Fever 5 days in a 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is three years old. On Thursday night (6 days ago) he didn't sleep at all. In retrospect, I believe that was the start of an ear infection but at the time I thought it was due to hives. : (he was reacting to apples).

Friday afternoon (5 days ago) he started with a low grade fever which peaked at I think 103. It continues and has ranged from 99 to 102. The 101.8 was his peak today (5 days into fever). The 5 days is what is bothering me, not the temp itself.

He isn't eating well and is a fussy and sleeping a lot. None of that bothers me particularly. He actually acts like he feels a bit better than he did at the outset of this infection and is eating a bit better. His appetite was low even before the onset of this and I attributed that to food allergies and a cold. His ears are bothering him-he doesn't want me to touch them at all--and that with the fever and continued symptoms make me pretty sure this is an ear infection. He also has a swollen lymph node behind one ear (pea sized).

I'm doing everything I know to do (cod liver oil, no dairy/sugar, probiotics, sodium ascorbate, hydration, garlic/mullein oil, ear massage, lots of rest). I can't do herbals because he has allergies and reacts to too many. The concern I have is that no ear infection with him has ever lasted even close to this time frame--usually he is better in 24 to 48 hours. Even his brother who takes a long time to clear ear infections doesn't run a fever for 5 days. This guy is usually quite healthy with a great immune system. I don't get it.

So....5 to 6 days of fever...what do I do now? The length of time concerns me.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 PM

I would take hime to the ped. More because your mommy instinct is telling you something is "off." When my dd had pneumonia at a year old, she had had a fever for over a week, and lots of sleeping.
I am not saying it's pneumonia, but there might be some other infection going on. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 PM

It does seem like along time, I agree.

Try massaging his ears downward. Don't touch the ear, just straddle it between your first and second finger and massage down toward the throat. Also give him something to drink every 15 minutes. Warm water with SA and honey. He needs to drink continuously.

If he does not show improvements within another day, take him to the chiro and get an adjustment.

You could take him to the ped and get his opinion.

JMO
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Gitti,
I am massaging the ears downward. We had a chiro appt. yesterday. I have a ped. appt. tomorrow. I know the ped. will give an antibiotic.
This kiddo has never had an antibiotic...
I'm actually scared a bit now (especially since it seems even you would be concerned)
Would you do an antibiotic in these circumstances? (say this is an ear infection or pneumonia...I'm thinking ears but he has been coughing too).

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 04-18-2007, 12:28 AM

The ped may tell you that he could lose hearing. When my DD was like that (lasted even longer and fever was higher), she had a raging double ear infection and her ped did strongly push abx. When I questioned it, she mentioned that an infection of this sort could cause hearing damage. Mind you, I don't know how likely that is, and I'm not even sure abx were the right choice.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I've been down the road of ear infection that never clears up even with repeat antibiotics with his twin brother. That is why I am loathe to give antibiotics for an ear infection. I know what can happen. His brother's immune system was absolutely wrecked for a long time due to that.
The five days of fever has me concerned though. Rats--I hate these decisions. I am afraid I'm missing something. My gut is telling me I'm missing something I guess. Obviously his body isn't handling this for some reason.
I'm not worried about his hearing. His brother has come out of much worse and I know how to get rid of fluid. I just can't figure out why he isn't fighting this better.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Update on my own thread. In the middle of the night I went in to give him some water (he was asleep but with fever I want to keep him hydrated) and he wasn't running a temp at all. So far no temp today either.
I cancelled the ped. appt. and scheduled cranial therapy for Friday.
I'm still a bit uneasy but if he continues with no fever over then next 24 to 48 hours I'd say he's good! (Still not liking the ear massage so I'd say still an infection but he's eating well today too).

Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Yay!! Glad he's doing better! And I know how you feel about repeat ear infections and abx...My ds had chronic ear infectioins for the first half of his life...the chiro fixed it...He's been ear infection free for about a year now.
As far as ear infections scarring ears/causing hearing loss--Yes, it happens --though I do not know the statistic for it. My dh is 50% deaf in both ears, from chronic undetected/untreated ear infections in childhood. It's a hard line to walk. We are so happy that our son seems to have found health in a non-antibiotic way.

I hope the fever stays away!!!

User Tag List