Can you bleed from a UTI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. Between working 2 jobs, I finally found time to go to the clinic on Friday to get a prescription to take care of the UTI that's been plaguing me for about 2 months. I got a lecture from the doctor for leaving it so long, and he gave me a full week's worth of pills instead of the typical 3 days, because of how long I had left it untreated.

I had started noticing blood in my urine a few days prior to going in (it was my reason for finally "making" time to go to the clinic), and was optimistic that the medication would take care of it. But the bleeding has gotten worse, to the point where I've actually passed several small clots. I'm not menstruating. I'm not due for that for another 2 weeks, but put a tampon in anyway to eliminate that possibility. But after carefully watching, I can easily see that it comes with the urine. Blah, TMI, I'm sure.

Is it possible that this is my body passing the infection? Or is it possible that this is an indication that the infection is worse than I thought. Should I go back to the clinic? Should I wait it out a week (I've only been on the medication since Friday evening.)

Any help at all would be appreciated. I'm slighly freaked out about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 PM

I'm no expert, but I have had my share of UTI's and there has been an incident when there was small amount of blood in my urine. I don't know the exact reason why, but it's a very good thing you got it treated. I hope you're feeling better. Hope it helps to know that you are not they only with the same problem.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM

I would go back if it doesn't go away in another day. Just my opinion though, no expertise to offer.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, UTIs can cause bleeding. I'm not sure how much is "normal" or how long it's supposed to take for the bleeding to go down once medication is started. I'd give your HCP a call during normal business hours or go back in.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bleeding can happen with a UTI. I second the suggestion that you at least call to ask about it.

You did tell them about it when you were there, didn't you?

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

I did mention it when I was in, but it just worries me that the bleeding is getting worse, instead of better, since going on the medication. The clotting in particular is worrysome (although the blood is dark - almost black - which means it's old blood, right? Maybe my system is just cleansing itself?)

The nurse mentioned that I could have lost a kidney by leaving it so long before seeking treatment. But the doctor didn't say anything about my kidneys when he came in to write me a prescription. He poked my belly, asked if it hurt (uh, yes!), and went on his way.

I tried looking in the phone book last night to see if there is a public health line of some sort in my area. I'm in Ontario, so I don't have a family doctor (major shortage right now) or I'd have somebody to call. I tried calling the clinic, but they said that their doctors don't take phonecalls.

I'll probably give it a few more days and see if it improves.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If it's getting worse, I'd go in.

I don't know how the color of the blood works when mixed with urine. There could be reactions going on that change that whole color dynamic.

When it's anal, dark = old, red = fresh, but I really don't know if the same works for UTI bleeding. Clots could argue for older too, but again, urine could be affecting that.

"What will you do once you know?"

User Tag List