Essential Oils - good brands?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am learning about essential oils and am looking around for which brands are the best. I hear (from a lot of Young Living consultants!) that Young Living is the very best, practically the only brand to buy. But I'd like to hear that from folks that don't have a vested interest in the brand!

Other brands people have mentioned as being very good are OmnEssence, Rocky Mountain Oils, Original Swiss Aromatics, Aqua Vita, and Tisserand.

Can anyone comment on this? I want to be sure to get an excellent brand, but I also don't want to pay through the nose (Rocky Mountain Oils are half the cost of Young Living!)

Thanks for any help!

Melissa
#2 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM

I have Young Living oils and I'm not a salesperson. I also have some from Tisserand. They work really well, too. I don't know where you are, but these came from overseas.
#3 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Those are all good brands as far as I know. Although the Young brand is considered best, I find that it doesn't always smell that great. I'm pretty happy with the Oshadhi brand that you can get at Whole Foods.

I made a lotion from scratch, and when it was completely cool I put in some lavender oil. It works great for under-eye puffiness. It seems like it works even better than lotions from the store.

#4 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 04:48 PM

I'm a practicing aromatherapist... I like Elizabeth Van Buren. The company is based out of California, a husband and wife team last I heard. They're reasonably priced, will sell wholesale in bulk, and the husband is a chemist and tests their oils for purity. I've been pretty happy with them.

Though, adulteration methods are becoming so sophisticated, sometimes it's impossible to tell when an oil has been tampered with.

Have fun!
#5 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM

I didn't read the other replies. I use young living and have no financial interest in their co. i've used Tiferet and it was okay and I also use Brain Garden.

IMO YL is the best.
#6 of 9 Old 04-10-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies... I'd love to hear more! Are there more moms out there who use essential oils?
#7 of 9 Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM

what do you plan on doing with them? are you the only one who is going to use them? are you going to do massage? do you have an illness you are trying to treat?
I started out with YL as a distributor so I could get the discount. I have a huge stash. My aunt had breast cancer/ diabetes and I used them on her. I also bought some cheaper priced oils here and there to try them out. I don't mind to use these for fragrance purposes, cleaning, soap making, pest control ect. I only ingest and use the YL for medicinal purposes. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Tisserand is okay for beauty and fragrance. Rockymountain is good too. I guess it just depends on what you want it for.
I say you won't really know unless you try a few from different brands. I am interested in getting a new glass nebulizer. If anyone has any particular favorite?
#8 of 9 Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ikesmom,

I just ordered the starter kit from YL - I know they are great oils and like you said, I don't have to buy *only* YL. I want to have some on hand for various things - I want the Thieves for fighting colds when we are out (my girlfriend just went to Disney of all places with her daughter who sucks her thumb a lot and she didn't get sick - woohoo) and I want some of the others for my dad's prostate, I'd like the one for cleansing for me (I can't remember the name of it) and my mom's mom died of breast cancer, so I want to get the cancer fighter for my mom (and my sister and me too). I'm still learning, but I have access to the book (again, I forget the name of it) - the desk reference - so I can be sure of the remedies I am using. Another mom said a mix of peppermint and I think lavender helps with her seasonal allergies.

Our chapter of the Holistic Moms Network had a speaker from YL last month who told us all about the benefits of the oils and I am excited to start using them.

Thanks for your post... Another friend and I are going to sign up together as a consultant to get the discounted prices. I think that is probably best...

M
#9 of 9 Old 04-11-2007, 02:29 AM

i buy floracopeia for work and home, internal and external usage. they are the highest quality that i can find. david crow, the owner/founder, is an amazing herbalist who oversees the process from garden/forest to bottle. he also only allows sustainable harvesting, amongst many other wonderful business practices. www.floracopeia.com

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page