healing the gut -- april - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greencat--Can you tell me how you make the nut milk yogurt? I have a dehydrator BTW that I make dairy yogurt for my family with. Thanks, Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Hi again everyone,

I have another question, this time on my 2-yo DS. He recently underwent blood and stool testing for bacteria, parasites, and celiac disease. He has been having mucus filled stools for 4-5 weeks now. He is dairy intolerant but no other obvious allergies or intolerances. All the tests have come back normal to this point - just waiting on a couple of more stool cultures. I have started him on probiotics.

The celiac testing was both for the stools and because he has tested anemic in the past, and he is quite small - when he was younger he was in the 75th percentile for height/weight and he has gradually dropped down to about the 10th. He does not look malnourished, just petite and no belly fat at all, but does look healthy otherwise to me, just maybe a little pale, which could be from our lack of outside time due to the weather. He also has pretty significant asthma, for which he takes daily steroid nebulizer treatments.

The stools are not normalizing. So far no other suggestions from our ped - when I asked the nurse what they thought since everything looks good so far she just said she didn't know.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!!

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
Old 04-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Jen: I think nut milk yogurt is also a great alternative to go-yo. This is an instruction I wrote for my husband, just incase I am not able to cook for my son. So, if anything is not clear, ask me questions, please.

In the dehydrator, you may want to keep the cooking thermometer in the milk while culturing. Use mine as a guide: You will find your way to make it in the best way that works for you. SCD web site has their instruction, but it never worked for me. You may want to check it out, to get the better understanding.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nut Milk Yogurt

It is best to use utensils that were in the dishwasher, or boil for 10min.

1.5L Pyrex cooking pot and a lid
A large, cotton dish cloth
Stainless cooking spoon
Cooking thermometer
1/8t. measuring spoon
Timer
Blender
Ice

2/3 C Sliced, Blanched Almond
2/3 C Cashew nuts
4C filtered water
Optional few Pine nuts
1/8sp Pro-Gurt

Have a dish cloth over a Pyrex cooking pot
Put nuts and water in a blender for 8min. to make nut milk.
Pour the nut milk in the pot, over the dish cloth.
Gently squeeze all the milk as you twist the top--Throw the nuts out

Put the cooking thermometer in the pot, and heat the milk with medium-high heat.
Slowly boil the nut milk to the boiling point as you stair often with the spoon.

Take the pot out of the heat as soon as it reaches the boiling point. Do not let it burn. Keep the cooking thermometer and the spoon in the pot (until you are ready to put the pot in the oven.)

Let it cool to reach 64-77F. Keep the lid on while you cool it. You may do this with ice water in the sink to shorten the time of cooling. Stir before you read the temperature.

Set the oven temperature at 105F (Slightly lower than the goat milk.)

When cooked milk is in the appropriate temperature, take the Pro-Gurt out of the refrigerator, and sprinkle 1/8spoon of it. Then, gently stir. Do not mix too much where live culture does not like to be disturbed: The yogurt will not sit well.

Cover the pot with Saran Wrap. Write the time you put the cooked milk in the oven on the Saran Wrap. Incubate without disturbing the milk for 8hours.

After the incubation, cool it in the refrigerator over night (without disturbing.)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 AM

JaneS, I want to thank you for replying to my questions about what you did to heal (in the March thread, I am too lazy to dig for that now and try to quote it). We were out of town for quite a while and it has taken me a few days to catch up with this thread again.
We are very, very sure that DD's eczema is influenced by polution to some extent. Every time we leave the city (which is very poluted) she does better. Still has eczema and obviously reacts to foods, but not nearly as bad. Thankfully we are moving to the countryside within a month or so and I think the clean air will give her immune system a bit of a break and maybe a chance to heal more. We are also doing different things diet wise. While we were out of town I gave up on the TED. And dd looked better than when I was on it. I just did more veggies and added some yak (and I am cooking with animal fat now, whatever I have from bone broth. It is actually very yummy). Now I am going to do a rotation diet and if that doesn't work, then the SCD. With moving and not having the book yet it will be easier to do a rotation diet. We are also in the process of changing our diets to more NT foods, which, with the rotation diet will be enough for now. Our enzymes also arrived and probiotics will hopefully be here soon.
I have to say that I feel SO much better with more food than on the TED. More energy, emotionally more stable and sleeping better. And dd has been sleeping better as well. It is also better to think about working towards healing rather than just avoidance. For the first time in months I feel hopeful.
Thank you ladies for all your info. I don't post much, but I learn a lot from just reading.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM

I'm so disappointed. I've been on TED x1 week now and have been anxiously awaiting dd to have a poopy diaper to see if there has been any change. She had a HUGE diaper this morning = huge reaction diaper that was just as bad if not worse than what she usually has :
Old 04-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post

we eat quinoa, too, but less often, because the kids haven't taken to it. i make tabouli with it. any recipe suggestions?
I will have to try your trick with the millet.

Honestly, I used it as I would use rice. I grew up on rice, so anything I make for him, I have just learned to substitute the quinoa instead of rice, and he eats it. He seems to like the quinoa, dill, lima bean, and ground meat mixture that I make. But again, my palate is not what I find in most American diets.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Unless I am misunderstanding, most of you have had yucky poop/eczema problems, right?

Has anyone had issues where the poop looked bad, but there has never been eczema, and the child was not fussy/cranky all the time to indicate that there was an issue?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the SCD diet: how can a banana be on the diet? It is such a high sugar food. DS does not tollerate is bananas, no matter how ripe they, which makes sense to me.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the SCD diet: how can a banana be on the diet? It is such a high sugar food. DS does not tollerate is bananas, no matter how ripe they, which makes sense to me.
could it be a real allergy? those who are allergic to latex also have cross-reactions to other things. see http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...y?OpenDocument

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 04-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
I'm so disappointed. I've been on TED x1 week now and have been anxiously awaiting dd to have a poopy diaper to see if there has been any change. She had a HUGE diaper this morning = huge reaction diaper that was just as bad if not worse than what she usually has :

I'm so sorry for you. Hugggs. If you read through some of the older posts, you will see some moms had the same experience, with TED not helping out, but making some reactions even more visible. I did TED with my ds, and it did nothing for us short of adding more stress to our lives. I think I posted this before, but I just gave it time and it cleared up on its own, since it was the gentian violet IMHO that started the whole mess.

I am doing a rotation diet right now for my DH(Thanks 2 JaneS , cut out all grains(and I mean ALL), starches, etc -- and it is helping. It was so so so so hard to get him to not eat carbs with every meal for a week, but once he was how much better the eczemas was, he is actually pushing for it more
Rotation diets are not easy by any means, and we do not follow it hard and fast, but it is doable with a bit of planning.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
could it be a real allergy? those who are allergic to latex also have cross-reactions to other things. see http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...y?OpenDocument
Of all the solids we have introduced(and stupidly it was one of the first ones we did), it is the only food he does not tolerate, even in a small amount. He becomes so constipated that he is miserable for several days. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't find other cross-reactions.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM

sorry to jump in like this without reading all posts first.

i am trying to heal my gut.
i have started to:
eat some commercial probiotics
doing my first sprouts these days
make all food from scratch
eat raw vegetables and fruit
get my first delievery of ecological frutis and vegs in a couple of days

my plan is to go on a rawfood diet for as long time as it takes to heal my gut.
i suspect my symptoms to worsen before i get better.
my energylevel is very low and i feel like crap, and i dont feel like i prepared enough to do a detox properly. so i propone.

in the meanwhile i try to figure out exactly was is wrong with me. today one of my symptoms are really bad, worse then in months. and im desperate to understand what is going on.

my health-history is long as a novel, so i dont see how i could share it in few and informative words.

i've got a picture of this specific symptom tho, and my questions is simply:
is it ok if i post url to an image, so you can have a look and tell me if you have ever seen it before or if you get any thoughts out of it at all?

(i do meet with doctors frequently so they are aware of this. they just dont know what it is, and focus on other problems. ct and ultrasound has been done on good days when the symptom is not present. so doctors look at me strangely, and i have to do further research myself)

(im sorry my posts always get so long even when im just trying to ask a simple question ... : )
Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Unless I am misunderstanding, most of you have had yucky poop/eczema problems, right?

Has anyone had issues where the poop looked bad, but there has never been eczema, and the child was not fussy/cranky all the time to indicate that there was an issue?
Dd only had fussy/cranky stuff with wheat but I cut that out 4 months ago and since then she has only had the bad poop problem.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry for you. Hugggs. If you read through some of the older posts, you will see some moms had the same experience, with TED not helping out, but making some reactions even more visible. I did TED with my ds, and it did nothing for us short of adding more stress to our lives. I think I posted this before, but I just gave it time and it cleared up on its own, since it was the gentian violet IMHO that started the whole mess.

I am doing a rotation diet right now for my DH(Thanks 2 JaneS , cut out all grains(and I mean ALL), starches, etc -- and it is helping. It was so so so so hard to get him to not eat carbs with every meal for a week, but once he was how much better the eczemas was, he is actually pushing for it more
Rotation diets are not easy by any means, and we do not follow it hard and fast, but it is doable with a bit of planning.
Do you remember which month those posts are in? There are so many that I get overwhelmed!

There have been times when I've thought about just letting it go and just staying with the no wheat but I do worry about the long-term damage that could cause her. I would really love for everything to take a turn for the better before we start thinking about starting her on solids.

I think that the most time I'm going to give TED is a month (if I make it that far because it is making me crazy). We are also planning a trip to a naturopath and a craniosacral adjustment so maybe those will also provide some insight.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The SCD eliminates starches, not sugars per se. Pretty much all fruits are legal, and honey is, too. Bananas are supposed to be constipating, although I'm not sure why.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:

My DD had both poop issues and eczema, but she's always been a happy, mellow baby.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
sorry to jump in like this without reading all posts first.

i am trying to heal my gut.
i have started to:
eat some commercial probiotics
doing my first sprouts these days
make all food from scratch
eat raw vegetables and fruit
get my first delievery of ecological frutis and vegs in a couple of days

my plan is to go on a rawfood diet for as long time as it takes to heal my gut.
i suspect my symptoms to worsen before i get better.
my energylevel is very low and i feel like crap, and i dont feel like i prepared enough to do a detox properly. so i propone.

in the meanwhile i try to figure out exactly was is wrong with me. today one of my symptoms are really bad, worse then in months. and im desperate to understand what is going on.

my health-history is long as a novel, so i dont see how i could share it in few and informative words.

i've got a picture of this specific symptom tho, and my questions is simply:
is it ok if i post url to an image, so you can have a look and tell me if you have ever seen it before or if you get any thoughts out of it at all?

(i do meet with doctors frequently so they are aware of this. they just dont know what it is, and focus on other problems. ct and ultrasound has been done on good days when the symptom is not present. so doctors look at me strangely, and i have to do further research myself)

(im sorry my posts always get so long even when im just trying to ask a simple question ... : )
You can post a URL...what are your symptoms? IMHO a raw food diet is going to be pretty hard on a damaged gut as raw foods aren't particularly easy to digest, especially sprouts. Meats and fats are actually the easiest foods to digest, and then well-cooked fruits and veggies (some veggies, anyway), and then well-cooked soaked grains. Cooking from scratch and taking probiotics (or even better in most cases, probiotic foods like kefir or sauerkraut) are good steps to take.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
You can post a URL...what are your symptoms? IMHO a raw food diet is going to be pretty hard on a damaged gut as raw foods aren't particularly easy to digest, especially sprouts. Meats and fats are actually the easiest foods to digest, and then well-cooked fruits and veggies (some veggies, anyway), and then well-cooked soaked grains. Cooking from scratch and taking probiotics (or even better in most cases, probiotic foods like kefir or sauerkraut) are good steps to take.
my chronic everyday-symptoms:
-fatigued - very low energy level
-feeling unwell
-often bloat after meals
-gassy
-loose bowel movements
-bowels roaring, gurgling, twisting(? feels like), cramping(? feels like). feeling of big pockets of air moving around. or feeling filled with water that ripples.
-when i lay on the side it feels and sounds like it trickles. it does not like it.
-react almost to all foods. have not found any concistensy.
-sometimes heavy pulse in stomach.
-greyish coated tounge (better now that i started swishing mouth with oliveoil and brushing with water only)
plus plus

my diet:
-fruits like apple, orange, banana, grapes, kiwi, pear (raw. the concept of cooking fruit is new and strange to me)
-vegetables like carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, bell pepper, tomato, squash, lettuce, cucumber, onions, garlic, chili, celeryroot, leek. raw and cooked.
-wholemeal bread, rice, potatoes, pasta
-dairy like butter, cheese, yoghurt, milk, creme fraiche
-seafood like mackarel, trout, salmon, cod, prawns, crabs, mussel
-pork, chicken and beef
-oliveoil, rapeseedoil, soy sauce

from time to time my symptoms worsen.
like yesterday and today:
feverish
dazed and dizzy
very vey uncomfortable abdomen. varies from feeling like starving, to being too full. more painful gut movement and noises then usual.
bowel movement actually quite fine
headache
no apetite at all
and ... under my left ribs - a kinda chronic bump of uknown origins swells beyond its 'normal' size (click for picture). (i am not as thin as it looks, i am 'sucking my stomach in' to emphasize the bump).

my symptoms worsen as it swells. or the other way around. i dont know.
then suddenly it reaches a peak
and everything returns back to my stable 'normal' everyday-symptoms.

i am feeling very contaminated and out of balance. my theory the last couple of years is that something is disturbing my digestsystem and my energydrain may come from internal battles going on between immunsystem and toxins/viruses.

(ive been sick for 10+years. western medicine have no clue, and are starting to admit they actually may have caused this.)

any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:55 PM

viking--you might try eliminating grains and potatoes for a starter, as they can all be hard to digest and cause IBS-type symptoms. Whole grains are particularly difficult to digest but I've been having problems with white rice and potatoes as well. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet might be something for you to look at. www.pecanbread.com www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com
Old 04-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Whoa Viking... dr's have no idea about the bump? How awful! have you had an ultrasound or something on it? What do you think caused your problems? My causes were multiple antibx including 2 weeks of Cipro, and lots of amalgam fillings.

Have you tried digestive enzymes? With and between meals. See Yeast/Bacteria section and other sections at www.enzymestuff.com
Old 04-15-2007, 07:08 PM

Viking, you may also consider some testing, you can read about in the HTG Cheat Sheet stickied at the top of this forum.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet might be something for you to look at. www.pecanbread.com www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Have you tried digestive enzymes? With and between meals. See Yeast/Bacteria section and other sections at www.enzymestuff.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Viking, you may also consider some testing, you can read about in the HTG Cheat Sheet stickied at the top of this forum.
thank you. i will read your urls tonight

i'm afraid of hijacking this thread,
so i will write a more thorough post in a new thread.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
thank you. i will read your urls tonight

i'm afraid of hijacking this thread,
so i will write a more thorough post in a new thread.
That's what this thread is for--questions! You probably have a better chance of getting replies here than on a separate thread.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
That's what this thread is for--questions! You probably have a better chance of getting replies here than on a separate thread.
ops.
allready posted new thread with additional information here.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 AM

janeS,

is there somewhere online where i can read about the rotation diet you're doing? my daughter and i are doing SCD right now, it's been 3.5 months and it's going well. BUT, i really miss my old foods. and she is having solid stools now and the eczema is nearly gone, so i wonder if we could do a rotation diet soon. we're pretty limited on SCD because she doesn't tolerate honey nor dairy yet.

i would also love to know how far did your son's healing progress before you changed from SCD to RD? does he have yeast overgrowth? that's what we have.

thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocita View Post
janeS, is there somewhere online where i can read about the rotation diet you're doing?
If you look at the Healing the Gut cheat sheet, Jane just posted a/her rotation diet (post 29 I think)

mamas. Ive been lurking, thought Id say hi. I needed a break, as you all have mentioned.

Im plugging along. I dont know what's going on with the yeast, my original symptoms are gone, but I have some new (specifically some labial wierdness - not itch or burn exactly, and not every day), and the disappearance of the old symptoms happened since cheating a couple times a week. My gerd symptoms are still going - they improved with Kombucha for awhile and then got bad again. I have done a lot of research and am convinced it is a leaky gut issue. I also think it could be yeast related (as there is some anecdotal evidence on the web of people curing their gerd by treating their yeast ... but Id think that the gerd would not have started WHILE treating yeast. I just dont know : When I cheat, nothing changing; i.e. I dont have worse symptoms, and actually, my original yeast stuff got markedly better when I started eating grains, however, I know that grains are hard on the gut so I mostly avoid them to help heal the gerd

Anyway, I have read a lot of stuff about people managing their gerd symptoms with stuff that is all gut related (kefir, enzymes, probiotics ...) so Im thinking it can be healed.

The other piece I have going on is meditation. There is also some significant anecdotal evidence that meditation can heal the gut, as opposed to manage symptoms. Im 3 mos in to that. My gerd symptoms have improved in that time but its so hard to tell what is doing what. The meditation definitely helps with the stress of managing all this, and stress is definitely not good for the gut.

I took enzymes (DigestGold) for a month and didnt notice any difference. I am thinking of going back on them for longer and see. Anyone recomend another that is maybe a little cheaper (I have found DG for $40 for 120caps)

Happy Monday

Jess

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
If you look at the Healing the Gut cheat sheet, Jane just posted a/her rotation diet (post 29 I think)

mamas. Ive been lurking, thought Id say hi. I needed a break, as you all have mentioned.

Im plugging along. I dont know what's going on with the yeast, my original symptoms are gone, but I have some new (specifically some labial wierdness - not itch or burn exactly, and not every day), and the disappearance of the old symptoms happened since cheating a couple times a week. My gerd symptoms are still going - they improved with Kombucha for awhile and then got bad again. I have done a lot of research and am convinced it is a leaky gut issue. I also think it could be yeast related (as there is some anecdotal evidence on the web of people curing their gerd by treating their yeast ... but Id think that the gerd would not have started WHILE treating yeast. I just dont know : When I cheat, nothing changing; i.e. I dont have worse symptoms, and actually, my original yeast stuff got markedly better when I started eating grains, however, I know that grains are hard on the gut so I mostly avoid them to help heal the gerd

Anyway, I have read a lot of stuff about people managing their gerd symptoms with stuff that is all gut related (kefir, enzymes, probiotics ...) so Im thinking it can be healed.

The other piece I have going on is meditation. There is also some significant anecdotal evidence that meditation can heal the gut, as opposed to manage symptoms. Im 3 mos in to that. My gerd symptoms have improved in that time but its so hard to tell what is doing what. The meditation definitely helps with the stress of managing all this, and stress is definitely not good for the gut.

I took enzymes (DigestGold) for a month and didnt notice any difference. I am thinking of going back on them for longer and see. Anyone recomend another that is maybe a little cheaper (I have found DG for $40 for 120caps)

Happy Monday

Jess
www.throppsnutrition.com They have two different enzyme formulations. One is around $16 for 90 caps and the other is around $55 for...270 caps, I think.

Have you followed the discussion about food chemical sensitivites at all? Even if you don't have food chemical sensitivites the Failsafe diet might help you heal. www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com When I started the elimination diet I was taking 3 648 mg Betaine HCL tablets with a large meal and 2 with a smaller meal. 8 days into the elimination diet I didn't need the Betaine HCL anymore...and I'd been taking it for 5 months. So...whether or not we have food chemical sensitivities, it obviously did something, perhaps taking enough of a load off my liver for my stomach acid to finally normalize. Now if I can only figure out how to fix the rest of my digestion problems.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM

OK, ladies, I need your best healing-the-gut recommendations. I have developed IBS (or something) and I have 2.5 months to get it healed, or to the point where I can eat reasonably normally. I promised my DH that I would be done with diets and supplements when he back from his deployment the 1st of July, and right now things are so bad that I can't even eat any starches without having diarrhea. DH is extremely unhappy and wants me to go back to eating "normal" foods (none of which I can actually eat) and stop taking all supplements. He basically said I can take whatever supplements but I better be done with the supplements and eating a regular diet by the time he gets back or he will be very upset. He's not happy that a year of trying to heal the gut has essentially made things worse (probably mostly due to my own stupidity in overeating, but that's another story).

So...at this point I am still doing the Failsafe elimination diet. I've also eliminated all non-SCD foods (how ironic, now I'm coming back to the SCD). So I'm eating beef, ghee, celery, brussel sprouts, cabbage, leeks, rutabagas, garlic, celery, and pears. I'm going to start back on Enzymedica enzymes which don't contain any fillers...I stopped my enzymes for the elimination diet because they contain non-Failsafe ingredients, big mistake. I'm also planning on getting the probiotic VSL#3, which is super expensive but been proven effective for IBS and digestive disorders. It contains 450 billion CFU's of good bacteria per dose, so it ought to be pretty effective I hope, although I'm not sure if it's Failsafe or not. I was also thinking about getting some Intestinew or else plain l-glutamine. And I'm debating about whether to consult a naturopath.

I can't do bone broths on the elimination diet but that will be the first thing I add back in when I get done with the elimination diet in a couple of weeks.

So...suggestions, thoughts, anything, ladies?

DD's eczema is starting to look better again, but I'm not holding my breath on it going away completely. If Failsafe doesn't help her I'm done trying to heal her--I've done everything I can for her. She doesn't have any major issues at this point, even her poop is pretty good. She just has eczema and food allergies and cradle cap and butt-crack diaper rash and little bumps all over her torso. Hopefully she'll outgrow all of that, I guess.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

what are everyone's thoughts on allergy testing in a 6 month old? do they always do this by skin prick testing? i am thisclose to taking dd in to someone who can do it but i've heard varying opinions on that it won't pick up everything but i keep thinking even if it sheds a teeny tiny little bit of light on this whole situation then i'm up for it because NOTHING is improving
Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
caedmyn - do you think you've come full circle? are you starting to have old symptoms that you initially started with? or are these totally new ones? just trying to better understand

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

User Tag List