Boosting DS's immune system? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is 26 months old and has been in daycare since he was 8 months. Since he self-weaned at 22 months, he's been sick almost constantly. The past several weeks and especially the past week, he's been super-cranky, low appetite, and a fever off and on. He's SO whiny and clingy when he's sick and it's driving me nuts that it's a constant thing. Taking him out of daycare is not an option.

What can I do to boost his immune system? He hasn't been on a vitamin, other than occasional vitamin C, because he's allergic to strawberries, which are present in most kids' vitamins. I've been thinking about getting the infant drops, but I don't know if they'd be enough for him. Would this help him not get sick so much? Is there anything else I can do?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CLO (cod liver oil) is great for boosting the immune system. DD (2) takes it regularly, though she is down right now with her first semi-serious cold (the first one that's kept her off of her feet anyway!)

There are many different kinds for kids... we use Nordic Naturals, but there are other kinds too. And I'm not sure about the strawberry... dd is currently taking strawberry flavor, but I know that they make many other flavors as well, and I'm sure there are some that don't have any strawberry. It is oily but I hide it in her yogurt or something and she doesn't usually notice. Sometimes she'll take it right off of the spoon though.

I take an omega 3 supplement myself and I have noticed an improvement in my immune system.

HTH!
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

We're vegetarian, but I do take fish oil to help control my PCOS. I guess if it's ok for me to take it, it's ok for him. I'll give CLO a shot.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say that if you're ok with taking it, then give it a shot for him too.

If you are veg I'd read the ingredients on the different brands though just to make sure there isn't any hidden fillers or whatever.
#5 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 06:43 PM

i'd also load him up with probiotics of some sort - best would be through homemade yogurt or kefir (dairy-based or nondairy, doesn't matter).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#6 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
If he were mine, I would try and get the following into him. High vitamin cod liver old and high vitamin butter oil. Way more vitamin C than it sounds like he is getting, in the form of sodium ascorbate, I would give at least 1 g a day, more if he is sick. And finally homemade raw milk 24 hour yogurt or homemade raw milk kefir.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page