Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Thank you for the encouragement. The oils I am worried about are the ones I eat. Today I had sheep fat on my squash. If I don't eat a ton of oil I get really, really hungry. EVOO works well for her skin as well. And the hemp also. We have not been able to find coconut or palm oil. How crazy is that. We are still looking and hoping that we will find some here. Having it shipped from the US will be quite expensive.
In the meantime I hope and pray that the TED will help and that we can at least get a bit of an idea what to avoid without avoiding everything.
You can use EVOO on your food as much as possible--it doesn't contain many essential fatty acids at all. I know what you mean about needing to eat a ton of fat, I'm the same way. The prices at mountainroseherbs are really quite low ($18 for a gallon of palm oil and $28 for a gallon of coconut oil) so even if you factor in shipping to China it still might be worth doing. What fats are traditionally eaten there?
#182 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Sorry forgot to respond to this, yes the human strain, reportedly the "gentlest" strain, is Bifidobacterium Infantis and is dominent in and host specific to infants.

I went crazy lately and updated the Cheat Sheet re: infants and gut flora:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&postcount=20

Bifidobacteria is the genus of which there are many species such as B. Bifidum, B. Longum, B. Adolescentis and B. Infantis.

It used to be known as Lactobacillus Bifidus, but that is no longer correct.
Thanks JaneS! That's EXACTLY what I needed

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#183 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Maybe. Which one are you using? I'm trying to find references for Natren saying that acidophilus is not recommended for babes before 6 months.... I want to know why exactly and haven't found it yet (and the books I really want are at medical libraries are not available interloan ).

It makes sense to me that you give the Bifidobacterium only based on studies I've quoted already, but I cannot find any showing negative effects of large amount of Lactobacillus supplementation. Studies on L. casei/LGG don't really count in my eyes as that is a transient bacteria (doesn't colonize).
This is the one I am using: the HLC high potency powder.

I give her a little on a spoon (she loves it and thinks she is "eating" food) twice a day. It does contain FOS and freeze dried apricot.

I am all out as of yesterday, so I am going to ask my ND about custom probiotic's CP-1 for me and perhaps this Natren brand that you recommended for dd.

#184 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
We are in China. So, no WAPF chapter leader, no flax oil (although we sometimes can find flax seeds), no ghee and no grass fed beef near. Although we will hopefully move to a more rural area this summer, with yak, which would be grass fed. And maybe we can figure out how to make ghee, seeing that we can get yak butter there as well.
I found some fish oil and cod liver oil here, but now I am freaked out to use them because of mercury levels. I love this country and don't want to bash things, but controlling polution and manufacturing standards are not strong points here. So now I need to get CLO from the US with a friend who is back home now. But that is more than a month away.
Oh and we can only find farm raised salmon.

I am just feeling really discouraged about this whole gut healing thing. We have a skinny baby who nurses all the time and doesn't gain weight. And I apparently have done EVERYTHING wrong during pregnancy and while nursing, and now that I know better I cannot have butter or yogurt or bloomin anything. And I cannot find water kefir grains here or even milk grains for that matter and everything I need I need to figure out a way to get it from the US. And I wish with all my heart I could just take her to a homeopath or ND or someone who will not give her hydrocortisone. And she keeps getting eczema and if she sleeps for longer than an hour and a half I think something is wrong because she never does that anymore. And now I am doing the stupid TED and cannot even eat rice because it really makes her eczema flare and all the oils I have to put on will basically wreck her brain because they are pure omega 6. And who knows if it will even work, because what if it is salicylates or amines or just being allergic to squash or sweet potato?!

Sorry. Bad day. : I just needed to get this out there and out of my system.
Gosh, that must be so tough mama. I am so sorry that you are limited in your resources and I wish I could help. I know how it feels to be stuck. I feel like I've done everything wrong pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy and even postpartum so far. But I think our babes are so lucky to have us for mamas because we are trying everything we can to make them healthy. So many people would have given up by now.

hang in there s

#185 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Okay, I have much to post about (just got all my test results in today!!), but dd is still awake, so I will just say this:

The guy at Custom Probiotics totally confuses me. He was super helpful the second time I called but when I went to order, he told me to think about it and call back with my order later. Then the 3rd and 4th time I called to order he told me he was busy and to call back. I called today saying I would like to place an order, he told me he was at lunch so call back in an hour. So I call back in an hour and he's sounding all rushed and stuff, or like he's too busy to talk with me, so after I ordered he asked me for my address and was getting all upset because I had to keep spelling out everything (he couldn't hear me well he said) so he said, "I wish the next you needed to order, you would do so online."

Umm...I just gave him $165 and would have spent more to get dd some, but he was kinda rude so I didn't want to. What the heck is up with this?! Please tell me that this is not a hoax or anything. This is the real stuff right?

Also, I looked into the Natren and Solaray Baby stuff and they both contain dairy. Any other sources I can look for dd?

More later...

#186 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post

Also, I looked into the Natren and Solaray Baby stuff and they both contain dairy. Any other sources I can look for dd?

More later...
What? Oh no! Please tell me this isn't true! Someone JUST told me that Solaray doesn't have dairy in it and I have a big order on the way here :
#187 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM

it said it may contain traces of dairy and soy.

I just didn't want to take the chance that she'd react.

#188 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM

oops...something went wrong with this post...let me start again...

#189 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 08:26 PM

Okay, let me start by saying that I had many blood tests done, as well as a stool sample following up my leaky gut test. Here are the results:

-I have Wilson's Syndrome (which I think is kind of weird because many of you were recently talking about this...) my T3 is low and my FreeT4 (is that what it's called?) is high
For this I will be taking a T3 supplement from Wellness Pharmacy, but I need to verify with the company what their fillers are. I also will be supplementing with ashwaganda (an herb)

-My progesterone is low (.7, normal range is 3-20) My ND thinks this may be because of my thyroid issue and adrenal glands. Does anyone know how this would affect nursing?

-My stool results came back with these things:

1) My pancreatic elastase is very low
2) My n-butyrate is low
3) My pH is more alkaline

And, probably the most alarming...

I have NO, I repeat NO, lactobacillus species in my gut. Nothing. Not even after taking probiotics for 4 years. I have bifidobacterium, but no lactobacillus. Isn't that weird? Why is this? Is it the leaky gut?

So I ordered some from Custom Probiotics. I'm hoping that will help.

Previous blood tests before concluded that:
1) I have very low cholesterol
2) I'm borderline anemic
3) my ALT or ALP (I forget which one is the right one, or possibly they are both high) levels are high (this was a big question mark for my ND)
4) my liver enzymes are high (possibly from my thyroid???)

Does anyone know anything about any of my test results? I'm going to look back and search for anything that was posted about Wilson's Syndrome. What about the fact that I have no L. anythings...is that FROM the leaky gut, or is my leaky gut FROM not having any of these? How do I know when I am starting to build them up in my gut?

My ND wants me to try homemade raw goat's milk yogurt. Is raw okay? I'm assuming it's better, but what about the "bad" bacteria in the raw milk? (I am totally clueless about this, so that may be a silly question.)

I know there is a great thread on here about making yogurt, but it's intimidating being x # of pages long!! Anyone here tell me these things off the top of their head:
What's the best yogurt maker to buy?
What's the best starter for goat's milk yogurt?

I know I ask a lot of questions on here and I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I feel so lucky to have the support I do from this thread. Thank you all

#190 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Okay, I have much to post about (just got all my test results in today!!), but dd is still awake, so I will just say this:

The guy at Custom Probiotics totally confuses me. He was super helpful the second time I called but when I went to order, he told me to think about it and call back with my order later. Then the 3rd and 4th time I called to order he told me he was busy and to call back. I called today saying I would like to place an order, he told me he was at lunch so call back in an hour. So I call back in an hour and he's sounding all rushed and stuff, or like he's too busy to talk with me, so after I ordered he asked me for my address and was getting all upset because I had to keep spelling out everything (he couldn't hear me well he said) so he said, "I wish the next you needed to order, you would do so online."

Umm...I just gave him $165 and would have spent more to get dd some, but he was kinda rude so I didn't want to. What the heck is up with this?! Please tell me that this is not a hoax or anything. This is the real stuff right?

More later...
I ordered a custom blend from custom probiotics and got it 2 days later, so (unless the probiotics aren't really probiotics or something!) they are legit. I did email him with the order, though, and he called me to confirm it and get credit card information. His customer service skills definitely need some improvement!

The Solaray BabyLife I bought for DD said it was dairy-free. I last bought it in October, though, so maybe they changed their formula.
#191 of 479 Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know anything about any of my test results? I'm going to look back and search for anything that was posted about Wilson's Syndrome. What about the fact that I have no L. anythings...is that FROM the leaky gut, or is my leaky gut FROM not having any of these? How do I know when I am starting to build them up in my gut?

My ND wants me to try homemade raw goat's milk yogurt. Is raw okay? I'm assuming it's better, but what about the "bad" bacteria in the raw milk? (I am totally clueless about this, so that may be a silly question.)

I know there is a great thread on here about making yogurt, but it's intimidating being x # of pages long!! Anyone here tell me these things off the top of their head:

I know I ask a lot of questions on here and I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I feel so lucky to have the support I do from this thread. Thank you all
I don't know anything about any of your test results. I do know that one of Annikate's DD's had a CDSA done and also had no lactobacillus. I don't know what could cause that, though.

There's a Salton yogurt maker on Amazon.com that several of us have used. I used a quart canning jar instead of the plastic jar it comes with and leave the lid off to keep it at the right temperature. You can use other goat's milk (or water buffalo, or sheep, etc) yogurt as your starter, or buy a non-dairy starter, but all the non-dairy starters I've found are very expensive ($40+). You can also just use probiotics as a starter. You can sterilize the raw milk by boiling it to 180 degrees then cooling it enough to add the starter (to around 110 degrees), although obviously the milk wouldn't be raw anymore. Or you can just heat it to 110 degrees and add the starter. I did it that way and I know JaneS did it that way as well. I didn't seem to have problems with not sterilizing the milk first. Good quality raw milk is great--it should be from primarily grass-fed animals, and you want to make sure their milking practices are sanitary.
#192 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM

More questions...they just don't stop popping into my head I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on these...

1) Does the fact that I don't have any lactobacillus species, but plenty of bifidobacterium in my gut affect dd?

2) Babies don't just "have" leaky gut because their mothers do, right?

3) Dd still has mucus in her poop. Does this mean that she is still reacting to other foods I am eating (even though she has no other symptoms now), or is it something internally that's going on regardless of what I eat?

4) My stool sample came back without any signs of yeast. This is quite accurate to determine if there is a yeast problem, correct?

5) Our ND saw how much dd wants food and said we could try her on homemade mashed organic carrots. What are the consequences of giving her these if her gut isn't "ready"? I've read much info on it that I could find on MDC, but I want to know what the consequences are. I truly believe that she is quite hungry and that is why the past two weeks she has been very cranky. She never refuses the boob, even 10 minutes after she last nursed. She never did this before...even during growth spurts.

TIA

#193 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
-I have Wilson's Syndrome (which I think is kind of weird because many of you were recently talking about this...) my T3 is low and my FreeT4 (is that what it's called?) is high
For this I will be taking a T3 supplement from Wellness Pharmacy, but I need to verify with the company what their fillers are. I also will be supplementing with ashwaganda (an herb)
WOW that is a freaky coincidence! Which supplement are you taking, can you link to it? Is it sustained release?
http://www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com/Medical.htm

I'm looking at the herbal WTSMed supplements to try, with advice of our holistic dietician who is very knowledgeable about this syndrome. With DS, we will probably to straight to T3 as I'm not comfortable with the amount of herbs and possible side effects in a child.

Quote:
-My progesterone is low (.7, normal range is 3-20) My ND thinks this may be because of my thyroid issue and adrenal glands. Does anyone know how this would affect nursing?
Do you have low supply?

Quote:
-My stool results came back with these things:

1) My pancreatic elastase is very low
2) My n-butyrate is low
3) My pH is more alkaline

And, probably the most alarming...

I have NO, I repeat NO, lactobacillus species in my gut. Nothing. Not even after taking probiotics for 4 years. I have bifidobacterium, but no lactobacillus. Isn't that weird? Why is this? Is it the leaky gut?

So I ordered some from Custom Probiotics. I'm hoping that will help.

Previous blood tests before concluded that:
1) I have very low cholesterol
2) I'm borderline anemic
3) my ALT or ALP (I forget which one is the right one, or possibly they are both high) levels are high (this was a big question mark for my ND)
4) my liver enzymes are high (possibly from my thyroid???)

We've been eating raw yogurt for a long time, DS for almost a year and me longer. Re: "bad" bacteria in the milk: there shouldn't be any. It should be grass fed and all utensils very clean. Raw milk contains protective factors that kill off bacteria introduced into it. More info on this at Organic Pastures in CA raw milk website.

I just use my oven, you can search on my name for oven method and HTG past threads.

You want a dairy free starter? If not I like both Yogourmet and Natren (sometimes I spike the latter with acidophilus or bifido, the former has acidophilus but I am on a Natren kick lately b/c of their super strains). The L. Casei in Progurt is not colonizing (benefits could end when you stop it).

The lack of lactobacillus could be one of the roots of your issues. Antibiotics the cause. Or WTS... I don't know this for sure but I wonder how a low body temp effects growth of our good bacteria?

What are your daily temps?

I'm sorry you have WTS but I'm glad that I now have a buddy to go thru this with!
#194 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
More questions...they just don't stop popping into my head I'm hoping someone here might have some insight on these...

1) Does the fact that I don't have any lactobacillus species, but plenty of bifidobacterium in my gut affect dd?

2) Babies don't just "have" leaky gut because their mothers do, right?

3) Dd still has mucus in her poop. Does this mean that she is still reacting to other foods I am eating (even though she has no other symptoms now), or is it something internally that's going on regardless of what I eat?

4) My stool sample came back without any signs of yeast. This is quite accurate to determine if there is a yeast problem, correct?

5) Our ND saw how much dd wants food and said we could try her on homemade mashed organic carrots. What are the consequences of giving her these if her gut isn't "ready"? I've read much info on it that I could find on MDC, but I want to know what the consequences are. I truly believe that she is quite hungry and that is why the past two weeks she has been very cranky. She never refuses the boob, even 10 minutes after she last nursed. She never did this before...even during growth spurts.

TIA
These are difficult to answer with any suriety. They are good questions though!

Did you read the post "Infants and Gut Flora" in Cheat Sheet? Babes get their flora from their mamas. Also what they eat, whether they take antibx (or mama does), and vaccines. The quality of mama's milk makes a big difference and that would depend a great deal on her digestion and nutrition.

I've heard many stories that stool tests are not necessarily the best for dx yeast. Did you have pathogenic bacteria tested?

DD's Mucus: very hard to say. Could be yeast. Could be food reaction. How much? How often? Firefaery might know more on this.

How old is she? When starting on foods rotate them carefully every 3-4 days taking notes. Carrots with high beta carotene can overwhelm immature livers, not really good to overdose on the beta c. foods. I'm not so sure that WAPF is wrong about fats and protein foods being better as first foods (see Feeding Babies www.westonaprice.org.

The consequences...? Well, my DS who is allergic to 25 foods?? Eczema. Asthma, which has been shown to be just the next step on in the "Allergy March". Hard to say what will happen with each individual. Just go really slow. At least you know what to watch for now...a lot more than I did!
#195 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Whoops, you probably want dairy free. What about just using goat yogurt, can you get that where you are? Otherwise, Progurt is only dairy free starter that I know. I can send you some for several batches if you want to PM me ... its ridiculously expensive to not be sure you can use it. (Although it's getting warm outside, not sure how it will survive thru mail, but we can just have you do a double amount. You'll know by taste if it grows.)
#196 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You can use Natren Dairy Free Bifido Factor. http://store.natren.com/Merchant2/me...Category_Code=
(And Mega dophilus and Digesta Lac are also available in dairy free chickpea base too.) I don't know for sure if the original cultures came on dairy, you should check with them... but I guess no b/c they use different strains for dairy and dairy free products.

...is that the issue with Solaray BabyLife although the ingredients are dairy free? I guess we have to exactly know HOW dairy free it is?? (Oy.)
#197 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Jane, I have heard of Wilson's but some of the symptoms don't match. I will check with my naturopath about it.
I don't have all symptoms either and that's pretty normal, the body temps are the key.
#198 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM

mum2be--what about giving your DD homemade jello as a first food? That's the least-likely-to-be-harmful thing I can think of. You could either just give her bone broth that's jelled, or use gelatin in water with a bit of fruit juice for flavoring. The gelatin would be good for her gut as well.

I waited until 8-9 months to start my DD on solids and apparently it was still too early as she now reacts to every one of the first foods I gave her consistently (squash, avocado, coconut oil/coconut milk, and eggs).
#199 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
WOW that is a freaky coincidence! Which supplement are you taking, can you link to it? Is it sustained release?
http://www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com/Medical.htm

I'm looking at the herbal WTSMed supplements to try, with advice of our holistic dietician who is very knowledgeable about this syndrome. With DS, we will probably to straight to T3 as I'm not comfortable with the amount of herbs and possible side effects in a child.

Do you have low supply?

We've been eating raw yogurt for a long time, DS for almost a year and me longer. Re: "bad" bacteria in the milk: there shouldn't be any. It should be grass fed and all utensils very clean. Raw milk contains protective factors that kill off bacteria introduced into it. More info on this at Organic Pastures in CA raw milk website.

I just use my oven, you can search on my name for oven method and HTG past threads.

You want a dairy free starter? If not I like both Yogourmet and Natren (sometimes I spike the latter with acidophilus or bifido, the former has acidophilus but I am on a Natren kick lately b/c of their super strains). The L. Casei in Progurt is not colonizing (benefits could end when you stop it).

The lack of lactobacillus could be one of the roots of your issues. Antibiotics the cause. Or WTS... I don't know this for sure but I wonder how a low body temp effects growth of our good bacteria?

What are your daily temps?

I'm sorry you have WTS but I'm glad that I now have a buddy to go thru this with!

For the WTS, she hasn't given me an Rx for it yet because I have to call and see what they use for fillers. It is the sustained release T3.
She gave me Ashwagandha powder and capsules to support my adrenal glands. I am taking 3 capsules of 500mg each a day. And two teaspoons of the powder, instead of the pills if I would like. (The powder is better, but more of a pain to take and tastes icky!)

I looked at that website and it's scary how exact everything has to be! With a baby to take care of, that's hard : I'm going to look through the online dr.'s manual to get more info. Thanks for the link

I've been suspecting a low supply (not severe) for a while but it was attributed to my very limited diet and caloric intake. Dd has been nursing like crazy, and will never refuse the boob if I offer, which is unlike her. I figured she is constantly hungry and is probably ready for some solids. I wonder how else low progesterone effects your body...off to look up more in a bit

We live out in the country and have so many neighbors with goats, but I have no idea how sanitary their milking process is...I was hoping to get it from one of them, but who knows...I could always ask at the co-op! I will look into those yogurt starters...thanks!!

#200 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 PM

I have lots more to say later (sorry to hog the read...I swear I won't do this for much longer ) but I just wanted to add that I got dd Nature's Way Kids primadopholis (i totally didn't spell that right, huh?). It says for kids under two 1/2 teaspoon between meals. (Ha...that would be funny...she nurses every 10 minutes!)

It said it might contain traces of dairy, but I figured what the heck...I would just go for it.

How do I get this into her? Before I let her have some on a spoon, but it was flavored with apricot, so she liked it, plus the FOS made is sweet.

Can I put a little in just a bit of water and put it in a bottle? Or is that a no-no? She won't take this off a spoon like the other stuff.

#201 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I've been suspecting a low supply (not severe) for a while but it was attributed to my very limited diet and caloric intake. Dd has been nursing like crazy, and will never refuse the boob if I offer, which is unlike her. I figured she is constantly hungry and is probably ready for some solids. I wonder how else low progesterone effects your body...off to look up more in a bit
Have you tried red raspberry leaf infusions to help your supply? I started drinking them a couple of weeks ago to try to encourage my PP AF to come back so we can TTC again, and WOW! I think my milk supply has about doubled, and I've never had any supply issues.
#202 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
These are difficult to answer with any suriety. They are good questions though!

Did you read the post "Infants and Gut Flora" in Cheat Sheet? Babes get their flora from their mamas. Also what they eat, whether they take antibx (or mama does), and vaccines. The quality of mama's milk makes a big difference and that would depend a great deal on her digestion and nutrition.

I've heard many stories that stool tests are not necessarily the best for dx yeast. Did you have pathogenic bacteria tested?

DD's Mucus: very hard to say. Could be yeast. Could be food reaction. How much? How often? Firefaery might know more on this.

How old is she? When starting on foods rotate them carefully every 3-4 days taking notes. Carrots with high beta carotene can overwhelm immature livers, not really good to overdose on the beta c. foods. I'm not so sure that WAPF is wrong about fats and protein foods being better as first foods (see Feeding Babies www.westonaprice.org.

The consequences...? Well, my DS who is allergic to 25 foods?? Eczema. Asthma, which has been shown to be just the next step on in the "Allergy March". Hard to say what will happen with each individual. Just go really slow. At least you know what to watch for now...a lot more than I did!

Yes, I had pathogenic bacteria tested. It came up negative. Does this mean I probably don't have Candida? (I hope so!)

I did read the infant and gut flora cheat sheet. I guess I'm wondering because everyone is saying that a baby's gut is made up of bifidobacterium, right? Well, I have normal levels of that, but the lactobacillus I don't have any. So if their guts aren't made up of lactobacillus (I know they need some of it though) then is dd okay gut flora wise? I have been supplementing her with Pharmax Neonate for months 2-4, and Pharmax high potency powder months 4-6. Now I just got the Nature's Way kids primadophilos which has more CFUs than the Neonate one.

The poop has been mucusy since birth pretty much. Well, probably more like week 6 it started. Then she went 2-3 months of very runny, watery blowouts once a day. Then in January when I started adding more and more things into my diet, the mucus started again. I'm guessing they are related though.

She's never had antibiotics, nor have I since pregnancy or birth. She is not vaxed either. The only other supplements she has taken are homeopathic or an herbal supplement for gas from the ND.

She REALLY wants food and it breaks my heart to deny it. I've never seen a baby want it this badly. I picked up some jarred organic squash at the store after reading your thoughts on carrots. I was never going to give my child mushy food, and thought it best to do finger foods, but she just wants it so badly and has no teeth yet. I don't want her choking on a piece of avocado or anything...

I'm worried about her reacting and problems starting, but I guess I wonder if she just reacts to the foods MY body sees as allergens that I eat. They don't get broken down and get into my milk and she has issues with that. How do I know if she has bad gut flora (I know it's not ideal, but who knows how bad it is) or if she is just reacting to the way the food proteins are getting into my milk? KWIM? Have I screwed up her digestive system by nursing her with my leaky gut? :

She is healthy, no skin issues, is growing well, etc. Other than the mucus and mucusy spit-ups, she's perfectly fine.

It's such a hard decision and I know everyone is pretty much telling me to hold off, but it's hard when your babe is miserable because you won't give them anything...

Oh, and I thought her poor sleeping was due to discomfort and food reactions...well, she went from sleeping 45 minute intervals, nursing all night long, and being awake from 2-5 a.m. to sleeping in her own crib, waking twice a night, and having no gas or discomfort. Much of it was sleep related because she was so sleep deprived. We saw a new ped. for a consult (AP friendly) and she had us try this new sleep plan, and it's worked out pretty well.
So now I don't know what's what anymore...

#203 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Have you tried red raspberry leaf infusions to help your supply? I started drinking them a couple of weeks ago to try to encourage my PP AF to come back so we can TTC again, and WOW! I think my milk supply has about doubled, and I've never had any supply issues.
I've had the Mother's Milk tea and everytime I had a cup, I woke up the next morning engorged! Now when I drink it nothing much happens. I'd probably have to up my consumption quite a bit. Perhaps I should try that! Thanks

#204 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
mum2be--what about giving your DD homemade jello as a first food? That's the least-likely-to-be-harmful thing I can think of. You could either just give her bone broth that's jelled, or use gelatin in water with a bit of fruit juice for flavoring. The gelatin would be good for her gut as well.

I waited until 8-9 months to start my DD on solids and apparently it was still too early as she now reacts to every one of the first foods I gave her consistently (squash, avocado, coconut oil/coconut milk, and eggs).
Really? I have no idea how to make it. Do you have a recipe?

Does your dd have a leaky gut? I'm wondering if both your dd and JaneS's ds reacted the way they did to solids because they had a leaky gut or candida. I could be very wrong, who knows...It's hard not knowing if dd has a leaky gut or not and I don't think she has candida, or it would be quite obvious, right?

Gosh, I'm just full of questions, aren't I? :

#205 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:

She REALLY wants food and it breaks my heart to deny it. I've never seen a baby want it this badly. I picked up some jarred organic squash at the store after reading your thoughts on carrots. I was never going to give my child mushy food, and thought it best to do finger foods, but she just wants it so badly and has no teeth yet. I don't want her choking on a piece of avocado or anything...

I'm worried about her reacting and problems starting, but I guess I wonder if she just reacts to the foods MY body sees as allergens that I eat. They don't get broken down and get into my milk and she has issues with that. How do I know if she has bad gut flora (I know it's not ideal, but who knows how bad it is) or if she is just reacting to the way the food proteins are getting into my milk? KWIM? Have I screwed up her digestive system by nursing her with my leaky gut? :

She is healthy, no skin issues, is growing well, etc. Other than the mucus and mucusy spit-ups, she's perfectly fine.

It's such a hard decision and I know everyone is pretty much telling me to hold off, but it's hard when your babe is miserable because you won't give them anything...

Oh, and I thought her poor sleeping was due to discomfort and food reactions...well, she went from sleeping 45 minute intervals, nursing all night long, and being awake from 2-5 a.m. to sleeping in her own crib, waking twice a night, and having no gas or discomfort. Much of it was sleep related because she was so sleep deprived. We saw a new ped. for a consult (AP friendly) and she had us try this new sleep plan, and it's worked out pretty well.
So now I don't know what's what anymore...
Did you see my post earlier today about trying homemade jello for a first food?

This is JMO, but...since a baby inherits the mother's gut flora during the trip down the birth canal, it seems likely that if the mother's gut flora is less-than-ideal, baby's will be, too. Once she starts eating a few solids you'll have a pretty good idea about the condition of her gut as she'll either react (or not) to foods that she eats one way or another.

Would you mind sharing your sleep plan with me? I'm at my wits' end trying to figure out how to get my DD to sleep better (and go to sleep in the first place).
#206 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Really? I have no idea how to make it. Do you have a recipe?

Does your dd have a leaky gut? I'm wondering if both your dd and JaneS's ds reacted the way they did to solids because they had a leaky gut or candida. I could be very wrong, who knows...It's hard not knowing if dd has a leaky gut or not and I don't think she has candida, or it would be quite obvious, right?

Gosh, I'm just full of questions, aren't I? :
I think we're cross-posting here! I just did a search for "homemade jello" and substituted gelatin from the HFS for the Knox gelatin the recipe called for. It worked fine except DD wouldn't eat it

I'm sure DD does have a leaky gut...whether she had one when she started solids, I don't know. And I still don't know if she has candida or not. I thought she did but she's never had any symptoms that are definite indicators of candida (like thrush), and the symptoms she does have could be due to a bunch of other things, so who knows.
#207 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM

I just responded to your post about jello

The sleep plan is hard on us mamas because it involves our little ones crying in arms. But the ped. was right about dd needing to learn how to fall asleep on her own. She was waking every 45 minutes because that was her sleep cycle and she didn't know how to fall back asleep. It got to the point where she was sleeping 7 hours a day. I was sleeping around 3-4, so we HAD to try something. Go here to read my blog post about it and if you have any questions, PM me!

Oh and fyi...she is doing fine with one night nursing now and does not appear to be hungry when I try to feed her the other times she might wake up.

#208 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM

Has anyone here used kombucha?? I just bought some at the HFS and went to look up stuff about it to see how much I should drink. I found this which is a bit scary. But I know that store bought it probably safe.

If you drink it, how much do you drink a day? I've heard 2-4 oz.

Is it as beneficial as yogurt?

#209 of 479 Old 03-14-2007, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

wow... i skip a day and miss a lot. found this link (http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Kgb7f...sjmULpwU-?cq=1) through other means and thought i'd share. more wow.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#210 of 479 Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 AM

Jane, when are you supposed to temp and how often? My temps are all over the place.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page