Mothering Forum banner

talk to me about Coca-Cola?

983 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  viking 
#1 ·
I would like to know everything there is to know about Coca-Cola,
especially how it relates to underweight.

Anyone?

-- [EDIT]

sorry i was not clear.

yes. an underweight person desperatly wants to gain weight.
and does not believe excessive coca cola drinking is sabotaging their efforts.
'if anything i should gaing weight, but i dont. therefore it is not unhealthy' is the strange argument i am trying to dismiss.

what arguments would should i use to make them brake the habit?
(all health-related arguments are appreciated ofcourse.)

i believe it is somehow disturbing the body's want for food, and think stop drinking would give the person apetite so it would be easier to gain.

i would like to prove my point with some science if possible.

See less See more
#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
well i'm not sure if this relates to under weight? but i know that you can clean your toilets with it and it does a better job than bleach....i know that police can clean blood up with coca-cola...what eactly do you mean..under weight?
It is also good in the washing machine if you have grease on your clothes

#6 ·
Underweight- well, caffeine is an appetite suppressant, so theoretically somebody could fill up on cola and then not have any appetite for "real food" and then lose weight. More common, though, is for somebody to fill up on the empty calories, not feel satisfied, and eat even more. Either way, too much soda can lead to malnutrition (and obesity is often caused by malnutrition- your body keeps taking in more food to try and get the nutrients it needs.)

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowenTherapist View Post
you think it is contributing to underweightness?
sorry i was not clear.

yes. an underweight person desperatly wants to gain weight.
and does not believe excessive coca cola drinking is sabotaging their efforts.
'if anything i should gaing weight, but i dont. therefore it is not unhealthy' is the strange argument i am trying to dismiss.

what arguments would should i use to make them brake the habit?
(all health-related arguments are appreciated ofcourse.)

i believe it is somehow disturbing the body's want for food, and think stop drinking would give the person apetite so it would be easier to gain.

i would like to prove my point with some science if possible.

#10 ·
Are you talking about me?

I drink too much Coca-Cola. I am underweight. But I drink caffeine free (not that that's much better).

I know I should break the habit. I've been drinking it since I was a little girl. Otherwise my diet is okay (good for "mainstream," other than the Coke, but bad for here).

Sorry, I have no science for you but I'm subbing.

#14 ·
Anything that is empty calories is basically unhealthy to consume in large amounts. Pop of any sort is empty calories.

And when someone's stomach is full of fluid, any kind, they will not be hungry for food, healthy or not.

#15 ·
I found some information in a norwegian pharmaceutical article.

Disclaimer: i am not a translator, and medical terms are hard. there may very well be errors. at least some strange wordings.

"Effects and side-effects.

The most important effectmechanism of caffein is a blockade of adenosine A1- and A2-receptors, and most effects mediates via this mechanism. In addition caffein has in vitro shown to restrain the enzyme fosfodiesterase, but only in consentrations higher then what one
attain with a moderate caffeinconsumption.

Caffein stimulates the central nervous system, and use of caffein leads to increased well-being, better mood, increased concentration, increased awakeness with delayed sleep-need, feeling of more energy and a possible improvement of certain cognitive functions. Caffein increases physical endurance-ability, and the drug is classified as a performance-enhancing drug by the International Olympic COmittee.

A series of disadvantageous effects has been described by consumption of caffein. The risk of serious damage is however so small that caffein can not be said to involve any healthrisk as long as the drug is not consumed in very large doses. Lethal doses for adults are calculated to be 5-10 grams.
A chronic consumption of more then 500 miligrams daily (equal to 1 liter coffee) may cause caffeinism. Caffeinism is characterized by symptoms as anxiety, irritability, chronic insomina, anorexia and low fever. Caffeinism may thus be a differential diagnosis to a variety of conditions.

In patiens with generalized anxiety and panic-anxiety, intake of caffein may worsen the illness. ALso in patients with heart-arrhythmia (takyarhythmia) and dyspepsia, caffein may worsen symptoms.
[...]"

#16 ·
#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
you can clean your toilets with it and it does a better job than bleach....i know that police can clean blood up with coca-cola...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
It is also good in the washing machine if you have grease on your clothes

Quote:

Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post
Coke made the pennies shiny and new.

I clean my drains with a half of a two litre bottle of Coke.

i get a lot of yacki mental images of what Coke does to the inside of our bodies when reading tips like that. and want to say that 'coke contains so strong and bad chemicals it even cleans toilets better then bleach!'.
but, so does vinegar bs and lemon. and i do not consider them dangerous to the body. so i better not use that argument to get coke out of the house. hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.