Mothering Forum banner

Natural remedies for a fussy 1 year old ??

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Quirky 
#1 ·
My 12.5 month old DD is, how shall I put this, a bit fussy these days! She is not ill (in fact, she just had 1 year checkup with ped who declared her in excellent health), I am pretty sure she is not teething (has 4 teeth above, 4 below... don't think molars come for a while right?)... basically, it seems to be your standard toddler fare. I have been doing all standard AP type things - carrying her a lot, avoiding separations, comfort nursing, etc. etc. - but to little avail. It is not just separation anxiety, but a general fussiness that has intensified in recent weeks. I wish she would be happier and more content, especially because I need to pay attention to twin brother DS too.

What are some natural / homeopathic and SAFE things I can do to calm her nerves a bit? I bought organic chamomile tea thinking it might work, but have hesitated to use it not knowing if it would, or if it's really safe. DD is 24 lbs. if that helps (re: dosages, etc.)

All my old Hyland's standbys seem to be greared toward infants or specific ailments. And I can't find anything called "Safe and mild magic bullet treatment for your fussy but otherwise healthy pre-toddler". :LOL :LOL

HELP!

#3 ·
CK's Mama and Princess... thank you for the recommendations. I will try.

As for wheat/dairy... she eats both, but has for awhile. I can r/o dairy because she's been eating yogurt since she was 8 months old or so, with no issues. Wheat - we introduced around 10 months, but I haven't noticed a pattern.
: I wonder how long to notice food-related issues?

Neither dh nor I have any history of allergies and ds is symptom free too. It does make me wonder though...

With twins, I hate the thought of making separate meals for everyone, but am willing to try anything. If I eliminated wheat for a few days, would I see a difference that quickly??

#4 ·
I generally consider yogurt as different than dairy. The active cultures in yogurt help with digestion, so yogurt is easily digested, and tolerated by people who may have dairy sensitivities. I think dairy elimination is where I would begin. I am no expert on dairy sensitivities though! so I am unsure of how long you eliminate to see results.
ANYONE?

#5 ·
OK, so I looked up her "symptoms" in a homeopathic remedy index in a natural food store, and you all certainly know what you're talking about!! NOT that I'd ever doubted that!!

DD seems to fall under "Irritability" :LOL and it looks like Chamomile was made for her... Fussing which quiets somewhat upon being picked up, one red cheek one pale cheek (how specific! I LOVE that!), warm skin, etc. etc.

So I went a little overboard with chamomile exubarance, and am now stocked with:

* "Chamomile Calm" drops (thank you CK'sMama)
* Traditional Medicinals Chamomile tea (will also try Rooibos if needed Princess!)
* Camomila 9C pellets made by Boiron (thanks Trabot for PM)
* "Restless Child" quick-dissolve tablets (thanks Wendy for PM)

I think I'm going to start with Camomilia (the standard 3 pellets 3/day) and see how that works, otherwise I'll try one at a time.

YAY!
I'll post again in a few days and let you know how it's going...

#6 ·
My MD also recommended Pulsatilla for fussiness/crankiness, as well as Bach's Rescue Remedy.

Does she need more sleep? Evan gets pretty cranky when he doesn't get his full naps in. Is it possible she's not sleeping as well because she's being disturbed by her brother or something?

Is she working on any skills like standing, cruising, etc? I've read that a new skill in the works often throws them out of whack, and I've certainly seen it in retrospect - DS wakes up more often and is generally more on the edge when he's about to master a new skill.

Hang in there, and feel free to bring the babies over for a change of scenery!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.