Food stuck in sinuses? Perhaps TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-07-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always feel like there's something in my sinuses, between my nose and my throat. Kind of in that magic phlegm spot, if you know what I mean. It REALLY feels like it's food, or something. I swear that sometimes when I'm eating a piece of food will travel back and get caught, but how could that possibly be?

Once this happened while eating broccoli and I was able sort of cough/suck it out, but I think that was because broccoli is very bulbous and easy to dislodge; is it possible that smaller, smoother, more easily lodgable food particles are getting stuck in my sinuses??? I described this to a doctor once and she looked in my nose and said that I have allergies, but that was some time ago and this is really the only problem I've ever had with my sinuses. I'm scared of those sinus cleanses, but I'm getting more and more willing to try one. Any ideas? Has this ever, oh please oh please, happened to anyone else?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

As much as I'd like to hide my dorky problem, I'm going to have to

#3 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 AM

Hmmm...not sure! Have you ever tried to flush out that area with a neti pot? I know that magic phlegm spot that you speak of--and the neti pot is the only thing that helps for me.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#4 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 AM

I have allergies and food gets stuck back there fairly frequently. I think its maybe because the nasal passages/back of the throat area there is always slightly swollen, maybe making it easier for food to get stuck.

If you ALWAYS have that sensation, then I would guess there's some kind of lump back there, a polyp or nodule or swollen area or something, not food.

I agree with a PP about the neti pot. If you do have something foreign stuck back there, that should help wash it out.
#5 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you trying to describe the location of one set of tonsils there at the back of your throat, just behind the uvula?

If so, what you might be experiencing is not so much food caught back there as what's called Cryptic Tonsils--in which the stuff that the tonsils produce as they fight germs and viruses gets caught in the crypts (folds and such) rather than being expelled.

What happens to me, and pardon the description as this isn't the most delicate of topics, is I feel like there's something rubbing or caught on the side of my throat back there. I usually can see a whitish lump. That's usually just the tip of the spuge (to borrow a term from Alton Brown). When it's caught like that, only thing that works for me is to reach back there and push on the tonsil, which will feel hard when there's gunk collected like that, until the gunk pops out.

It's obnoxious, they stink, but basically it's a harmless condition.
Regular gargling can help a bit with washing them out.

And if you really want TMI, sometimes one of my tonsils looks for all the world like there used to be a piercing there. The holes in mine tend to stay.

ETA: They're called Tonsil Liths or Tonsil Stones.

and I think maybe that was enough ickiness for the day

"What will you do once you know?"
#6 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
ETA: They're called Tonsil Liths or Tonsil Stones.
Well, being a connoisseur of gross throat conditions, I do indeed get these in addition to what I'm talking about. I even wrote about them on my blog once and am now getting a TON of hits from people searching for "tonsil nuggets", because you know, people are drawn to beauty.

This is much higher in my throat, it really feels like the sinuses are involved. I think I'll have to try the neti pot; I'm just worried about fluid getting trapped, or going where it's not supposed to go. Thanks for the info!!

#7 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FWIW, when I've used my neti pot (not often enough no doubt), I've not had the water get trapped anywhere. It drains out one way or another.

"What will you do once you know?"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page