Leg/foot turning, muscle weakness in infant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is nearly five weeks old and since birth there has been some concern over his legs (right especially) turning more than the norm. for a newborn/infant.

We saw a home health nurse yesterday and she noticed as well that he has muscle weakness in his legs - again, mostly the right leg and foot. Whenever our doctor (and yesterday the nurse) hold him up in a standing position, his legs buckle and he can't support himself at all. I know he is very young yet, but I'm still concerned.

He is gaining weight really well, but his legs are very, very small. They seem to not be filling out along with the rest of his body.

Anyone have a similar experience? Would you mind to share what, if anything, needed to be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Hi, congratulations on your new babe! Have you seen a pediatrician about your concerns? How was your birth? Did you have any complications? How is the movement in his legs? My son was born with one leg that was white from lack of circulation, due to his position and being stuck in the birth canal, but it went to a normal color again soon after. The doctor an some pediatricians seemed quite concerned about it at the time, but now he is fine.
#3 of 3 Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Was anything mentioned about clubfeet or a clubfoot? My ds was born with bilateral (means both were affected) clubfeet. His legs were/are smaller and shorter than normal, esp. in the calves. The feet are much smaller too. Does your guy have kind of short, fat feet and are the feet turning in (or the right foot...unilaterals are very very common as well)? Clubfoot is usually pretty obvious at birth, but I remember in all my reading that there was a more mild form of it that perhaps not as obvious. The weakness, though, doesn't sound familiar (though my guy was in constant casts very early on, so I wouldn't have noticed anyway). Maybe a trip to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon might help clear things up? That's who we see for the clubfeet. It's worth a bit of travel to see a pediatric one. They know kids and their problems much much better than the regular ortho. surgeons.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page