Healing the Gut -- March thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
wow... i skip a day and miss a lot. found this link (http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-Kgb7f...sjmULpwU-?cq=1) through other means and thought i'd share. more wow.
Does he ever say what is in the baggie?
#242 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 AM

Oh, Caedmyn, they used to cook with pork fat here. Honestly, I am getting used to the idea of other animal fats, but pork, yuck! We were in a village a while back during hog slaughtering festival and everything, everything was cooked in pork fat. I had a really hard time.
#243 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Yeah, in one of the blogs...#10 or 13 or 16...something like that.
#244 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Oh, Caedmyn, they used to cook with pork fat here. Honestly, I am getting used to the idea of other animal fats, but pork, yuck! We were in a village a while back during hog slaughtering festival and everything, everything was cooked in pork fat. I had a really hard time.
I don't know how they raise the pigs, but if the pigs eat a normal pig diet the fat is great to use. I just recently started using lard for baking and it makes things really moist and light. It might taste a bit odd to me for cooking, though, I don't know. Are you coming from a vegetarian/vegan background, or just trying to adjust to the saturated-fats-are-good mentality?
#245 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
yes... you have to dig for it... 21 different supplements

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#246 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I was eating 5-6 cloves of raw garlic a day and it didn't bother DD any. Have you been taking digestive enzymes in between meals? The ones I mentioned are designed to be taken in between meals to kill yeast. Most candida diets also eliminate fruit and dairy and limit or eliminate grains and starchy veggies like potatoes and yams.
Mum2be:

Yes I would ditto taking enzymes between meals. They are the gentlest method I think and I found them immediately effective. Raw garlic really bothered me.

If you take both proteases and cellulases between meals it won't necessarily matter what type of dysbiosis you have IME.
#247 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Mum2be:

Yes I would ditto taking enzymes between meals. They are the gentlest method I think and I found them immediately effective. Raw garlic really bothered me.

If you take both proteases and cellulases between meals it won't necessarily matter what type of dysbiosis you have IME.
Any recs for a brand? The ones I get now from my ND are $26 and I can't afford to go through them any faster than I already am!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#248 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Any recs for a brand? The ones I get now from my ND are $26 and I can't afford to go through them any faster than I already am!
http://www.vitacost.com/RenewLifeCandiZyme (Candizyme)
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Candida-...nagement/cas-1 (generic version of Candex...this one is cellulase only, no proteases)
http://www.throppsnutrition.com/ps_ElitezymeUltra.htm (digestive enzymes to be taken with meals...$18/bottle with multiple purchase discounts...I would imagine these are just as good as the ones you're getting from your naturopath)
#249 of 479 Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Do you think enzymes in between meals would help improve digestion? I've been having problems with bloating/gas again I've been taking the stronger of Thropp's enzymes both with and between meals.
#250 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Do you think enzymes in between meals would help improve digestion? I've been having problems with bloating/gas again I've been taking the stronger of Thropp's enzymes both with and between meals.
Enzymes between meals: hands down one of the best things I've ever done for my gut.
#251 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 PM

I have to say although probably most expensive (although maybe Enzymedica tops them) Houston's enzymes really are the best. The Peptizyde especially.
#252 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Another question again...

Has anyone in the HTG tribe ever been "cured"? I mean, do we know anyone who had a leaky gut who is now fine and their dc too?

Will it take forever to fix my leaky gut? I've noticed a lot of you have been healing for a long time.

I guess it's just frustrating feeling like we're on our own with this. My dh is getting really angry that the only thing I can "do" is read stuff online and get help from people here. He wants a quick fix (as do I, but I know there isn't one) and is frustrated that I haven't gotten better yet...

#253 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM

This was on the Peptizyde part of the website:

Reported Side Effects
In children sensitive to gluten and casein, initial use of Peptizyde™ may result in "exorphin-peptide withdrawal syndrome", as exorphin peptides are decreased in system. This may present as hyperactivity, irritability, increased aggression, tantrums, etc. for a period of several days to as long as a month. In most cases, this syndrome is resolved when dosing of 1 capsule per meal is obtained for a period of several days. Most parents report the cessation of negative behaviors after about 3 weeks. Often, the syndrome can be minimized by starting with low doses (¼ - ½ capsule) and working up to 1 capsule per meal within about 2 weeks. If behavior during this initial dosing becomes a concern, stop the enzyme supplementation for a period of 2 weeks (or until child returns to former behavior), then re-introduce Peptizyde™ at a much reduced dose and increase dosing at a much slower rate than previously used. Many parents also reported that decreasing or discontinuing certain vitamin supplements containing high amounts of B6 or P5P would alleviate much of the hyperactivity. Addition of HN-Zyme Prime to Peptizyde™ supplementation also seemed to reduce side effects from opiate withdrawal syndrome.

Honestly, I can't take anymore feelings of aggression! Is that normal with food allergies/leaky gut? Gosh, I've never felt so angry in my life! I HATE it!! JaneS...did you find this to be true when you took it?

So, these are for in between meals? Like twice a day?

This is what I am taking now that I get from my ND. I don't know enough to be able to compare this to any other brands.

I hate having to take so many pills a day. My diet is horrible (still lacking a lot of things) so I should really be taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, but I hate to have to add MORE and also the extra $ spent would be hard...

Enough for now. I have a major headache and it's been a rough couple of days...

#254 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Anyone know anything about this brand? Does this look like a good supplement? It's so cheap, that I have to wonder...

#255 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Another question again...

Has anyone in the HTG tribe ever been "cured"? I mean, do we know anyone who had a leaky gut who is now fine and their dc too?

Will it take forever to fix my leaky gut? I've noticed a lot of you have been healing for a long time.

I guess it's just frustrating feeling like we're on our own with this. My dh is getting really angry that the only thing I can "do" is read stuff online and get help from people here. He wants a quick fix (as do I, but I know there isn't one) and is frustrated that I haven't gotten better yet...
Well what do you consider cured? I think I can say yes. I can eat "regular food" without enzymes, just had pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries this AM at a friends house... no bloating or gas. I won't go into detail about poop quality but let me just say it's better.

However, I think do still need to be on intensive probiotics and do a traditional diet, lots of bone broths, CLO, soaked grain/low grain, low sugar, etc. But this is how I want to eat. I'll never go back to soy or harsh unsoaked grains or lots of sugar, I know better now.

DS is doing very well on his Rotation Diet with enzymes. He is sleeping better, skin looks great, poo's are generally good but tends to have constipation issues a bit, not that serious. Hardly ever diarrhea/soft stools now, that used to be his major problem and was clearly b/c his body was trying to expell allergens.

He ate RAW APPLE (with smoked salmon and you would've thought he was given ice cream he was so thrilled ) last week and did great!!! This is huge for him.

It's been a long road for us though. I didn't do things right in the beginning that's for sure, took longer than it might have needed to, but at least we are here now.
#256 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
This was on the Peptizyde part of the website:

Reported Side Effects
In children sensitive to gluten and casein, initial use of Peptizyde™ may result in "exorphin-peptide withdrawal syndrome", as exorphin peptides are decreased in system. This may present as hyperactivity, irritability, increased aggression, tantrums, etc. for a period of several days to as long as a month. In most cases, this syndrome is resolved when dosing of 1 capsule per meal is obtained for a period of several days. Most parents report the cessation of negative behaviors after about 3 weeks. Often, the syndrome can be minimized by starting with low doses (¼ - ½ capsule) and working up to 1 capsule per meal within about 2 weeks. If behavior during this initial dosing becomes a concern, stop the enzyme supplementation for a period of 2 weeks (or until child returns to former behavior), then re-introduce Peptizyde™ at a much reduced dose and increase dosing at a much slower rate than previously used. Many parents also reported that decreasing or discontinuing certain vitamin supplements containing high amounts of B6 or P5P would alleviate much of the hyperactivity. Addition of HN-Zyme Prime to Peptizyde™ supplementation also seemed to reduce side effects from opiate withdrawal syndrome.

Honestly, I can't take anymore feelings of aggression! Is that normal with food allergies/leaky gut? Gosh, I've never felt so angry in my life! I HATE it!! JaneS...did you find this to be true when you took it?

This is what I am taking now that I get from my ND. I don't know enough to be able to compare this to any other brands.

I hate having to take so many pills a day. My diet is horrible (still lacking a lot of things) so I should really be taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, but I hate to have to add MORE and also the extra $ spent would be hard...

Yes, I had massive anxiety/panic feelings when starting Peptizyde. Like I drank an entire pot of coffee, it was not fun. I had to stop completely for a time (forget how long) then slowly, starting with a small amount with breakfast.

Do you have mood issues when not taking the enzymes? They are absolutely related to leaky gut... your gut creates the neurotransmitters. Your amino acids (from proteins) are directly responsible for making the brain fuel. A great book is The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. It really helped me see personality differently. I went through insomnia and anxiety, all directly related to what my gut was doing at the time. And my nutritional stores.

What about bone broths? I think that is the biggest nutritional bang for your buck for minerals and amino acids and gelatin. It has L glutamine.

I'm not sure what to say about the pills... sometimes we really need the boost from supplements because we cannot eat enough of the right foods to get us better. But generally I try to stick to food supplements: cod liver oil, liver capsules, amla form of vitamin C. I do take selenium pills though.
#257 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:

I am so sorry your DD still won't sleep--my DD didn't sleep as poorly as yours but there have been so many times when I just felt like I couldn't do it one more day. I just keep telling myself: Someday she WILL go to sleep by herself and sleep ALL NIGHT LONG!

This quote from the enzyme website pretty much sums it up: "The blend of enzymes is unique because it is active across a broad pH range in the digestive tract.†" How much of a difference that makes vs. a much cheaper good quality enzyme like Thropps, I don't know. Maybe you could ask your naturopath what she thinks?
#258 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 PM

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but...does anyone know how to tell if you're bloated? Sometimes I can tell I'm bloated, but a lot of times I wonder if I am but can't really tell. My stomach is flattest first thing in the morning but gets big after meals and never really deflates til the next day. But my meals are pretty bulky, so I'm not sure how much of that is just normal due to portion size.
#259 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Anyone know anything about this brand? Does this look like a good supplement? It's so cheap, that I have to wonder...
I've used their version of Candex and it seems to be okay as far as I can tell...I think it helps. It's kind of a generic brand as far as I can tell so the prices are low but the quality is still decent. FWIW, I'd buy their products if they ever have the things I want.
#260 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I hope the kinesiology thing works for you guys. Good luck with your trial! was so disappointed that Naet didn't work for us, but I'm still hopeful that dd will outgrow her allergies if we can avoid them for the next 2 yrs or so.
How long did it take for you to find out that NAET doesn't work?

I convinced my DH to go to his first appt today with an NAET practitioner, and she does testing and said based on his results, there was a good chance they would have to do the entire protocol -- which she said was not the average in her patients. And of course, she tries to push some supplements on us(glutamine, Saccharomyces boulardii). I asked her if we should try to heal his gut before we do NAET, she seemed like both together would help.

And as far as Chinese herbs, she pushes pills rather than real herbs. I asked her why, and her response was that unless you lived out in CA and had a China Town, it was not cost effective to stock so many herbs, and that most people were "lazy" and wanted the pills. She said she gets 1 or 2 at most/year who want to real herbs. Which leads to my next question: if she knows nothing about how these herbs are processed into these tiny little capsules, how would I know they are not causing more problems?

My poor DH's quality of life is horrible when his allergies break out(phenomenal fatigue), and it is really sad to hear ignorant stupid coworkers ask if he is contagious, because he is covered in pink splotchy spots -- so he wears long sleeve shirts all the time now. I know most people here are dealing with issues in their kids, but I'm honestly open to any advice you can give...It was hard enough for me to convince him to try YET another practitioners since western medicine has failed us, but I just did not get the warm and fuzzies about this woman....

Any input would be greatly appreciated ladies. Sorry if this was too long.
#261 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Enzymes between meals: hands down one of the best things I've ever done for my gut.
What brand of enzymes do you take, and what dose did you start at? I took some after the birth of DS b/c I ended up getting antibiotics, and I had the most horrible stomach aches for weeks on end. When I searched, I read a VARIETY of different reasons, ranging from that the bad stuff was dying off, there was an overgrowth of the good stuff, the product was bad, etc....You seem to have had success, and I was just curious HOW you did it....
#262 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
How long did it take for you to find out that NAET doesn't work?

I convinced my DH to go to his first appt today with an NAET practitioner, and she does testing and said based on his results, there was a good chance they would have to do the entire protocol -- which she said was not the average in her patients. And of course, she tries to push some supplements on us(glutamine, Saccharomyces boulardii). I asked her if we should try to heal his gut before we do NAET, she seemed like both together would help.

And as far as Chinese herbs, she pushes pills rather than real herbs. I asked her why, and her response was that unless you lived out in CA and had a China Town, it was not cost effective to stock so many herbs, and that most people were "lazy" and wanted the pills. She said she gets 1 or 2 at most/year who want to real herbs. Which leads to my next question: if she knows nothing about how these herbs are processed into these tiny little capsules, how would I know they are not causing more problems?

My poor DH's quality of life is horrible when his allergies break out(phenomenal fatigue), and it is really sad to hear ignorant stupid coworkers ask if he is contagious, because he is covered in pink splotchy spots -- so he wears long sleeve shirts all the time now. I know most people here are dealing with issues in their kids, but I'm honestly open to any advice you can give...It was hard enough for me to convince him to try YET another practitioners since western medicine has failed us, but I just did not get the warm and fuzzies about this woman....

Are the pills capsuled herbs? Did you ask her what she knows about them? I don't think it's necessarily bad to use herbs in capsules (if that's what she's recommending) instead of herbs to make into teas/infusions or whatever, and they would be easier to take that way.

What types of things is your DH allergic to? Has he tried any special diets (other than avoiding the allergens)?
#263 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
He's almost three and has been constipated most of his life He loves yogurt so that's good from a probiotic standpoint. Unfortunately he's developed bad eczema on his bottom and it's spreading. Makes me wonder about food allergies (dairy,wheat/gluten). Just talked to dh about taking him to a ND a few hours away from here but dh wants to exhaust the local, insurance covered options first : Oh well, at least he's open. I think everything is the bottom line ($$$) with him.
Would you mind sharing this ND or PMing it? I have never been to an ND, and a friend had a not so good experience with 2 that are 'close' to us....so we will probably have to travel several to find one....but luckily for me, my DH realizes that all the money in the world doesn't mean much if he is sick all the time...
#264 of 479 Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Are the pills capsuled herbs? Did you ask her what she knows about them? I don't think it's necessarily bad to use herbs in capsules (if that's what she's recommending) instead of herbs to make into teas/infusions or whatever, and they would be easier to take that way.

What types of things is your DH allergic to? Has he tried any special diets (other than avoiding the allergens)?
We have tried avoiding food, such as no dairy for months on end, without any help. His lips will swell up almost instantly if he eats anything spicy, dairy, citrus -- which is a good way for us to tell what he doesn't tolerate. But the GI symptoms don't always match the skin reactions either. We have never followed any of the diets I have read here. Although Jane S's Rotation Diet seems interesting enough to try. We even started WAPF and NT recently, and no improvement. Granted we aren't perfect, but much much better than we have ever been before. If you have any diet suggestions, I am ALL ears

And when I asked the AP today if she knew HOW the herbs are processed, she said she is not a scientist, and doesn't know how they are made! Basically brushed us off. I ask this stuff because DH had allergy shots(which he failed) and we found out LATER that he was allergic to the preservatives in the allergy shots! I know that the herbs would be easier to take in as a pill, but EASIER is often what has gotten us into trouble, from the way we eat, to finding a practitioner. Honestly, I would rather have more difficulty in my life if I can get his allergies somewhat under control. I know it sounds insane, but when a practitioner pushes the easy button, my alarms just go off.
#265 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 AM

Body Ecology Diet
Has anyone read this book, familiar with the website, or followed the diet? I spoke to few people with candida problems and they said that "hands down, the best book and diet to follow for candida overgrowth".

Here is the website:

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/

Also - do you guys prepare young coconut kefir? Heard it's great for healing the gut...
#266 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
We have tried avoiding food, such as no dairy for months on end, without any help. His lips will swell up almost instantly if he eats anything spicy, dairy, citrus -- which is a good way for us to tell what he doesn't tolerate. But the GI symptoms don't always match the skin reactions either. We have never followed any of the diets I have read here. Although Jane S's Rotation Diet seems interesting enough to try. We even started WAPF and NT recently, and no improvement. Granted we aren't perfect, but much much better than we have ever been before. If you have any diet suggestions, I am ALL ears

And when I asked the AP today if she knew HOW the herbs are processed, she said she is not a scientist, and doesn't know how they are made! Basically brushed us off. I ask this stuff because DH had allergy shots(which he failed) and we found out LATER that he was allergic to the preservatives in the allergy shots! I know that the herbs would be easier to take in as a pill, but EASIER is often what has gotten us into trouble, from the way we eat, to finding a practitioner. Honestly, I would rather have more difficulty in my life if I can get his allergies somewhat under control. I know it sounds insane, but when a practitioner pushes the easy button, my alarms just go off.
I would probably be more concerned with the AP knowing what the herbs are supposed to do than with knowing how they're processed, but that's just me. I can understand your concern with her seeming lack of knowledge.

You could look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and the Failsafe Diet...I'd probably look at Failsafe first. Here's a link:
www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com
#267 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 AM

this was posted recently in a local (bay area) email parents' network i get:

Quote:
Cocamide DEA allergy
-------------------------------------------
I've been diagnosed with a contact allergy to Cocamide DEA and advised to stay away from any products containing coconut derivatives. It was easy to find a bar soap without coconut oil. It turns out my conditioner is also coconut free, but finding a shampoo is turning out to be a real stickler, as is any kind of liquid hand soap.

If anyone knows of a product they can recommend it'd be great, especially one available locally. I am unsure about the ingredients of dish soap and laundry detergent because they don't list them. (At least what I have here...)

Does anyone else have this allergy and figured this out? My dermatologist wasn't sure about dish soap and seemed to think that laundry detergent wasn't something I needed to worry about, we use All Free and Clear. I wear gloves for dishes mostly, but it'd sure be nice not to have to... If anyone has a favorite web site along these topic lines please pass it along!
anyone with coconut allergy who considered shampoo/soaps as an issue? if so, what do you use? my first thought was dr bronner's, but it's coconut.

my signature is usually illegible
#268 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about that. I know what it's like. I have pink patches on around my eyes, my hands, my face, as well as other places...people look at me like I'm contagious and some mothers even take their dc away from me It makes me feel horrible. So I know how he feels

What else have you tried. Have you tried the things on the HTG cheat sheet? I've heard that NAET does wonders for some people and not much for others. I guess it depends on if you have the money to spare. It's just one more thing to try and certainly won't hurt. But if you really need to scrape together money to do it, I would do everything you can to heal his gut first. We almost did NAET, but it's super expensive and I would have to go twice a week for months and it's an hour away. With a 6 month old, that's almost impossible

I don't know your dh's particular problem...is it just a leaky gut? Have you looked into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet at all?

#269 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but...does anyone know how to tell if you're bloated? Sometimes I can tell I'm bloated, but a lot of times I wonder if I am but can't really tell. My stomach is flattest first thing in the morning but gets big after meals and never really deflates til the next day. But my meals are pretty bulky, so I'm not sure how much of that is just normal due to portion size.
Let's see....how do I put this? I didn't know I was bloated, until I WASN'T bloated! I always felt the same as you described. Tummy is flat in the morning, then after I ate it would get big. But since on this restricted diet, I never feel that "big" feeling after I eat. Sure, I feel full, but not "bloated."

Does that make any sense?

#270 of 479 Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM

I've been going back and reading past HTG threads and have a new question (yes ladies, they never stop popping into my head )...

It seems like there are a variety of diets people use to heal their guts and other issues. Is there one in particular that people have had the greatest results with.

I'm torn because dd reacts to things I consume through my milk, either because *I* do, or because she does. So adding new foods seems scary, but I don't think I can heal on this restricted diet I'm on now.

I've never had any bad bowel problems other than constipation (well, not so much constipation, but I have never been "regular") but not enough to cause me any discomfort. It just seems like I have a really bad leaky gut, no absorption issues (the test results confirmed this) so I'm wondering what diet I should be leaning towards.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page