Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
constipated or too loose?
constipated

Quote:

if constipated, applesauce, more probiotics, and magnesium. if too loose, applesauce mixed with ground flaxseeds and more probiotics
She doesn't do apples because they are a food reactive on her IGG. Today is pear day though. She now is in too much pain to take her meds including her probiotics and mag supplement, and we are working on it. Maybe the slippery elm gruel listed below will help get her to that point.

Quote:

have you considered a homeopathic remedy? [url]
Yes, I did the abchomeopathy website a couple of days ago. I think I put in too many things. It came up with Sulpher as the remedy. I gave her one dose. I have maybe another dose and some fligbits left and that is all I have of sulpher. I wonder if I could make a water remedy with RO water? I have enough money for the naturopath and that is it right now. The owner of the HFS in town might let me do an IOU for some things. Chammomilla sounds good because she just lost two teeth, and she is teething.

Speaking of the teething...

I thought last weeks double ear infection could be related to her leaving her two front teeth in waaay to long until they became a little bit dark and discolored. During last weeks double ear episode we did garlic/mullein oil ear drops warmed, pulsitilla during the day/belladonna at night, then switched to mercurius viv. after linking the whole episode to the teeth (with the help of a homeopath who can't help us any further because of the NSAIDS). The teeth both came out after, one by a Daddy yank, and the other from the dentist (much easier). Her cough and runny nose went away the next day after the mercurius, her ear pain went away after the merc. and the ear drops and ear candles.

I did four ear candles on her, 2 one day, and 2 a few days later, and got out more wax than I have ever seen in a person, let alone a child. As per the homeopaths instructions, she used a saline nasal spray and a salt water gargle to keep the infection from spreading. The thought has occured to me that this could be a healing crisis, or leftovers from the ear infection...but it is the description of the stomach pain as a violent pulling motion away from the body in a circle 2 to 3 inches around the navel that makes me wonder. That makes me think the pain is not from the ear infection or constipation. Maybe it is as a result of the high dose Virastop protocol she has been on with mega doses of proteases or the Naproxen. She tends to constipation and has had some smallish poops daily recently but last Tuesday over a week ago, poop was perfect. Most likely it could be the Naproxen which prolonged use (and she's been on it for three months) can cause gastritis or stomach irritation. I sure do hope the naturopath has some ideas. It gets to be COMPLICATED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Slippery elm bark powder is good for diarrhea or soothing upset stomachs...it'd probably be good for constipation as well as it is high in soluble fiber. Mix 1 Tbsp. slippery elm bark and 1 tsp. cinnamon (you can skip the cinnamon or use a different flavoring) with enough water to make a gruel.
so cool. There is some slippery elm in caps on the clearance rack right now and I have cinnamon. I am going to go get that.

Quote:

I'd been meaning to PM you, too...I thought of your daughter when I read this link about lectins and rheumatoid arthritis [url]
Thank You. I am a member of the lectins in autism group. I just haven't done anything with lectins yet. I was doing things one at a time and we were doing the high dose virastop protocol. I will go read those links.

Quote:
ETA: this information might be interesting to you as well, as there can definitely be a link between salicylates (found in NSAIDs) and stomach problems (and if not for your DD, maybe for one of your other kids)
www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com
www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info
Thanks, I will read those too. Yeah, so why are they prescribing Pepto Bismol with even more salicylates in them for stomach irritation? It has ALUMINUM in it, YK? Not to mention food colorings. The only reason she is on the NSAIDS is that the other choices given were going blind, or immunosuppressors. It looked like the best choice of those three. I so hope the naturopath can find her homeopathic remedy for this whole thing, then maybe she can wean off the NSAIDS.

I am going to call in to her rheumy and see if for now we can get the NSAIDS in an injection to bypass the digestive system.
#182 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ladies,

I have cramp bark herb leftover from a birth. Does anyone know if I can make a tea out of it for my daughters stomach pain? Can you give it to children? She's having the fennel tea now.
#183 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
I wonder if I could make a water remedy with RO water?
i'm sure you could. isn't something like 3-5 tablets in 4 oz of water? but then that changes the dilution too... though it would make it more potent.

i just read that one can make one's OWN homeopathics from diseased tissue or urine, mix with water, dilute, dilute, dilute, ad nauseum... THAT just creeps me out a bit.... I lost the URL but it was an article by Walter Last.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#184 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Btw, here is an old post of mine regarding hormonal balance and saliva testing and bio-identical replacement therapy. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...va#post5178228

Pat

Excellent!! Thanks for this

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#185 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
i just read that one can make one's OWN homeopathics from diseased tissue or urine, mix with water, dilute, dilute, dilute, ad nauseum... THAT just creeps me out a bit.... I lost the URL but it was an article by Walter Last.
Yeah, did you ever hear that in the ancient orient they would drink their own urine as a cure for diseases? I couldn't eat my plancenta at my homebirth when I hemmoraged, I doubt seriously if any child o' mine will drink their own pee. Diluting though, where would we be w/o that invention!?! I might have been more agreeable to a homeopathic preparation of a very diluted placenta from someone else that hemmorraged, YK? Fascinating idea. I'm gonna have to google that. Diluting pee for a homeopathic remedy creeps me out much less than Naproxen though.
#186 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

bestbirths, does your ND do bodywork too? sometimes simple CST can help. i just read something about clearing chakras (a form of bodywork) to help relieve pain - has a chiropractor-ish sound to it.

#187 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I know that stress increases magnesium needs and most pregnant and breastfeeding women have insufficient magnesium in their diet. Magnesium helps hormones to be utilized properly.

Pat
Very interesting. You know, I am taking a cal/mag/zinc supplement my ND put me on. It has about 120% of the RDA for mag. I also got the Aussie Sea Minerals because everyone raves about them. I took two doses (one a day, for two days straight) and had loose bowels. When I stopped taking it, they went away.

Then I realized the Aussie Minerals have a little over the RDA % for magnesium too, so I assumed I had gone over my bowel tolerance for magnesium which meant I wasn't too depleted, but perhaps it was something else in them.

Interesting that my eczema has gotten worse and acne since I ran out of my cal/mag supplement about 3 weeks ago. It was better at first, but has since gotten much worse.

My ND is now saying my hormones looks relatively okay (estrogen and progesterone) but I still feel like they are all out of whack. When I was on birth control, I felt the best I ever had in my entire life.

I had some split pea soup yesterday and dd reacted with lots of gas. She was up a lot last night. I had some gas too, but now I always do with something I eat that I haven't in a while. It seems the longer I stay away from foods, the more I react to new ones when I reintroduce them. It's frustrating.

Part of me can't wait until dd stops nursing so I can really work on getting myself into better shape. I feel like my limited diet is really ruining my health, but I don't want to add stuff in now and have her react to everything :

So, a doctor I went to see a while ago said that I just needed to eat more things and that dd would eventually stop reacting to it the more I ate it. I'm assuming he has no idea what he's talking about, but does anyone know if this could be true? Wishful thinking...

#188 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

mum2be - you should read "Mother Nurture" or google "Depleted Mother Syndrome". this book belongs in every mom's library.

as for the split pea soup - from a can or homemade? can you narrow it down to something in the soup?

#189 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
bestbirths, does your ND do bodywork too? sometimes simple CST can help. i just read something about clearing chakras (a form of bodywork) to help relieve pain - has a chiropractor-ish sound to it.
It will be our first time going to him. He does something called Naturopathic manipulation, specific manipulation of muscles and joints. Maybe he will reach right in somewhere and fix things.

p.s. The fennel tea helped her tummy a little but not enough for her to take her medicine or supplements.
#190 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Btw, here is an old post of mine regarding hormonal balance and saliva testing and bio-identical replacement therapy. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...va#post5178228

Pat
Thank you!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#191 of 268 Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Diluting pee for a homeopathic remedy creeps me out much less than Naproxen though.
I agree!

Pat

I have a blog.
#192 of 268 Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM

We started giving dd (11 mos) some enzymes (Houston Zyme Prime) - just a teeny bit only with breakfast for the past few days. Now her poops are all mushy and yellow. And although there was undigested food in her poops before they weren't mushy and they didn't smell bad. Now they smell sour.
Is this normal?
#193 of 268 Old 04-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
We started giving dd (11 mos) some enzymes (Houston Zyme Prime) - just a teeny bit only with breakfast for the past few days. Now her poops are all mushy and yellow. And although there was undigested food in her poops before they weren't mushy and they didn't smell bad. Now they smell sour.
Is this normal?
I'm not sure why enzymes would cause that--is there anything else diet or supplement-wise that's changed since you started giving her the enzymes? And is the sour smell nasty or more along the lines of EBF baby poop smell?

Oh...could she be teething? It just struck me that your description sounds an awful lot like my DD's teething poops (only hers are orange)...she got her first teeth around 5 months but the teething poop started when she was cutting molars around 12 months.
#194 of 268 Old 04-20-2007, 06:06 PM

I've been doing some reading on supplements for IBS. Two that seem to be popular and apparently pretty successful are calcium supplements (not sure why those would help) and soluble fiber supplements. It sounds like they are more for managing/eliminating the symptoms rather than actually healing, but they might be worth a shot in any case. Psyllium is the recommended fiber supplement but I've heard some bad things about that...I wonder if I could use ground flaxseed instead.

Also, I've read that l-glutamine can sometimes be converted into glutamates (natural MSG) in the gut...anyone know anything about this? I suspect DD might have a problem with glutamates due to an eczema flare-up after I ate chocolate coconut milk pudding made with gelatin so I don't want to take l-glutamine if it could cause problems for her.
#195 of 268 Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why enzymes would cause that--is there anything else diet or supplement-wise that's changed since you started giving her the enzymes? And is the sour smell nasty or more along the lines of EBF baby poop smell?

Oh...could she be teething? It just struck me that your description sounds an awful lot like my DD's teething poops (only hers are orange)...she got her first teeth around 5 months but the teething poop started when she was cutting molars around 12 months.
Hmm, it could be. She hasn't ever really had teething poops before when she was teething, especially not anything like this, but she has been drooling terribly and chewing like she has another one coming (she just cut 4 in three weeks not too long ago).
It seems to mostly be the first diaper of the day (the one with the previous day's breakfast still in pieces in it ). If she has another poopy one it is also mushy, but not as much. Her poops smell almost nasty sour. Like grown-up sour poop She has been eating bites of fermented veggies, but she has been doing that for more than a week now and it hadn't influenced her poops before. And it seemed to start right with the enzymes. Sigh, always something more to figure out.
#196 of 268 Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Hmm, it could be. She hasn't ever really had teething poops before when she was teething, especially not anything like this, but she has been drooling terribly and chewing like she has another one coming (she just cut 4 in three weeks not too long ago).
It seems to mostly be the first diaper of the day (the one with the previous day's breakfast still in pieces in it ). If she has another poopy one it is also mushy, but not as much. Her poops smell almost nasty sour. Like grown-up sour poop She has been eating bites of fermented veggies, but she has been doing that for more than a week now and it hadn't influenced her poops before. And it seemed to start right with the enzymes. Sigh, always something more to figure out.
You could always stop the enzymes for a bit and see what happens...if the weird poops go away and you re-start the enzymes and they come back, you'll know it's the enzymes.

My DD's teething poop definitely has a very distinctive smell--as soon as I smell it I know she's teething again! It seems like it's kind of a strong sickly sweetish-sour kind of smell, if that makes any sense (sorry, TMI!).
#197 of 268 Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
My DD's teething poop definitely has a very distinctive smell--as soon as I smell it I know she's teething again! It seems like it's kind of a strong sickly sweetish-sour kind of smell, if that makes any sense (sorry, TMI!).
That's the smell! So I think it is teething. If it doesn't get better I might just stop the enzymes and reintroduce later.
Thanks!
#198 of 268 Old 04-21-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi Mamas,

sorry to just jump right in with this, but do you have any thoughts?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...32#post7912832

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#199 of 268 Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Hello everyone. I've been MIA for a while. I haven't had the energy to delve into this thread, but I'm gearing up again. Dd is slowly weaning. In some ways, I'm sad, but in other ways, I'm happy. I feel like I'll be able to see her problems more clearly when they're not linked to my breastmilk.

All of my questions and comments just flew from my head, lol. I guess I'll just check back later. I'm starting more vigorously with dd's supplements/rotation diet this week, so I'll post how it all works out.

I did want to say that her yeast seems to be under control for the time being. I'm so thrilled about that. Also, she's able to tolerate fruits now that she didn't before (like grapes). I believe it's because her gut has healed from where it was and because of the probiotics and breastmilk she's received.

I'm holding out hope that she can outgrow these allergies and sensitivities.

Does anyone know of a connection between nsaids overuse and later salicylate sensitivity? I took soooooo much Tylenol as a teen (constant headaches which I'm sure were diet related) and now, my dd has poblems with high salicylate foods. Just wondering if anyone had run across any info. I'm curious to see if her reactions will lessen when she's not nursing any more.
#200 of 268 Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Hello Ladies,

This is my first post on this thread after lurking reading archives for a few months. When my dd developed eczema at 4 mo (she's now 6.5 mo) I started my research and finally figured out that eczema = food allergy/sensitivity = leaky gut = yeast overgrowth. Last week I noticed that I have oral thrush, so I'm pretty sure the yeast are in my gut, too. dd almost always has mucousy stool and a few times has had blood in it. I've eliminated dairy and soy (except for occasional soybean oil) with modest improvements. No more bloody stool, but still mucousy and still eczema.

My current plan is to use probiotics and enzymes to try to get rid of the yeast using the strategy outlines on enymestuff.com. (Basically, you take probiotics and enymes with meals to help heal the gut and proteases and a yeast-targeting enzyme formula between meals to kill the yeast)

I have a ton of questions but here's a couple for right now:

1. Has anybody had success with this strategy? And what dietary changes should I make? People seem to talk about "the" yeast control diet, but I've seen a lot of permutations of it. I know at the very least I need to reduce sugar and starch. Do I need to eliminate it all together? Go gluten free? Eliminate all grains? If so, what in the world to I eat?

2. Is it likely that I've passed on the yeast to dd? She doesn't have thrush or diaper rash. I've been giving her Solray Baby Life because it is dairy-free but it has maltodextrin in it. If she has yeast will the maltodextrin feed the yeast? Should I switch to something else?

3. A question about proteases. From enzymesuff.com I understand that taking them without food will target and degrade bad bacteria and yeast. Can they really distinguish between good bacteria and bad bacteria? Therefore, will they degrade all kinds of bacteria, both good and bad, and have an effect similar to antibiotics? I suppose that if they do, it makes probiotics all the more important.

4. Die-off. I have been taking Lactozyme and Peptizyde without any problem. Yesterday I took half a Digest Gold with a light breakfast and I felt horrible all day (still do). I was nauseated all day, achy, extremely tired, vomiting. I suppose it is different for everyone, but is this die-off? It was unbearable. dd got cranky. I think I'll stay away from the Digest Gold for a while.

Wow, this got long, fast. Sorry! Thanks in advance for any imput you have. I cannot tell you have glad I am that I found MDC!

-Heather
#201 of 268 Old 04-22-2007, 02:59 PM

TushasAmi - here's my $.02 on yeast and leaky gut:

Leaky gut does not necessarily = yeast, but yeast means your gut was leaky, and the yeast is furthering that. Id say you had/have leaky gut and that opened the door to the allergies, yeast, etc.

Since you are breastfeeding, the enzyme plan sounds good. Others here are more versed in enzymes and bf'ing though. I would throw in some raw garlic too. A couple cloves a day.

The diet; there are variations, but I think it depends on how bad your symptoms are and how vigorously you want to address it. I think people who include some grains (millet, amaranth, etc) are not getting at the yeast as well as people who do not. Same for fruit. Personally, I dont see overcoming yeast while eating these. When I was treating yeast, I ate low carb veggies (no carrots, potaties, beets), meat, and good fats, eggs, and after several months, some soaked nuts. It took a little while to get used to it, but once I did, not a big deal. Nowadays, I dont really feel nourished when I eat grains - I thought I missed them, but eating them again is very anticlimactic

Your dd inherited her gut flora from passage through the birth canal, and from your bm. So Id say, yeah, there's a good chance she has some yeast overgrowth too. I think the little maltodextrin is not significant, especially when compared to the benefit of the probiotic.

You are in a great place for information and support through this.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#202 of 268 Old 04-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TushasAmi View Post
Last week I noticed that I have oral thrush, so I'm pretty sure the yeast are in my gut, too. dd almost always has mucousy stool and a few times has had blood in it. I've eliminated dairy and soy (except for occasional soybean oil) with modest improvements. No more bloody stool, but still mucousy and still eczema.
Do you have thrush or just a white coating on your tongue? If it's not painful or uncomfortable, it's probably not thrush. I had a white coating on my tongue for a long time, but it wasn't thrush. Also, IME wheat and nuts caused mucous in my DD's stool. (Dairy caused blood in the stool, and I avoid soy so I never had to worry about that.)

Quote:
1. Has anybody had success with this strategy? And what dietary changes should I make? People seem to talk about "the" yeast control diet, but I've seen a lot of permutations of it. I know at the very least I need to reduce sugar and starch. Do I need to eliminate it all together? Go gluten free? Eliminate all grains? If so, what in the world to I eat?
I think all candida diets eliminate all fruit and sweeteners, except stevia. Most also eliminate starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, and yams. Some eliminate all grains, and some allow small amounts of grains other than wheat. And most eliminate dairy as well. Most allow nuts (you can make lots of baked goods with nuts). You can eat lots of meat and veggies, and eggs, and good healthy fats like butter. IME eating lots of fat is key to success with a low-carb diet like a candida diet--add tons of butter, coconut oil, etc to your food. Coconut oil is also anti-fungal so it's great for yeast.

Quote:
2. Is it likely that I've passed on the yeast to dd? She doesn't have thrush or diaper rash. I've been giving her Solray Baby Life because it is dairy-free but it has maltodextrin in it. If she has yeast will the maltodextrin feed the yeast? Should I switch to something else?
If your DD doesn't have any signs of yeast problems I wouldn't worry about her having yeast. I think the benefits of the BabyLife will outweigh the negatives of the maltodextrin.

Quote:
3. A question about proteases. From enzymesuff.com I understand that taking them without food will target and degrade bad bacteria and yeast. Can they really distinguish between good bacteria and bad bacteria? Therefore, will they degrade all kinds of bacteria, both good and bad, and have an effect similar to antibiotics? I suppose that if they do, it makes probiotics all the more important.
I don't know about the proteases working on both good and bad bacteria, but like you said, you should be taking probiotics anyway.

Quote:
4. Die-off. I have been taking Lactozyme and Peptizyde without any problem. Yesterday I took half a Digest Gold with a light breakfast and I felt horrible all day (still do). I was nauseated all day, achy, extremely tired, vomiting. I suppose it is different for everyone, but is this die-off? It was unbearable. dd got cranky. I think I'll stay away from the Digest Gold for a while.
You can try the low-and-slow method of introducing new enzymes, although it seems to me that if you tolerate peptizyde fine it's probably not the Digest Gold causing problems for you as it seems like it's the proteases that people have trouble with when starting new enzymes. Did you eat anything different than you normally do? It could just have been some sort of virus, too, who knows.
#203 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 03:29 AM

So an update for us is that I took dd to a naturopath who told me that I needed to stop trying the different diets ASAP because he said he was really worried about the quality of my breastmilk and because I am pretty badly anemic and have been bleeding a lot since starting back my cycles. He has put me and dd both on some really strong non-dairy probiotics and said that he wants me to do those x2 weeks and then see what happens. I'm still continuing to do dairy and wheat free in the meantime as well. I'm staying a little leery though because I'm not going to spends a gob of money on unecessary supplements (you know how NDs can be sometimes).

I left there a little grumpy though because he wants me to start dd on blackstrap molasses, which I am NOT going to do. He's BIG on starting solids ASAP and doing lots of iron rich foods.

I have no faith that this will change anything whatsoever but I'll willing to play his game for a while. I told him about my suspicions on salicylates so maybe after we do this I can try that diet next.

I've also setup an appointment for dd with my really great allergist (I have lots of love for him because he finally diagnosed me with sulfite and MSG sensitivities after many other allergists couldn't figure out what was going on). I'm hoping that he can provide some insight as well. We'll see.
#204 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 AM

P.S.

Could someone please explain to me the difference between reaction poop and teething poop?

I think dd has a mix of the 2, but if these good probiotics do start clearing things up how can I tell?
#205 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
I've also setup an appointment for dd with my really great allergist (I have lots of love for him because he finally diagnosed me with sulfite and MSG sensitivities after many other allergists couldn't figure out what was going on). I'm hoping that he can provide some insight as well. We'll see.
From what I've read if you react to one food chemical it's highly likely you react to others, also, and since food chemical intolerances tend to run in families, it seems likely to me that you'll see good results (for both of you) from Failsafe.
#206 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
P.S.

Could someone please explain to me the difference between reaction poop and teething poop?

I think dd has a mix of the 2, but if these good probiotics do start clearing things up how can I tell?
I second this Dd is cutting her first tooth now.

#207 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
P.S.

IME teething poop doesn't last very long and has a distinctive smell and color (orange for DD). Reaction poop was sporadic (of course if you're eating the food regularly it could be constant) and green, always green for us. My DD also tended to poop in the middle of the night when she was reacting to something, which she didn't normally do.

I would say just watch for symtoms of reactions and symptoms of teething. If she's drooling a lot and chewing on everything she's likely teething. If the probiotics help, then you'll know it was a reaction poop. Although IME probiotics didn't help with reactions, they just helped normalize DD's poops after I'd eliminated the allergens, and they seemed to help her gut heal somewhat (no more blood in stool) from the dairy intolerance.
#208 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 10:41 AM

caedmyn-About the IBS, have you read the info on Bifidus and the reduction of IBS? My ND sent me an article Natren just put out. I could try to scan it and send it to you if you're interested.

Question about dd's poops...(yes, more poop questions )

Since starting solids, they contain very little mucus. Before, it was VERY mucusy. I could even post a picture. It looked like a giant sneezed in her diaper They were gross. We are doing mashed and pureed foods (no flames please, she doesn't quite get the mashing with her gums part yet) and eats only about a 1/4-1/2 jar total daily of usually two different foods. We have been doing pears, bananas, apples and plums, apples and apricots, peas, carrots and squash. She LOVES peas. I opened the jar and gagged, but she loved them!

Also, since eating more solids she is sleeping better.

Coincidence? Or was she really hungry a lot because I have a low supply? Or is my BM really hurting her?

This is pushing me to consider supplementing her with a hypoallergenic formula in a sippy cup to see if I can lessen the impact my BM has on her gut.

Any ideas?

#209 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
caedmyn-About the IBS, have you read the info on Bifidus and the reduction of IBS? My ND sent me an article Natren just put out. I could try to scan it and send it to you if you're interested.

Question about dd's poops...(yes, more poop questions )

Since starting solids, they contain very little mucus. Before, it was VERY mucusy. I could even post a picture. It looked like a giant sneezed in her diaper They were gross. We are doing mashed and pureed foods (no flames please, she doesn't quite get the mashing with her gums part yet) and eats only about a 1/4-1/2 jar total daily of usually two different foods. We have been doing pears, bananas, apples and plums, apples and apricots, peas, carrots and squash. She LOVES peas. I opened the jar and gagged, but she loved them!

Also, since eating more solids she is sleeping better.

Coincidence? Or was she really hungry a lot because I have a low supply? Or is my BM really hurting her?

This is pushing me to consider supplementing her with a hypoallergenic formula in a sippy cup to see if I can lessen the impact my BM has on her gut.

Any ideas?
I haven't read that article--if you know the name of it I can try to search for it so you don't have to try to scan it.

Did your DD seem dissatisfied frequently after nursing? It's possible that she was truly hungry although it's always hard to know if things are just a coincidence or not (speaking from personal experience!).

I think in your situation I'd be more inclined to try to up your DD's consumption of easy-to-digest, nourishing foods than going with formula...I have a bit of a mental block against commercial formula, I guess. You could try pureed meats (definitely get grass-fed if at all possible). Ghee would be a really good thing to get into her, too (you could melt it and mix it with her baby food). I really think for a young baby if they're eating much at all it's better to give them pureed foods they can actually digest rather than letting them self-feed foods that they can't digest. I think the main point of self-feeding is not encouraging them to eat too many solids too early, but in your case you want your DD to eat more so purees would be better. And if your DD does well with meat and ghee you could consider giving her egg yolks...eggs are such a nutrient-dense food it's sad that they're such a common allergen, but I think it'd be worth a try because of the nutritional value.
#210 of 268 Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Well my VSL3 probiotics came on Thursday and I've been taking them...today I actually had a normal BM (as opposed to either cramps & diarrhea or major constipation, sorry TMI!). I've also started taking some pascalite clay, which is supposed to absorb the toxins from bad bacteria (which could be causing diarrhea), and also to kill some bad bacteria. Which makes me wonder if perhaps the reason that Primal Defense with it's soil-based organisms is effective for some people is because of the dirt itself, and not because of whatever good bacteria is supposed to be in it. I'm also trying to make sure I stay relaxed since stress is a common cause of or trigger for IBS. I didn't think I was terribly stressed but perhaps I was more stressed than I realized.

I haven't been able to find much information on the underlying cause of IBS, but I think it is probably either due to a gut flora imbalance with the bad bacteria producing all sorts of toxins, or due to inflammation. I'm hoping that a program that addresses both possibilities (probiotics, foods that don't trigger attacks, pascalite clay, calcium & magnesium to relax the gut, and possibly raw garlic or another natural anti-bacterial to kill off any bad bacteria, and possibly l-glutamine) will address and fix the problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page