Pertussis and Vitamin C? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe my little guy probably has croup, and I'm keeping a huge eye out for Pertussis. Would it be safe to give him Vitamin C to bowel tolerance even if it is not Pertussis? Would it affect the Croup in any way?

I don't have any sodium ascorbate, but I do have Adult EmergenC. Can I use that instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM

nak-- I think my ds has croup and I've been giving him c as SA but we just have the little tablets from Hyland's so there's not enough to do the bowel tolerance thing.
I've also been giving him Sambucol..1 tsp 2x/day.
It seems to be helping tons, he's much better today, barely coughed at all last night (it started the night before last).
#3 of 5 Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 PM

When one of my grand kids are sick, if all I had at home is Vita C (any kind), I would give it. And I would give it to bowel tolerance.

The only kind I would not give it is the chewable. Because it damages the enamel on the teeth. I would crush it and put it into O.J.

Also, don't give it all at once, spread it out over the day. But for sure give quite a bit of it to do some good.

Sodium ascorbate is the best thing you can give for whooping cough. It is actually the only thing that will work.

But generally a croup does not turn to whooping cough.

One is a moist cough (croup) and the other is a dry cough with spittle coming up at the end of the coughing episode.

In either case I would also give cod liver oil.

And as the previous poster said, Sambucol is very helpful.

OR make your own cough medicine: (it works much better than what is on the shelf in the pharmacy)

Cut up an onion, put it into a small pot with 1/2 cup water. Cover. Bring to a boil, let it boil slowly for about 2-3 minutes covered. Shut off. Let it cool for about 1/2 hour. Strain the onion out. Mix the liquid with 1 teaspoon honey.

Give 1 teaspoon after every cough.
#4 of 5 Old 03-10-2007, 11:29 PM

We used SA exclusively for pertussis. Worked well.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#5 of 5 Old 03-11-2007, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
But generally a croup does not turn to whooping cough.

One is a moist cough (croup) and the other is a dry cough with spittle coming up at the end of the coughing episode.
Awesome, that was the info that I couldn't seem to find anywhere. It's definaitely a phlemy cough, so luckily it looks like Pertussis is out. Whew, that's a load off my back. Thank you!

I'll definitely keep up on the Vita C though, it can't hurt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page