amost everything right now. It's a condition called EE. Her esophagus is so swollen that she has a hard time swallowing. She vomits, has been on a feeding tube from 3 mos old but just dx a couple mos ago through biopsy. People should not have any eos cells in their esophagus. At 20 they consider that a dx. She had over 100 eos cells in one area and 50 in another. Very severe case. This is caused by a delayed IgG reaction to foods, and sometimes it is caused by airborne allergens as well.

We did both skin prick and skin patch tests and she is having reactions to about 80% of foods right now including very common ones like dairy, soy, corn, oats, rice, fish, and several fruits and veggies. We put her on an amino acid medical food and she was only allowed to have that from late Jan until Feb 20. Then the GI said try her on rice. She showed some symptoms so I took her off rice, patch tested her and sure enough she's allergic. We are trying her on white potato b/c that test came up - and she seems to do well on it. But yeah pretty much she's allergic or irritated by everything. In late April she will have another scope, hopefully it will be clear of eos cells, and we can trial her with three more foods. She's only allowed to have potatos and a couple of oils that are considered safe. I'm hoping if she's on this medical food and has a gentle and slow introduction to foods she's not reacting to so much, she will be able to tolerate more foods eventually. Most kids with EE end up being on the elemental formula for years because they can't eat enough safe foods to get full nutrition. It sucks. If we play by the rules and don't allow much to enter her diet until we are sure she can tolerate it, she can heal and perhaps her body won't react to those foods anymore, or as much.

We are vegetarian and she has not been tested for meats for that reason. If it turns out that we can get her off the tube in the distant future by allowing her to eat meats we will probably allow her to have them. But we will try all other avenues first.

I would love to give her more Vit C but I am confused about what kind to give her. I tried to give her some once but she vomited it immediately in a very violent way. I know it was not citris based but not sure what else it had in it. I need to find a pure form that does not have any fillers of corn or rice or other things she can't have. Her formula has extra vitamins for kids who can't absorb nutrients as well, so she is probably getting a balanced diet. It would be nice to give her some extra C though.

She has tested + for fish and seafood so no CLO ever. Same with peanut and corn oil. Even though they are supposed to be free of proteins I don't want to take a chance after we've come this far getting her feeling better. She has improved so much on the amino acid medical food.

#149 of 479 Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
That's good to know about glutamine. I should have guessed by the name.

She is actually allergic to amost everything right now. It's a condition called EE. Her esophagus is so swollen that she has a hard time swallowing. She vomits, has been on a feeding tube from 3 mos old but just dx a couple mos ago through biopsy. People should not have any eos cells in their esophagus. At 20 they consider that a dx. She had over 100 eos cells in one area and 50 in another. Very severe case. This is caused by a delayed IgG reaction to foods, and sometimes it is caused by airborne allergens as well.

We did both skin prick and skin patch tests and she is having reactions to about 80% of foods right now including very common ones like dairy, soy, corn, oats, rice, fish, and several fruits and veggies. We put her on an amino acid medical food and she was only allowed to have that from late Jan until Feb 20. Then the GI said try her on rice. She showed some symptoms so I took her off rice, patch tested her and sure enough she's allergic. We are trying her on white potato b/c that test came up - and she seems to do well on it. But yeah pretty much she's allergic or irritated by everything. In late April she will have another scope, hopefully it will be clear of eos cells, and we can trial her with three more foods. She's only allowed to have potatos and a couple of oils that are considered safe. I'm hoping if she's on this medical food and has a gentle and slow introduction to foods she's not reacting to so much, she will be able to tolerate more foods eventually. Most kids with EE end up being on the elemental formula for years because they can't eat enough safe foods to get full nutrition. It sucks. If we play by the rules and don't allow much to enter her diet until we are sure she can tolerate it, she can heal and perhaps her body won't react to those foods anymore, or as much.

We are vegetarian and she has not been tested for meats for that reason. If it turns out that we can get her off the tube in the distant future by allowing her to eat meats we will probably allow her to have them. But we will try all other avenues first.

I would love to give her more Vit C but I am confused about what kind to give her. I tried to give her some once but she vomited it immediately in a very violent way. I know it was not citris based but not sure what else it had in it. I need to find a pure form that does not have any fillers of corn or rice or other things she can't have. Her formula has extra vitamins for kids who can't absorb nutrients as well, so she is probably getting a balanced diet. It would be nice to give her some extra C though.

She has tested + for fish and seafood so no CLO ever. Same with peanut and corn oil. Even though they are supposed to be free of proteins I don't want to take a chance after we've come this far getting her feeling better. She has improved so much on the amino acid medical food.
Pretty much all vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is derived from corn. Twinlabs makes a Vit C that is derived from Sago Palm. We take the sago palm Vit C + quercetin (a natural antihistamine).

Also, have you tried Nitara on Evening Primrose Oil or Flaxseed oil?
#150 of 479 Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM

Hey mamas. I need a little help. I bought dd some of the Flora infant probiotics which says that it has "traces" of dairy. My local HFS says that this is as good as I'm going to get with trying to get dairy free. True?

I'm having problems w/dd's poops (she's 4 months old). After I started the probiotics (2 weeks ago) she had 1 day of "normal" poop 2 days after I started them, but then right back to nasty smelly peanut butter poo so I'm going to cut out all of the top allergens (again) x2 weeks and see if there is even the slightest change. If not, I'm doing TED. I'm trying harder to be sugar free. I'm doing kombucha and am getting ready to start a batch of water kefir (even though I hear that dairy kefir is ok I'm not going to risk it with her anymore), extra strength probiotics for myself, and CLO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page