healing the gut -- april - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
PV - we had luck with SCD, though minus egg and dairy (DD couldn't tolerate any amount of these). After a month, she was way better (as was I, though I never thought I had problems to start with), but the first 2 weeks were way bad (brain fog, emotional basketcase, etc from die-off). However, after a few months we hit a hard place, which I later figured out was because I was overdoing the high amine/salicylate foods (most especially coconut, honey, almonds, cinnamon). To answer some of your earlier posts, I don't think it is possible to do a complete FAILSAFE and SCD diet for a long period of time- I don't think you could get enough nutrients. But you probably could do SCD and avoid the foods in the "high" catagories.

If I were starting over again knowing what I know now, I might just avoid foods I knew were bad triggers, do a rotation diet for everything else (check out the ones JaneS posted in the sticky) and dive heavy into the enzymes world. I'm just now really getting into enzymes (I dabbled before, but now I'm focused), and I'm really optimistic that this is a better answer than just avoiding everything. I'd really recommend you get DeFelice's book (the one titled something like Digestive Wealth).

Alternatively, if you go the SCD route, I'd recommend doing the intro diet for about a week and keeping a copius food log of EVERYTHING you put in either mouth (I think mine is now something like 100 pages typed) and every reaction.

Also - I think it was you who asked about allergy testing. I went this route with the blood RAST test, and it showed nothing (and I had put soooo much hope that it would give me answers). I think I needed to do it to get the doubt out of my mind, though. And in a weird way, it made me more determined to try to figure this stuff out. We are making good progress, including weight gain and virtually no digestive or eczema symptoms, but we just can't get this little girl to grow taller! She is still at 26 inches at 10 months . . .
Thank you! I've been digging around on the SCD website this afternoon when I've had moments here and there. Hopefully I can find the intro diet on there. Either that or look more into the rotation diet. I understand the philosophy behind it but I'm still hesitant YKWIM since I really have not a clue what it is that is causing these reactions. I really am at a loss as to how much time to give each diet as well...do I continue to put up with these poos with each diet x1 month? I don't know. I intuitively knew something was really wrong with TED because of the way that my body was reacting to it (major bitch, feeling starving, and not feeling myself whatsoever).

I haven't even begun to look at digestive enzymes really because I am totally overwhelmed with doing what I'm already doing. Hopefully I'll get there soon.

I really should probably not put the dairy or eggs back into it if I do end up going with SCD. I'm so hesitant with stuff now. I just want to get this fixed! It's so frustrating!

My little one is long (6 months old and just over 29 inches) but has barely gained 5 pounds on her birth weight. She looks healthy but is gaining hardly anything at all .
#122 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Sorry, I thought I had read you had postop complications(early senility is setting in, oh my

I have never had a vaginal infection in my life, but I got a great ole yeast infection in my breasts that took months to heal(gotta love those abx). I had to have had a yeast issue that just wasn't manifesting itself visibly to me. My digestive system is fully developed, DS is not. So I think it was easier for him to manifest symptoms. It was my body's way of saying: hey, I still have yeast going on in my system(even if they are no longer in the breast/visible/obvious). ykwim?
RE yeast...what do you guys think about GSE with HTG? I heard back and forth things about the safety of it. Thoughts?
#123 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Hey, I just read about a correlation between Gentamicin and ASD. There is info about auditory processing issues which
apparently came out a few years ago and the FDA calls it "possible neurotoxicity both auditory and vestibular", resulting
in auditory delays and sensitivity and sensory issues. Gentamicin is REALLY potent but it's also the best when it comes
to neonatal sepsis. It is considered a "neurotoxin" and can damage neurons.

Ds has both auditory and sensory issues and had Gentamicin at birth for possible sepsis. Did any of the other families
with ASD issues have gentamicin at birth???

Thanks. I'm trying to find some links or info about this.
http://www.nature.com/gt/journal/v7/.../3301180a.html
"Gentamicin administration often results in cochlear and/or vestibular hair cell loss and hearing
and balance impairment."

http://www.american-hearing.org/diso..._toxicity.html

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharm...ION%20USP.html
Apparently, neonates are more susceptible to nephrotoxicity and thus abnormally elevated blood levels.
And they have discussed decreasing the dosing schedule to once a day due to toxicity issues.

Here is a study specifically about this: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...gi?artid=59656

Here is the original finding of gut-flora damage linked to autism:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ids=109215 11

What is your experience with Gentamicin and gut issues???

Pat

I have a blog.
#124 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:34 PM

Can someone tell me what TED is?

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#125 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Have any moms here had kids that were not allergic to milk on the healing threads? I don't recall any.
i don't think my ds is allergic to cow/goat milk. i think he reacts to whatever crap my body dumps into my breastmilk when i drink/eat unfermented cow/goat milk or milk products. my experience, though, is completely confounded - we cut out all dairy for both of us at the same time. with almsot a full year of no ear infections, i'm obviously very reluctant to let him have milk or milk products.

that said, i wouldn't ever give ds raw unfermented milk. my mom grew up with raw milk (from the cows on their farm) but they never ever just drank it. it was always clabbered or fermented.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#126 of 268 Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Can someone tell me what TED is?
TED = total elimination diet. i think it's the one that dr sears recommends.

#127 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Thanks.

I started the candida diet (no eggs, dairy though) plus Candex for 3 days and I keep getting bloated after I eat which is not normal for me. I am also having noraml BMs. All I can think is that I replaced some fruit with gf grains/legumes. I even soak them. I was feeling pretty darn good before candida diet. I was having some labial redness/sensitivity (all external, no smell, no itching) when I got off abx so I was worried about yeast. In a yeast bloodtest 9 mos ago I was borderline in one and negative in the other 2. Maybe I don't have yeast issue and should just keep on doing what I was--no allergy foods, tradtional foods, probiotics, water kefir/kombucha....and try the peptizydes enzymes, rotation with my many IgG allergy foods?

Any thoughts appreciated. I hate wasting time and money on stuff (I am sure you all KWIM!!) Maybe the labial issue was something else (detergent, lubricant ect)

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#128 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks.

I started the candida diet (no eggs, dairy though) plus Candex for 3 days and I keep getting bloated after I eat which is not normal for me. I am also having noraml BMs. All I can think is that I replaced some fruit with gf grains/legumes. I even soak them. I was feeling pretty darn good before candida diet. I was having some labial redness/sensitivity (all external, no smell, no itching) when I got off abx so I was worried about yeast. In a yeast bloodtest 9 mos ago I was borderline in one and negative in the other 2. Maybe I don't have yeast issue and should just keep on doing what I was--no allergy foods, tradtional foods, probiotics, water kefir/kombucha....and try the peptizydes enzymes, rotation with my many IgG allergy foods?

Any thoughts appreciated. I hate wasting time and money on stuff (I am sure you all KWIM!!) Maybe the labial issue was something else (detergent, lubricant ect)

Jen
whenever i do start to get the labial itchies, i put a few drops of TTO in my underwear (5 drops min but 10 gives a nice burny cooling feeling). i also haul out the spritz bottle i used after ds was born and spray with water/TTO.

i figure it's a sign that something is a little out of whack (for me, it's usually sweets + hormones) but if i then also cut back on sweets (sweet fruit, dates, honey, yada yada yada), i can keep it in check. last spring i needed to do this fairly often for a short period, even into the summer. then i managed to go through the fall and winter without it. i only had to pull it out a week or 2 again (the week i think i had a lot of sweet dark chocolate, not cacao nibs) but only for a day or so.

i managed a few days on the anti-candida diet but it made me hungry, irritable, grumpy so i figured i'd try other ways.

have you tried calendula lotion for your redness?

#129 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 AM

I will try what you have talked about. I have some Weledela Calendula Baby Cream.

It was not everyday, more like every three days for 2 weeks. I know what you mean about the diet. I already have to cut out my allergy foods and then cut out all candida foods. It's just too much. I might as well finish my 7 more days of Candex though.

I think the next step are the peptizydes with my low-carb traditional foods diet. I am thinking of seeing how I feel on goat cheese since I have been reading more about it's proteins.

Jen

#130 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM

Cello: Thank you for your kind response.

I have an interesting story to share about ear candling.

I read in one of the yeast book that ear candling was recommended, along with other hygine practice, like brushing teath, etc. When I read that, I had an ear infection. So, I went to see my chiro which that is what I always do for the ear infection. I asked if she knew someone who would ear candle treatment for me. She did, so there I went. This was the first time I ever done the ear candling, and she showed me the cruds at the bottom of it that collects at the end. She said "Oh, look at all that YEAST!" My jar hit the flour, since I told her nothing of my yeast problem!!! According to her, you get the 'fluffy stuff' when you have a lot of yeast, and 'yellow gunk' if it collects a lot of ear wax. She also told me 'a bug' was pulled out from one patient by another practitioner, but she didn't know what kind a bug.

The treatment felt like I had gone to the dentisit to clean my teeth, but ears. My ear ache was gone the next morning (along with a chiro adjustment.)

Interesting, hun?
#131 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM

If someone asked about no 'allergy/reaction with dairy/milk' I think JaneS' DS was fine with dairy from a start.
#132 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 AM

mum2be: It is difficult to say what I am about to say here: I think your gut intuition is correct. And, here's why I think it is. I had meningitis and later encephalitis two years before I conceived my first baby. The MD couldn’t find the pathogen after three spinal taps (one was sent to Mayo Clinic), numerous blood tests, vaginal test, sinus test, etc, etc. So, they pumped me with steroids, anti-viro and anti-bacteria and whatever they can find on the pharma shelf. After staying in hospital for 2mo. and a warning of “75%chance of death” and a week at the critical care unit, I survived with no obvious (long term) side affect. I later took an IQ test, and the score was higher than the previous one I took in college LOL.

Soon after I got out of the hospital, I couldn't walk straight, very emotional, trouble with STmemory, and seemed to have lacked some logical thinking. And the humidity caused a giant headache and fatigue. The humidity continued to bother me for a long time which now I think it was the yeast related.

When my DD was born, she did not poop for a week after she passed meconium. Her baby poo was never normal and less frequent than how a baby should pooed. I was so committed with breastfeeding, I did not give up, even though I started with clogged glands and mastitis, then more incidents with the clogged glands (which I believe it was caused by undigested foods/carbohydrate), plus yeast on the nipples many times.

I exclusively bfed her for 8mo. When she started the solids, the constipation got worse. She reacted with oatmeal, but I knew nothing about gluten then. When she was a little over a year old, the evil eczema appeared at the back of her knee.

Who knows how she would be if she was bottle fed (or vaccinated!), but I feel she did not have a chance to receive any of the good, but bad guys from my breastmilk. This was one of a major reason we did not have the #3. I thought I could not give a good gut colony through my breasmilk, and I would never bottle feed a new born. At this point, I am just hoping my kids will have a functional GI. I know a very little about the embryology, but the gut and the brain develops at about the same time. Let’s just say, I hope my children are able to have the normal structure of what the gut should be…

I am not writing my story to discourage you about breastfeeding, but I would definitely take a load of probiotics and digestive enzyme for sure. Because, I believe EVERTHING will come out in your breastmilk. I mean EVERYTHING!
#133 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 AM

newcastlemama: I recommend writing food diary. You will probably find a cause of 'bloating' this way. It is a good habit to see your progress/mistakes as well. Good luck.
#134 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM

WuWei: Thanks for the interesting links!
#135 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Hey, I just read about a correlation between Gentamicin and ASD. There is info about auditory processing issues which apparently came out a few years ago and the FDA calls it "possible neurotoxicity both auditory and vestibular", resulting in auditory delays and sensitivity and sensory issues. Gentamicin is REALLY potent but it's also the best when it comes to neonatal sepsis. It is considered a "neurotoxin" and can damage neurons.

Ds has both auditory and sensory issues and had Gentamicin at birth for possible sepsis. Did any of the other families with ASD issues have gentamicin at birth???

Pat
you might want to check about the gentamicin with the Mamas of Late Talking Tots/Children Tribe
. they might also be interested, and if their kids also have gut issues it could maybe tie some things together.

my signature is usually illegible
#136 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM

bluets--if you get a chance, can you see if you can locate any studies on probiotics and IBS? I'm specifically trying to find out what strains have been shown to be effective in treating IBS. Thanks!

newcastlemama--I would not do a candida diet for one little issue like that...JMO Grains can definitely cause bloating even if they're probably prepared. Were you taking digestive enzymes with meals? That might help you to digest grains better. I have read that your body produces enzymes for foods you eat, so maybe if you've been off grains for a while your body needs to adjust. Oh, and low stomach acid can also cause bloating.
#137 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 PM

I need to get some enzymes. I am going to get the Houston peptizydes for casien/gluten issues. I read in Jane S "HTG Cheat Sheet" that I should take enzymes with and between meals. Should I take a broad-spectrum one in between? I read on enzymestuff.com that if you have lots of food sensitivities to take a really good one for healing the gut.

I am back on my "normal" diet (meat, fat, fruit, veg, nuts) and no bloating. I had been eating very few gf grains and legumes and I replaced the fruit with them on the candida diet...that seemed to be what th bloating issue was.

That is interesting about the ear candling. I need to find out more about that from my grandma.

Jen

#138 of 268 Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I need to get some enzymes. I am going to get the Houston peptizydes for casien/gluten issues. I read in Jane S "HTG Cheat Sheet" that I should take enzymes with and between meals. Should I take a broad-spectrum one in between? I read on enzymestuff.com that if you have lots of food sensitivities to take a really good one for healing the gut.

I am back on my "normal" diet (meat, fat, fruit, veg, nuts) and no bloating. I had been eating very few gf grains and legumes and I replaced the fruit with them on the candida diet...that seemed to be what th bloating issue was.

That is interesting about the ear candling. I need to find out more about that from my grandma.

Jen
You probably just need one with proteases for in between meals. You could take the Peptidase, or maybe something like Wobenzyme which is cheaper I think. It wouldn't hurt to take a broad spectrum one, though, if you wanted to do that instead, just make sure it is high in proteases.
#139 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
you might want to check about the gentamicin with the Mamas of Late Talking Tots/Children Tribe
. they might also be interested, and if their kids also have gut issues it could maybe tie some things together.
Thanks. I will.

Pat

I have a blog.
#140 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post

She is exclusively breastfed. I started with no dairy and then at 2 months old went to no wheat. For a month I did no dairy, wheat, soy, egg, nut, shellfish, tomato and beans - no improvement. Did TED x1 week this last week and things almost seemed to get worse.

She gets probiotics x2 a day and I take omegas, CLO, and probiotics as well.
Corn. Eliminate corn. It is very highly genetically modified. Ds (6) can now eat organic corn without issue. But, until age 3, we avoided all corn. Brocolli family too caused fussy baby. I assume you are not using casein or whey processed into foods.

We've had the most benefit from classical homeopathy, imo. (in conjunction with a fairly clean diet)

Pat

I have a blog.
#141 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
just a shot in the dark... have you ever tried putting the probiotics on her bottom instead of in her mouth? i just heard a chiropractor recommend that - the critters then don't have to survive stomach acid.
I've heard this is much more effective.

Pat

I have a blog.
#142 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Hi, I'm really sorry to just barge in here when I know a lot of you have been active participants on this thread for a really long time, working hard to heal your or your child's guts. I was here briefly last year when my son was a baby, spitting up a lot and not sleeping well. I never really resolved the problems (he stopped spitting up on his own and he's still a super-light sleeper), but it was the info here that made me re-think being a vegan and got me looking into WAPF. I now eat meat and dairy again, and I've been taking Blue Ice CLO. I actually think it was the Vitamin D in the CLO that made me get my period on my own (twice now!) for the first time since I was about 14. (I did IVF to get pregnant with my son because I didn't ovulate/menstruate on my own.)

But I digress...

My son had eczema-like patches over his whole body, but mostly on his back, so I took him to a naturopath who recommended doing a blood test for food sensitivites/allergies. The test was done by US BioTek, and it says that they are food antibody test results, and I only see the IgG antibody on the results.

He tested with moderate reactions to some dairy, including milk, and wheat. I had removed milk from his diet prior to receiving the test results (we'd been doing raw milk for a while and then most recently pastuerized milk) and his back really cleared up.

The naturopath said that a milk sensitivity would cause noticeable problems, like the skin issue, and the wheat sensitivity would cause problems with my son absorbing nutrients during digestion. She suggested cutting dairy and wheat out for six months and then having my son re-tested.

We're now on day three of no wheat and limited dairy (I haven't cut it all out yet...and I'm hoping we can still do raw milk cheese and yogurt).

I guess my question is...what EXACTLY do these tests mean? Is it possible that my son's sensitivities will just clear up on his own if the offending foods are removed from his system for a while?

Also, I had always thought that a wheat intolerance (i.e., celiac disease, which his half-aunt has) would cause some sort of symptoms. Maybe not diarrhea, but delayed growth or constant illness in kids. My son has always been off the charts for height and at the top for weight, and rarely gets sick. Is it possible that he could have celiac disease? The test indicated that he didn't seem to have a problem with gluten, just wheat.

If anyone has experience with these tests or can direct me to some information, I would be very grateful. I am printing out this month's thread to read during my son's naptime, so I'm sorry if this has been covered this month.

ETA: My son also has keratosis pilaris on his upper arms and cheeks, and his cheeks have a tendency to get red and rough (sometimes they are smoother and lighter). His skin all over his body has a tendency to get rough and pimply, too. I don't know if that's a dairy or a wheat thing, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#143 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
You probably just need one with proteases for in between meals. You could take the Peptidase, or maybe something like Wobenzyme which is cheaper I think. It wouldn't hurt to take a broad spectrum one, though, if you wanted to do that instead, just make sure it is high in proteases.
Thanks again Caedmyn. The wobenzyme is supposed to help with inflammation! Hopefully that will do the trick on my last lingering Lyme syptoms...which is mostly stiffness, not really pain at this point.

Jen

#144 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post

The naturopath said that a milk sensitivity would cause noticeable problems, like the skin issue, and the wheat sensitivity would cause problems with my son absorbing nutrients during digestion. She suggested cutting dairy and wheat out for six months and then having my son re-tested.

We're now on day three of no wheat and limited dairy (I haven't cut it all out yet...and I'm hoping we can still do raw milk cheese and yogurt).

I guess my question is...what EXACTLY do these tests mean? Is it possible that my son's sensitivities will just clear up on his own if the offending foods are removed from his system for a while?

Also, I had always thought that a wheat intolerance (i.e., celiac disease, which his half-aunt has) would cause some sort of symptoms. Maybe not diarrhea, but delayed growth or constant illness in kids. My son has always been off the charts for height and at the top for weight, and rarely gets sick. Is it possible that he could have celiac disease? The test indicated that he didn't seem to have a problem with gluten, just wheat.

If anyone has experience with these tests or can direct me to some information, I would be very grateful. I am printing out this month's thread to read during my son's naptime, so I'm sorry if this has been covered this month.

ETA: My son also has keratosis pilaris on his upper arms and cheeks, and his cheeks have a tendency to get red and rough (sometimes they are smoother and lighter). His skin all over his body has a tendency to get rough and pimply, too. I don't know if that's a dairy or a wheat thing, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
It's highly unlikely that you're going to be able to do dairy in any form (except perhaps ghee). Generally if they react to dairy, they react to all of it, unless the problem is actually lactose intolerance which is unlikely in a baby or toddler.

I think wheat or gluten intolerances are much more common than celiac disease. The wheat/gluten related symptoms you're thinking of are related to celiac disease I think. My DD is intolerant to wheat and she reacted with extreme restlessness at night and green mucousy poops. She's always been a happy baby and has grown normally as well. She only had one very minor cold until she was 12 months, also (that was the age at which I realized she was wheat intolerant).

It is possible that removing the offending foods will allow your son to outgrow his food intolerances.

I think the rough and pimply skin is related to eczema as my DD has the same thing and when her eczema gets worse those patches get red and obviously eczema-y instead of just bumpy. It's not dairy or wheat related for her, though, at least not at this point as those have been out of our diets for quite a long time.
#145 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
My DD is intolerant to wheat and she reacted with extreme restlessness at night and green mucousy poops. She's always been a happy baby and has grown normally as well. She only had one very minor cold until she was 12 months, also (that was the age at which I realized she was wheat intolerant).
Did your daughter's nighttime restlessness abate when you removed wheat from her diet?

Thanks for your reply...I really appreciate hearing about first-hand experiences.

#146 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
there might be something in the Nutrition/Immunology 101 sticky in the Vaccinations forum on this matter. i think it might be a vitamin A deficiency or maybe an EFA deficiency? my dh has something like this and it goes away when he, at the very least, stays on top of his EFA intake.

#147 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My son had eczema-like patches over his whole body, but mostly on his back, so I took him to a naturopath who recommended doing a blood test for food sensitivites/allergies. The test was done by US BioTek, and it says that they are food antibody test results, and I only see the IgG antibody on the results.
i thought IgG meant that the problem was then in the nursing mama, and that it would clear up when (a) mama addressed her issues and (b) babe stopped nursing and (c) babe would then likely outgrow it. i could be wrong or remembering wrong though.

so when you say that you cut out milk and wheat, was it just you (and you're still nursing)? or was it both of you (and you're still nursing)? or was it your child who isn't doing milk/wheat (and you're not nursing) ?

(the whole nursing thing throws a confounding factor into babe's gut issues and it irritates me that docs, even alternative ones, often fail to treat mom and babe as an integrated pair)

#148 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did your daughter's nighttime restlessness abate when you removed wheat from her diet?

Thanks for your reply...I really appreciate hearing about first-hand experiences.
DOH!

my ds has been waking up SCREAMING at 2:30am for the past 2 nights. then he rolls around on the floor, eventually passes a big fart and settles down. i thought it was first because AF came around - who knows what goes on physiologically really when that happens.

i've been eating a lot of (storebought cultured) butter lately and some icky wheat-containing soy sauce. maybe the butter isn't cultured enough and maybe the soy sauce has enough wheat to be an irritant.

but, yes, New Mama, in general, when i avoid uncultured dairy (at least) my ds has good nights. i'm 95% certain that his nights are also blissful when i don't eat wheat. note that ds can - indeed does - eat wheat regularly. for me, cultured dairy means homegrown kefir ONLY. no cheese unless it is homegrown kefir cheese. no storebought yogurt (i'm too lazy to make my own yogurt). i MAY be able to do sourdough bread, but that would be the extent of the wheat. for both dairy and wheat, the fermentation process breaks down, minimally, the immunogenic proteins but may also breakdown casein (in milk) and gluten (in wheat and other grains) enough to not spit out the opioid-like peptides (casomorphin and gluteomorphin) that cause me (and ds) so much trouble.

#149 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
there might be something in the Nutrition/Immunology 101 sticky in the Vaccinations forum on this matter. i think it might be a vitamin A deficiency or maybe an EFA deficiency? my dh has something like this and it goes away when he, at the very least, stays on top of his EFA intake.
I was giving my son CLO for a while, but it didn't seem to make a difference with him, nor does it with me (I have KP on my upper arms, too). Thanks, though.

#150 of 268 Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
i thought IgG meant that the problem was then in the nursing mama, and that it would clear up when (a) mama addressed her issues and (b) babe stopped nursing and (c) babe would then likely outgrow it. i could be wrong or remembering wrong though.

so when you say that you cut out milk and wheat, was it just you (and you're still nursing)? or was it both of you (and you're still nursing)? or was it your child who isn't doing milk/wheat (and you're not nursing) ?

(the whole nursing thing throws a confounding factor into babe's gut issues and it irritates me that docs, even alternative ones, often fail to treat mom and babe as an integrated pair)
Well, my son is almost 21 months and while he IS still nursing a lot, he also eats a lot of food on his own (he started solids at about nine or ten months). I'm cutting out wheat and milk, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page