Tick Bite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas.
We live in an area with lots of ticks, so tick bites are pretty common for us.
Yesterday we found a tick on the back of my ds's head. Today he has three large lumps on the back of his head. i know they are swollen lymph nodes from the bite.

He was bitten in the fall in almost the same spot, and had one lymph node swell really big. We took him to the Dr. then and the Doctor seemed to think it was a normal reaction to a tick bite on the head. The lymph node stayed swollen almost 3 months.

So i hesitate to take him back to the Doctor, because i know what it is (swollen lymph) and what it's from (tick bite).

However it's still kinda freaking me out. Has anyone else ever dealt with tick bites on the head? Does this sound like a normal reaction? Should i be worried at all?

When i search online for tick bites, it always says to call the Dr. immediately if you experience swollen lymph nodes...but my Doctor didn't do anything when my ds had the swollen lymph before. Just said it was a normal reaction.

Should i be concerned? i'm worried about my little bean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 AM

That happened to my sweet girl last summer. (She would walk up to people and announce, "I got bitten by a TICK!" And they always had looks of absolute horror on their faces.) He lymph node got really scarily big. (Her eye lid also got bitten by a flea the same day and it sweeled shut. I thought it was a reaction to the bite.) It was a scary time for us but she's fine now.
I'm sorry--it is so hard to be worried about your dc.

:Mama to 2 :
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 AM

We've dealt with tick bites here, too. Every one of us has had at least one tick at one time or another. My 2 year old had two different tick bites last fall, both on his head. He didn't have the swollen lymph nodes though. But, one of the bites was very irritated looking. He never developed a rash, fever or anything else.

I've done a lot of reading on ticks and even wrote an article recently which will hopefully be published on-line soon (I'm a freelance writer). The key is to make sure you got the tick out before 36 hours has passed. I know it isn't always easy to know how long the tick has been in, but do you think it was less than 36 hours? Also, do you know if it was a small, deer tick or was it a larger dog tick? The larger ones do not transmit Lyme disease. However, they still can transmit other diseases, like Rocky mountain spotted fever. But, if you got it out quickly and are sure you removed the whole tick, then I would just watch your ds for signs of rash and/or illness. If none of these appear, then I wouldn't worry.

We used to call the doc with every tick bite too, and even went so far as to have my oldest tested for lyme once. But, our doc was being over cautious and it really wasn't necessary. In hindsight, I know the tick was out just a few hours after it latched on and it was a dog tick. But, we didn't know anything about ticks then and went into panic mode.

But, my philosophy is that if something is really weighing heavily on your mind and you think you will feel better by checking in with the doc, then by all means do it. Sometimes symtpoms of Lyme can appear much later, so at the very least, you should write down the date of the tick bite somewhere. Oh, and if you did not get the whole tick out, then you do need to take him to the doc to get the rest of it removed. It is important to make sure it is all out of there.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
We've dealt with tick bites here, too. Every one of us has had at least one tick at one time or another. My 2 year old had two different tick bites last fall, both on his head. He didn't have the swollen lymph nodes though. But, one of the bites was very irritated looking. He never developed a rash, fever or anything else.

I've done a lot of reading on ticks and even wrote an article recently which will hopefully be published on-line soon (I'm a freelance writer). The key is to make sure you got the tick out before 36 hours has passed. I know it isn't always easy to know how long the tick has been in, but do you think it was less than 36 hours? Also, do you know if it was a small, deer tick or was it a larger dog tick? The larger ones do not transmit Lyme disease. However, they still can transmit other diseases, like Rocky mountain spotted fever. But, if you got it out quickly and are sure you removed the whole tick, then I would just watch your ds for signs of rash and/or illness. If none of these appear, then I wouldn't worry.

We used to call the doc with every tick bite too, and even went so far as to have my oldest tested for lyme once. But, our doc was being over cautious and it really wasn't necessary. In hindsight, I know the tick was out just a few hours after it latched on and it was a dog tick. But, we didn't know anything about ticks then and went into panic mode.

But, my philosophy is that if something is really weighing heavily on your mind and you think you will feel better by checking in with the doc, then by all means do it. Sometimes symtpoms of Lyme can appear much later, so at the very least, you should write down the date of the tick bite somewhere. Oh, and if you did not get the whole tick out, then you do need to take him to the doc to get the rest of it removed. It is important to make sure it is all out of there.
If you're writing an article on Lyme, please do more research. It can be transmitted in less than a couple of hours. Dog ticks CAN transmit Lyme, not just deer ticks, as well as fleas, mosquitoes, lice & biting flies.

The bull's eye rash appears in less than 30% of Lyme cases & often there are no signs until it appears much later & is already considered chronic.

Lyme is a CLINICAL diagnosis because tests are notoriously falsely negative. The most reliable lab is IGeneX in California & even those tests aren't full proof.

www.ILADS.org

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
It can be transmitted in less than a couple of hours. Dog ticks CAN transmit Lyme, not just deer ticks, as well as fleas, mosquitoes, lice & biting flies.

www.ILADS.org
Where, exactly, did you find this information? I skimmed through the link you posted and did not see any reference to anything other than deer ticks transmitting lyme, nor have I ever seen anything in all my years of reading about lyme and ticks in various sources. And the information from my own doctor, who actually has a collection of ticks (dead, thankfully) has never suggested that lyme could come from other sources.

But, I agree with everything else you wrote. That is why it is really not helpful to rush to a doctor right away if there are no symptoms present, unless the op really feels she wants/needs to. Being on the lookout for symptoms is the best thing to do, if the tick itself wasn't saved for testing. BUT, if a rash is present, that is enough to diagnose lyme by itself. Even though it is not always present, it is something that a parent should be on the lookout for. A parent should take their child to the doctor immediately if it does show up.

User Tag List