Help - 3 month old with cough and congestion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3-month old started developing a slight cough yesterday and it is worse today. She coughs more when she is crying. She is also congested.

Any suggestions for natural therapies to try to help her feel better? We have already tried the steaming...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 07:06 PM

I just posted a similer question in "life with a babe" , I asked about homiopathics & overall advice. My DS is 3 mo also, poor babies. Maybe check mine out & see what comes up between the two? Good luck.

hippie.gif     goodvibes.gifearth.gif         treehugger.gif          caffix.gif         broc1.gif         trekkie.gif              signcirc1.gif           whale.gif

Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 PM

I am so sorry you are having this issue. We had the same situation with DD from about 2 to 4 months--congestion and a cough that would wake her up from naps and sleep. I was too nervous to try any remedies directly on her. I did give her some of the hyland's C cold tablets. But at a certain point, she turned her head and didn't want them, so I stopped. I just megadosed on sodium ascorbate and occasionally took Emergen-C.
We did a lot of steam showers and bought a humidifier so we could sleep!
The one thing that worked before bed was a dropper of breast milk in the nose. She tolerated milk much better than saline stuff and it seemed to keep her clear through the night. I would often give her one in the morning, too.
Good luck. It breaks your heart when the little ones get sick.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Breast feeding moms should take lots of Sodium ascorbate powder (SA) as soon as they notice that their babies have any kind of croup, cough, or congestion.

You can also give it to the child. Mix the SA with bm and spoon feed it to dc.

SA powder works much better than Vita C.

Links and other suggestions.

ETA - squirt (or use a med dropper) some bm into the nose to clear up nasal congestion.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am taking a lot more Vitamin C and Echinacea to help ward off any cold germs I might have.

Any suggestions for brands of Sodium ascorbate? I will try to order from drugstore.com or other similar websites today.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 PM

This will get you to the type and brand I use. It comes within two days to the house. I buy the large bottle because it does not go out of date.

http://www.bronsonvitamins.com/app/s...tm?&item_id=50
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM

I had a lot of problems getting the SA into my baby via dropper. She just spit it all back out and got mad on top of that. I finally just gave up and took it myself. I hope you have better luck if you try it on babe. Or if anyone has suggestions [should it be offered when she's hungry? But then baby gets really PO'd...].
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Great that you took it yourself. If you take it 20 min. before nursing the baby gets quite a bit of it. No matter if the baby takes it or not, you should still take it anyway.

Also you can mix it with bm and feed it to the baby with the med dropper. Put it into the side of his cheek and offer the nipple right away.

For some it works, for others it doesn't.

Taking it yourself is certainly the next best thing.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milopup View Post
My 3-month old started developing a slight cough yesterday and it is worse today. She coughs more when she is crying. She is also congested.

Any suggestions for natural therapies to try to help her feel better? We have already tried the steaming...

Thanks.

milopup, It's really very sad to heard about your baby. I don't know which natural therapies you should use on your baby. But on one thing I am very much sure that You should not give your child (especially a baby or toddler) OTC cough medicine without specific instructions to do so from your child's doctor.

User Tag List