Toddler with brownish flakes on scalp? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

DD will be 3 this summer. Today I noticed that she was itching her scalp. When I looked closer, I noticed that she has brown flakes. They look like dry skin flakes, but they are kind of greasy.

Any idea what this is or what I can do?

She does have food allergies. So this could be part of a reaction - although she has never had this happen before.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those are signs of food allergies. I don't know enough about it but wanted to your thread up.

#3 of 9 Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Interesting-- my toddler has some too. It looks like cradle cap. No known food allergies here.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 AM

My 4 year old DD gets that. Two things make it go away. 1. Cradle cap lotion on her head (yes it makes her hair greasy. I put it on overnight and wash it in the morning, or just let her be greasy all day. Who cares?)
2. A DHA supplement like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Nutri-West-COM...6867810&sr=8-1

Angie
#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 AM

dd had that too, seemed like cradle cap, so that is how i treated it. it went away with scrubbing in coconut oil into scalp, letting it sit over night, then combing scalp to get the flakes off. kinda yucky but it worked, picking the flakes off didn't wasn't painful to dd
#6 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 AM

dd who is 2.5 still has that on her head...i was told cradle crap as well. it went away with mustela cradle cap treatment...

interesting about the food allergy thing though. the more i read, the more i am convinced that the food allergies i think dd has but ped doesn't seem to take seriously maybe DO need to be looked into further!
#7 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 AM

My son has it too and has food allergies. Now that we've been on allergy meds for a few weeks, his scalp thingy is gone.

I don't think true cradle cap happens beyond infancy. But I'm not that experienced in the world of all things baby.

OMG! I am such a dork... I didn't even see it was you... and to think I almost passed off really bad advice. Call me.
#8 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Cradle cap (dandruff essentially). I did the coconut oil thing too...left it on for quite a while and the massaged and combed (I used a clearn toothbrush and my fingers mostly). He actually didn't mind after I got going...I think because the itching was driving him nuts.

We've always had fish oil (cod liver) so that didn't help in our case nor did oils taken internally (including coconut).

My son does have food allergies as well. Shortly after the cradle cap thing he started getting hives and a rash. We did have allergy testing and figured out what foods were causing it. He has environmental allergies as well. I don't know if the the food allergies were connected to the head thing or not but it is possible.

Oh the allergist recommended only olive oil (extra virgin to be most pure) on the skin of allergic kids. I've sort of done that though I really think most olive oils are contaminated anyway so I sort of question it. I like coconut on him but I know that is an allergen for some kids.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 9 Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
My son has it too and has food allergies. Now that we've been on allergy meds for a few weeks, his scalp thingy is gone.

I don't think true cradle cap happens beyond infancy. But I'm not that experienced in the world of all things baby.

OMG! I am such a dork... I didn't even see it was you... and to think I almost passed off really bad advice. Call me.
JM, HA!

This is the first time we have bumped into each other on a thread I think! TOO FUNNY! Let's talk today sometime. I didn't know L had this on his head too???

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I talked to another mom locally last night who said that she had the same thing on her kids (and they have NO food allergies) and that it was because she was using the bathtub water to rinse the shampoo off when she washed hair. This is exactly what I do with DD. She said that the build up from the shampoo can clog pores and create something very much like cradle cap. She suggested rinsing with only fresh water and using cradle cap remedies.

We washed DDs hair last night and rinsed with fresh water, then used a stiff brush to get the flakes off. I will put some oil on her head today -- but it is like 95% gone -- so we shall see...

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page