Bright yellow diarrhea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 month old was up vomiting all Sunday night until early Monday morning...caught the bug from my cousins 3 kids. Anyway, I've been keeping her hydrated as well as possible, but the past 24 hours she's had runny poo (and she's actually gone more in that time than she usually does a in few days), although I would only consider the last 2 or 3 actually diarrhea...and those ones were also BRIGHT yellow. I know "yellow" is usually considered an okay color in BF'd babies, but I've never seen this bright of yellow poo...and haven't seen yellow, period, for a long time. Is this okay??

But on a cool note...she TOLD me she had to go potty this last time and we made it to the toilet. That's occasional EC'ing at work, for ya...

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 PM

Well, sounds like she is doing alright with it and you are doing a great job. Keep her hydrated with warm water with a bit of sea salt and some honey. That is much better than any drink you can buy on the market.

Also, I would not give her anything to eat except bm is she's still nursing until she stops vomiting. And then I would only try some dry toast to see if she can keep it down.

I just re-read your post and sounds like she is no longer vomiting. So the poo is about the end of the virus.

BTW, 13 mo. is too young to potty train IMO. She does not yet have the ability to control those muscles. She may want to do it to please you but it is pretty much impossible for her and may at times be frustrating.
#3 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
BTW, 13 mo. is too young to potty train IMO. She does not yet have the ability to control those muscles. She may want to do it to please you but it is pretty much impossible for her and may at times be frustrating.
Might want to check out the EC area here (it's down in the Diapering forums). Guess what people do in countries where they don't have access to sposies or amazing stashes of cloth diapers ?
#4 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we're not potty training...and I'm definately not the only one EC'ing.

Right, she's not vomiting anymore, just the dairrhea. I have been giving her a homemade electrolyte drink (recipe out of Aviva Jill Romm's "Naturally Healthy Babies and Children"), which she seems to be doing well with.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#5 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife View Post
Guess what people do in countries where they don't have access to sposies or amazing stashes of cloth diapers ?
They train themselves to know approximately when the child will have a bowel movement.

I know, I was born in post war Europe where there were no diapers. We used lots of rags though (to wipe the wooden floor).

Nothing wrong with training yourself. But you can't expect something of a child that the child is incapable of delivering. JMO -
#6 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

But that's why it's EC'ing and not potty training. :

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#7 of 15 Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 PM

DS had bright yellow poops a number of times, each time corresponding to a cold. He never did get a vomity cold, but sick just the same. I think that almost always the first thing that happened...funny the things you put out of your mind,....

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#8 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
But that's why it's EC'ing and not potty training. :
OK, I just checked it out in 'diapering'. Guess I'd have to read a lot more to be convinced. But let's not hijack the thread any longer. I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt. :

Oh, I just saw that it was YOUR thread. Alright....
#9 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
DS had bright yellow poops a number of times, each time corresponding to a cold. He never did get a vomity cold, but sick just the same. I think that almost always the first thing that happened...funny the things you put out of your mind,....
Good to hear! Thanks!! And actually, now that I think about it, I think we've experienced similar situations with colds in the past, too...hmm...

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#10 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, now I have another question...she's gone like 5 times in the past 12 hours. ??? She normally goes maybe once every couple days. And they're sorta thickening up, but still pretty runny, and still BRIGHT yellow. Oh, and most of the time they're a LOT. Is this still okay?

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#11 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 09:54 PM

As long as she is taking liquids it is alright for a few days.

Liquids every hour. Even just a few sips. And I would not give any solids until it is cleared out of her. Just lots of bm.
#12 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 PM

I was coming to post this almost exact same subject. My almost 3 year old DS has the SAME thing right now. BRIGHT yellow, runny poop that started with vomitting. My other 2 children are totally fine. That's what's confusing me the most.

Warm water, sea salt, honey. I have all of those and will include with the water he's drinking. We're on day 3 of this, but today has BY FAR been the WORST of the diahrrea.

Sorry to hijack, but my DH keeps pushing food at him and I'm about ready to push him out the window. : I keep telling him that DS will know when he's ready to eat and that his body needs to focus it's energies on healing, not on digesting. How else can I explain this to him? I explained it to him SEVERAL times and now I'm just down to "Shut up!" Maybe this is more of a vent than anything else. :
#13 of 15 Old 04-05-2007, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerennialMom View Post
I was coming to post this almost exact same subject. My almost 3 year old DS has the SAME thing right now. BRIGHT yellow, runny poop that started with vomitting. My other 2 children are totally fine. That's what's confusing me the most.

Warm water, sea salt, honey. I have all of those and will include with the water he's drinking. We're on day 3 of this, but today has BY FAR been the WORST of the diahrrea.

Sorry to hijack, but my DH keeps pushing food at him and I'm about ready to push him out the window. : I keep telling him that DS will know when he's ready to eat and that his body needs to focus it's energies on healing, not on digesting. How else can I explain this to him? I explained it to him SEVERAL times and now I'm just down to "Shut up!" Maybe this is more of a vent than anything else. :
Oh man, sorry to hear about your little guy! Hope he feels better soon!!

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#14 of 15 Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM

My 16 month old has this, too. Vomiting yesterday with yellow diarrhea and today, no vomiting but lots and lots of horrible, stinky liquid yellow dipes. The smell in our little house is outrageous, and it's too cold to open the windows and air out. I actually headed over here to see what I could find out about it and it looks like it's going around right now. We are just nursing, nursing, nursing, and offering small bites of banana.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#15 of 15 Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 PM

StrawberryFields, I'm sorry about your little one.

I have to wonder why this is going around so prevalently..... grr..... Makes me wonder if it's some 'form' of rotavirus.

This morning his runny poop was a little thicker. He has such bad abdominal pain every time he eats something. This morning he woke up in good spirits wanting toast, so I gave him some and within minutes he was laying on the couch in pain again. He's fortunately sleeping now.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page