healing the gut -- april - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 268 Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TushasAmi View Post
This week I started giving dd her Baby Life protbiotic (two scoops a day) after a break for a week or two and it has corresponded with poops that are a LOT more mucousy and greener and more frequent than ususal. Does this seem like a normal reaction? Should I go more slowly? Of course it could be a reactions to new foods or a new reaction to old foods...
It's probably more likely to be a reaction to a new food one of you is eating, but you could always stop the probiotic for a bit and see what happens. If it is the probiotic, then it's likely she's reacting to corn as the filler (maltodextrin) is corn-derived.
#242 of 268 Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Oh, and I started being more regular about enzymes at meals, too. Digest Gold and Peptizyde. It doesn't seem like it should be an issue, but has anyone had problems with their dc reacting to enzymes?
Sometimes proteases cause problems...hyperactivity, sleep problems, and crankiness are the reactions that I've seen reported here.
#243 of 268 Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
This week I started giving dd her Baby Life protbiotic (two scoops a day) after a break for a week or two and it has corresponded with poops that are a LOT more mucousy and greener and more frequent than ususal. Does this seem like a normal reaction? Should I go more slowly? Of course it could be a reactions to new foods or a new reaction to old foods...
This happened with dd's last round of probiotics which claimed to be dairy free on the website (and label too!) and then under the ingredients on the bottle said: Contains dairy and soy : : I was so mad, I called up the company and complained. They said if she reacts to it, I can get my money back. Well, she's had mucus in her stools before, so how do I know it's from the probiotics and not something else? However, when we stopped the mucus got better. Go figure. Blah...

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#244 of 268 Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM

So, if sugar caused feelings of rage and anger, as well as headaches...what would that mean? It's not all sugar either...certain things...and not even sugar itself, but things that are sweet. I can put brown sugar in my quinoa flakes in the mornign with no issue. I eat 2 Enjoy Life cookies and headache city. This didn't always happen, just when I started eating more sweet things. Same with grape juice. But dark chocolate does nothing to me. Some allergy free chocolate chip cookies I made did it too. There is nothing similar between the items that do it other than sweetness.

Also, I was told I had an acidic body and should take bentonite clay internally to help with it. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

#245 of 268 Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
So, if sugar caused feelings of rage and anger, as well as headaches...what would that mean? It's not all sugar either...certain things...and not even sugar itself, but things that are sweet. I can put brown sugar in my quinoa flakes in the mornign with no issue. I eat 2 Enjoy Life cookies and headache city. This didn't always happen, just when I started eating more sweet things. Same with grape juice. But dark chocolate does nothing to me. Some allergy free chocolate chip cookies I made did it too. There is nothing similar between the items that do it other than sweetness.

Also, I was told I had an acidic body and should take bentonite clay internally to help with it. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Forget I said any of this. We just met with our wonderful kinesiologist today and she told me that sugar is keeping me from healing my gut. I need to stay away from it all : : I CRAVE sugar all day long. Oh boy!

#246 of 268 Old 04-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Anyone interested in Blue Ice Pure Cod Liver Oil? It's the kind that everyone here raves about. It's the 8 fl. oz. "orange essence" unopened. I bought it and had the kinesiologist test it, but she said the Nordic Naturals tested better for me.

I would want what I payed online...$16, but I would throw in free shipping. Anyone interested?

#247 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 AM

I have been battling th Leaky Gut, Candida, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity for the past five years (symptoms before that but was unaware what was going on). I was super sick before I got pregnant and was working with a Naturopath who helped lots. 6 weeks before I found out I was pregnant I got positive test results for Leaky Gut and immediately started herbal/diet/supplements treatment. As my pregnancy progressed I kicked most of the herbs (controversial) but remarkable I began to feel much better. In fact I felt better then I remember feeling in all my life. After baby was born my gut began to decline and baby began to show signs of food sensitivities as well. To summarize I've done what you all are doing; trying EVERYTHING. I have to say I fell 'better' than I did pre-baby but my health is still laking and babe is not 100% either.

So my question goes out to all of you; has anyone tried or had luck with doing a gentle detox WHILE Breastfeeding? My son is 22 months old and we plan to Bf as long as it takes.

What I am thinking of trying is the usual Candida/TED diet along with taking Essiac tea (starting with once a day and working up), probiotics, fish oil, and possibly Grapefruit Seed extract and Oil of Oregano (although I'm not sure....worried about overloading...I want to keep it simple)

Any feed back would be great. I have checked out the Essiac tea (Burdock root, sheep sorrel herb, slippery elm bark, and Turkish rhubarb root) and it is safe for baby. The concern is what stored toxins might come out in my milk. Will his body be able to handle it if he is also taking Essiac?

I have been taking GSE and oil of Oregano for, well pretty much my sons whole life which seems to keep the yeast in check to a degree, but it is deffinatly still their in excess. I am ready for us to be well!! I am sick of being sick and seeing my little baby cry when he poops (fortunately it doesn't happen as often now)!!

Help, is there any hope of getting well while still Bfing or doing I need to wait until we wean?
#248 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 PM

As you may know, detoxing is not recommended while you are breastfeeding. Loosing weight is also not recommended because EVERYTHING will come out in breastmilk, including toxins that you have stored in your body and fat. Unless you are with an experienced expert of detoxing, I don't recommend it. However, the experienced expert will probably recomend you not to detox, unless you can store up enough b-milk; so you won't nurse while you are detoxing. I wanted to detox, but wanted to continue breastfeeding. I never used or owned a bottle. I recommend keep doing all the supplements you have mentioned above. You can add digestive enzyme with your meal (start with small doses.) And focus on the candida/yeast diet.
#249 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Hi, its me with another question

At what age do you start giviing CLO directly to your child?
#250 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
As you may know, detoxing is not recommended while you are breastfeeding. Loosing weight is also not recommended because EVERYTHING will come out in breastmilk, including toxins that you have stored in your body and fat. Unless you are with an experienced expert of detoxing, I don't recommend it. However, the experienced expert will probably recomend you not to detox, unless you can store up enough b-milk; so you won't nurse while you are detoxing. I wanted to detox, but wanted to continue breastfeeding. I never used or owned a bottle. I recommend keep doing all the supplements you have mentioned above. You can add digestive enzyme with your meal (start with small doses.) And focus on the candida/yeast diet.
Is taking digestive enzymes between meals for yeast considered detoxing? I was considering doing this but am worried about how safe it is while bf'ing.
#251 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Hi, its me with another question

At what age do you start giviing CLO directly to your child?
When they start eating some solids...9 months or so for my DD.
#252 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with this to some degree...it's generally not a good idea to detox while BF'ing, but keep in mind that if you change your diet to a healthier diet, for example, you will be detoxing to some degree. Or if you add a herb for liver support, you are probably detoxing to some degree. So...while a massive or intense cleanse would be a bad idea, I think it makes more sense to be realistic and realize that some detoxing is going on no matter what positive changes you do. It's just a matter of taking into consideration how bad the situation is (whether possible side-effects of a particular "detox" program outweigh the problems you're having), and considering possible effects of any changes you make. That's why it's generally best to start slowly to minimize the effect on a nursing babe. A toddler can probably handle a lot more than a newborn as well. JMO
#253 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifnMe View Post
I have been battling th Leaky Gut, Candida, and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity for the past five years (symptoms before that but was unaware what was going on). I was super sick before I got pregnant and was working with a Naturopath who helped lots. 6 weeks before I found out I was pregnant I got positive test results for Leaky Gut and immediately started herbal/diet/supplements treatment. As my pregnancy progressed I kicked most of the herbs (controversial) but remarkable I began to feel much better. In fact I felt better then I remember feeling in all my life. After baby was born my gut began to decline and baby began to show signs of food sensitivities as well. To summarize I've done what you all are doing; trying EVERYTHING. I have to say I fell 'better' than I did pre-baby but my health is still laking and babe is not 100% either.

So my question goes out to all of you; has anyone tried or had luck with doing a gentle detox WHILE Breastfeeding? My son is 22 months old and we plan to Bf as long as it takes.

What I am thinking of trying is the usual Candida/TED diet along with taking Essiac tea (starting with once a day and working up), probiotics, fish oil, and possibly Grapefruit Seed extract and Oil of Oregano (although I'm not sure....worried about overloading...I want to keep it simple)

Any feed back would be great. I have checked out the Essiac tea (Burdock root, sheep sorrel herb, slippery elm bark, and Turkish rhubarb root) and it is safe for baby. The concern is what stored toxins might come out in my milk. Will his body be able to handle it if he is also taking Essiac?

I have been taking GSE and oil of Oregano for, well pretty much my sons whole life which seems to keep the yeast in check to a degree, but it is deffinatly still their in excess. I am ready for us to be well!! I am sick of being sick and seeing my little baby cry when he poops (fortunately it doesn't happen as often now)!!

Help, is there any hope of getting well while still Bfing or doing I need to wait until we wean?
Did you start feeling better almost immediately after stopping the herbs during your pregnancy? If so you might want to consider the Failsafe diet as there's a good chance you are sensitive to a natural food chemical called salicylates that are highly concentrated in herbs. People with persistent yeast issues often tend to have food chemical sensitivities, and once the food chemical load is lowered the yeast will disappear as well. Here's a couple of links on this:
www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.com
www.fedupwithfoodadditives.com
#254 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Is taking digestive enzymes between meals for yeast considered detoxing? I was considering doing this but am worried about how safe it is while bf'ing.
See my other post on detoxing while bf'ing...IMO they're fine, just start slowly (maybe 1/2 cap per day and work your way up to your desired dosage) to minimize any effect on your nursling.
#255 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 PM

mum2be: My kids can eat corn syrup, rice syrup, maltodextrin and dextrose with no reaction, but no lactose from cow's milk and fruits that are high in sugar like grapes, apples, banana, etc or honey. They react very badly to beets sugar. Of course, we don't eat corn or rice syrup and such since we are still on SCD, and those are junk foods anyway.

I found out all the foods that caused reaction to my kids by writing everything down they ingested and came to contact with. It's a work, and it may take a while, but you may find a connection to which sugar source more specifically with the food diary.

If you want to stop the craving for sugar, you need to decide on a date to commit yourself to say good bye to 'sugar', and start your day with a large glass of clean water with fresh lemon juice. Hot water with lemon is yet better. Another thing is to get a juicer, and start juicing veggies. If you use organic veggies, the vit and enzyme content are much higher and better for your digestion. You can also drink the water you've used to steam veggies, too.
#256 of 268 Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM

Leifinme: My approach to health is 'gentle and wholistic.' When I read about disease about gut d/o, I knew it was not something you can take a prescription for 10 days and be cured. Matter of fact, there is no medication you can take to cure leaky gut (in my opinion.) Some may take more aggressive approach to correct the condition, but I think "time" is needed for the body to heal. And, I "listen" to the body by looking at the symptoms and changes. You are alrady doing various herbs, GSE, oil of oregano and probiotics: Give your body a chance to work it out. I personally will not detox while breast feeding because I will not risk the baby's liver and kidney to get over loaded. The clay, and other supplements works differently, but clay works the best with a use of psyllium which I will not use it with the inflamed gut like ours.

I now detox in various methods since I am done bfing. I think detoxing is important just as much as staying on the good diet, but my recommendation to you is to focus on an anti-candida diet that excludes grain and sugar. And, start taking a small doses of digestive enzymes with your meals. Focus on eating green veg, drinking clean water with fresh lemon juice, learn to make bone broth and home made yogurt. Again, this is only my personal opinion, so please take it as such.
#257 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 AM

TushasAmi: Taking the digestive enzyme at any time isn't like detoxing, as I understand it. Karen DeFelici, the author of "Enzymes for Autism and other Neurological Condition" explained at her conference "Enzymes works like (the game), Packman. It searches for the specific element and breaks it down." For an example, protease will only recognize protein, and when it finds the protein, it will break it down into pieces. So, if you take enzyme before or with the meal, it is to help the foods you ate to break down to smaller pieces. And, if the foods that you eat are broken down to the small pieces (as healthy, functional GI can do), it can be eliminated through the bowl better: A proper channel of 'detoxing.' And your gut will not be left with undigested foods for the yeast and bad bacteria to thrive on.
#258 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 AM

I took digestive enzyme religiously with meal while I was bfing. I had fewer incidents with clogged glands when I was on the enzyme. I believe enzyme was helping my digestion, therefore my lactation improved. I always got clogged glands when I ate carbohydrates, like rice. I suspect different people will get clogged gland from different food: Depending on what you are able to digest. I believe lactation is also the same as digestion: You can absorb only what you can digest and you can lactate what you can digest.

It took me a long time to dry up my milk. I was able to squeeze Bmilk 8mo. after I stopped nursing. When I cheated with a few rice crackers, wild or brown rice, or a muffin caused a clogged gland. I always thought it was due to my inability to digest rice/grain. Which is one of the cause for my yeast over-growth and leaky gut.
#259 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Leifinme: My approach to health is 'gentle and wholistic.' When I read about disease about gut d/o, I knew it was not something you can take a prescription for 10 days and be cured. Matter of fact, there is no medication you can take to cure leaky gut (in my opinion.) Some may take more aggressive approach to correct the condition, but I think "time" is needed for the body to heal. And, I "listen" to the body by looking at the symptoms and changes. You are alrady doing various herbs, GSE, oil of oregano and probiotics: Give your body a chance to work it out. I personally will not detox while breast feeding because I will not risk the baby's liver and kidney to get over loaded. The clay, and other supplements works differently, but clay works the best with a use of psyllium which I will not use it with the inflamed gut like ours.

I now detox in various methods since I am done bfing. I think detoxing is important just as much as staying on the good diet, but my recommendation to you is to focus on an anti-candida diet that excludes grain and sugar. And, start taking a small doses of digestive enzymes with your meals. Focus on eating green veg, drinking clean water with fresh lemon juice, learn to make bone broth and home made yogurt. Again, this is only my personal opinion, so please take it as such.

I have been doing all of the above (not joke, every last bit). I make my own yogurt and butter from local organic RAW milk (much easier to digest than pasteurized dairy). Which though many yeast diets say to stay away from dairy al together I really attribute the addition of Raw dairy products to our diet as being one of the big things that has helped us in healing, crazy as that may sound. I was a vegan for many years but after much time on extremely strict diets my body was not digging the no dairy or meat, despite my calculated effort to get enough protein and complete proteins.
Anyway, I agree with your approach I too am very in tune with my body and adhere to a VERY gentle approach to healing. I have to admit that I get a bit impatient sometimes though and am liable to changes gears quickly and try a new diet or research a new possibility. This past year for a while I was researching Celiacs and almost hoping that was our problem not the leaky gut...seems like a much more simple answer (though incredible challenging to deal with) than the vague and ambiguous possibilities one is handed with LGS.
I will be contacting my naturopath and midwife to see where they weigh in on this one. I just was wondering if anyone had tried or had luck with Essiac tea and LGS. For that matter has anyone actually healed LG 100% ? Is there hope of really being better and not battling food or your gut (at least the little buggers in there) ???!!!
#260 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the websites. With having Multiple Chemical Sensetivity I deffinetly avoid the food additives (and everything else chemical) but I didn't realize that you can react the same way to whole foods...that there are the same compounds...it makes sense. Well something more to look at. Thanks!
#261 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 01:26 AM

I totally understand being frustrated to a constant battle and thinking about a chronic condition like leaky gut (that involved eating.)

Regarding dairy, I think some people have no problem with dairy, but many of us do. Most of the books I've read about yeast controlling diet recommend "no dairy." Yet, they don't specify what kind. I think raw or cultured dairy are extremely beneficial. I found only the SCD and Karen DeFelice in her book (a little bit) will explain that.

I do better being a vegan, but I still eat grass fed cows, fish, eggs, honey, etc. However, the most important is not eating the junk: Choose better fat, oil, meat, water, salt, etc. The only dairy I eat is the SCD home made yogurt and a very occasional goat cheese; BUT, I only take D/F probiotic in a capsul when I am detoxing

I do use various herb teas, but I only drink one kind at a time, depending on my symptom(s).

Boy, I dream of curing the leaky gut 100%. We started with a long list of food sensitivities, but it has shrunk. I have not tried any grain on the kids, yet. I function better with no grain or dairy in my diet. I think I will always be like that. I think my kids may be like that as well. I'd be happy as long as my kids stay healthy to pursue their happiness. Besides, what is healthy about eating gluten anyway. There are other super foods that will be good for us (it's just very time consuming in the kitchen though....)
#262 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 02:01 AM

Ahhh..yes the time in the kitchen. I have to say it has made me a much better cook! Interesting that you don't take probiotics except when you are detoxing...I take copious amounts. What is your theory?

I am realizing that though I eat better than most people who say they eat REALLY well i have relaxed on a few things and need to step up the anti again. It had gotten to a point for me this fall where I was so obsessed and had been for years about every thing I put in my mouth that I felt like I was starting to really go crazy and maybe my and my sons symptoms were all in my head. I backed off a bit and relaxed into a diet that would mostly be considered a yeast diet.

OH...how I crave to just feel well and for my son to be well too!!!
#263 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 AM

LeifnMe: I do eat my yogurt everyday, but I stop eating yogurt, and just take probiotic capsul when I am detoxing. Sorry to have confused you.
#264 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
This happened with dd's last round of probiotics which claimed to be dairy free on the website (and label too!) and then under the ingredients on the bottle said: Contains dairy and soy : : I was so mad, I called up the company and complained. They said if she reacts to it, I can get my money back. Well, she's had mucus in her stools before, so how do I know it's from the probiotics and not something else? However, when we stopped the mucus got better. Go figure. Blah...
Out of curiousity, which probiotics were these? I'm on the lookout for other dairy free infant probiotics and I don't want to repeat the experience you had.

I stopped giving her the BabyLife and the mucous seemed to get better. But my dd has always had mucous, too, so I'm just trying to interpret varying degrees of severity. Blah is right!
#265 of 268 Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM

I thought they were the Natren bifidus ones, but they sent me Ethical Nutrients (which is their brand too?) dairy free bifidus.

We are having no trouble iwth the Custom Probiotics brand. Although quite expensive, the kinesiologist checked them and said they were 100% beneficial for us.

#266 of 268 Old 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi Ladies,

Is our may thread up?

For the dry eczema, what is everyone doing topically? I remember EPO, or what that oral? We have dry, persistently flaking skin that is scarring -- which is concerning to me b/c it makes the itching worse. I have tried mineral oil, Vaseline, etc...even olive oil didn't help. Any thoughts?
#267 of 268 Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
Hi Ladies,

Is our may thread up?

For the dry eczema, what is everyone doing topically? I remember EPO, or what that oral? We have dry, persistently flaking skin that is scarring -- which is concerning to me b/c it makes the itching worse. I have tried mineral oil, Vaseline, etc...even olive oil didn't help. Any thoughts?
You can use EPO both topically and internally. My DD's eczema is pretty mild but lanolin works really well on it.
#268 of 268 Old 05-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Here's the link to the May thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...66#post8051266

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page