Going To India! Need advise please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh's work has provided us with an opportunity to go to India for 2 months. We are all really excited but so many people (esp. my mother) think I'm crazy to go there with dd unvaxed.

I'm loading her on probiotics now. I'm going to take GSE and charcoal with us. I'm aware that the water drank there should be bottled only, even washing the food should be with bottled.

What else can I bring? What else should I know? What can I tell my Mother to get her to calm down?!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds good to me... I wouldn't worry about it.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 02:23 PM

I'd take along vitamin C.

Have you read Thomas Levy book Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases, & Toxins?

Its IMO a good book. Helped me understand how to use C in treating illness.

Enjoy your trip! What an experience
#4 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I wouldn't drink bottled water either. If it is bottled in the local plant, how can you be sure it is safe? Only drink boiled water, tea made from boiled water etc. I would take things that will help you deal with the heat and your thirst like cayenne pills, so you don't end up having to drink something that could be a risk. I would also take vitamin C. I think the best form would be Liposmal Vit C (http://www.livonlabs.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/order.html) as it comes in individual packets so will keep fresh and is very easily assimilated by the body if you need it quickly for an accute illness. I second reading Thomas Levy's book.

Enjoy your trip. Lucky you!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#5 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Hey when are you going? We are going this summer? What part of India? How very exciting for your family!!

My MIL has a large filter and what she does is filter the water from the tap and then boils it for 20 minutes, pours it into another filter container (like Brita but it's a big stainless steel vat that lasts for the whole family for one day). The water is fine. She gets it trucked in from the mountains to a well under the house. I'm sure that your dh's employer will provide good housing and they will have adequate water supplied.

The bottled water is actually fine. Just get the Bisleri brand and make sure it's sealed. Sometimes when you go out of the house or on little road trips you can't help it. Or get very hot tea. I have managed to take three trips to India with no stomach problems just by being careful and smart. Wash your hands a lot. Avoid at all costs the public restrooms even if that means running home quickly.

Is Jasmyn potty trained? If not consider flat or thin cloth diapers, or pocket diapers with inserts. The thicker diapers just will not dry well there. I promise. They will take days to dry.

Bring all meds/treatments you think you may need. Even things like yeast infection creams (I found out the hard way it's impossible to find that stuff OTC), cold/flu remedies.

Odomas cream is a really safe herbal mosquito repellant you can get there. It's very popular. You have to apply every few hours though because it's not strong otherwise. Also close your windows before 4PM or the mosquitoes will get in your house and "bug" you all night. You might want to bring some anti-malarial pills just in case.

Polio is alive and well there. TB is also very rampant there. I have seen people with both walking around on the streets where were walking. Leoprasy is another one you will see among the poorer people. You should be fine if you keep your health and nutrition up, but just be aware of the polio as that is probably the biggest threat.

Have fun!! PM me if you want.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM

I have been to India, first when DS was 1 year old (for 2 months!) and most recently at age 4. Which part are you going to? And what time of year?

* Drink the bottled water. It will be OK. Untreated tap water is not OK. A fruit smoothie in the marketplace is very tasty, BUT I got sick from this once. I would take the chance, but there is some risk. In tourist areas, there may be sugar cane juice or coconut juice to drink - more earth friendly than bottled water.
* If you visit homes, they will either boil water or use a UV filter. These are OK if done properly.
* Many young kids get an upper respiratory infection/bronchiolitis in the Indian "winter" This is from pollution + viruses. My son got it in one week. Hopefully yours will be old enough to not get this.
* Mosquitoes are a huge risk. They live INSIDE the buildings. Windows are often not screened. If you are in a 4-star hotel, you will be OK. But "service apartments, peoples homes, etc will have mosquitos. There is a malaria risk for visitors - many locals have built up immunity from repeated sickness. My son and I took malaria prophylaxis. If you like, you can ask your local DR for the meds, just in case someone gets sick. I would rather use USA malaria meds (more likely to be pure) than India malaria meds, if I got sick. The bites can also swell up to the size of a quarter due to allergic reaction. So bring hydrocortizone.
* You will need to decide about mosquito repellents. (or stay inside at 4 star hotels from dusk onwards) In India, people use lots of sprays, repellents, and little plug-in permethrin dispensers. On our recent trip, we brought hats, scarves, and sleepwear treated with permethrin (check out the ex-officio web site for the "Buzz-off" product line) In the evenings, DS would wear the hat, scarf, and socks, and not get bitten so much.
* Bring earplugs for everyone. Useful on the airplane and in any car travel.
* Cars/taxis will not have seat belts in the back. Be careful!
* Roadside stands with fried food get their oil USED from other restaurants. Not a good place to eat. :Puke
* If you are in a major city, there should be small western-style grocery stores with western-style cereal, fresh fruit, oatmeal, bread, cookies, even sanitary napkins. Your kids may miss their home cooking!

* Drink lots of water on the plane, and eat plenty of fruit. We ask the airline in advance for Asian vegetarian meals. Get the kids a Nintendo so they won't be bored in flight.
* You may want to rent a pair of cell phones for the trip, to communicate while husband is working.
* If you travel by train, pay for FIRST CLASS AC Coach. You will be glad you did! Don't eat railroad vendor food. You have been warned! :Puke
* I like the Lonely Planet travel guides.
* Find some book stores while you are there. Some high school and college text books are available in India at about 10-20% of the USA cost. I know a good one in Madras, if you are going there.
* A nice book about Indian history is India: From Midnight to the Millennium Sashi Tharoor.

If you are going to South India, drop me a note and I will tell you some great places to see!
- sleeplessMommy
#7 of 34 Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

All good advice
Been to india aswell many places,some verry remote,some big cities.
In all places do not drink tap water. Some bottled water is even dirty,they take the tops off and fill with tap water...................look for sealed bottles.

No lettuce,all food is to be verry cooked,eat 100% veggan,no meats,safer!

Bring a airmask/city is verry poluted,will get respt. problems if you keep breathing this much.

Yes TB is rampant in all public places verry airborn,be carefull (mask)

My suggestion is to bring a small homeopathic emergency kit 50 remedies that can save your life........... www.homeopathyworks.com look under kits find the 50 remedy kit with 30c potency. get a easy to follow book on beginners homeopathic use for common ailments at www.homeopathic.cim
I travel with my kit everywhere,its come in handy soooooooooooooo many times.

Bring your own mossie net if anyway possible,i always do,better safe than bit by a mossie. Not all hotels/hostels/homes have nets.
You can purchase it there aswell even custom made ones.

dont stick out,cover shoulders,no shorts for women,dress modest,get less stares. Hide your money in a moneybelt the trains are insainly crowded.......
long distant train trips only get FIRST CLASS tickets,its still verry cheap. Bring a padlock to lock your backpack to a cabinpole while you sleep (yes even in firstclass).
Bring your own toiletpaper,verry hard to find even in big cities.

No vaccines are needed! Just keep the immune healthy. Bring vit C,echin/goldenseal,homeopathic remedies,charcoal pills.......................

Have a wonderfull trip,its life altering.....................

TYLER
#8 of 34 Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thank you for all the advice! We're going to Mumbai from mid-april to mid-june. On the weekends, we plan to go to places like Kerala, Goa and I would love to go see Amma at her ashram at some point. I met her in Calgary and would love to see her again.

I put dd on a product called Moducare. It's supposed to keep the immune strong and balanced. It's made of plant sterols. Anyone heard of it?

Tyler, I'm a homeopathy student so my remedies will definately be coming with me. I went through the list on the kits and will be grabbing what I think I need. Thank you for that link.

USAmma, I will try to pm you soon. Thank you for your tips. I never even thought of yeast infection creams! I rarely if ever get them but when travelling it's a different ball game, isn't it?

Are the mossies bad during that time of year? I know monsoon season is usually between july and august. We will definately bring nets for the bed.

Thank you for your input. I'm confident with my decision not to vax but it's easy to get caught up in other peoples' fears, KWIM?
#9 of 34 Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

Dear Jas
Nice to see you are a homeopathic student,thats wonderfull. If you have any emergency difficulties and need a verry trained classical homeopath in mumbai i know a female homeopathic MD in central mumbai,let me know via PM i will give you her contact info. Or just go to www.Hpathy.com
she is one of the Hpathy team (writers/moderators-forum).
Are you bringing your laptop? As that website is a good one to keep with you on your travels,trained homeopaths are always on line to help you.

A bit on vaccines,since you are a student of homeopathy the more you study "herings Law of Cure",the more you will realize that vaccines are 180 the opposite of health and healing. In fact it causes a quantum jump in miasmatic illness to manifest.Thats something no one wants in their body.

Have a wonderfull trip!
(keep the remedies away from camphor fumes,india is famous for these smells)

TYLER
#10 of 34 Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

the best ref. book to bring on a trip is
pocket manual of homeopathic materia medica and repertory by william boericke.......................by b.Jain Publishers.

Its small/compact (not for layperson,but good for student of homeopathy)

TYLER
#11 of 34 Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

I have that book!! I will definately bring it! Also, could you pls pm me the name of that homeopath? I would really appreciate that. I will be bringing my laptop and will bookmark that website.

Thanks again!
#12 of 34 Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Banned

Dear Jas
I will pm you soon as poss.
Great to hear you are prepaired,most likely you should be able to handle 'acute' (acute= one day to a few weeks)
(chronic= anything lasting a month or longer)
ailments with your student knowledge of homeopathy.
May i ask where your taking your studies,is it a 4yr homeopathic college?

TYLER
#13 of 34 Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 AM

We went to Mumbai last August for 2 weeks with our 2 unvaxed kids. Every one has given you excellent advice.

I had thick cloth diapers and it was monsoon season, ugh! I was swinging the diapers around to get them dry like a mad woman we ended up buying disposables once.

We traveled on sleeper car 3rd class for 2 overnight trips --we have some great stories!

Two things to be prepared for:
1.it is 'dirty' everywhere, It's the sand/dust/lack of infrastructure/crowded population...I would not have noticed it except I could not keep my 1.5 y/o clean for more than 5 minutes from the time we arrived till we left and my 3y/o actually got dirty a lot, which she never does, even when I take her to the park! Don't get me wrong, people keep things washed/clean in their homes;it's the outside that is dirty.

2. People LOVE children! and especially the men... walking through the markets they would touch my kids cheeks, pat them on the head, spend time talking to them in restaraunts, help if they are crying...it's wonderful.

I second the Vit C, especially for polio/tb concerns

Have a wonderful time!

- 7; - 5; - 2; --due 4/11
#14 of 34 Old 03-13-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm from Bombay (living in the US since 2000). I traveled back last monsoon season with my 5 mo unvaxed baby and then again in January. The two things I really worry about is the water and mosquitos. We ended carrying water that my mother boils and purifies at home, (I even used boiled water for bathing DS last trip because he has the habit of ducking his head and drinking the water!). For the mosquitos Odomas is great. I also used Burt's bees insect repellant during the rains last year. I'm visiting India again this summer in June-July, mostly Delhi and North India. I'm a little worried about intense heat....

I always get grossed out when random strangers in India touch my baby's cheeks. I know for a fact that most men NEVER wash their hands after they pee I still haven't figured out how to politely ask them not to touch my baby because they're being so loving.

: mom to my little monkey 01/2006 my HBAC baby girl born 09/2009 
#15 of 34 Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Dear Omsmom
Agreed the males are dominant in the big cities,you dont see that many females . Myself and a team of women traveling had problems with males trying to grab our genitals and breasts as we were walking down the streets,it was happening alot throughout our stay there. Dressed fully covered up in sarong,long sleeved shirt nothing revealing (i even had my head and most of my face covered up) it still happened.

The suppression of male/female interactions regards sexual contact has caused the male population to vent out in public towards anyone spotted as a 'tourist'. Its verry disturbing! Carry your backpack in the front instead of on your back. Carefull of the super crowded trains!

TYLER
#16 of 34 Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM

my dh is from south india (ernakalum, kerala), and we went when dd1 was 2.5.

i got scaremongered into vaxing her for hepA, big mistake, her eczema flared and has never gone away since.

i second much of the previous advice, and have a few things to add.

the streets are crowded and have little to no sidewalk, and often open drains/sewer. its dangerous for a little one to walk, impossible for a stroller, so bring your most comfortable sling.

your feet may swell from the heat, so make sure your sandals can be loosened.

i was advised to pack light and buy clothes there, but unless you're petite, it's difficult. i'm 5'8" and was 160# (was a size 14 then, but the way the US has resized things, these days i'm often a size 10 even though i'm 10# heavier and can't get into some of my old size 14s, sorry getting very OT...). i wasn't able to buy standard sizes, i had to go to the "velleya" (?sp, malayalum language) rack, and there were slim pickings there. and getting clothes made takes a while (fittings, refittings...). my US "uniform" of cotton t-shirts wilted damply (and this was in feb, at a mere 95degrees); i was more comfortable in seersucker type loose blouses and microfiber capri pants or skirts (they dry faster, too), and loose thin cotton knit nightshirts to help against skeeters. microfiber bras/underwear were more comfortable. shorts will get you stared at.

i often "wash" with rubbing alcohol when traveling: cuts the grime without soap, kills the underarm bacteria. i could not find it there, and was glad i brought my small bottle.

i also brought homeopathic remedies, and mothering just happened to have an issue with an article about someone going to india, and a small kit recommendation. i did get diarrhea one night, took a dose of podophyllum peltatum and it stopped. when i go again, i'll take my book Homeopathic Medicine at Home, by Maisemund B. Panos MD and Jane Heimlich, it's thorough, but very user friendly.

supplements: brought shelf stable probiotics (primal defense), vitC, vitB (discourages skeeters), goldenseal, GSE (but if you drink it, it kills your good flora, too), and raw pumpkin seeds (they're supposed to be antiparasitic, just a few (~20) each day). can't recall others, but there were a few more.

we didn't take antimalarial pills (lots of side effects, including anxiety, and i waas ttc, and you can't for 4mos after returning if you take the standard drug, ). but i brought the antibiotic that dd1 would be given if she were to get malaria, zithromax, Rx'd prophylactically by her ped (we didn't need it, brought it back unused). brought mosquito netting, repellent. if i were to take an antimalarial, i would take malarone, because it has a much shorter half life, ie your body can clear it more quickly, which seems healthier to me. the other drug, mefloquine,(lariam) is taken only once/week, but it stays in the body a long time... ick. docs will recommend lariam because they worry you'll miss a dose and get sick, and they don't care about side effects.

got an excellent small (size of an orange, in a little bag) water purifier from REI, and a nalgene bottle, the type you take camping, that it fit on. i'd filter from the sink (stoppered) until the bottle was full, transfer the water to an empty plastic bottle that i'd gotten bottled water in, then did it again until i filled ~4 big bottles each morning. lessee if i can find it...

First Need Deluxe Water Purifier
"The only non-chemical water purifier certified to EPA Guide Standard for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses."

i spent the extra for virus filtering, we didn't get sick.

gtg, hth, will post more if i think of anything else. have fun!

my signature is usually illegible
#17 of 34 Old 03-16-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Phew! I almost lost this thread. I am truly grateful for all of this info and have taken notes. Many thanks!

Tyler, as far as the homeopathy school goes, I was blessed to find a one-on-one teacher but that just ended last week (long story) and I have just heard about a homeopathy teacher from Vancouver who is coming to my city to teach first year. He's not sure if he's going to do the other 3 years and he won't know until he sees if there's any interest here. So, it's a gamble. I don't know if I want to invest in one year and then get cut off, KWIM?

My friend who is an N.D. is coming this weekend and she's bringing homeopathic polio, tetanus and TB so it's starting to come together.

Formerluddite, thank you for the tip on the malaria meds. I was going to ask for larium but I'm going to ask for malarone instead. Also, thanks for the filter link.
#18 of 34 Old 03-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum View Post

Formerluddite, thank you for the tip on the malaria meds. I was going to ask for larium but I'm going to ask for malarone instead. Also, thanks for the filter link.

Good choice on skipping the lariam. Here's a link:

Adverse effects of the antimalaria drug, mefloquine

Quote:
The mefloquine syndrome presents in a variety of ways including headache, gastrointestinal disturbances, nervousness, fatigue, disorders of sleep, mood, memory and concentration, and occasionally frank psychosis.
(emphasis added...holy crap!)

The psychotropic side effects of lariam are quite frightening, actually, including hallucinations and suicidal tendencies.

Here's info on herbal treatment for malaria:

http://www.mercola.com/2004/dec/1/malaria_treatment.htm

I don't know how India is compared to pakistan, but in Pakistan, there was bottled Nestle water everywhere. In some of the more rural areas they have bottled water for locals which is basically poorly filtered water, not filtered enough for us to tolerate.

Also don't forget something to replenish your electrolytes and keep you hydrated, especially if you are going in summer. My dh has ended up on an IV for dehydration, it just creeps up on you so quickly in the summer over there.

Have fun! We are going to Pakistan this summer so I'm also interested in these tips.
#19 of 34 Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

malaria nosode,nat m,nat sulp....................remedies for malaria symptoms,more located in the rept.

TYLER
#20 of 34 Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Moved to health and healing

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#21 of 34 Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetesss View Post
Also don't forget something to replenish your electrolytes and keep you hydrated, especially if you are going in summer. My dh has ended up on an IV for dehydration, it just creeps up on you so quickly in the summer over there.
ah, yes, i knew there was something(s) else i took. i used Emergen-C, because it was handy in the little envelopes: you can slip them one at a time in your purse, and kids like the taste (sugar, different flavors, too). these days i'm using liquid trace minerals (concentrace) on an everyday basis, so i'd probably bring a small bottle of that (but you'd have to check it, courtesy of ever increasing terrorist mania: they might explode, right?).

and for picky toddlers/hunger-at-odd-hours/homesick-for-western-food times i took envelopes of instant oatmeal and grits, and "juice box" size rice milk (we were limiting dairy then, and it's shelf stable). with an immersion heater (and a ceramic mug to boil water), i could make oatmeal in a small plastic bowl so dd1 could eat when she was wide awake at 5 am and our relatives were still fast asleep.

poetesss, i remember reading the PDR on lariam, and thinking "no way am i putting that in my kid's body!" and from your link:
Quote:
The first randomised controlled trial of mefloquine prophylaxis in heterogeneous, non-immune Western travellers was published in 2001 and found that one-third of all mefloquine users reported neuropsychiatric adverse effects.
one-third, yikes! crappy traveler that i am, i was anxious enough already (homeopathic gelsemium and ignatia helped), and anxiety/depression was the #1 side effect as i recall.

we dithered about whether to go for the malarone, since it might be better, but it can't be good. we decided against any prophyaxis drugs, partly because of our short trip (<month), and low incidence of malaria in kerala. but dh had it twice as a kid (in africa), and says it's pretty awful. and every time he gets a high fever (like with the flu), he feels like it's a bout of malaria. nice to see the herbal/homeopathic remedies for future reference. (but it'll be a few years: i'm never taking a toddler around the world again!!!!!)

ETA: we brought a few straws for drinking coconut water at street stalls. they pick theirs up at the end of the day and reuse them.

and 6 degrees of separation stuff: would you believe my MIL grew up in peroor, near kottayam, about 50 miles from amma's birthplace, and i think i once heard her say she went to school with amma's mother's somebody (cousin/sister/etc. etc.). everybody there is everybody else's "brother's wife's aunt's cousin's husband's nephew's schoolmate's..." and my MIL has them all memorized better than i know the cast of "all my children" from 1991.

#22 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 AM

Wow these are all great tips!! I didn't realize so many had spent time in India.

Jasmyn's Mom, are you really going to meet Amma? That is soooo cool! I tried to see her last time we were there, she was visiting the city, but I was not able to find the transportation to get there (my IL's are very protective and would not let me go out alone).

Last time I wore the native clothes (salwar kameeze mostly) but our trips were in the winter. I have been advised by my MIL to just bring my normal shorts/shirts from the US for every day wear and bring a couple out trad. outfits for the temple visits. I was surprised to hear this advice as she prefered me to wear trad last time. It must be *very* hot in the summer. Ick.

I agree about watching out for "eve teasers" who will whistle or harrass you in public places. I have never been touched but I've had vulgar comments made. Mostly young college men.

Practice using the Indian style toilet method. It will save you a lot of trouble instead of depending on TP when you are away from home. I just found this: http://www.pbase.com/jtodhunter/indian_toilet But I have to add for instructions, for women it's easier to pour the water down your backside, if you get the squat just right it pours over your female parts and gets you very clean. Oh here's another one: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1314998

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#23 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 02:12 AM

for those of us too set in our ways... a tiny roll of toilet paper in a plastic shell. i got something like this one at a travel store, and would refill it from regular rolls (i brought a few with me) when it ran low (a nightly ritual, along with filtering water and doing laundry in a bucket in the bathroom), and carried it in my purse.

a stretchy braided clothesline was handy, too.

i brought nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios. no cashews: they grow there!), oat bars and clif bars and dried apricots as snacks (snacks very necessary with kids). the nuts and apricots also went over well as gifts, as well as salami (my IL's are catholic and big meat eaters, and whole salami "logs" don't need refrigeration for the trip) and maple syrup (trader joe's, grade B quart). my IL's used up a quart jug of syrup in about 2 weeks!

UAmma: which part of india is your dh from?

#24 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Wet wipes work well, too. They sell them there in purse-sized containers.

#25 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 02:56 AM

We are also concidering travel to India, maybe in the fall when DD will be almost 2. My husband has been before, for a long stretch some years ago, and I've always wanted to go. Its interesting to find a whole thread of people who've travelled there with unvax'd kids. I just kind of assumed we'd have to back down on our no vax possition if we decided to go, and we'd get the hep a, maybe hep b and polio vacs. You all feel comfortable not doing this? I'm intruged...why have you made this decision? Maybe we dont have to vax for India after alll...

Sarahfina
#26 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfina View Post
We are also concidering travel to India, maybe in the fall when DD will be almost 2. My husband has been before, for a long stretch some years ago, and I've always wanted to go. Its interesting to find a whole thread of people who've travelled there with unvax'd kids. I just kind of assumed we'd have to back down on our no vax possition if we decided to go, and we'd get the hep a, maybe hep b and polio vacs. You all feel comfortable not doing this? I'm intruged...why have you made this decision? Maybe we dont have to vax for India after alll...

Sarahfina
I'm not the best person to ask-- we have vaxed both kids for various reasons. But there are no vaxes for a lot of things you will find there.

Having done the toddler in India thing-- I would just gently encourage you to consider going when your dd is at least 18 mos older. It will make things so much easier. I pretty much told my MIL that she could not even pay me to do that again after I took dd1 there as a toddler.

#27 of 34 Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
Having done the toddler in India thing-- I would just gently encourage you to consider going when your dd is at least 18 mos older. It will make things so much easier. I pretty much told my MIL that she could not even pay me to do that again after I took dd1 there as a toddler.
ditto!

as for vaxing, the more i learn about vaxes, the more i know it would make them more succeptible to illness by impairing their immune systems (not to mention the allergies/eczema it triggered in dd1).

#28 of 34 Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm with you on that one, formerluddite. I want dd's immune system to be strong when we go, not compromised. I was looking for options and I found many here. Thank you.

USAmma, I don't care what I have to do to see Amma. I will not leave there without seeing her. I feel so good in her presence and she has blessed me twice. She also blessed dd when she was in my belly : Also, thank you for the ummm...toilet tips.

I plan to go with very little clothing and just buy there. I want to fit in, not stick out. I'm 100lbs so I think I'll be able to find lots that'll fit me.

I have a feeling I will not come back the same woman. I'm excited to see the temples and feel the warm weather. Then there's the beads! I'm going to lose my mind with the beads !! I'm looking forward to learning all that I can with regards to homeopathy. Some of the best homeopaths in the world are from India.
#29 of 34 Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Dear Jas
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com
has a link to TF (transfer Factor) A combination of immune building herbs,vitamins. I always take before my journeys to Asia. Good for the entire family to take pre trip/during trip.Also a AYURVEDIC herb called Astragalus is great to take daily pretrip/during trip.
Yes agreed "the best homeopaths in the World are in India or from India(including the best Teachers of homeopathics)..................."
Two of the best teachers i recommend Rajan Sankaran and S.K.Banerjea
Banerjea has a few clinics in Calcutta near Mother Teresa's hospital ...............
"agreed its best not to Stick out by wearing shorts and tanktops"......this is considered to be underdressed,even having your shoulders exposed is not a good idea. No matter how hot /sticky/humid it might be to cover yourself as a female is safer. I saw tourist females being followed by hords of males just because these two women had tanktops on,showing their shoulders.........

TYLER
#30 of 34 Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

Part two
Dear Jas
If you want to stay somewhere verry cheap/clean with 100% veggan cooked meals try the "ISHCON temples in India"
(spelling might be wrong ISCON.......?)
Go on line for the locations.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page